HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers assign Hartikainen, Chorney and Paajarvi to OKC Barons

Old
01-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Paajarvi should never have been called back up in the first place. Lander needs to go down next as well once RNH is ready.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:10 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
PRV did more for me than Hartikanen.
Yeah, I agree with sending them both down, Harski was worse than PRV last night and Magnus was playing his usual game this season, meaningless. Hartikainen looked weak down, lost board battles, didn't crash and bang at all and for a guy who is supposed to be a physical force that just won't do.
Both him and PRV needs to eat some barbed wire(does this expression exist in english?) down in the OKC.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tyrvainen getting a call up for a couple of games instead, he seems to be pissing opponents off left and right in the AHL, would be interesting to see how he shows in the big league.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:49 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I don't think these assignments really mean anything.
Most likely, as I said earlier lots of teams are doing this today.

Anaheim Reassigned defenseman Nate Guenin and forward Mark Bell to Syracuse (AHL).
Chicago Assigned forwards Ben Smith and Brandon Pirri to Rockford (AHL).
Columbus Assigned forward Dane Byers to Springfield (AHL).
Dallas Activated forward Jamie Benn from injured reserve; assigned forwards Tomas Vincour and Matt Fraser, and defenseman Philip Larsen to Texas (AHL).
Edmonton Assigned defenseman Taylor Chorney and forwards Teemu Hartikainen and Magnus Paajarvi to Oklahoma City (AHL).
Florida Reassigned defenseman Tyson Strachan to San Antonio (AHL).
Minnesota Reassigned forwards Matt Kassian, Jed Ortmeyer and Chad Rau to Houston (AHL).
New Jersey Assigned defenseman Peter Harrold to Albany (AHL).
Ottawa Reassigned defenseman Mark Borowiecki and forward Andre Petersson to Binghamton (AHL).
Philadelphia Loaned forwards Tom Sestito, Ben Holmstrom and Harry Zolnierczyk to Adirondack (AHL).
Phoenix Assigned defensemen Chris Summers and Maxim Goncharov and forward Marc-Antoine Pouliot to Portland (AHL).
Pittsburgh Placed forward Jordan Staal on long-term injured reserve.
San Jose Assigned forward John McCarthy to Worcester (AHL).
St. Louis Assigned forward Chris Porter to Peoria (AHL).
Tampa Bay Reassigned forwards Mike Angelidis, Trevor Smith and Pierre-Cedric Labrie and defenseman Evan Oberg to Norfolk (AHL).
Toronto Signed defenseman John-Michael Liles to a four-year contract extension.
Washington Assigned forward Cody Eakin to Hershey (AHL).
Winnipeg Reassigned forwards Patrice Cormier and Aaron Gagnon to St. John's (AHL).

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:50 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Selecting between PRV and Harti is like picking between table salt and sea salt.
Come on man, sea salt>>>>>>table salt.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Looks like the team will be healthy... yay?

What an exciting season - watch the team get eliminated from the playoffs in Nov-Dec-January and then watch our draft position slide away in Feb-Mar-Apr.

World Championships again for Oilers fans. Woohoo.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Paajarvi has two issues:

1. Soft perimeter play
2. Lack of hockey sense

Usually, if you're a big guy with good physical tools, you can get by with either playing a reckless crash the net style (Dustin Brown), or you can have great hockey sense (Joe Thornton).

If you have neither, then you're in trouble.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Great move. Paajarvi needs AHL time. Petrell was missed since being assigned to OKC. The penalty kill is much better with Petrell there.
Harti isn't the same player from last season. Maybe it's from the lack of rest, but all I know is he doesn't have the drive he had last season.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Selecting between PRV and Harti is like picking between table salt and sea salt.
Quote:
Come on man, sea salt>>>>>>table salt.
Definitely, AINEC.

01-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
Great move. Paajarvi needs AHL time. Petrell was missed since being assigned to OKC. The penalty kill is much better with Petrell there.
Harti isn't the same player from last season. Maybe it's from the lack of rest, but all I know is he doesn't have the drive he had last season.
Leave PRV down for the rest of the season. It can only pay dividends in the long run. Being lousy on a lousy team cant be a great feeling.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banny1089 View Post
Not surprised at all with PRV. Been watching his game lately, it seems as if he is timid to take the puck to the net. He plays purely on the perimeter. I know some people will disagree but when he is in okc, they should try him at centre. Maybe he will learn to stick his nose in.
I wonder why the coaches don't teach him to go to the net and/or correct his shortcomings? If they do and he still does the same thing, then he will not be in the NHL for long if at all.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:31 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Thank the lord!

Now all Edmonton needs to do is send Lander down and I won't be able to accuse them of sabotaging the future of our prospects.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:03 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Paajarvi has two issues:

1. Soft perimeter play
2. Lack of hockey sense

Usually, if you're a big guy with good physical tools, you can get by with either playing a reckless crash the net style (Dustin Brown), or you can have great hockey sense (Joe Thornton).

If you have neither, then you're in trouble.
Neither of those can really explain how a very successful 19 year old season has turned into this.

Old
01-26-2012, 02:06 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Neither of those can really explain how a very successful 19 year old season has turned into this.
IMO a loss of confidence is huge when it comes to a young player. He needs to stay in OKC until he has that cocky swagger again that he had before coming to Edmonton, like when he said "I'm coming to take a spot on the team". Keep him in OKC, get him going, work with him, and hopefully it pays dividends by the deadline or at least for next year.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:57 AM
LaGu

Quote:
I see Lander as a bottom 6 player long-term, so I'm not exactly worried about ruining him by playing him in the NHL. He is getting this type of role and doing a decent job of it.

This isn't a PRV who should be playing a top 6 role, but is getting lessor minutes on the third line.
Even though I think that Lander could become top 6 in a couple of years, I completely agree with your assessment on him. He should be seen as a solid bottom 6 prospect and be allowed to develop that side of his game. Anything outside bottom 6 should be seen as a pleasant surprise and for that reason he should definitely be kept up.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 03:08 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
He's not playing to stick in the NHL. What I like from this call up is he's picking better places to shot and looks more dangerous from those spots. But he's still not attacking the net with regularity. It'll be good to get more minutes in bigger situations down in OKC, and hopefully Omark will spark his offensive when he gets back.

What is absolutely infuriating about his game is that he refuses to follow through and finish his checks. This isn't freeze tag, you don't help your team letting up and touching opposing players. He skates towards them and then bails out. In his exit interview he talked about getting stronger and using his size more and being a more physical player. He gave a glowing review of Landeskog's play and how physical he is. He has all these tools, even more so than Landeskog, but he's not willing to play that game. When the offense isn't coming you have to pursue it a different way and put on the hardhat and grab your lunch pail and go to work.
My post was just a reaction against your choice of words previously. The point is that I believe that he knows what his short-comings are and is doing his best to fix them. For some players I'd go with the formulation you used, i.e. "he has to decide", but for PRV who despite his problems always has shown to be mature in the way he has commented on his development I don't think it is a lack of will that holds him back. If it was easy to play the game of, for example Landeskog, many more players would do it since it is always very valuable. Whatever it is that is lacking (mentality, timing, stability, physique) I have no doubt he's mind is in the right place in trying to fix it.

Old
01-26-2012, 03:26 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO a loss of confidence is huge when it comes to a young player. He needs to stay in OKC until he has that cocky swagger again that he had before coming to Edmonton, like when he said "I'm coming to take a spot on the team". Keep him in OKC, get him going, work with him, and hopefully it pays dividends by the deadline or at least for next year.
At this point I think the whole season should be sent down there. OKC plays 12 games until the deadline. If his first stint of 10 games told us anything, that was not nearly enough.

Old
01-26-2012, 04:15 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenze View Post
too many excuses for this guy. He has 4 assists on the year and some people defend his ice-time. You earn your icetime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Too bad when you give him ice time, he still won't make anything of it. Zero improvement since call up. Dude needs to play the game like he has a pair
I don't think that the point was to say that he hasn't had enough ice time. More likely it was to say that considering that his ice time is normally between 12-16 mins (16 rarely) he's doesn't really need the rest. Plus it can only benefit him to play more.

Anyway, his total ice time, even when it's up towards 16 mins is still 3rd line for us right now seeing the ice time of our 4th line and is highest logged ice time on EV is basically always during nights when Horc's line has a lot of PK duty. He's not 2nd line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenze View Post
meanwhile mattuew perrault scored a hattrick on 12 minutes of ice time.
I don't see your point at all. Are you saying that if a player has 12 minutes he should score 3 goals?

Look, I have nothing against Perreault, but come on. He spent the first 2 seasons after beeing drafted in the juniors (QMJHL), then 1 full season in the AHL (08/09), in 09/10 and 10/11 he spent the majority of his seasons in the AHL. That's just not a relevant comparison.

Old
01-26-2012, 04:40 PM
hockeyaddict101

Never been as high on Lander as many here. When he was drafted I said I didn't see the top 6 upside.

Haven't changed my mind.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 05:12 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Never been as high on Lander as many here. When he was drafted I said I didn't see the top 6 upside.

Haven't changed my mind.
And that's a bad thing?

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:54 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
And that's a bad thing?
This

Old
01-26-2012, 07:35 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad those forwards are going down. They need time. I do think Chorney is simply lost in numbers game, though. I see him as a better option than Potter right now, but Renney loves him some Corey.

On Paajarvi. I've been seeing this for a while now and I am curious if anyone else sees the same thing. I think his current issues have a lot to do with his skating. As a rookie he was using electrifying speed and blowing by guys outside or splitting the D to create his own chances. Now I see him try to drive wide and get ridden off the puck every time because he doesn't have that extra gear to get past the check. I see him trying to cut between D and them closing on him way too fast.

He seemed to have a much faster first few steps last season. I know he said he was going to spend the summer getting stronger so perhaps the extra muscle has slowed him down? Maybe he just needs to get back to his old workout regime or go to skating camp this summer. I think if we see a return of that elite level speed, we'll start to see him around the net more often again.

A perfect example of what we don't see this season is his last goal(2:36) He beats Bouwmeester from a step behind, who is hardly a slouch in the skating department. Those quick little steps he made last season to accelerate don't seem as quick this year.

Or am I imaging things?

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 07:47 PM
40oz

I was thinking the same thing.
Im not sure he's lost a step, it could just be people having the book on him along with him not getting the right bounces.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Arpeggio

I don't know what's wrong with Paajarvi. He just seems to have taken a step back in ever facet this year. They didn't rush him, he scored 15 goals last season.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:46 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
Im not sure he's lost a step, it could just be people having the book on him along with him not getting the right bounces.
Paajarvi doesn't set up plays, it's set up for him. If you watch the highlights, they are all, as Debrusk calls it, "Johnny on the spot"

Rarely does Paajarvi play assertively.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:54 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Paajarvi doesn't set up plays, it's set up for him. If you watch the highlights, they are all, as Debrusk calls it, "Johnny on the spot"

Rarely does Paajarvi play assertively.
A goal highlight package isn't going to show you too many set up plays. If you mean goals scored by plays he creates, I disagree. There are a number of examples of goals he scored which were a result of his own rush.

And as for him playing assertively, I also see a good number of goals he scored from last year by taking the puck to the net himself or going to the dirty areas in front. Or did you mean something else by playing assertively?

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote