HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm - Mtl

Old
01-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Prairie Habs

vCash: 500
Why would we trade Subban when we would have to use the pick to try and replace Subban? If anyone had actually watched our games they would now that losing Subban means that Diaz would become our top D on the right side (maybe Emelin because we would probably have to switch him over).

It wouldn't matter if we had some hot shot 18 year old forward coming in if our D looked like:

Gorges - Diaz
Kaberle - Emelin
Gill - Weber

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:18 PM
neofury*

Holy overrated Subban batman I love Subban and am one of his biggest supporters, but do you think they'd trade Taylor Hall or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for him? Not a chance. So this is a big no.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:28 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Holy overrated Subban batman I love Subban and am one of his biggest supporters, but do you think they'd trade Taylor Hall or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for him? Not a chance. So this is a big no.
The oilers aren't last there 6 points back from Montreal.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
It's true, Subban is a known quantity, but look at the last 10 or so #1/2 overall picks and tell me how many of them you wouldn't trade Subban for?

RNH, Landeskog
Hall, Seguin
Tavares, Hedman
Stamkos, Doughty
Kane, JVR
E.Johnson, J.Staal
Crosby, Ryan
Ovechkin, Malkin
Fleury, E.Staal
Nash, Lehtonen
Kovalchuk, Spezza

Lehtonen, and possibly JVR. Aside from that, I'd say the odds of a top 2 pick turning out to be significantly better than Subban are pretty good.

wouldn't trade Subban for any of the players in bold...

factor in cap hits/current contracts, and you can add Kovalchuk & Staal to that list as well.

doesn't matter what people's assumptions are, anyone who has watched Subban consistently in his 1 1/2 years in the NHL can see very clearly that he has all the tools to become a top-10 dman in the league.

last year down the stretch and in the first round of the playoffs (in his rookie season), he was easily playing at a top-10 level. he's struggled a bit this year (as has the entire habs team), and yet is still on pace for 30+ pts and playing 20-25min/game in his sophomore season.

At the draft, a 1-for-1 swap for the first overall pick would have to be considered, but I wouldn't be upset in the least bit if I found out the habs said no thank you.

on the flip side, as a non-oilers fan who lives in AB and watches a fair amount of Oilers games, I'd argue strongly that adding a player like Subban (young minute crunching dman with resume of strong play in important situations -NHL playoffs, WJC, top-10 @ his position potential, RFA for years to come) would seriously make me consider trading that 1st overall.

heck even beyond that, if I'm the oilers and i end up with the 1st overall, I'm looking to move that pick for sure.

people may disagree that Subban would be worth that, but there is no arguing that Subban would fill a huge hole for that organization long-term... what is a #1 dman worth?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 03:02 PM
MessierII

I love how underrated Hall gets. If Hall hadn't got hurt he would be on pace for 35 goals his second season. As if you wouldn't trade Subban for Hall straight accross. Rediculous homerism.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 04:57 PM
hfboardsuser

Ryan Whitney + Edm 1st for PK Subban + Mtl 1st.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 04:59 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Ryan Whitney + Edm 1st for PK Subban + Mtl 1st.
How about we remove Whitney and Subban and just trade firsts???

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:24 PM
bbgarnett

No from Edm they have done well with there 1st overall picks lately.

bbgarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:40 PM
oilers1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
wouldn't trade Subban for any of the players in bold...

factor in cap hits/current contracts, and you can add Kovalchuk & Staal to that list as well.

doesn't matter what people's assumptions are, anyone who has watched Subban consistently in his 1 1/2 years in the NHL can see very clearly that he has all the tools to become a top-10 dman in the league.

last year down the stretch and in the first round of the playoffs (in his rookie season), he was easily playing at a top-10 level. he's struggled a bit this year (as has the entire habs team), and yet is still on pace for 30+ pts and playing 20-25min/game in his sophomore season.

At the draft, a 1-for-1 swap for the first overall pick would have to be considered, but I wouldn't be upset in the least bit if I found out the habs said no thank you.

on the flip side, as a non-oilers fan who lives in AB and watches a fair amount of Oilers games, I'd argue strongly that adding a player like Subban (young minute crunching dman with resume of strong play in important situations -NHL playoffs, WJC, top-10 @ his position potential, RFA for years to come) would seriously make me consider trading that 1st overall.

heck even beyond that, if I'm the oilers and i end up with the 1st overall, I'm looking to move that pick for sure.

people may disagree that Subban would be worth that, but there is no arguing that Subban would fill a huge hole for that organization long-term... what is a #1 dman worth?
It's good you're not a GM then, because you wouldn't get Landeskog
Hall, J.Staal, Fleury, Nash, and Spezza for him anyways. Some people hear are severely over-rating Subban's worth.

oilers1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:06 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgarnett View Post
No from Edm they have done well with there 1st overall picks lately.
Its quite easy drafting when you have the number 1 overall pick in back to back drafts. Kudos to the Oilers for making that happen.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:43 PM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghozzt View Post
Actually, the Oilers management did say they'd be interested in moving their first for Subban...
link?

OilChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:43 PM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Its quite easy drafting when you have the number 1 overall pick in back to back drafts. Kudos to the Oilers for making that happen.
Yep....and you guys are just lining up the cups.....

OilChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:15 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Bring on the hate It'll be so good when Subban's over his childishness and goes back to playing the way he proved he can. Many will be clamouring to trade for him once again.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Chayos

If Subban is available then the Oilers should be pursuing him, but if you look at the make up of the Canadians you can see they can't afford to move him.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Great One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Bring on the hate It'll be so good when Subban's over his childishness and goes back to playing the way he proved he can. Many will be clamouring to trade for him once again.

This is kinda ironic because earlier the year I commented on a few Subban threads on the Habs boards about how he'll need to mature and get over his selfish, childish attitude before he becomes a complete player in this league and recieves any respect from other fans and players around the league. I was called a hater and racist and every other name you can think of.

Not trying to rub it in or say I told you so, but it's nice to see Habs fans actually start to notice what the rest of the fans already knew about the kid since last year. He probably wouldn't even be as bad as he is if he hadn't been so overrated and defended so often by his fans.

With respect to this proposal, as an Oiler fan, I would say no. Not that I don't think Subban has some great potential, it's just that his attitude toward teammates and coaches really have me turned from PK. The kid has issues, and if anyone can't see that then they really need to be hit with a dose of reality. This season alone he's already had altercations with teammates in practice, 2 head coaches as well as an assistant coach and has been called out by more than one teammate in the media. That's not even including the run ins he had with teammates last season and stories of how his attitute has pissed off some guys in the dressing room. I'm not saying Subban is not talented and couldn't help out a struggling Oiler blueline but for the price of an almost guaranteed top 5 pick for a guy who could become a real cancer with the team, no thanks.

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
link?
There is no link as that would be tampering just someone else who is delusional thinking the Oil would give up a potential top 1,2,3 pick in the draft for Subban.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:11 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
If Edmonton's 1st rounder was 5th overall, it wouldn't be a bad move for Edmonton.

On the other hand... if Montreal got 5th overall for Suban Canadiens fans would probably start cheering for the Leafs in protest of such of a boneheaded decision.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:42 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers1084 View Post
It's good you're not a GM then, because you wouldn't get Landeskog
Hall, J.Staal, Fleury, Nash, and Spezza for him anyways. Some people hear are severely over-rating Subban's worth.
and some people have very short memories...

heck, a year ago many sens fans would have jumped at moving Spezza and his salary for a far lesser asset than what Subban is.

#1 dmen are massively valuable to any team... while it may be fair to argue that a skilled forward is more talented than a given dman, when it comes down to value to a team + potential impact, give me the 25+min/game offensively productive dman over the flashy scorer any day of the week.

Subban has shown in several occasions in his first year and a half as an NHL player, that he has the tools/talent/drive to be a bonafide #1 dman, and in smaller samples (most notably the final 10-15 games of the season + playoffs of his rookie year) that he has the ability to be a top-10 caliber dman in the league...

if one were to ONLY consider the Subban of the 2011-2012 season (~40 games), where he has had issues with maturity and consistency (SHOCKING as it is that a sophomore dman might stumble a bit) than sure... make a case that he's "over-rated".

but if you look at his progression since being drafted, and you look at his whole body of NHL work, properly emphasizing his play in crucial situations (2 playoffs/ 1 stretch run), than it is a very different story.

bottom line, Habs (unless they are foolish, which wouldn't be a first) won't move him for anything short of a MASSIVE overpayment... a potential top-3 pick is in the ball park, but imo still not a done deal given that none of the 2012 prospects have the "crosby/malkin/ovechkin" type of sure-thing/generational talent aspect going for them.

5 years from now, it will be interesting to see whom is considered the more valuable/valued asset... anyone of the top 3 picks from the 2012 draft, or PK subban...

I suspect that Subban will be the obvious choice... remains to be seen.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:27 AM
oiler182

I really like Subban he is a great player but atop 3 pick is a stretch. I'd maybe do our first round pick next year, prospect, and maybe peckham. Not this years pick though, he isnt worth a top 3 pick

oiler182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One View Post
This is kinda ironic because earlier the year I commented on a few Subban threads on the Habs boards about how he'll need to mature and get over his selfish, childish attitude before he becomes a complete player in this league and recieves any respect from other fans and players around the league. I was called a hater and racist and every other name you can think of.
This is the case of most young men, you and I included. It's part of life, it's part of maturing. Subban has come a long ways already and no doubt, he has more maturing to do. No need for high horsing around.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:51 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
Yep....and you guys are just lining up the cups.....
Come take a walk through the bell center...there are 24 of them in the rafters...

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
Oilers say no thankyou
Your GM would do that deal in a nanosecond...but no way the Habs do that.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
Edmonton says no because of Subban's cancer reputation and they would rather have a guy like Murray anyway.
The same type of Cancer Thomas has(teammate) and led the Bruins to the Cup?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Horseradish

Unless Edmonton plans on finishing last or second last, they'd be crazy not to take Subban for their #1 pick. Subban has more upside, and is well on his way to achieving it, than anybody other than Yakupov, maybe Grigorenko.

I'm an Oiler fan and I would do it in a heart beat. Say they draft Murray, he's not going to be an impact NHL d-man until his 4th or 5th season if he follows the regular trajectory of a blue chip defensive prospect. Subban reaches his potential in the next two years, right in time with the kids at forward.

Where do I sign?

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:52 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
How about we remove Whitney and Subban and just trade firsts???
done deal, Edmonton are back to healthy.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote