HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Jason York loves Nashville

Old
01-26-2012, 09:56 PM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
OT - Jason York loves Nashville

Flyer fan living in Ottawa Canada. I thought you would be interested in this.

One of the main radio guys in Ottawa is former Nashville Predator Jason York. York played in many cities (Detroit, Boston, Nashville, Ottawa, Anaheim). Regularly on his show he refers to Nashville as the best place to play in the league. He was saying today how any "star player" would be crazy to sign in New York for 7 million over 5 million in Nashville. With taxes, cost of living, country versus city living, the drive to the rink, etc, etc - he said hands down Nashville is the place to play.

Honestly, I hope Nashville re-signs Weber and Suter and pushes closer to the cap. You have a great team and if ownership shows a willingness to spend, I think Nashville will start to attract big free agents rather than lose them. Anyway, if it was said about my team.....I would want to know.

Good luck. Peace

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Thanks for the heads up. These type of comments can be invaluable to a team like Nashville. The more positive exposure we get, the better. I've never heard a player say he disliked playing here. Many even end up retiring here.

We're so close to blending in with the top teams of the league. Just need that final push. Thanks for posting this.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

He is absolutely correct.

We have another positive, too. We've had "stars" around for so long, there is a protective culture for the players' privacy and safekeeping of their children already in place. Sometimes people will say that Nashvillians don't know who the players are. Not true. We see them, it's kinda cool, but quite frankly we grow up with stars among us. They're just people around here. They can go to the zoo with their kids, they can attend PTO meetings, they can go out to dinner with their family and most times be treated just like any other Nashvillian going out. People will smile at them, say hey, how are you...and then leave them alone to enjoy themselves. That is something you can't buy.

Thanks for sharing that.

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 05:43 AM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
He is absolutely correct.

We have another positive, too. We've had "stars" around for so long, there is a protective culture for the players' privacy and safekeeping of their children already in place. Sometimes people will say that Nashvillians don't know who the players are. Not true. We see them, it's kinda cool, but quite frankly we grow up with stars among us. They're just people around here. They can go to the zoo with their kids, they can attend PTO meetings, they can go out to dinner with their family and most times be treated just like any other Nashvillian going out. People will smile at them, say hey, how are you...and then leave them alone to enjoy themselves. That is something you can't buy.

Thanks for sharing that.
This is 100% accurate. JP Dumont when he was here used to come into my place of business every weekend. The only time I ever saw him get hassled was when their was a Red Wings fan in town sitting at a different table from him. The Red Wings fan noticed him and started heckling "Nashville Sucks" "Preds Suck" and JP laughed and turned around and looked at the guy (JP was at the Bar) he said, "Well buddy, if we suck so bad, why the hell did we beat your team 8-0?" Then he just turned around and went back to eating. The Red Wings fan shut-up and everyone was laughing at him. We don't pester people like they do in LA or New York, paparazzi are much fewer an far between here because when they call the neighbors up of the players or stars the neighbors have the common decency to say, "That's none of my business or yours". We stick together in Tennessee, and that's how we like it. Also, thanks for the comment, was great reading that.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Legionnaire11

This is funny because we used to trumpet this tune loudly when we were signing Kariya, Arnott, Dumont and trading for Forsberg...

now the past few seasons that we haven't done anything, the tale goes that nobody wants to come here and we have to severely overpay to get anyone good (and it's just not worth it for player x)...

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:29 AM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
This is 100% accurate. JP Dumont when he was here used to come into my place of business every weekend. The only time I ever saw him get hassled was when their was a Red Wings fan in town sitting at a different table from him. The Red Wings fan noticed him and started heckling "Nashville Sucks" "Preds Suck" and JP laughed and turned around and looked at the guy (JP was at the Bar) he said, "Well buddy, if we suck so bad, why the hell did we beat your team 8-0?" Then he just turned around and went back to eating. The Red Wings fan shut-up and everyone was laughing at him. We don't pester people like they do in LA or New York, paparazzi are much fewer an far between here because when they call the neighbors up of the players or stars the neighbors have the common decency to say, "That's none of my business or yours". We stick together in Tennessee, and that's how we like it. Also, thanks for the comment, was great reading that.
I wouldn't say 100% accurate for all sports celebrities. I've watched Eddie George and Jeff Fisher get inundated with fans wanting a picture or autograph in the arena, and people were pestering Jay Cutler and his fiancee' at the game a little while back. Eddie had to get up and leave the lower bowl because of it. Kind of funny, but he came in and sat down by Zach Pillars to watch the game, and not a soul had come up to Zach for anything until Eddie showed up, and even then I think everyone ignored poor ol' Zachy.

PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:15 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Funny I went to a wine tasting fund raiser and talked with Stephen Tulloch for the majority of the night. No one else even approached him or for the most part no one did. Funny we didn't even talk football much.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Well I did say "most" times...

There was a teenager in my section one time who was determined to meet Carrie Underwood...sigh. I'm not sure if she did, but she was scouting ways to get to her box from our seats...on the third level. I tried to discourage that, but she doesn't understand the Nashville code yet. But that is the key, we DO have a code and most of us abide by it. I guess it's easier when you've gone to school with the stars or their children or live down the street from one. Hillary Scott (Lady Antebellum) was in my daughter's 3rd grade class...and at that time her mom was a rising star. We'd see limousines picking her mom up all the time, which is truly hilarious in our neighborhood. My husband tells the wicked story of the time he flipped off Johnny Cash...not because he was Johnny Cash, but because he was annoyed that he was in his way, same as for anyone in his way. And yes, he knew who he was at the time, but he wasn't going to give him special treatment. (Hubby = Hothead)

Old
01-27-2012, 10:41 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
2nd best game in Preds history (just behind closing out the 1st round last year against ANA). I missed the game because of work. My wife tried to text me every time we scored, but couldn't keep up because we were scoring so fast. Thankfully, she DVRed the game.

I've always wondered how much professional sports players benefit from the absence of a state income tax. 2% of 2.5 million is 50K. Not a lot, but it's a nice little bonus I suppose.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:58 AM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Well I did say "most" times...

There was a teenager in my section one time who was determined to meet Carrie Underwood...sigh. I'm not sure if she did, but she was scouting ways to get to her box from our seats...on the third level. I tried to discourage that, but she doesn't understand the Nashville code yet. But that is the key, we DO have a code and most of us abide by it. I guess it's easier when you've gone to school with the stars or their children or live down the street from one. Hillary Scott (Lady Antebellum) was in my daughter's 3rd grade class...and at that time her mom was a rising star. We'd see limousines picking her mom up all the time, which is truly hilarious in our neighborhood. My husband tells the wicked story of the time he flipped off Johnny Cash...not because he was Johnny Cash, but because he was annoyed that he was in his way, same as for anyone in his way. And yes, he knew who he was at the time, but he wasn't going to give him special treatment. (Hubby = Hothead)
True, it does apply for most celebs. My wife's a diehard Jay Cutler fan, and that night he was at the game she kept staring over at him, and I had to keep telling her "No, don't even think about it". The night we saw Eddie getting mobbed, even the lead singer for the band that played during the intermissions that night came up and asked for a picture with him.

Flipped off Johnny Cash, did he? Did Johnny return the gesture??

Old
01-27-2012, 11:06 AM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
2nd best game in Preds history (just behind closing out the 1st round last year against ANA). I missed the game because of work. My wife tried to text me every time we scored, but couldn't keep up because we were scoring so fast. Thankfully, she DVRed the game.

I've always wondered how much professional sports players benefit from the absence of a state income tax. 2% of 2.5 million is 50K. Not a lot, but it's a nice little bonus I suppose.
Considering how much they get taxed for being professional athletes, I'm sure they're happy to cut their taxes any way they can. If I'm not mistaken, the players have to pay a special tax for playing in other states and cities other than their hometown. I remember hearing a story from Craig Hentrich's wife about how P.O.'ed he got every quarter when he would sit down with his accountant and pay his taxes. She said he'd be sullen for a couple of days afterwards because of all the money he had to pay out to different states and cities for playing a game there.

Old
01-27-2012, 11:10 AM
jstreet

vCash: 1500
Thanks for sharing, I was lucky enough to get York to sign his rookie card for me. My respect for him just went up another notch!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 11:34 AM
66Falconboy

Quote:
Good stuff. I second this.

66Falconboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post
I wouldn't say 100% accurate for all sports celebrities. I've watched Eddie George and Jeff Fisher get inundated with fans wanting a picture or autograph in the arena, and people were pestering Jay Cutler and his fiancee' at the game a little while back. Eddie had to get up and leave the lower bowl because of it. Kind of funny, but he came in and sat down by Zach Pillars to watch the game, and not a soul had come up to Zach for anything until Eddie showed up, and even then I think everyone ignored poor ol' Zachy.
Reminds of when Vince Gill stopped in for breakfast at a restaurant I used to work at. Most of us just went about our business, but there were still several who made a big deal about it. They went over for autographs and such... NOBODY made mention of Amy Grant sitting right next to him

Old
01-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Preds311

From any distance....nobody cares about Amy Grant lol

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
True, it does apply for most celebs. My wife's a diehard Jay Cutler fan, and that night he was at the game she kept staring over at him, and I had to keep telling her "No, don't even think about it". The night we saw Eddie getting mobbed, even the lead singer for the band that played during the intermissions that night came up and asked for a picture with him.

Flipped off Johnny Cash, did he? Did Johnny return the gesture??
Not to my knowledge. Story was that JC was driving his kids to school late (as usual). Mr. Adz was around 14 or 15. I forget why he wasn't in class but since his mom taught there he may have been getting something out of the car for her. Anyway, JC almost ran into him--wasn't paying attention. It wasn't a premeditated "I'm going to flip off Johnny Cash"--but he did flip off Johnny Cash. My tale of glory is that the only time I've ever ridden a motorcycle it was with Hank Williams Jr. He was around 19 and my next door neighbor was the pianist for his band. We lived in an apartment with driveways and speedbumps and Hank would give all us kids rides. He was already famous then, but we just saw him as a big kid with a cool toy.

Old
01-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I think the whole "Nashville is used to celebrities" thing is true to an extent, but you'll always get people who recognize them that make it a big deal. I mean from all I've heard, Nashville is a great place to play/live, and I'm glad I grew up there. I live in in the Hollywood district of LA, so I have to see a lot of the stuff that goes along with the public's perception of celebrities, and I don't know much about what athletes deal with here, but I think a lot of athletes (except for the real superstars) play second fiddle to the movie stars and musicians much like athletes do in Nashville. We all know it's Music City. There are musicians and stuff and it's cool and whatnot but really I think people enjoy the sports they watch and let the athletes be themselves in their personal life. When you grow up/live in a town based on entertainment, your view on the entertainers/athletes is kind of skewed and you accept them as part of your city. I think in cities like Nashville and Los Angeles, a lot of the admiration and "harrassment" of celebrities come from people who don't live there, and think it's "cool" to recognize people.

Quote:
True, it does apply for most celebs. My wife's a diehard Jay Cutler fan, and that night he was at the game she kept staring over at him, and I had to keep telling her "No, don't even think about it".
I met Cutler at a Preds game when he was Vandy's QB and he was really nice. For what it's worth. He took a picture with me and a friend and seemed to have no problem with it.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:53 PM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I think the whole "Nashville is used to celebrities" thing is true to an extent, but you'll always get people who recognize them that make it a big deal. I mean from all I've heard, Nashville is a great place to play/live, and I'm glad I grew up there. I live in in the Hollywood district of LA, so I have to see a lot of the stuff that goes along with the public's perception of celebrities, and I don't know much about what athletes deal with here, but I think a lot of athletes (except for the real superstars) play second fiddle to the movie stars and musicians much like athletes do in Nashville. We all know it's Music City. There are musicians and stuff and it's cool and whatnot but really I think people enjoy the sports they watch and let the athletes be themselves in their personal life. When you grow up/live in a town based on entertainment, your view on the entertainers/athletes is kind of skewed and you accept them as part of your city. I think in cities like Nashville and Los Angeles, a lot of the admiration and "harrassment" of celebrities come from people who don't live there, and think it's "cool" to recognize people.
I think it depends on the star power of the athlete or entertainer too, as evidenced by the stories above.

Quote:
I met Cutler at a Preds game when he was Vandy's QB and he was really nice. For what it's worth. He took a picture with me and a friend and seemed to have no problem with it.
Quick!! Delete this before my wife sees it! LOL!

Old
01-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Quote:
Quick!! Delete this before my wife sees it! LOL!
haha it's funny because I've seen so many people that say he's really kind of a jerk. I think he's a really quiet guy that seems rude, but that's just my guess/hope. Of course this was before he became "bigtime".

Old
01-27-2012, 10:44 PM
BADofSmashville

Love the positive exposure. Thanks for posting

BADofSmashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 05:50 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Oh no doubt this is a great place to live and raise a family. Prices are fairly reasonable, shopping/dining/entertainment is secretly great. Great weather (mostly). One-day drives to the nice white sand Gulf of Mexico beaches (I need palm trees not pine trees or mountains on my beach!) and other short weekend getaways. Tons of players love visiting the city.

(But apparently it's just not good enough to play hockey full time for some people.)

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:34 AM
RaiderDoug

Nice to hear positive stuff about Nashville.

I wish we could get more roadtrippers down here from other cities. Especially the snobby, non-traditional markets shouldn't exist types we have to deal with.

I never hear anyone say anything bad about us if they've been here.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Nice to hear positive stuff about Nashville.

I wish we could get more roadtrippers down here from other cities. Especially the snobby, non-traditional markets shouldn't exist types we have to deal with.

I never hear anyone say anything bad about us if they've been here.
Thankfully a lot of that stigma has been disappearing the last few years, slowly but surely. I think Atlanta and Phoenix were/are the new whipping boys of traditional market snobs.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Legionnaire11

you can see the change in attitude when you read the comments section of national articles. Almost nobody puts Nashville on their list of failing markets ripe for relocation/contraction.

Although i'm sure the second we run into trouble down the road (surely we don't think we're 100% secure now), I expect things will get ugly again in a hurry.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I was out at a bar for one of the Cup finals games last year and this Bruins fan literally tried arguing with me that the Preds were moving to Winnipeg, not Atlanta, because we suck every year and have no fans. You'll always come across morons every now and then.