HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Andrei Markov Thread

Old
01-28-2012, 12:12 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Streit was also older... and was playing on the best PP in the NHL.

Weber is actually quite good on the PP, I would even say better than PK. But, you're missing the entire point of my post...
I don't think you make a very strong point comparing Weber to Streit. Streit liked to play defense better but he was very effective that year and one of the reasons this powerplay was one of the best. He just prefered playing as a defensemen.

Weber is probably one of the least important members of this team at the moment. He is not one of our top6 defensemen and he is erratic powerplay. He's lucky Markov isn't playing, that Subban has a down year offensively and that Campoli isn't as good as previously anticipated.

Speaking of Markov I'm not worried about his cap hit due to ways of getting out of his contract if he can't play again. I'm worried for the tank more than anything if he comes back this year

I look at Selanne not playing during the lockout and hope Markov benefits from the Sabbatical year effect in the same way.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I think there's no one who wants to see Markov playing with the team, more than Andrei Markov himself.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:18 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I think there's no one who wants to see Markov playing with the team, more than Andrei Markov himself.
I know he's a multi-millionaire but I can't help but think ''poor guy...'' whenever he's mentionned. He looked so angry/sad when he got injured the last time.

Since he seems like a super nice guy completely devoted to the sport it makes sense. I'm sure he'd trade a couple millions to be healthy and play.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:21 PM
habscup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I know he's a multi-millionaire but I can't help but think ''poor guy...'' whenever he's mentionned. He looked so angry/sad when he got injured the last time.

Since he seems like a super nice guy completely devoted to the sport it makes sense. I'm sure he'd trade a couple millions to be healthy and play.
link please, i dont buy it.

habscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
So many distractions with this team, that Markov's been on the back burner lately. What worries me a bit is. I had a buddy that screwed up his knee similar to Markov & it took a long time to recover & he was pretty young at the time. Every-time he exerted himself it would start filling up with fluid & pretty fast! He'd have to go to the Hospital to get it drained constantly, this went on for a year.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:28 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
I think we're all wondering the same thing. The lack of updates suggests this problem is indefinite. It's been over a year since his last game, and about two years since he's been "healthy". Players don't normally come back from that number of setbacks. Best case scenario for everyone is that he retires.
like I said before waste of a contract for a player who is done , and once again poor asset management by a fked up GM once again

we should of let him walk , we played well without him , we were not a healthy Markov away from anthing , let alone a wounded one .

poor management = poor results

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:32 PM
coolasprICE

Im expecting a press conference following the all start break explaining the delay

If not, Im going to organize a protest... more details about this to come if and once we cross that bridge.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I know there's often talk about him in the injury thread, but I think his situation deserves some more attention on its own.

It's been weeks and there has been no news about him whatsoever. Goat said he was supposed to be back "after the all-star game"...which is this Sunday. Was that PR talk for "at any point after the all-star game"? It's starting to sound like it, sadly.

There's a situation nobody seems to want to talk about: what if Markov's continual setbacks are a result of his body's incapacity to fully heal? What if he's damaged goods, and will remain damaged goods? Will the Habs be able to do anything with his contract, like Chris Drury, if he's physically not able to fulfill it?

Now that's obviously the worst-case scenario, but it's a scenario nonetheless. For a guy who blew out his knee last November, the fact he hasn't returned yet is extremely worrisome (/captainobvious).

Second question:

If all the stars align and Markov returns, how do you see him fitting into the lineup as it currently stands?

I know people keep saying they want to see Kaberle and Markov on the PP, but there's an issue there: they're not shooters. Maybe Markov's return is the white horse that saves our PP, but he'll probably wind up playing with either Subban or Diaz (please no Weber).

Your thoughts?
Is there a trade or buyout here somewhere, where do i sign ? PG

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
My thought is that Weber leads all defensemen with 4 PP goals, so why no Weber?

Markov and Kaberle are both excellent puck movers, they'll figure out what to do if they're on the PP together.
Why? Because he gives away more then he brings. Four PP goals doesn't earn him forgiveness for his errors of omission and commission on the PP as well as at ES.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:46 PM
lxzred

Markov love, Elite puck moving defensmen who can play defense don't grow on trees.
To think he already signed here once for well under market value and people talk about him as a spoiled millionaire?
Besides the "lazy" "spoiled" "heartless" Russians name me other players (beside AK and Markov-2007) who have offered hometown discount to play for Montreal?

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:56 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxzred View Post
Markov love, Elite puck moving defensmen who can play defense don't grow on trees.
To think he already signed here once for well under market value and people talk about him as a spoiled millionaire?
Besides the "lazy" "spoiled" "heartless" Russians name me other players (beside AK and Markov-2007) who have offered hometown discount to play for Montreal?
Danny Briere? Ohh, wait...

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Help
Help Yourself

He'll be back, and he'll be fine. I think a lot of you forget just how good Markov really is, and more importantly how good he makes his partner. He made Komisarek an all-star, with a little bit of assistance in the form of ballet box stuffing, but it still happened. MIKE ****ING KOMISAREK.

And do you want to know the best part of it all? His game wasn't based on speed. So the surgery on his knee shouldn't affect his game at all.

Feel free to be cynical about him, see if I care, but don't act like you always had faith in the guy when he comes back

Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:59 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
I don't think you make a very strong point comparing Weber to Streit. Streit liked to play defense better but he was very effective that year and one of the reasons this powerplay was one of the best. He just prefered playing as a defensemen.

Weber is probably one of the least important members of this team at the moment. He is not one of our top6 defensemen and he is erratic powerplay. He's lucky Markov isn't playing, that Subban has a down year offensively and that Campoli isn't as good as previously anticipated.

Speaking of Markov I'm not worried about his cap hit due to ways of getting out of his contract if he can't play again. I'm worried for the tank more than anything if he comes back this year

I look at Selanne not playing during the lockout and hope Markov benefits from the Sabbatical year effect in the same way.
Again, not my point...

My point is to say that the reason Weber struggles right now is that each errors he makes puts him in the hot seat. He doesn't play regulary at his position and it's difficult for him to get better or have better confidence.

The same situation happened to Streit while in Mtl. He said it himself on numerous occasions that it was difficult to adapt and re-adapt himself to playing on the 4th line, LD and RD...

O'Byrne was in the same position where he was so afraid to make a mistake that he was scrared ****less on the ice... it has nothing to do with skills but CONFIDENCE in his skills...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:00 PM
lxzred

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Danny Briere? Ohh, wait...
VINNNYYYY!!!! - nope

Old
01-28-2012, 01:02 PM
lxzred

Souray - Komi ?, not them either

Old
01-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

If he ever returns, he'll never be the Markov that people remember and I'm convinced of that. His signing was Pierre Gauthier's single biggest mistake in my opinion.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:04 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Saw the words "damaged goods". Are we talking about Markov or your boy Scott Gomez?

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Saw the words "damaged goods". Are we talking about Markov or your boy Scott Gomez?
Reading comprehension is a skill I acquired in grade 2.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:30 PM
habitue*

Quote:

Maybe he had time to learn some "French"...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:33 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Again, not my point...

My point is to say that the reason Weber struggles right now is that each errors he makes puts him in the hot seat. He doesn't play regulary at his position and it's difficult for him to get better or have better confidence.

The same situation happened to Streit while in Mtl. He said it himself on numerous occasions that it was difficult to adapt and re-adapt himself to playing on the 4th line, LD and RD...

O'Byrne was in the same position where he was so afraid to make a mistake that he was scrared ****less on the ice... it has nothing to do with skills but CONFIDENCE in his skills...
The Habs failed misirably with O'Byrne and are repeating with Weber - two right handed d-men, a precious commodity in the NHL. Hopefully they won't ****ed up with Subban more.

O'Byrne was the ideal #6 d-man. Big, strong, who could clear the crease. fast enough on his skates...

Weber could be as good or better than Diaz if you give him time.

Streit should had never been left available as a UFA.

Old
01-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Lshap

My Andre Markov conversations have less to do with how he'll play than how this entire drama has been handled by the organization. I've mentioned this elsewhere, I'll mention it again here: I can't stand Gauthier's secrecy fetish. His penchant for withholding information reads like a bad KGB novel. A player's injured? Shhhh... don't say anything in case other teams find out why and the terrorists win! Thinking of a trade? Shhhh... don't tell the other GMs in case they confuse things with a better offer! The fans clamoring for updates? Shhhh... don't say anything and hope they forget all about it!

This is not a strategy. It's a weakness. It does nothing to help the team, nor does it improve the PR. All it does is show continued contempt for us, the fans. Pîss us off long enough and we may still watch, but we'll stop buying tickets and merchandise. It's happened before, it will happen again.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:39 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
My Andre Markov conversations have less to do with how he'll play than how this entire drama has been handled by the organization. I've mentioned this elsewhere, I'll mention it again here: I can't stand Gauthier's secrecy fetish. His penchant for withholding information reads like a bad KGB novel. A player's injured? Shhhh... don't say anything in case other teams find out why and the terrorists win! Thinking of a trade? Shhhh... don't tell the other GMs in case they confuse things with a better offer! The fans clamoring for updates? Shhhh... don't say anything and hope they forget all about it!

This is not a strategy. It's a weakness. It does nothing to help the team, nor does it improve the PR. All it does is show continued contempt for us, the fans. Pîss us off long enough and we may still watch, but we'll stop buying tickets and merchandise. It's happened before, it will happen again.
he is a very sneaky person, but I don't blame him to stay silent about markov's recovery, or non -recovery. THEY DON'T KNOW !

What,s the point of giving a health report every second-day. ?

Old
01-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
What,s the point of giving a health report every second-day. ?
As opposed to every 200th day?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:08 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Im expecting a press conference following the all start break explaining the delay

If not, Im going to organize a protest... more details about this to come if and once we cross that bridge.
i am expecting that he is pushed back till trade deadline

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:16 PM
29dryden29

I do not foresee Markov back this season. If he does return I do not see him lasting very long before he goes down with yet another knee injury.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote