HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stan Bowman to be advisor for team USA

Old
01-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Stan Bowman to be advisor for team USA

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...up-stan-bowman

Congrats to Stan ,,, Big Honor

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:37 PM
digdug41982

Yeah, I read that too. Good for Stan, anything that gets him closer to Burke, star players, etc. is good for the Hawks as well.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Cullksinikers

vCash: 500
Congratulations, Stanley.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:43 PM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Yeah, I read that too. Good for Stan, anything that gets him closer to Burke, star players, etc. is good for the Hawks as well.
Grabo might be that second-line center we're in the market for, and hopefully this won't hurt our chances.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

good for StanBow

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:22 PM
hawksfan50

WIth Stan as their "brains" --they surely are DOOMED to skilled but soft types who don't want to work 60 minutes a night..

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Sarava

How long will this guy continue to be gifted jobs because of who his dad is?

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Stan Bow made a great job so far...

...it's not his fault that Tallon can't handle the Cap

Old
01-28-2012, 11:46 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Congrats to Stan. The USA program while developing NHL quality players appears to be a political mess front office wise. Gives them instant credibility and puts Stan closer in touch with USA prospects.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Stan Bow made a great job so far...

...it's not his fault that Tallon can't handle the Cap
I'll gladly take another screwed up salary cap if it comes with a Stanley cup.

Stanley cups > Cap responsiblilty

Stan hasn't done jack yet....

Yes a few moves look promising for the future...but I want results. The team dissapointed last year. Ok fine he was cleaning up Dale's cap mess.

There's no such excuse this year. He made it clear last summer he wanted more grit and for the Hawks to be harder to play against. The exact opposite has occurred. The Hawks are even softer than last year.

By his own words he isn't doing a good job.

Old
01-28-2012, 02:03 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I'll gladly take another screwed up salary cap if it comes with a Stanley cup.

Stanley cups > Cap responsiblilty

Stan hasn't done jack yet....

Yes a few moves look promising for the future...but I want results. The team dissapointed last year. Ok fine he was cleaning up Dale's cap mess.

There's no such excuse this year. He made it clear last summer he wanted more grit and for the Hawks to be harder to play against. The exact opposite has occurred. The Hawks are even softer than last year.

By his own words he isn't doing a good job.
How are the Hawks softer than last year? They took out Campoli, Campbell, Brouwer, Hendry and Johnson and brougt in Mayers, Montador, Carcillo and O'Donnell.. with Shaw and Hayes showing well and both playing fairly physical. The only player that left that was tough to play against was Brouwer.. our defense is tougher this year and our bottom-6, more gritty. We don't get pushed around as much this year, we still get out-hit, but there is more of an "I got your back" feel this year that just wasn't there last year.

As to the bolded, if the Hawks didn't win the Cup, you'd be saying the exact opposite. Chicago, at the time, had the perfect storm. They had alot of talented young players that came up in the system together (either on the Blackhawks when the sucked, or in Norfolk/Rockford, or both) in Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, Versteeg, Buff, Brouwer, Bolland, Hammer, Burish etc.. followed by some good trades for guys like Ladd and Eager and the capspace to sign free-agents like Hossa and Campbell. It was a young group and they gelled very well togther. You can't simply go out, spend money, and get yourself a Stanley Cup winning team. That team in 09-10 didn't win because they spent alot of money, they won because that team was just that, a team.. and one that was very tight-nit, top-to-bottom.

If anything, that's exactly what Bowman is trying to do right now. Acquire picks, draft players and have them come through your system together. Morin, Pirri, J.Hayes, Shaw, Smith, Johns, Olsen, Beach, Saad, K.Hayes, McNeilll, Danault, Clendening, Rensfeldt.. these guys are going to be teammates for a couple years before the make it to Chicago.. bonds will be formed before they ever make it to the NHL.. much like bonds were formed before Bolland/Buff/Burish made the team in 07-08 and Versteeg, Hammer and Brouwer in 08-09..

You can spend as much money as you want, bring in the most talented players with the big price tags, but if your team doesn't gel.. you're not going to win Cups.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Sevanston

Adding to what Hoss just said about not being able to buy a Cup, look at Buffalo and Columbus this year.

Or the Flyers in almost every year after the Lindros trade.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Sarava

It has nothing to do with spending money. Not sure where you got that... I didn't say that.

What I am saying is what Stan said last summer. This team is soft and too easy to play against.

After the cup win, Stan chose to trade away any and all physical elements of the Hawks top 9. Bye bye byfuglien and Ladd. Hello soft Blackhawks!

Signing Mayers and Carcillo was a small step in the right direction. But that doesnt help the to 9 - who play the majority of the minutes.

This is the primary reason I'm not against trading Kaner. Not because he is slumping - he will get past that. But because he has a high salary, is our softest player and could bring back that elusive skilled power forward that is otherwise out of the Hawks reach in a trade. Those guys have major value, but so does Kane - so they could pull it off.

Old
01-28-2012, 05:00 PM
ManCrush on Tazer

Quote:
It has nothing to do with spending money. Not sure where you got that... I didn't say that.

What I am saying is what Stan said last summer. This team is soft and too easy to play against.

After the cup win, Stan chose to trade away any and all physical elements of the Hawks top 9. Bye bye byfuglien and Ladd. Hello soft Blackhawks!

Signing Mayers and Carcillo was a small step in the right direction. But that doesnt help the to 9 - who play the majority of the minutes.

This is the primary reason I'm not against trading Kaner. Not because he is slumping - he will get past that. But because he has a high salary, is our softest player and could bring back that elusive skilled power forward that is otherwise out of the Hawks reach in a trade. Those guys have major value, but so does Kane - so they could pull it off.
You started your previous post by saying "Stanley cup>Cap responsibility". That's EXACTLY where he got the "spending money" part from because that's EXACTLY what your saying...

ManCrush on Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCrush on Tazer View Post
You started your previous post by saying "Stanley cup>Cap responsibility". That's EXACTLY where he got the "spending money" part from because that's EXACTLY what your saying...
Cap responsibility is about not handing out stupid contracts that screw your team over down the line. Dale did that - but the Cup win was worth it.

I see a lot of people complaining on this forum about Dale ruining the cap. All I can think is whether these people are truly Blackhawk fans or not? Maybe the HF mentality of good contracts being the holy grail of hockey has taken over them and clouded their better judgement?

This is not about spending money. The Hawks spend money either way. They are spending near the cap, plus eating the contracts of Olesz and Huet outside of the NHL to a tune of 8+ million dollars this season alone.

It's about spending that money in a smart manner to ice the best possible team.

Personally I think this team is too soft to win the cup as it's currently constructed - and would like Stan to fix the flaws that he himself identified last summer. Obviously people like HossTheBoss and Sevanston disagree with me. And in the end I hope they're right - because if they are, then maybe we'll have another cup to celebrate in 5 months.

Old
01-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:

Stan didn't choose to trade them away ,, He had to

It was either Buff or Sharp,,, He made right choice

Blame Dale for losing Byfuglien and Ladd not Bowman

And trading Kane is dumb ,, 23 yr old playmaker who scored the biggest goal in franchise history and is almost a PPG player in his career

Old
01-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Cap responsibility is about not handing out stupid contracts that screw your team over down the line. Dale did that - but the Cup win was worth it.

I see a lot of people complaining on this forum about Dale ruining the cap. All I can think is whether these people are truly Blackhawk fans or not? Maybe the HF mentality of good contracts being the holy grail of hockey has taken over them and clouded their better judgement?

This is not about spending money. The Hawks spend money either way. They are spending near the cap, plus eating the contracts of Olesz and Huet outside of the NHL to a tune of 8+ million dollars this season alone.

It's about spending that money in a smart manner to ice the best possible team.

Personally I think this team is too soft to win the cup as it's currently constructed - and would like Stan to fix the flaws that he himself identified last summer. Obviously people like HossTheBoss and Sevanston disagree with me. And in the end I hope they're right - because if they are, then maybe we'll have another cup to celebrate in 5 months.
And if Hawks would have lost to FLyers? Going all in worked once ,, 99% of time it fails

And Bowman was handcuffed by cap last year and this year is handcuffed by actual costs (Rocky is eating over 9M in dead salary)

Old
01-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Stan didn't choose to trade them away ,, He had to

It was either Buff or Sharp,,, He made right choice

Blame Dale for losing Byfuglien and Ladd not Bowman

And trading Kane is dumb ,, 23 yr old playmaker who scored the biggest goal in franchise history and is almost a PPG player in his career
You act like anyone has suggested the Hawks trade Kane for scraps. Trading Kane would bring a 1st line star player right back or you don't do it.

Why would you bother replying if you know what you are insinuating is not what I wrote or intended?

Old
01-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
You act like anyone has suggested the Hawks trade Kane for scraps. Trading Kane would bring a 1st line star player right back or you don't do it.

Why would you bother replying if you know what you are insinuating is not what I wrote or intended?
And you're acting like trading one 1st line star player for another would actually fix cap problems.

Kane and Toews actually have great value contracts for 1st line players, and anyone that could actually fill their spot would likely cost more, thus fixing nothing.

Bowman had to aim for getting great prospects and value players, and seeing how everyone has giant crushes on Morin and Stalberg, clearly he succeeded.

Oh, and he kept his 1st line star players in the process.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 05:33 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:

Right, instead, Bowman should have traded away Kane and Sharp and kept Versteeg and Buff and Ladd and Eager..

Bowman had no choice, he had to move players. At the time, we all thought the right players were moved and looking back now, the only player I really would have wanted to keep was Ladd.. but even then, who gets shipped out instead? Hjalmarsson? Yeah.. I'd probably make that switch.. but that's hindsight and we all thought of Ladd as the perfect third liner back then, and not much more.. whereas Hjalmarsson was already a good top-4 Dman who was being compared to Lidstrom and Kronwall in Detroit.

Trading away your best offensive player, who's 23, is not an solution. We have a skilled power-forward who could be ready as soon as next year, he's in your avatar. Bowman is more patient then fans and he's also far more knowledgable in what he has with prospects. Players as talented as Kane don't come along very often.. we drafted two, big, skilled power-forwards with top-6 upside in the draft last year. Whether they pan out or not, who knows? I certainly believe they will, untill they give me a reason to question them.

You have to give the prospects a chance to show what they have before you even think about making a trade involving Patrick Kane. Right now, there's absolutely no reason to even think about making such a trade.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

just take a look at what Bowman has done so far

- extend TKK longterm
- extend Sharp and Seabs longterm
- bring in Hossa over Havlat (we all know that Tallon wanted Havlat to stay)
- trade Tallons fault with 3 million for Leddy
- draft guys that look like they make the NHLs as depth guys over boom or bust guys
- made the best out of Tallons Cap ****

and most important

what if the Hawks didn't win the Cup the year they did? they still would have lost Sopel, Buff, Versteeg and 1 of Niemi/Ladd

Bowman did all he could do. Bowman is building a team that will have longterm success and will be a contender for years to come

Old
01-29-2012, 11:29 AM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Grit can always be added. I'm sure he's still looking for it, we're just not going to get it ASAP. Bowman is a man of patience and doesn't let a word out of what he's thinking. You just need to learn to trust what he's doing.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

and Bowman did what he said he wanted to do.

2011 grit < 2012 grit
tougher to play against 2011 < tougher to play against 2012

and it wasn't Bowman that tore his MCL (or whatever Carcillo has - sorry that I don't know everything in english)

Old
01-30-2012, 03:21 PM
salty justice

Sorry to interrupt the standard Tallon vs Bowman debate, but does anyone think this will hurt the chances of seeing Byfuglien in a Team USA sweater?

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Right, instead, Bowman should have traded away Kane and Sharp and kept Versteeg and Buff and Ladd and Eager..

Bowman had no choice, he had to move players. At the time, we all thought the right players were moved and looking back now, the only player I really would have wanted to keep was Ladd.. but even then, who gets shipped out instead? Hjalmarsson? Yeah.. I'd probably make that switch.. but that's hindsight and we all thought of Ladd as the perfect third liner back then, and not much more.. whereas Hjalmarsson was already a good top-4 Dman who was being compared to Lidstrom and Kronwall in Detroit.

Trading away your best offensive player, who's 23, is not an solution. We have a skilled power-forward who could be ready as soon as next year, he's in your avatar. Bowman is more patient then fans and he's also far more knowledgable in what he has with prospects. Players as talented as Kane don't come along very often.. we drafted two, big, skilled power-forwards with top-6 upside in the draft last year. Whether they pan out or not, who knows? I certainly believe they will, untill they give me a reason to question them.

You have to give the prospects a chance to show what they have before you even think about making a trade involving Patrick Kane. Right now, there's absolutely no reason to even think about making such a trade.
Bravo.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote