HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Webs/Suts Rose Ceremony - All Ryan Suter/Shea Weber FA talk

View Poll Results: Do you think that we should trade Ryan Suter at the deadline?
Yes, we need to get something for him rather than nothing. 18 30.51%
No, he's more valuable than any return that we would get for him. 41 69.49%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-27-2012, 03:38 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 500
it doesn't have a thing to do with being a small market team; it's a cowardice being shown by Suter, and it's shared by Weber. DET will just reload, CHI will have that team together during Suter/Weber entire career because their stars signed below-market contracts to keep the core together - and they can't handle being the guys that will have to LEAD the team through it.

Great players, I've enjoyed watching them develop, but really Ryan - signing a contract will be a distraction? To whom? Only distraction is wondering whether you got as much money as Weber will get?

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Preds311

When is it ok for a UFA to wait till the season is over to sign? Ever? I think going nuts over something you can't control is pretty insane. Put yourself in a UFA's shoes....wouldn't you want to test the market just to see what is out there? Doesn't mean you are going anywhere at all.

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
tweets from pierre lebrun at all star game.
"Ryan Suter just said during his media availability that he doesn't think he'll sign before trade deadline... Feel it would be distraction..
But I would also say Suter sounded like a guy who loves it in Nashville and will give the Preds very much a fair chance before July 1"

been there, done that.......weber all over again.......don't believe a word Suter is saying, he's just playing to the media.

frankly, i think playing this hand, this way, is hamstringing poile......who for all his faults has seemingly always acted with integrity...

this "prove it to us" blackmail........pox on both your houses.....play it out in private and don't lie to the fans.
glad i never bought a suter jersey. i would've gone cleveland'd and burned it.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds311 View Post
When is it ok for a UFA to wait till the season is over to sign? Ever? I think going nuts over something you can't control is pretty insane. Put yourself in a UFA's shoes....wouldn't you want to test the market just to see what is out there? Doesn't mean you are going anywhere at all.
Exactly. Simply another negotiating tactic.

I don't buy this "only if the teams proves itself" kind of philosophy from Suter. I think it's all about the money and perhaps the environment.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
Time to put Suter on the block ... Jesus Christ, I really hate the fact that we are such a small market team

https://twitter.com/#!/Real_ESPNLeBr...07663788146689
Yeah that doesn't sound good at all. Suter is being a dick at this point.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun

Ryan Suter just said during his media availability that he doesn't think he'll sign before trade deadline... Feel it would be distraction..
I don't get it....a distraction for who?

If anything it's a distraction to NOT have a contract signed.

Old
01-27-2012, 03:48 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
The distraction stuff is nonsense. What is a publicly played out contract "negotiation" and rampant trade rumors?

He showed his hand in a later quote, when asked if he's waiting to see what Nashville does at the deadline: "Yeah, part of me..."
Yup......trade him for someone big....now.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Please note: this does NOT mean he is on the trade block now. Nothing has changed in that regard.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:50 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Damn it. He's a goner. Distraction?! By signing your contract?! How about by not signing and stringing this along further.

Crap.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Preds311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
I don't get it....a distraction for who?

If anything it's a distraction to NOT have a contract signed.
Maybe a distraction to himself and just wanting to play hockey. Contracts involve lawyers, agents, etc tugging at you.

Old
01-27-2012, 03:56 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Maybe a distraction to himself and just wanting to play hockey. Contracts involve lawyers, agents, etc tugging at you.
it requires a commitment to a team... he's just playing us all...

other stars have made commitments at lower prices to stay with teams (like the sisters)

weber and sutes are apparently not made of that cloth...they want the money and the fame...but they are choosing to play it out this way and lie to the fans.

lots of players sign contracts during the year....in fact most do.

whoever said suter was being a dick....

Old
01-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Preds311

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
it requires a commitment to a team... he's just playing us all...

other stars have made commitments at lower prices to stay with teams (like the sisters)

weber and sutes are apparently not made of that cloth...they want the money and the fame...but they are choosing to play it out this way and lie to the fans.

lots of players sign contracts during the year....in fact most due.

whoever said suter was being a dick....
What does Suter owe to the team other than the contract he is currently under? Nothing at all.

What you need to comprehend is the actions of calling them cowards, not men enough is just simply foolish. Take the gold glasses off and see it for what it is.

Old
01-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

now I am in a freakin rotten mood

Old
01-27-2012, 04:04 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
it doesn't have a thing to do with being a small market team; it's a cowardice being shown by Suter, and it's shared by Weber. DET will just reload, CHI will have that team together during Suter/Weber entire career because their stars signed below-market contracts to keep the core together - and they can't handle being the guys that will have to LEAD the team through it.

Great players, I've enjoyed watching them develop, but really Ryan - signing a contract will be a distraction? To whom? Only distraction is wondering whether you got as much money as Weber will get?
I agree totally... they don't appear to be willing to lead the team.

i think poile has to think about re tooling the team without both of them and what it is going to look like in the future.
i know he has said he won't trade suter away...
but he needs to have the plan in place. i think it hamstrung us too much last summer with the weber blindside to have any effectiveness in trading around the deadline.
frankly, i think it hinders bringing in any forwards before the deadline, cause we can't afford to trade any of the young d away.

Old
01-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Every team in the league wants Ryan Suter. Every team.

The writing for this has been on the wall for awhile. I don't know if Suter is serious about showing him something or not, but Poile does. Thus far, he has done nothing. Either Poile wants Suter, doesn't want Suter, or feels he is bluffing. As it stands, his actions appear to be showing us it is one of the latter two choices.

I've said it several times already. I like David Poile. He has done a fabulous job with amassing assets. This, however, is his end game. No more excuses. What happens from here on out is on him. He must own it.

01-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282981

IF it is anything less than that ... Poile should be fired

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:14 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

So...sticking to the theme, has the bloom come off the rose for Suter?

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:16 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282981

IF it is anything less than that ... Poile should be fired
I'm sorry, it looks like that was in June... did Pronger have a contract or was he a ufa in a week? I just can't tell.

Old
01-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Man, can't we just keep our franchise players, you can just continue calling us the farm team of the NHL if we can't get these deals done.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:20 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Man, can't we just keep our franchise players, you can just continue calling us the farm team of the NHL if we can't get these deals done.
Pekka rinne. Done.

i know, i'm pretty pissed off at all 3 parties....weber, suter and poile.

Old
01-27-2012, 04:20 PM
luckofirish8

If Suter doesn't resign (he very well still could), Weber should instantly go on the trading block to maximize his value. IMO, the Preds will end up with both of them resigning or neither of them. I could be wrong, but I can't see Weber resigning without Suter.

With Suter and Weber both playing the same game, Poile is in a very tough spot. I could see this turning pretty ugly before it's all said and done. That would be a real shame if it was to happen. I think the media will end up being a tactic both parties use in the not to distance future. Poile will want the fans to see that he did everything in his power to hold onto Suter and, ultimately, Weber. Contract details and various trade targets will likely leak in an attempt for Poile to save face with us fans, while casting Suter/Weber as the villain...however right or wrong that may be.

If they won't resign or they just want to move on to one of the "bigger" hockey markets, fine. It will suck not having them around, but Poile (and the Preds for that matter) can't afford to lose Suter and/or Weber without getting something significant in return...Period.

luckofirish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Every team in the league wants Ryan Suter. Every team.

The writing for this has been on the wall for awhile. I don't know if Suter is serious about showing him something or not, but Poile does. Thus far, he has done nothing. Either Poile wants Suter, doesn't want Suter, or feels he is bluffing. As it stands, his actions appear to be showing us it is one of the latter two choices.

I've said it several times already. I like David Poile. He has done a fabulous job with amassing assets. This, however, is his end game. No more excuses. What happens from here on out is on him. He must own it.
Agree 1000% if Poile doesn't get Weber and Suter, he should be fired on the spot. He has had plenty of time to get things locked up. These guys were supposed to be corner stones of our franchise and it looks more likely by the day that we will lose them. And before anyone says "can't put a gun and make them sign" its poile's duty and job to make guys want to sign and stay here. It is his job to articulate the direction of the team. Weber and Suter aren't biting and that falls on Poile's lap. I am afraid Poile's resistance to making splashes is going to convince these two that this isn't place for them. They have outgrown the "kiddy pool"

Old
01-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Preds311

It is a GM's job to put a competitive team together. Not to force someone to stay when they want to look elsewhere. Players have every right to test a market, look elsewhere. GM's aren't slaveowners. I still think Suter and Weber sign longterm and not worried about it one bit. I think a trade on the horizon will cement that.

Old
01-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Poile needs to play hardball with Suter here or atleast convince him that this is where he can win a cup.

I'm optimistic that Weber will stay with Suter gone though. I don't think we should start panicking to that extent.

Old
01-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
It is a GM's job to put a competitive team together. Not to force someone to stay when they want to look elsewhere. Players have every right to test a market, look elsewhere. GM's aren't slaveowners. I still think Suter and Weber sign longterm and not worried about it one bit. I think a trade on the horizon will cement that.
Its his job to convince guys to stay.