HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Will the Leafs make the playoffs and how far will they go?

View Poll Results: How far will the leafs go?
Will not make playoffs 38 45.24%
First Round 26 30.95%
Second Round 9 10.71%
Third Round 1 1.19%
Finals 1 1.19%
Cup Winners 9 10.71%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-26-2012, 10:46 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

vCash: 500
Yes, they'll make the playoffs but they'll lose in 5 to Boston or the Rangers.

01-26-2012, 11:10 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Make the playoffs and be out in 6.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:17 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Joe Corvo View Post
Didn't Burkie say last year at the deadline that there's no point to making the playoffs if you're just going to get your ***** kicked in the 1st round. The team was starting to come together and play rather well at the time too, iirc.

The Leafs are moving in the right direction, but for the most part, I'd say they're in the same boat as they were last year. Lots of season left, but right now, it looks like there's a good chance a similar scenario could play out again. I wonder if Burke will show a little more faith in his guys this year. They ARE ALL his guys.

I don't agree with Burke. I think your core players will benefit greatly from as much playoff experience as they can get; even if it's an ass whoopin.

The 1st year the B's snuck into the playoffs under Julien, everybody "knew" that they were gonna get it handed to em by the Habs in the 1st round. You'll never get a Habs fan to admit it, but the B's gave em all they could handle in that series even if it was a loss. If nothing else, the B's young core learned that they were capable of really cranking it up when it mattered, and they were damn close to getting where they needed to be.

I think they can make it in. Doesn't matter what anybody other than Burke thinks though. That's the way it seems anyway. That guy's just a little too proud imo.

*shoulda said core players. Our team looked different back then in more than a few key areas.
You misunderstood what he said. He said there's no point in him trading young players or valuable assets for a potential rental or veteran to barely squeak us into the playoffs by the skin of our teeth and then get our ass kicked in the first round. This was around last year's trade deadline.

He never said anything about just making the playoffs in general and getting creamed in the first round. You're right, it would be good experience, and I'm pretty sure Burke recognizes that himself.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Fat Jughead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
You misunderstood what he said. He said there's no point in him trading young players or valuable assets for a potential rental or veteran to barely squeak us into the playoffs by the skin of our teeth and then get our ass kicked in the first round. This was around last year's trade deadline.

He never said anything about just making the playoffs in general and getting creamed in the first round. You're right, it would be good experience, and I'm pretty sure Burke recognizes that himself.
Aaaah! Yes, that makes sense now...I'm still gonna hate on Burkie and make completely unfounded accusations.

Too proud, out of touch, arrogant herp derp

Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Doesn't matter; parade is already planned.

But seriously, 1st round exit. Next year they come back with more experience and have a better shot

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:13 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
If they can manage to bring it consistently they may just make it. Unfortunately consistant strong efforts are not a team strength. I'd have to say they fall short but hope i'm wrong.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:28 PM
RaskY
Re-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
If they can manage to bring it consistently they may just make it. Unfortunately consistant strong efforts are not a team strength. I'd have to say they fall short but hope i'm wrong.
I disagree. I think the effort level is there, and the team has improved greatly from past seasons. Even when they lose it seems as if it is a pretty close game and ones that they could have had with a couple of lucky bounces.

In all seriousness, I think they make it 7th place. Probable 1st round exit.

RaskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:37 PM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

1.Boston---
...............|
...............8.Toronto---
...............|.............|
8.Toronto---............... 8.Toronto---
.................................|
...............2.New york-- 8.Toronto ............................................<---> 2.Vancouver
|
4. Philly-----

Believe it!

That didn't work the way i wanted it.

get to the point. the leafs play canucks in the finals!

Last edited by dannyboy8920: 01-26-2012 at 01:44 PM.
dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:39 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Doesn't matter; parade is already planned.

But seriously, 1st round exit. Next year they come back with more experience and have a better shot
Who told?

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:45 PM
ponder

Decent shot at making the playoffs, I'll go with a roughly 50/50 chance, maybe a bit better than than that.

As for how far we go, depends on our 1st round matchup. I'll assume that if we make the playoffs, it'll be as a 6th-8th seed, and I'll assume that New York, Boston and Washington hang on to the top 3 seeds.
- Boston would destroy us, wouldn't be a series at all, could easily be a sweep
- If we played the Rangers I feel like it'd be a hard fought 6ish game series that we probably lose. We're 2-1-0 against the Rangers in the regular season this year, but in the playoffs I think they eek out a hard fought win
- If we somehow made it to 6th place, and played the Caps, I think we'd beat them in 6-7 games. We're 1-1-0 against them this year, but the win was a 7-1 beatdown, while the loss was a 4-2 loss. Last year, when we were significantly worse, and they were significantly better, 3 of our 4 games came down to a shootout. We always play well against the Caps, and they're playoff chokers, I think we'd take em down

To summarize, Boston would own us (possible sweep), Rangers would be a close series that we'd probably lose, Washington would be a close series that I think we could win.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Schalkenullvier*

I thought OP was a habs troll

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

9th seed. If they make it into the playoffs, 1st round exit coming nowhere close to advancing. They have about a 50% chance of making the playoffs as of now, I don't think they will.

I'd only see them as a 8-6 seed if they made the playoffs. They won't beat Boston, New York, or Washington.

Dellstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Grabovski
Грабовский правил

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
9th seed. If they make it into the playoffs, 1st round exit coming nowhere close to advancing. They have about a 50% chance of making the playoffs as of now, I don't think they will.

I'd only see them as a 8-6 seed if they made the playoffs. They won't beat Boston, New York, or Washington.
75% brah

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Ari91

I'd say 50/50 shot they make playoffs and it won't be anything higher than 6th seed.

Assuming the division leaders stay the same, Boston will sweep them in 4, they may be able to hold to for a 5-6 game series against the Rangers. They could potentially win a series against the Caps. Overall, playoff games beyond the first round seem extremely unlikely.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:31 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post

Actually a 70.5% chance of making the playoffs as of now.

Where did you get your numbers from?

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Leafan519

I love how theres more votes for "win the cup" than "second round" lol.

I feel like they're gunna get in as the 6th/7th seed and upset the Rangers or Caps but will get beat in 5 or 6 in the second round. I honestly don't care if they get swept in the first round though as long as they make the playoffs for the first time in an iceage.

Leafan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:49 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

I think (and hope) they make it in

but if you think they'd beat Boston in a 7 game series, you sir are in for a treat

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

50/50 on making the playoffs.

100% confident they don't make it past 2nd round, may have a 1st round upset, pending who they play.... that is if they make playoffs of course.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote