HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Salo's play change the Comrie Deal?

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2003, 03:23 PM
goldenchild

vCash: 500
Does Salo's play change the Comrie Deal?

I'm not sure how much more I can take and I'm not sure how much more Lowe can take. 3-0 Leafs in a game we have played pretty well in, this is more than a little slump it has become a a pattern. Could it be that the reason Lowe hasn't pulled the trigger on a Comrie deal is because he may need to turn Comrie into a goalie?

Maybe not as the center piece but perhaps a guy that could at the very least push Salo for #1 a guy with NHL credentials, simlar to the Canucks getting Hedberg. Even if the Comrie deal needs to be expanded and we have to add a player or prospect I think it is becoming more and more aparent that Salo isn't right. I mean take a team like Ana if we make a move for Lupal maybe we need to increase it and get a guy like gerber, or a deal for Weiss maybe we get Hurme included, wherever we deal Comrie I think we need to find a goalie.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:08 PM
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild
I'm not sure how much more I can take and I'm not sure how much more Lowe can take. 3-0 Leafs in a game we have played pretty well in, this is more than a little slump it has become a a pattern. Could it be that the reason Lowe hasn't pulled the trigger on a Comrie deal is because he may need to turn Comrie into a goalie?

Maybe not as the center piece but perhaps a guy that could at the very least push Salo for #1 a guy with NHL credentials, simlar to the Canucks getting Hedberg. Even if the Comrie deal needs to be expanded and we have to add a player or prospect I think it is becoming more and more aparent that Salo isn't right. I mean take a team like Ana if we make a move for Lupal maybe we need to increase it and get a guy like gerber, or a deal for Weiss maybe we get Hurme included, wherever we deal Comrie I think we need to find a goalie.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Any comrie deal now has to bring back a goalie in return. Hurme or Gerber both seem like good ones.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:27 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN
I think you hit the nail right on the head. Any comrie deal now has to bring back a goalie in return. Hurme or Gerber both seem like good ones.
Let's try Conklin and Valiquette. If they do the job let's package Salo and whoever for a first line centre. Or is Salo another one of those overpaid, overrated people that we can't get what we see as fair market value for?

Old
11-08-2003, 06:34 PM
CanmoreMike

Salo can play himself out of town all he wants - I don't think the Oilers are in a position to take another goalie. Too much money on one position. The real problem is that the Oilers will either have to find a solution to Salo within the organization or they will have to wait until season's end.

Here's one idea though -

RedWings take Salo, we get Joseph. Joseph agrees to restructure his contract so that the money he gets paid is paid over 3 years, not two and the Wings assume a small chunk of Joseph's contract, say a million.

That means the Oilers are paying Joseph 16 million less a million over 3 years and although they will be out a chunk of money this year, they can atleast say that rather than spending 3.5million on Salo to not play, or to play badly, they are paying 6 million, or another 2.5 million, for a good goalie.

Sounds extreme and I don't think Lowe moves on his goalie until Comrie situation gets settled - he'd be dumb to move now. But the thread is right that something is just not right with this guy. I think the next 4 game home stand will say all there needs to be said.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:47 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanmoreMike
Salo can play himself out of town all he wants - I don't think the Oilers are in a position to take another goalie. Too much money on one position. The real problem is that the Oilers will either have to find a solution to Salo within the organization or they will have to wait until season's end.

Here's one idea though -

RedWings take Salo, we get Joseph. Joseph agrees to restructure his contract so that the money he gets paid is paid over 3 years, not two and the Wings assume a small chunk of Joseph's contract, say a million.

That means the Oilers are paying Joseph 16 million less a million over 3 years and although they will be out a chunk of money this year, they can atleast say that rather than spending 3.5million on Salo to not play, or to play badly, they are paying 6 million, or another 2.5 million, for a good goalie.

Sounds extreme and I don't think Lowe moves on his goalie until Comrie situation gets settled - he'd be dumb to move now. But the thread is right that something is just not right with this guy. I think the next 4 game home stand will say all there needs to be said.
Interesting idea, although it doesn't *really* solve Detroit's problem. They'd still have an extra goalie (Legace). I think they just want to move Joseph for either a forward or defenseman (now that Hatcher's out for longer than expected) or some prospect(s)/draft pick(s).

Bart

Old
11-08-2003, 10:53 PM
fuhr

Unless they are getting a goalie as a throw in or add on,you don't trade Comrie for a goalie. This team badly needs help at centre so get someone who can fill that hole and worry about a goalie later. What kind of goalie do you think you're going to get for Comrie? Unless it's Blackburn and his shoulder checks out please no goalie coming back in a Comrie deal.

Closed Thread