Notices

The All-Star break bro-down [Merged, All ASG Talk Here]

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2012, 11:43 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
I hate when people write "Brah". They just pronounce it "Bruh" anyways.

Also, the BDT thread prefix is the greatest thing ever.

Old
01-26-2012, 01:28 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 2084
i really dont like the all star game

as shown by my avatar

Old
01-26-2012, 02:06 AM
HPsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldunclehue View Post
If anyone heard Bob Irvings commentary today, he hit the nail on the head, Jets need offence to make the playoff run. Only two guys on pace for 20 goals, and 50 points is not where you want your offence to be, but our Jets are sitting better than I think most thought they would be.

I like the build through the draft option, and think it's the route we should take. But I am concerned about building a team around our young star Evander Kane. I've been told by a handful of people, one who has to do with his housing, that he is not a fan of playing hockey here. Whether it is the lack of anonymity or smaller city, who knows. But I trust Chevy will sort it out and either get all we can get for him or sign him if hes all in!
I've heard Kane address all of this talk of him not wanting to play here. He said he was looking forward to playing her for a long time. That shut down any insecurities i may have had about Kane. I think he wants to play here long term.

I also think that when people think of the Jets they think of Kane. He's had a target on his back ever since the team was relocated.

There might be some transition type problems he might be having, as will a lot of the players on the roster. It takes time to settle into a new home, new city, new culture, and so on. Winnipeg will grow on the players, just like any other place in the world they could possibly be building roots.

Old
01-26-2012, 02:19 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

People need to lay off the Kane speculation. The guy has probably made some questionable decisions, but what 20 year old millionaire in a new city wouldn't? So far, every rumor about him as been proven false (trade request, dine-and-dash, bar fight, "the Dirty", etc).

[mod]

Last edited by Jet: 01-26-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: That is far too political and presumptuous for this board.
Old
01-26-2012, 02:50 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

When were those rumours proven to be false?

There is also the possibility that he has acted like an ass in restaurants and he did get into something at a bar that is causing him to receive the attention.

Old
01-26-2012, 03:34 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post

There is also the possibility that he has acted like an ass in restaurants and he did get into something at a bar that is causing him to receive the attention.
Since when was a rumor true?

Old
01-26-2012, 03:39 AM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post

When "NHL security" looked into the matter and found nothing, backed up by a Jets executive. When Lawless looked into the matter, he found nothing but restaurant owners with "good things to say about Kane".

The whole thing is baseless and is only being perpetuated by the presumptions and rumour mongering of some fans.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...171010484.html

[mod]

Last edited by Jet: 01-26-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: qdp
Old
01-26-2012, 09:19 AM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

I have been thinking more about our team and what our vision will be. Currently we are slipping out of a playoff spot and it's easy to panic.

When you look at our team we have decent young talent but we are not like Chicago or Pittsburgh were by any stretch. we do not have an elite can't miss core of sub 21 year olds and because of that I think we are going to have to be flexible in our approach.

We will probably follow more of a Boston model but our own version of it and by that i mean we may not have the best three players on the ice in any given game but we have the next best 10 players in the game. I believe Chevy and Zinger will have a coherent vision of the finished product and by the end of the year they will know which pieces fit and which don't (if they don't already). To be clear none of us know currently what our boys are doing behind the scenes to make this team better right now.

No matter how this season ends I want to see us compete to the end.

Next year I would like to see a team take the ice that can get 96 points and is firmly in the mix of the 2nd tier. I would like to see progression and a coherent lineup with more balance and 4 lines that make sense night in night out and all punch to their weight. Adding an elite asset to our top 6 might or might not be ambitious but having a third line that gets 110 points collectively and plays with an edge is achievable and that alone could add 6 to 8 points for the Jets.

By the third or fourth year in Winnipeg I would like to see this team take shape and I would expect it to be a reflection of what we can expect long term from a Chevy Zinger team. My hopes are that that team would be a perennial playoff team with the talent to compete with anyone in a 7 game series and capable of going on a run in the playoffs and winning it all if things broke our way. But not in a one and done event like Edmonton or Calgary had but in a strong base every year we can compete type of way.

In my mind if we hit these bench marks our Managment is doing a great job

Old
01-26-2012, 10:04 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
would it be over the top to take away the "C" from Ladd and give it to Bogosian? i dunno i always thought a Captain is a guy who leads by example on ice and Ladd just hasn't done that this year, While he might be young i think Bogosian is most deserving of being the Captain of this team.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:06 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
would it be over the top to take away the "C" from Ladd and give it to Bogosian? i dunno i always thought a Captain is a guy who leads by example on ice and Ladd just hasn't done that this year, While he might be young i think Bogosian is most deserving of being the Captain of this team.
Yes,

I dont know how well that would go over.

With the fans or players

Old
01-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 844
Quote:
That would be terrible. I don't think Bogo is deserving over Ladd in any way. I don't see where Bogo is demonstrating great leadership qualities.

He's shown greatly improved play this year and a fine attitude. That's the most I can say for Bogo.

Andrew Ladd is older, more experienced, and has two Stanley Cup rings. He's currently the second-leading goal scorer on this team, and lead the team in points last year.

He's active in the community, was one of the most outspoken when it came to saying good things about the organization and the types of players we want in it. He signed here long-term for 5 years and was one of the first, if not the first, to sign, on July 5th. Zach was one of the last, not signing until Sept 14th, with rumours of a holdout almost starting.

Ladd might not be the most vocal captain, but Bogo isn't exactly a chatterbox either. Another note: Ladd has dropped the gloves for his teammates this year. Bogo has not. He does have a major and a misconduct for boarding though.

Stripping the 'C' from Ladd and give it to Bogo has no logic. To do it just to shake things up would be silly. It wouldn't go well with players or fans. And Bogo wouldn't be my pick for an 'A' over our current assistant captains either - Stuart, Thorburn, Enstrom and Buff. (all of whom are 27-28 years old).

Old
01-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Savardian Spinarama
Grippin' 'n Grinnin'

Agreed, I don't think this would be a good move and I would be really surprised if they are even contemplating it. I think Ladd has raised his game lately (he did have a tough stretch there for a few games), and he's been both better offensively and not turning over the puck in bad situations nearly as much.

Plus I think he's a solid citizen. My two boys love him, and I can point to him for my youngest, who's just starting out in hockey, as a guy who works hard and represents properly.

Old
01-26-2012, 12:18 PM
HPsauce

Quote:
No doubt, Bogosian is one of or if not our best player. I for one have not been a huge fan of always having your best player as the "C". Andrew Ladd is a class act all around, and sets a great example of who you should be on the ice (follows game plan) and off the ice. Ladd is a gritty player, not a whole wack of amazing stick skills, but knows where he has to be on the ice and knows how to win. If we had a team of all Andrew Ladd's we would probably win most nights. He's the best choice for Captain, i hope he plays the rest of his career in Winnipeg and i hope he retires as the Captain of the Winnipeg Jets.

Old
01-26-2012, 01:13 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
(...)

I think all these rumors are being started about Kane due to someone who has it out for him in a personal manner.
This.

I really wish people would stop retweeting / re-posting these rumours. I remember myself when I was 20 - no millionaire sports figure was I, but I had my "d-bag" tendencies that I ended up growing out of. It's not even established that he's acting as has been portrayed - all we have are uncorroborated rumours. The dude's young and talented - there are bound to be people out there that want to take him down a notch, which is what I think is happening here.

My opinion only, of course.

Old
01-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 844
I was a moron in my teens and early 20's. I think I had an epiphany about when I was around 24 that I needed to grow up (just a little ) and think outside of myself.

Old
01-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

A 20 year old, millionaire pro athlete with attitude and entitlement issues? Whodathunkit?

I personally couldn't care less if someone is a "nice guy" away from the rink. I care insofar as whether his personality is a disruptive influence within the locker room. And quite frankly, if the locker room leadership isn't strong enough to force 1 or 2 guys with attitude/behaviour issues to eventually fall in line, then perhaps you need to start looking at making it stronger.

Old
01-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdManIn View Post
Does R&O mean research and development in American?
The O is silent

01-26-2012, 03:22 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
The O is silent

Odevelopment.....

Old
01-26-2012, 03:24 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Odevelopment.....
Like 'Duya - the O is silent.

I have no clue what's going on here.

Old
01-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

you guys are so silly.

Old
01-26-2012, 03:26 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Like 'Duya - the O is silent.

I have no clue what's going on here.
Ooooooohhhhh....I get it.

Old
01-26-2012, 03:28 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Ooooooohhhhh....I get it.
I'm glad one of us does!

Old
01-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Wow... You guys are gonna lose it over the ASB aren't you?

Old
01-26-2012, 03:45 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
I'm not. This board needed a break pretty bad. Hopefully we can all come back with our heads on straight. (once again for safety reasons ? )

Old
01-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Jets win 6-1
Ron Hainsey scores

Closed Thread