HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Carter

Old
01-26-2012, 08:12 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
Completely agree with this, but I think they'll take the "how could Howson have known?" path.
Just my opinion, but there certainly was a window to have a stipulation that Howson got to talk to Carter or his agent to take his temperature before the deal was registered with the NHL.

It was an oversight; a foolish one at that.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:59 AM
jeffff

Interesting...........do they expect him to play next week?

jeffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:08 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffff View Post
Interesting...........do they expect him to play next week?
Carter? Richards indicated last night he expects Carter to play in one of the games on the upcoming road trip. He is traveling with the team.

Wrong tread, but he expect Wiz to start practicing with the team after they return, with another week or so after that before he plays a game.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:47 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Simply, if Carter didnt want to play for us I understand it. If we arent content with work we try to change scenery too. And this is a work for players they dont play for their favourite teams.

So, again, if it is right I would trade him for good offer when he could be or the first round TOP 10 player and a very good prospect, not average. Or for the first line center, inspite of wishing all Brassard fans, he wont be the first line center!!!

Last edited by mt-svk: 01-26-2012 at 06:54 PM.
mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:12 PM
MsWoof

If they're smart they'll trade him before the deadline since his NTC kicks in this summer. At that point, he can veto any trade and with that contract length, there are already teams that won't be interested.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:16 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
If they're smart they'll trade him before the deadline since his NTC kicks in this summer. At that point, he can veto any trade and with that contract length, there are already teams that won't be interested.
I have seen this posted a few time on here and I have a question. If Carter hates Columbus as much as some would have us believe why would he waive any trade that would send him out of here?

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
I have seen this posted a few time on here and I have a question. If Carter hates Columbus as much as some would have us believe why would he waive any trade that would send him out of here?
Look at the Dany Heatley fiasco. He wanted out of Ottawa, and that became public which reduced leverage. Then, with his NTC he vetoed a trade to Edmonton and Ottawa ended up getting less from San Jose.

It's a grey area whether Carter's NTC, signed with Philly, transferred to Columbus. I remember after the trade, the Dispatch reported it wasn't clear whether the clause remained binding.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:26 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Look at the Dany Heatley fiasco. He wanted out of Ottawa, and that became public which reduced leverage. Then, with his NTC he vetoed a trade to Edmonton and Ottawa ended up getting less from San Jose.

It's a grey area whether Carter's NTC, signed with Philly, transferred to Columbus. I remember after the trade, the Dispatch reported it wasn't clear whether the clause remained binding.
Yeah I guess that it could cause problems if he really wanted to be a jerk.

As for the NTC transferring I have never seen anything that 100% said it did.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:36 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

I'm pretty sure they said they honoured it, and Capgeek shows he has a NTC. Regardless, he signed that long term deal to stay in Philly, not to get traded 6 months later, especially when he had a handshake deal that they wouldn't invoke a trade before the NTC kicked in. If he's not happy I think it's the best thing for both sides to cut their losses.

I can't understand why Howson thought this would work, not only by bringing him over from a place he clearly loved, but also for thinking he and Nash would play well together when there is only 1 puck.

Also, like others said, if his NTC kicks in, he still has a say where he goes. For example, I can't imagine he'd go back to Philly so he would veto a trade there, not that there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening, LOL!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:

It would be nice if we could get confirmation if the NTC sticks. I'll try to ask Porty next chat.

Even if he didn't veto anything, the NTC would still require the Jackets' GM to consult with Carter and his agent before any trade gets finalized. This slows things down and complicates matters. It also increases the chances that players involved in the trade will get leaked to the media early, which I'm sure makes other GMs a little more wary.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
IIRC, Howson said they were going to honor Jeff's NTC once it kicked in.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Few teams will take Jeff Carter after the Flyers dumped him, his contract is iron clad... Howson bit under pressure to act.

Not saying Carter was a bad pick up but come on Jacket fans, we are talking about the Philadelphia Flyers here, their management team played us…

They moved Carter for a reason, those boys are big league, the inexperienced and subtle Howson was easy pickings.

Ask any Flyer fan, Voracek is not the main issue..... it's Sean Couturier. We got schooled! (the Flyers had a probability spread sheet set up on who they could draft with our pick long before the trade was consummated, and they were confident in their system to bring up a young player for success)

Voracek was simply a save face thing (for the trade) and they struck gold on that too.

Last edited by Robert: 01-26-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:38 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Few teams will take Jeff Carter after the Flyers dumped him, his contract is iron clad... Howson bit under pressure to act.

Not saying Carter was a bad pick up but come on Jacket fans, we are talking about the Philadelphia Flyers here, their management team played us…

They moved Carter for a reason, those boys are big league, the inexperienced and subtle Howson was easy pickings.

Ask any Flyer fan, Voracek is not the main issue..... it's Sean Couturier. We got schooled! (the Flyers had a probability spread sheet set up on who they could draft with our pick long before the trade was consummated, and they were confident in their system to bring up a young player for success)

Voracek was simply a save face thing (for the trade) and they struck gold on that too.
Who expected that Couturier will be aivalable? IMO nobody Howson not too. Ifyes, IMO he wouldnt trade this value for Carter.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 07:59 AM
FormerLeafsFan

I've always wondered why Carter hasn't been moved to the wing. I know he's the savior center this team has never had, but if he played wing in Philly, wouldn't it make sense in Columbus, too? He's game is not the typical set-the-table center role. So why not put a center (Brass, Johansen, Vermette?) between him and Nash and see if that doesn't spark something. Seems like they're trying to keep this square peg in a round hole and "hoping for the best".

FormerLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:01 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLeafsFan View Post
I've always wondered why Carter hasn't been moved to the wing. I know he's the savior center this team has never had, but if he played wing in Philly, wouldn't it make sense in Columbus, too? He's game is not the typical set-the-table center role. So why not put a center (Brass, Johansen, Vermette?) between him and Nash and see if that doesn't spark something. Seems like they're trying to keep this square peg in a round hole and "hoping for the best".
Carter was always more comfortable and better at C for the flyers. His defensive game also makes it smarter to keep him at C.

Him and Umberger used to have good chemistry, maybe they find some soon

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:42 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
it's Sean Couturier. We got schooled! (the Flyers had a probability spread sheet set up on who they could draft with our pick long before the trade was consummated, and they were confident in their system to bring up a young player for success)
Robert, if Carter was playing at his normal level very few would give a crap about Couturier. At least for another 4 years. Jake's shooting % is still below 8% and he's on pace for another 50 point season. How is that "striking gold"? He's basically doing what he did here.

All you really stated there is that the Flyers figured they could get a pretty good prospect that they could develop. Not exactly a mystery what they were trying to do.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:35 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

Just speculation tonight: but damn if this isnt another black eye for Columbus. A star player who just doesn't want to play in a city that doesn't compete for the Cup let alone the playoffs. Add that to Prospal's country club comments and some of his in-game comments the other night about guys that take off shifts. This whole thing just needs blown up.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:53 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Just speculation tonight: but damn if this isnt another black eye for Columbus. A star player who just doesn't want to play in a city that doesn't compete for the Cup let alone the playoffs. Add that to Prospal's country club comments and some of his in-game comments the other night about guys that take off shifts. This whole thing just needs blown up.
I miss Lyle Odelein.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 07:35 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Portzline's The FAN radio interview from yesterday prior to the protest...

"Carter officially on the block"

So Sad.

I think his coming was cursed from the beginning when the Flyers shocked him by trading him. How many days was it before he spoke to the media?

If he doesn't want to go, he needs to publicly say so. That would be a class move.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:20 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Portzline's The FAN radio interview from yesterday prior to the protest...

"Carter officially on the block"

So Sad.

I think his coming was cursed from the beginning when the Flyers shocked him by trading him. How many days was it before he spoke to the media?

If he doesn't want to go, he needs to publicly say so. That would be a class move.
Yeah, Honestly, I can't voice this enough of what a disaster this would be if its something that the organization has deciding and something Jeff hasn't actually asked for.

It could be that he promised not to make it public if they dealt him before the offseason, that would be the only recourse I would have to side with this madness.

How long are we going to be looking for the next guy to center our top line for a decade? Because its taken 11 years until this point and it seems like thats all about to be thrown away based on half a season, not only that but its likely that Carter will likely return something less than what was given to get him....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 11:21 AM
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
How long are we going to be looking for the next guy to center our top line for a decade? Because its taken 11 years until this point and it seems like thats all about to be thrown away based on half a season, not only that but its likely that Carter will likely return something less than what was given to get him....
Mikhail Grigorenko can play centre so you can draft him with the 1st overall pick.

DPyro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:24 PM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

When is carter scheduled to be back in the line-up?

n00b1AnPr1nc355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
Mikhail Grigorenko can play centre so you can draft him with the 1st overall pick.
We have Brassard Johansen and Jenner. We'll take Yakupov.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:42 AM
EspenK

haven't been a big Carter fan but just did some math in my head and over a full 82 (which is probably never going to happen) he is on pace for 27 goals and about 20 assists. Considering the injuries and lack of continuity this year, maybe he could be a 60 point guy for us in the future. Not exactly worth 5 mill a year,imo, but who else do we have that offers that potential? Now the attitude and locker room impact, I don't know. Just saying.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
haven't been a big Carter fan but just did some math in my head and over a full 82 (which is probably never going to happen) he is on pace for 27 goals and about 20 assists. Considering the injuries and lack of continuity this year, maybe he could be a 60 point guy for us in the future. Not exactly worth 5 mill a year,imo, but who else do we have that offers that potential? Now the attitude and locker room impact, I don't know. Just saying.
I'm looking forward to seeing him play tonight but not expecting too much as it's his first game back after the shoulder injury. Carter is a good player, one that I would like to see on a rebuilt CBJ roster but if any player does not want to be on his team they have to be moved.

I'm not saying this is the case with Carter but I’ve read some stuff from Portzline that leads me to believe it might be. It's a hard pill to swallow since he's only been around for six months but teams can't afford to ice players that dislike the team they are on.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote