HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will The Circus Scare Off UFAs

Old
01-28-2012, 12:41 AM
yianik

vCash: 500
Will The Circus Scare Off UFAs

Assistant coaches fired just before a game, player being traded between periods ( I know their was an explanation, sort of ), player calling place a circus, frenzy ripping up a player ( PK ) who hockey people across the board think is a star in the making, A GM who says nothing to defend his coach, players, team. Is this a place UFAs will want to come to or are we back to the early years of Gainey when UFAs apparently had no interest in coming here ? I am raising this especially because while we have UFAs that everyone is almost agreed should be moved, like Gill and Campoli, there are others we may want to try to re-sign, especially if there may be a reluctance on UFAs to come. Im talking about Moen, who shouldnt have personal cause to complain because hes been fine here, and also AK, who though is often criticized, wants to stay here, and he says at a discount. Should we be so hasty moving these guys for picks because it may be a while before people forget the idiocy that has gone on here.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:47 AM
HeyTony

UFA's will come. But, we will probably have to over pay to get them.

HeyTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:11 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Money speaks louder than everything.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:12 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyTony View Post
Exactly... the circus is yet one more reason (along with taxes, weather, media/fan pressure, language, etc.... ) and will make us pay more if we want to sign ufas.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

It certainly cant help.

They have bad weather, high taxes, and 2 different language media which are very intense. Most players dont like the fishbowl atmosphere either.

The best thing montreal can do is re-build its winning reputation and try to sell players on that.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:49 AM
OneSharpMarble

How many positions are we seriously looking at filling via FA anyways? Most of the team is already set and we will have a few rookies fighting for the available bottom line spots. Other than maybe one top6 winger our whole top 3 lines are set and our defense is entirely set.

Gionta and Gomez are the biggest question marks. If Gomez is bought out he can be easily replaced from the farm but if Gionta is moved we will really need a top 6 winger. I don't think it is that big of a deal. UFA's care more about joining a winning team than anything else, if we start competing than everything else will be forgotten.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Mrb1p

It's sure going to be harder with all the problems:

Freak media like Francois G. Tony M. Etc.
Bad weather
Taxes
Language circus
Fans booing (Not so often)
Fans being bipolars.
City being ...Well Montréal... I mean pot holes... Pot Holes.. Well that's not much of a deal

I hope we can sign another top 9 LW ... And a Physical Stay at home dman (Johnny Boychuck being UFA ?)

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:03 AM
Pleky Roks

In a word.... YESSS!!!

Its hard enough to coax free agents to come play in Montreal because of the pressure of playing for the Habs....then add the media making up lies, the fans booing when they don't score a powerplay goal or if they lose 2 games in a row, the higher tax rate is unattractive too and now the whole language issue has been blown out of proportion because we have an english coach, something the Habs have had a lot of success with over their existance.

Just once...I'd like to see the fans, the city, the french and english people and the media all support the Habs for a change!!! Instead of making things more difficult for members of the Habs....make it a warm, supportive place to play hockey!!!

Its no wonder that Vinny Lecavalier will never leave Florida to come play in Montreal....he'd be under the spotlight for 60 minutes a game and 82 games a season. If he didn't score 1 goal and 1 assist EVERYGAME....he'd be boo'd mercilessly.

There is a reason why most French Canadian hockey players don't want to come play in Montreal.....the constant pressure!!! The sooner the city of Montreal realizes that, the sooner the Habs can forget about pleasing the people and just focus on building a winning team, no matter what language the players or coaches speak!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:22 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
as usual..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:14 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

The "circus" may not "scare off" UFAs, but it continues to be part of the equation that sees us at some kind of competitive disadvantage when it comes to who will come, and for how much.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:16 AM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Assistant coaches fired just before a game, player being traded between periods ( I know their was an explanation, sort of ), player calling place a circus, frenzy ripping up a player ( PK ) who hockey people across the board think is a star in the making, A GM who says nothing to defend his coach, players, team. Is this a place UFAs will want to come to or are we back to the early years of Gainey when UFAs apparently had no interest in coming here ? I am raising this especially because while we have UFAs that everyone is almost agreed should be moved, like Gill and Campoli, there are others we may want to try to re-sign, especially if there may be a reluctance on UFAs to come. Im talking about Moen, who shouldnt have personal cause to complain because hes been fine here, and also AK, who though is often criticized, wants to stay here, and he says at a discount. Should we be so hasty moving these guys for picks because it may be a while before people forget the idiocy that has gone on here.
they wouldnt come before usually used habs to get higher conttract from another etam- and if they did show up it was because the money was better than anyplace else- this summer isnt anything new

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:19 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
It wasn't a widely known problem back then.

Now that everybody and their grandmothers know that the teams number one priority is being French, it will probably be tough(er) getting UFAs to sign here.

If Mike Babcock or Barry Trotz were begging PG for a job here this summer, but he passed over BOTH of them so they could get a bilingual coach, you really don't think that would scare away UFAs?
opinion, not a fact.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:46 AM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
opinion, not a fact.
No, it's a fact.

Gauthier said that the next coach will be bilingual. He DID NOT say that the next coach will be the best available.

If the best available is a francophone that's great. But first and foremost (according to Gauthier) the language is the number one priority, not how well he can coach.

Like I said, if Mike Babcock were to leave the Red Wings, and BEGGED Gauthier for the job, he wouldn't get it because he doesn't speak French. This, despite the fact that he's better than ANY possible candidate right now, regardless of language.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 05:53 AM
Maliki2

It's not just here that there is a circus. Just look at what happened with Tim Thomas. The whole league is full of drama.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:00 AM
BigHabs

I think that the media makes everything seem more worse than it is.

I would think that the coach and GM should be determined before the draft, to have a sense of what the team is going to be expecting. Lead that into free agency and wish for the best.

Gauthier made it clear the Habs are going to go in the direction of getting bigger and tougher. Just don`t know if he will be the one around come July 1st.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:58 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
top end guys wil never come to Montreal , and I dont blame them

the media circus , language no privacy , for some taxes maybe an issue , etc...will not attract
the elite

why would Webber come here when he can go to less dysfunctional teams like Detroit who is run by first rate people , unlike our clowns

we have to grossly overpay like Cammy and Gio and they never work out , look at our record for proof

you will get guys like Cole who will given that extra year or 2 that others wont offer or guys at the end of thier career

money aside if you can get 5 mil in San Jose or us WTF would you chose MTL

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:40 AM
neofury*

Yes.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
How many positions are we seriously looking at filling via FA anyways? Most of the team is already set and we will have a few rookies fighting for the available bottom line spots. Other than maybe one top6 winger our whole top 3 lines are set and our defense is entirely set.

Gionta and Gomez are the biggest question marks. If Gomez is bought out he can be easily replaced from the farm but if Gionta is moved we will really need a top 6 winger. I don't think it is that big of a deal. UFA's care more about joining a winning team than anything else, if we start competing than everything else will be forgotten.
This team has 1 true top 6 center, and 2 true top 4 defencemen.

I would hope that our first rounder this year would fill the centre spot, because realistically, there is nothing on the farm that fills that spot (i realize it will take a couple years for them to develop).

On Defence we hope that Markov will be healthy and that will fill one of the top 4 D spots.

So we need to sign a defenceman.... someone who is big, and mean, and can play against teams who cycle in our zone endlessly.... would be ideal.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

On the subject at hand..

Good. This team is not a the place where it should be signing UFAs. UFAs tend to be overpaid. Which is fine if you are missing 1-2 pieces and you have the cap room. We're not 1-2 pieces away. We're 1-2 elite players away, and those are rarely ever available via UFA. In the rare occasions that they are, a fraction of them would be willing to sign here, and a fraction of that fraction would be a good fit in Montreal. So once in a blue moon there's a player that is worth signing.

So really, even if it's true that less UFAs want to sign here, then it's actually probably a first screening that is actually good for us. You aren't going to see me cry over UFAs not wanting to sign here.

Winning and money are two of the top considerations for a large number of UFAs who are worth signing. For UFAs who are winners and not loser mercenaries who bail out at the first opportunity.

If the team ever become good again with strong management, then UFAs will want to come here if we offer the right amount/terms. You can bet on it. But we have to get our **** together first. And until we do, we shouldn't be signing UFAs left and right like we've been doing.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:23 AM
KFlint

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
On the subject at hand..

Good. This team is not a the place where it should be signing UFAs.
Exactly what I was gonna to say. We have to rebuild the core of this team, not sign yet another overpaid secondary player.

The signing of Hossa with Chicago is a perfect example of a good UFA move. They had a promising young core and he wanted to win, so it wasn't as hard to convince a true elite player to sign. We have an average teamp without a promising future as it is right now, nobody will come here expecting to win a Stanley Cup.

Forget the elite UFA and stop patching the team with so-called offensive forwards like Gionta that should play on a 3rd line or shouldn't play at all in a good team. We don't need some heartless player like Semin either.

Montreal isn't Winniped, build a good core and UFA will come eventually.

KFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:28 AM
onice

On L'antichambre francois gagnon defended and explained what Spacek meant by the circus comment.

He said that Spacek loved being in Montreal. What he meant by the circus comment was the way he was treated by Gauthier on trade day. Francois Gagnon was implying that Spacek had no problem with Montreal only the management team that behaved and behaves 2nd rate.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:30 AM
idk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
he didnt say the next coach will be a man, nor did he say he''ll be familiar with sports...

and he never said the next coach will be a francophone either...

seriously...

Yeah, like the best (one of) coach in the league would need to beg for a coaching job... god damn! you arent serious are you ? you're doing this on purpose ?

If I were you, I'd stop posting on the subject, you're clearly not helping "your side".
The point is, Gautheir (and Molson) have publically come out and said that the ability to speak French is a key requirement for being the head coach in Montreal. Potential candidates who do not speak french need not apply.

If I were going to work in Montreal this would be a reasonable requirement, as being able to converse with my coworkers/employers/customers would be a reasonable requirement to place upon me. But this does not apply to the head coach of the Canadiens. English is the language of the NHL, the language of its players and its executives. So he must speak English. One could argue that it's also part of his job to interact with the media and there's a certain truth to that. But I counter with that if you hire a good coach you can fill the gap with translators and perhaps more face time with a francophone executive who speaks for the coach. A really good coach would take the time to learn the language - he might not be absolutely fluent in it, but he could probably answer rudimentary questions.

Now, you answer, there are lots of perfectly good francophone coaches out there. And you're right. The Q is full of them. However the most successful coaches in the NHL do not make the jump from the Q. Many of them have experience in the Q, but they usually go through a transition in the AHL. Since 2000 every Jack Adams winner save one has done time as a head coach in the AHL. The one is Jacque Lemaire, who predates a strong AHL.

Clearly if the Canadiens want to hire the best coach they need to hire one with AHL experience. In the AHL there is one head coach which I can trivially confirm is francophone - Clement Jodin in Hamilton - and one who might be - Bruce Cassidy in Providence is from Ottawa and there is a possibility that he is bilingual. This list is not exhaustive - I haven't done in-depth background checks on every coach. These are just the ones I could find some information on. However it stands to reason that there is very little chance of selecting a suitable candidate from the AHL.

There is, of course, the possibility that there are former AHL coaches working elsewhere who are more suitable (read: bilingual) candidates. Of course their candidicy raises other questions - why did they move down from the AHL to work elsewhere? Are they really the best candidate?

To me it's a matter of making a choice. We can hire a guy who is substandard (and by that I mean below the Canadiens standard of coaching - and guys like Bowman, Burns and Blake set that bar pretty high) and teach him how to coach, or we can hire a guy who is at or approaching the standard and teach him how to speak French. Which is easier to learn?

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Toastman

Imagine you are not born in Quebec. Lets say somewhere else in Canada. Would YOU sign in Montreal knowing that the media are a bunch of rabid dogs?

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:31 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
This will always be the case...taxes, media, language issue etc.

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post
Imagine you are not born in Quebec. Lets say somewhere else in Canada. Would YOU sign in Montreal knowing that the media are a bunch of rabid dogs?
Even if you are born in Qubec or French Ontario its career suicide coming to Montreal. Ask Briere he had a chance to sign a similar deal with the Habs opposed to Philly.

Its been happening for years.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote