HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Webs/Suts Rose Ceremony - All Ryan Suter/Shea Weber FA talk

View Poll Results: Do you think that we should trade Ryan Suter at the deadline?
Yes, we need to get something for him rather than nothing. 18 30.51%
No, he's more valuable than any return that we would get for him. 41 69.49%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-27-2012, 04:31 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 500
Suter, GTFO. Seriously, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. He could have been a member of one of the best pairings of all time. One that they would talk about for years.

Instead, go get your money. Go somewhere else where you won't have to work as hard, won't be counted on as much, and can blend in. Go play for a more talented team where you can depend on the offense to outscore the opponent. Now go away. Seriously, GTFO.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Preds311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Its his job to convince guys to stay.

No, it isn't. Many factors non hockey related can force a guy to want to go elsewhere that is never in a GM's control or ever would be. If a GM puts forth a competitive and reasonable package, thats all you can ask for.

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:32 PM
deanwormer

I'm fine with the both of them going to market to get their best deal; I'm not fine with the BS about wanting to be here with a commitment from the team, or signing is a distraction, or whatever. Sure - lawyers and such are a mess, but the way to do that is what Weber did - just said not doing it 'til after the season.

Team hitched their wagon not only to their ability, but leadership. Understated part of Poile's deal for Fish last year - an actual grown-up man to help lead the team.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:36 PM
luckofirish8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Poile needs to play hardball with Suter here or atleast convince him that this is where he can win a cup.

I'm optimistic that Weber will stay with Suter gone though. I don't think we should start panicking to that extent.
I don't think it's panicking to think that at all. Especially with the way Weber played the Tennessee Two-step with contract negations following last year.

I will say that I do believe both Weber and Suter still have a legitimate shot at resigning in Nashville. For me, it's the old saying...Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Weber fooled Poile once last year, and they (Weber/Suter) appear to be trying the same trick as we speak.

luckofirish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Poile needs to play hardball with Suter here or atleast convince him that this is where he can win a cup.

I'm optimistic that Weber will stay with Suter gone though. I don't think we should start panicking to that extent.
I agree. I've always felt more optimistic about re-signing Weber, than Suter all along. It all started back in 2008 when Suter signed right until he was eligible for UFA. He's been looking forward to UFA status for years now IMO.

Replacing a skill set like Suter's, while not easy, will not be as hard as replacing someone like Weber's. If we're able to sign someone like Gleason this off-season, and get a forward, I don't see any reason why Weber wouldn't re-sign. We will be just as good of a team, if not better.

Problem with this plan is that we have to rely on Poile's UFA signing skills

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:41 PM
luckofirish8

Quote:
Its his job to convince guys to stay.
Just out of curiosity, should the Cardinals fire John Mozeliak then? Despite his efforts to resign Pujols, he couldn't get it done.

I think it's the GM's job to do whatever it takes (within certain limits) to field a winning team. Sometimes despite your efforts...things just don't work out.

Old
01-27-2012, 04:44 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckofirish8 View Post
Just out of curiosity, should the Cardinals fire John Mozeliak then? Despite his efforts to resign Pujols, he couldn't get it done.

I think it's the GM's job to do whatever it takes (within certain limits) to field a winning team. Sometimes despite your efforts...things just don't work out.
Cards won 2 World Series. How many Cups has Poile?

Old
01-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Now it all depends on what is going through Weber's head. If Weber has told Poile he wont sign, I think we need to trade them now and get some good pieces back. Trade Weber for, say JVR + Coburn + pick, then Suter+Beck/Hali/pick for Pavelski or something. The trade specifics aren't important, but you get the general idea. Getting rid of both will ave us tons of money to sign vet D men. Maybe Rads even comes back next year's roster:

Wilson-Pavelski-Smith
JVR-Legwand-Radulov
SK-Fisher-Erat
Tootoo-Spailing-Hornqvist
Yip/Smithson/Geoffrion/Borque

Coburn-Josi
Ellis-(Vet)
Klein-Blum

Rinne
Lindback

At that point, Poile can trade Lindback, along with any of the extra forwards we have, for some more D depth. We are LOADED with NHL forwards if we keep that roster.

Once again, this is if AND ONLY IF Weber once out. If not, hold onto him.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Preds311

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Are you really comparing a legendary baseball franchise with one that hasn't been but for about 15 years?

Old
01-27-2012, 04:52 PM
luckofirish8

Quote:
He won both with Pujols under contract and the lead dog, which why he tried so hard to resign him. At a certain point, if the player wants to go the GM can only offer what he can offer.

Poile let it get to this point, so he has to take some blame, but if he's offered both players more than market value what more can he do.

Old
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
I'll still be happy as long as we can sign atleast one of Weber/Suter and get a good haul if we trade the other. Rinne and one of Weber/Suter is the path I thought we'd go down after the whole arbitration thing. It's not the end of the world, if we can survive the near moving of our team, then we can survive our best players leaving.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
I can answer that with a Homer Simpson joke ... Donut

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:

Preds and Cardinals are nowhere comparable. Baseball and hockey aren't really relatable due to drastically different CBA's, contracts, and what not.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

If Suter truly doesn't want to be here, send him to Columbus.

I guess we'll just have to win it all to convince him to stay. Anyone up for a cup run? I'm game.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:59 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds311 View Post
Are you really comparing a legendary baseball franchise with one that hasn't been but for about 15 years?
I didn't bring up the Cards, irish did. You asked if their GM should be fired for not getting the deal done to lock up Pujols. I say no, because their GM has won 2 World Series in the last 6 years. So he gets the benefit of the doubt when his primadonna superstar wants $$$. Poile doesn't get that luxury because he just won his first playoff series, and has proven to fumble when negotiating with his best players and agents.

Quote:
Poile let it get to this point, so he has to take some blame, but if he's offered both players more than market value what more can he do.
Who knows if he's offered more than market value or not. What is the market? Bottom line if Poile cannot sign Suter, get rid of him. We need players who want to win and want to win here.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 01-27-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: irish broght up cards. my bad
Old
01-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Preds311

No, I didn't bring up the cards. Check again.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 01-27-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old
01-27-2012, 05:01 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
If Suter truly doesn't want to be here, send him to Columbus.

I guess we'll just have to win it all to convince him to stay. Anyone up for a cup run? I'm game.
Suter for Nash.

Old
01-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

All Suter quotes

Entire article here: http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers...838&feedID=704

Quote:
But with regards to Suter and Weber, there is a feeling that both of them will not commit to re-signing until they see what the Predators do at the trade deadline to fortify their chances this season – not next.

Suter didn’t deny that factors into his decision.

“Yeah, part of me [feels that way],” Suter said. “We’ve kind of talked and I’m just going to go out there and play as hard as I can and help our team win.”

He said he speaks monthly with Poile about the organization’s long-term “philosophy” and improving the club to win a Stanley Cup right now.

“We have a lot of good players in our room,” Suter said. “Not saying you got to go out and get a big name guy – just the right piece.

“You don’t bring someone in who is not going to help you win. So I think the biggest thing is the right piece and hopefully, we’re positioned to go get that right piece.”

Suter credited management for signing goalie Pekka Rinne as an indication things were moving forward.

“Signing Pekka, that is a huge statement,” he said.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 05:02 PM
predfan24

I'm really sick of Suter's attitude throughout this whole thing. You can already see him lining up the excuses to leave. Distractions, Waiting too see Poile improve the team. It's all bull crap. He's really starting to show his hand. Hope I'm reading the situation wrong but I doubt it.

I don't blame Poile. Poile and the ownership have done all the right things. They announced that they were willing to sign all the big 3 to fair contracts. They signed Rinne and we know they have an offer on the table to Sutes. He just isn't going to sign it. There is nothing Poile can do about that. I really doubt at this point even bringing in a Ryan would change his mind. It's all just excuses.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I'm really sick of Suter's attitude throughout this whole thing. You can already see him lining up the excuses to leave. Distractions, Waiting too see Poile improve the team. It's all bull crap. He's really starting to show his hand. Hope I'm reading the situation wrong but I doubt it.

I don't blame Poile. Poile and the ownership have done all the right things. They announced that they were willing to sign all the big 3 to fair contracts. They signed Rinne and we know they have an offer on the table to Sutes. He just isn't going to sign it. There is nothing Poile can do about that. I really doubt at this point even bringing in a Ryan would change his mind. It's all just excuses.

This is about how I feel. Obviously I could be wrong and I have been called a pessimist from time to time, but I just think he really wants out. I'm fine with that, if he would prefer to play somewhere else, that's certainly his decision. I just don't like the song and dance routine. "I love Nashville", "I just love playing in Nashville, everything will take care of itself". If that were the case, I'd like to think he'd be signed by now.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post

I guess you want to just barely scratch the playoffs every year then & get wiped clean each spring ... They want to win it all, in all honesty Poile really truly has yet to bring in a consistent game changer wrt forward corps, which honestly that is what you need in the playoffs & what this team still severely lacks

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 05:13 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Suter should just shut his damn mouth and play hockey.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Suter should just shut his damn mouth and play hockey.
I definitely agree with this. If he were so worried about distractions, seems like he would have just kept his mouth shut...

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 05:20 PM
luckofirish8

Quote:
Preds and Cardinals are nowhere comparable. Baseball and hockey aren't really relatable due to drastically different CBA's, contracts, and what not.
you are probably right on them not being comparable, but the point being is both parties have to except some responsibility. It isn't entirely Poile fault, nor is it Suter's fault.

What if, like the Cards, the Preds add a piece or two and go on to win the Cup this year (we're hoping, right?), but Suter/Weber still don't resign. Is all forgotten now that the Preds/Poile have a Cup?

Old
01-27-2012, 05:30 PM
predseth

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/3/2/133...trade-deadline
Sound familiar?

predseth is offline   Reply With Quote