HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Hawks acquire Brendan Morrison

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2012, 09:20 PM
  #26
LandofLincoln
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,598
vCash: 500
Good trade for Calgary.

I'm ok with it Connelly needed a shot. He might be a specialist, but most likelt a #5 defenseman ceiling. Still young enough to have a decent career in the NHL. Calgary wins the trade, but I like what the Hawks picked up considering it didn't cost anything.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:24 PM
  #27
LandofLincoln
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
My bet:

Bolland gets a long look at #2C. He's been on fire playing up there when he did with Sharp out. I think we see Sharp-Bolland-Hossa for a while

I'd wager that Morrison may get a good look at #3C for a bit, with Mayers at #4C. Morrison is a 50% face-off guy and plays well defensively, and Mayers is winning 55% of his face-offs, so I think Kruger just got moved to wing somewhere (hes at 45%).
Boom I think you called it like a Champion! We have a few weeks to see how it works and then probably add more, but glad we got him for the 9 game road trip. Perfect timing. I don't want to act like he is the savior, but maybe an energy boost. Bolland can play 2 line center.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:39 PM
  #28
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter
 
cbjerrisgaard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
Awesome room guy, underrated as a quality C in this league.

Not going to win any awards but he can play fill-in on pretty much any line.

Good pick up for you lads.

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:43 PM
  #29
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
xX Hot Fuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,437
vCash: 500
Not bad for a 1.25 cap hit

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:50 PM
  #30
stingo
Registered User
 
stingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,857
vCash: 500
Interesting trade. I hope it works out. Morrison is good on the face-offs, has some creative flash and is good when he doesn't have the puck. I hope he's healthy. Good trade for some center depth.

Connelly was never going to make the Hawks.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:51 PM
  #31
BiBoFro*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Boom I think you called it like a Champion! We have a few weeks to see how it works and then probably add more, but glad we got him for the 9 game road trip. Perfect timing. I don't want to act like he is the savior, but maybe an energy boost. Bolland can play 2 line center.
Hey buddy, credit where credit is due, that was my idea!

BiBoFro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:53 PM
  #32
BBH
34|38|61|10|13
 
BBH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago, IL, US of A
Country: United States
Posts: 4,206
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiBoFro View Post
Hey buddy, credit where credit is due, that was my idea!
Anyway, I have an interesting proposal in the Jack Johnson thread, flame away!

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:55 PM
  #33
moose vasko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 685
vCash: 500
Makes me wonder if Stanbo is saving his powder for the coveted second pairing blueliner (not a lot of defenseman out there but even fewer centers). At least we now have 4 guys who are real centers (and two who are at least 50% in the dot).

Good deal for both sides--no risks for either, and upside for both.

Hope Connelly gets a real shot with the Flames.

moose vasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:55 PM
  #34
Gootie
Thug of the Year
 
Gootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chiraq
Country: United States
Posts: 25,168
vCash: 1868
I hope the timing of this doesn't mean Toews is out a while.

Gootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:57 PM
  #35
KanetoToews2883
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
I hope the timing of this doesn't mean Toews is out a while.
Thought I read that Toews is back for Van

KanetoToews2883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:58 PM
  #36
SchruteFarms
Cup #5!
 
SchruteFarms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
I hope the timing of this doesn't mean Toews is out a while.
This was my 1st thought too.

SchruteFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:59 PM
  #37
RomersWorld*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Good trade for Calgary.

I'm ok with it Connelly needed a shot. He might be a specialist, but most likelt a #5 defenseman ceiling. Still young enough to have a decent career in the NHL. Calgary wins the trade, but I like what the Hawks picked up considering it didn't cost anything.
So if it didn't cost us anything then how does Calgary win?

We get an NHLer and they get a guy who is unlikely to stick in the NHL(although I hope he does)

Seems like both teams win to me since they have an abundance of centers and we needed one.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:04 PM
  #38
Godlike13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
My bet:

Bolland gets a long look at #2C. He's been on fire playing up there when he did with Sharp out. I think we see Sharp-Bolland-Hossa for a while

I'd wager that Morrison may get a good look at #3C for a bit, with Mayers at #4C. Morrison is a 50% face-off guy and plays well defensively, and Mayers is winning 55% of his face-offs, so I think Kruger just got moved to wing somewhere (hes at 45%).

I don't know, i think the Hawks are pretty happy with the rat as their shut down center. I think we'll see them try Morrison on the 2nd line first.

Godlike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:18 PM
  #39
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
xX Hot Fuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,437
vCash: 500
AND he's a UFA next year???? Nice move by Stan! Even if it's just a tiny one.

Still leaves us with cap flexibility, didn't give away a major prospect, and there's only a 30 game commitment (playoffs excluded).

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:21 PM
  #40
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,782
vCash: 500
We got Morrison for a guy who probably could be in the NHL as a 2nd PP QB/6th Dman and was never going to get a shot in our organization. I'm definately not opposed to this deal.

I also don't think this move has any relation to Toews. Beside the fact that Bowman has said they're targeting the Van game as a return, Bowman had publicly said that he was looking for centre depth.

I think, if Morrison is healthy and plays solid for us in our top-9, then this could be a win for both teams.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:22 PM
  #41
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper
 
HawksRule7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
AND he's a UFA next year???? Nice move by Stan! Even if it's just a tiny one.

Still leaves us with cap flexibility, didn't give away a major prospect, and there's only a 30 game commitment (playoffs excluded).
Exactly. Nothing huge, but no negatives from the Hawks' POV. Now make a bigger move and get us a defenseman, Stan.

HawksRule7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:25 PM
  #42
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,494
vCash: 500
This is almost like us getting him for free. We weren't going to use Brian, so we might as well stop trapping him in the minors and give him a shot elsewhere. I'm happy about this deal. I hope this isn't the second line center solution. It shouldn't be. Brendan will be a bottom-six guy for us who will really help out the penalty kill and provide leadership.

Stalberg-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Bolland-Hossa
Hayes-Morrison-Shaw
Brunette-Mayers-Kruger
Bickell, Frolik

I hope Bolland capitalizes on the opportunity to be a top-six forward. If he does, we can get a real nice defenseman. Not that we currently can't, but it won't screw us for next year.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:30 PM
  #43
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
This is almost like us getting him for free. We weren't going to use Brian, so we might as well stop trapping him in the minors and give him a shot elsewhere. I'm happy about this deal. I hope this isn't the second line center solution. It shouldn't be. Brendan will be a bottom-six guy for us who will really help out the penalty kill and provide leadership.

Stalberg-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Bolland-Hossa
Hayes-Morrison-Shaw
Brunette-Mayers-Kruger
Bickell, Frolik

I hope Bolland capitalizes on the opportunity to be a top-six forward. If he does, we can get a real nice defenseman. Not that we currently can't, but it won't screw us for next year.
I think they brought in Morrison to be the 2nd line centre, or at least, see if he can do a better job than Kruger/Pirri. If he can't, then maybe Bolland moves back up.. but I think you'll see Morrison with Sharp/Hossa for a little while, to see if any chemistry can be formed.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:31 PM
  #44
BiBoFro*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 915
vCash: 500
Also Coach Q said Toews would be back by Tuesday to play against Vancouver.

Come on Boys, you KNOW he'd never miss this game.

I wonder if he forgives Sharp/Kane for digging on him when he was coming back to the bench are the knee injury. Bygons be bygons?

BiBoFro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:32 PM
  #45
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I think they brought in Morrison to be the 2nd line centre, or at least, see if he can do a better job than Kruger/Pirri. If he can't, then maybe Bolland moves back up.. but I think you'll see Morrison with Sharp/Hossa for a little while, to see if any chemistry can be formed.
I honestly see it the other way. Morrison should be given a few games to get adjusted to the Hawks' system. If Bolland isn't doing well, Morrison will get his shot in the top-six as the second line center.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:34 PM
  #46
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,492
vCash: 500
I don't see the point of this acquisition as the team is on the verge of having everyone back healthy. It makes me wonder if Kruger or Bolland are about to be shipped out in a much bigger trade.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:37 PM
  #47
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 101,134
vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I don't see the point of this acquisition as the team is on the verge of having everyone back healthy. It makes me wonder if Kruger or Bolland are about to be shipped out in a much bigger trade.
Or Hawks just want a vet C for depth and Bickell is about to go bye bye

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:41 PM
  #48
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper
 
HawksRule7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Or Hawks just want a vet C for depth and Bickell is about to go bye bye
Yes and please.

HawksRule7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:46 PM
  #49
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I don't see the point of this acquisition as the team is on the verge of having everyone back healthy. It makes me wonder if Kruger or Bolland are about to be shipped out in a much bigger trade.
The Bowman's love Kruger and you don't trade one of your best playoff performers if you're supposedly wanting to go deep into the playoffs.

If anything, they'd likely be trading one (or both of) Frolik/Bickell and move Kruger to the wing.

This move, acquiring an older centre, who's going to be a UFA, should tell us that Bowman is comfortable in his centre depth moving forward (going into next year).. whether that's Kruger, Pirri, McNeill, K.Hayes, Danault, whoever.. It's not like the UFA market for centre's is all that appealing this year. Grabovski is the likely the best available and I doubt Chicago would be interested in paying him the kind of money his agent feels he's worth.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:49 PM
  #50
BiBoFro*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
The Bowman's love Kruger and you don't trade one of your best playoff performers if you're supposedly wanting to go deep into the playoffs.

If anything, they'd likely be trading one (or both of) Frolik/Bickell and move Kruger to the wing.

This move, acquiring an older centre, who's going to be a UFA, should tell us that Bowman is comfortable in his centre depth moving forward (going into next year).. whether that's Kruger, Pirri, McNeill, K.Hayes, Danault, whoever.. It's not like the UFA market for centre's is all that appealing this year. Grabovski is the likely the best available and I doubt Chicago would be interested in paying him the kind of money his agent feels he's worth.
Kruger was scratched during the playoffs... that's how dependable he is. Hopefully he'll be going one way and we'll get a gritty 4th liner in return.

BiBoFro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.