HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unofficial Trade Rumor/Proposal Thread Part XIV (Evaluation: We need NHL players)

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Ghostbuster

vCash: 500
Hemsky+Peckham/Sutton
for
Ellis

Gagner+Horcoff
for
Subban+Gomez

Draft Grigorenko.

Smyth-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Grigorenko-Hartikainen
Paajarvi-Lander-Eager
Gomez-Belanger-Hordichuk

Smid-Subban
Ellis-Gilbert
Sutton/Whitney-Barker

Old
01-26-2012, 06:31 PM
dnicks17

The lowball Ellis offers are getting pretty funny.

Hemsky for Ellis would be like us trading Eberle for Kaberle last season.

Old
01-26-2012, 06:36 PM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
The lowball Ellis offers are getting pretty funny.

Hemsky for Ellis would be like us trading Eberle for Kaberle last season.
Ellis does NOT have that much upside. there are some serious limitations to his game.

Old
01-26-2012, 06:44 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
Ellis does NOT have that much upside. there are some serious limitations to his game.
Well, sure, if you go by his pre-draft scouting report and ignore his current play, he has "serious" limitations.

Old
01-26-2012, 06:59 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Oiler View Post
PK has more upside than anyone in the draft including Murray. Montreal would want our first AND a prospect or someone like Gagner. And we do it. The Edmonton Oilers only get players of this calibre when they have "an issue or two" to work out.
No. Dumba has equal upside without the attitude issues.

Old
01-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Rafters

If Carter is truly available, would anyone want Tambo to go after him...on paper he has been a constant 30-40 goal scoring 27 yr old 6'4 RH center..that is having an injury plagued/bad yr on a bad team..if Hemsky was staying he could be the perfect top 6 center to play on Hemmers line to help take some pressure off the kids and allow horcoff and Belanger slide into there proper 3rd and 4th line roles...OR is he too much of a risk...
10 yrs left at 5.2
Shoulder separation
Rumored trade demand
Rumored party life in Philly
Not happy with club trade

If some combination of gagner, prv, 2013 1st, prospects is what it took then would anyone take the risk or is he becoming Danny Heatley v2.0 with the trade demands , injuries, and production decline

Gagner + prv + Marincin for carter would be close to the carter for voracek,1st,
Or
Gagner/prv + 2013 1st and prospect

Old
01-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Tarpit*

These Ellis and Subban proposals are starting to get silly. The Oilers don't have the players to composate for Ellis small stature and face it he's still developing and the Oilers need a veteran then another rookie and the last thing the Oilers need is another SMURF. As to Subban, why, the Habs will never trade him and would you want him in your locker room. Montreal is in enough problems with hiring a English speaking coach and if they traded Subban away they would have a riot, and I believe their not that stupid.

Last edited by Tarpit*: 01-26-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old
01-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Tarpit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
No. Dumba has equal upside without the attitude issues.
The question with Dumba, can he play his style of game in the NHL and stay healthy. For a small man, he plays a big mans game and he might not be able to do that in the NHL.

Old
01-26-2012, 08:02 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeep View Post
These Ellis and Subban proposals are starting to get silly. The Oilers don't have the players to composate for Ellis small stature and face it he's still developing and the Oilers need a veteran then another rookie and the last thing the Oilers need is another SMURF. As to Subban, why, the Habs will never trade him and would you want him in your locker room. Montreal is in enough problems with hiring a English speaking coach and if they traded Subban away they would have a riot, and I believe their not that stupid.
Team
Tom Gilbert 6' 2"
Theo Peckham 6' 2"
Jeff Petry 6' 3"
Corey Potter 6' 3"
Ladislav Smid 6' 3"
Andy Sutton 6' 6"
Ryan Whitney 6' 3"

In the system
Kyle Bigos 6' 5"
Jeremie Blain 6' 3"
Taylor Chorney 6' 1"
Brandon Davidson 6' 1"
Martin Gernat 6' 5"
Oscar Klefbom 6' 3"
Martin Marincin 6' 5"
David Musil 6' 3"
Alex Plante 6' 4"
Dillon Simpson 6' 1"
Colten Teubert 6' 4"

I think we can handle one d-man under 6 feet, if he comes with elite offensive skills which we lack.

Old
01-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I think we can handle one d-man under 6 feet, if he comes with elite offensive skills which we lack.
Not for our 1st & Hemsky

Besides, he doesn't address our biggest issue: "Presence" on the blue line. Something PK or Dumba would be much better equipped for going forward.

Old
01-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Tarpit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Team
Tom Gilbert 6' 2"
Theo Peckham 6' 2"
Jeff Petry 6' 3"
Corey Potter 6' 3"
Ladislav Smid 6' 3"
Andy Sutton 6' 6"
Ryan Whitney 6' 3"

In the system
Kyle Bigos 6' 5"
Jeremie Blain 6' 3"
Taylor Chorney 6' 1"
Brandon Davidson 6' 1"
Martin Gernat 6' 5"
Oscar Klefbom 6' 3"
Martin Marincin 6' 5"
David Musil 6' 3"
Alex Plante 6' 4"
Dillon Simpson 6' 1"
Colten Teubert 6' 4"

It's not the defense that is the problem, it's our top 6 forwards. Edmonton relies on their D for their grit and with Ellis in the line up they would get knocked around even more. You of all people should know this. Also Ellis hasn't done anything to warrant this high value, other then in the juniors, if he had I might consider it.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:05 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang10 View Post
Not for our 1st & Hemsky

Besides, he doesn't address our biggest issue: "Presence" on the blue line. Something PK or Dumba would be much better equipped for going forward.
So our complete lack of any kind of passing from our D is a smaller issue than "presence"? Agree to disagree.

And your proposal is kinda obvious. I wouldn't trade Hall, Nuge or Ebs for him either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeep View Post
It's not the defense that is the problem, it's our top 6 forwards. Edmonton relies on their D for their grit and with Ellis in the line up they would get knocked around even more. You of all people should know this. Also Ellis hasn't done anything to warrant this high value, other then in the juniors, if he had I might consider it.
How does having an extra big defense help our smaller forwards win puck battles against the boards in the offensive zone? That is our primary weakness in terms of our top six forward size. I don't see how having one small D affects that in any way. Are you seeing us win more offensive puck battles now than when Lubo was here? I sure haven't noticed an improvement.

And I am not suggesting we pay the moon for him. If his asking price is too high we move on to another target. But if we can do Hemsky for Ellis + a pick I'd do that. Ellis is a much better puck mover than anyone we have and we are missing that skill on the back end quite badly, imo.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Random speculation. Khabibulin smoke is getting a little thicker with talk that there's been interest. Who would need a goaltender?

Nikolai Khabibulin
Theo Peckham/Cam Barker

Dwayne Roloson
Steve Downie

Khabibulin has another year on his contract and he's been solid for most of his games this season and he's the last net minder on record to win a cup in Tampa.
Roloson is a UFA at the end of the year, and maybe we even peddle him off at the deadline. Tampa has 4 defensemen under contract next season (Brewer, Hedman, Ohlund, MAB) and while they could use some more puck movers, Peckham we can disguise as a #5 for them (EDIT: Oh! We have Cam Barker! That might fit even better). The real prize for us here is Downie. He's an RFA at the end of the season and perhaps Tampa would rather spend money on forward depth and chasing down another Top-4 defenseman.

Last edited by Soli: 01-26-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old
01-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Eytinge

I thought you weren't high on Ellis s7ark?

Old
01-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Ryan16

The only reason we lack passing in the back
end is because we have missed our best puck moving dmen in Whitney, Barker, and Gilbert with them healthy and in the line up we have a good puck mover on each line

Old
01-26-2012, 10:26 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Random speculation. Khabibulin smoke is getting a little thicker with talk that there's been interest. Who would need a goaltender?

Nikolai Khabibulin
Theo Peckham

Dwayne Roloson
Steve Downie

Khabibulin has another year on his contract and he's been solid for most of his games this season and he's the last net minder on record to win a cup in Tampa.
Roloson is a UFA at the end of the year, and maybe we even peddle him off at the deadline. Tampa has 4 defensemen under contract next season (Brewer, Hedman, Ohlund, MAB) and while they could use some more puck movers, Peckham we can disguise as a #5 for them. The real prize for us here is Downie. He's an RFA at the end of the season and perhaps Tampa would rather spend money on forward depth and chasing down another Top-4 defenseman.
Roli's contract ends the same time as Khabi I believe. I think he signed a 2 year deal over the summer.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:27 PM
CCHIPSS

How about Ballard+2nd for Hemsky? You guys get a 2nd round pick, and a fast skating puck moving dman that isn't being utilized. If you guys want Hemsky back you can sign Hemsky as an UFA in the off season.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Andrew B

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Roli's contract ends the same time as Khabi I believe. I think he signed a 2 year deal over the summer.
Negatory, he is a UFA at the end of the year.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Thats what I thought as well, but cap geek says otherwise.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=27

Old
01-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan16 View Post
The only reason we lack passing in the back
end is because we have missed our best puck moving dmen in Whitney, Barker, and Gilbert with them healthy and in the line up we have a good puck mover on each line
No no no. People are looking at Barker's draft pedigree and his big-point season with Chicago and seeing "puck mover". He's not. Any pressure and he gives it away as badly and regularly as Peckham. He's an absolute turnover machine. And who knows if or when Whitney will be back close to full health, if ever.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
New thread up guys.