HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Will The Circus Scare Off UFAs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2012, 02:07 PM
  #76
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Yeah, and because of that, players will prefer to go elsewhere... everything else is irrelevant to them... even a chance at winning or making a lot more $...
Montreal provides neither of those things. If they want a winning environment they'll go to a team who wins, and if they want more money they'll go to a team located somewhere where 50% of their income doesn't get taken by the government.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:19 PM
  #77
expy
Registered User
 
expy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Les Canadiens de Montréal are NOT JUST a "hockey team"...

Can you understand that ?
So you don't care that the team limits itself in choosing the 'most fitting' people for any given position in the organization instead of the BEST?

If that's your position and you'd rather that only because of the language... Then I laugh at you.

expy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:21 PM
  #78
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expy View Post
So you don't care that the team limits itself in choosing the 'most fitting' people for any given position in the organization instead of the BEST?

If that's your position and you'd rather that only because of the language... Then I laugh at you.
Laugh as much as you want buddy. You don't understand **** all !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:00 PM
  #79
SAKS AVENUE
Registered User
 
SAKS AVENUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 566
vCash: 500
And both their coach's are bilingual .....

SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:05 PM
  #80
Plante
Registered User
 
Plante's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,661
vCash: 500
Naive to think players want to be here, fans and media in montreal perpetuate a constant atmosphere. If you're losing, you should be traded, if you're winning you're a god. Wouldn't be a bad attitude if there was no salary cap, but with such parity it creates unrealistic expectations and consistent disappointment.


My 2 ¢ anyway

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:09 PM
  #81
Plante
Registered User
 
Plante's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Laugh as much as you want buddy. You don't understand **** all !
Sorry for the double post, but this is a beautiful display of why players don't want to come here.

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:12 PM
  #82
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Montreal provides neither of those things. If they want a winning environment they'll go to a team who wins, and if they want more money they'll go to a team located somewhere where 50% of their income doesn't get taken by the government.
like Kaberle did with Carolina, or Wiz and Prospal in Columbus, or Connolly in TO, or Fleishmann - Kopecki in Florida... right ?


but yeah, players dont chose money... it's obvious their choices are based on who the coach is and what language he speak...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:14 PM
  #83
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
only in your mind.
No, from the mouth of general manager Pierre Gauthier. He said the coach WILL be bilingual, which means that the coach's linguistic skills are more important than his coaching skills.

No coach, no matter how good, will be considered unless he speaks French.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:18 PM
  #84
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I don't see your point !

What's wrong with having a BILINGUAL coach ?

It certainly didn't hurt the Bruins and Canucks, the two SC finalists last Spring.
Someone already pointed out what's wrong with this statement but it clearly hasn't sunk in so I'll try again.

There's NOTHING wrong with having a bilingual coach IF he also happens to be the best coach available or the best fit for the team. He could speak Japanese for all I care if he could figure out a way to make this team a winner.

By saying that he HAS to be bilingual, you're eliminated a TON of good coaches for a reason that has NOTHING to do with their ability to coach a hockey team.

I repeat. There's NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING wrong with having a bilingual coach IF he's the best coach for the team (for the team, NOT for the media.)

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:21 PM
  #85
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
No, from the mouth of general manager Pierre Gauthier. He said the coach WILL be bilingual, which means that the coach's linguistic skills are more important than his coaching skills.

No coach, no matter how good, will be considered unless he speaks French.
that's your conclusion, ridiculous conclusion of a guy who over a month later (and you're not the only one trust me) can't get over it...

while us, "the obsessed ones" got over it a few days later...



No worries though, I wont ask you to back up your claims as we both know it's all in your mind anyway.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:22 PM
  #86
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
Someone already pointed out what's wrong with this statement but it clearly hasn't sunk in so I'll try again.

There's NOTHING wrong with having a bilingual coach IF he also happens to be the best coach available or the best fit for the team. He could speak Japanese for all I care if he could figure out a way to make this team a winner.

By saying that he HAS to be bilingual, you're eliminated a TON of good coaches for a reason that has NOTHING to do with their ability to coach a hockey team.

I repeat. There's NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING wrong with having a bilingual coach IF he's the best coach for the team (for the team, NOT for the media.)
like who ?

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:30 PM
  #87
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
that's your conclusion, ridiculous conclusion of a guy who over a month later (and you're not the only one trust me) can't get over it...

while us, "the obsessed ones" got over it a few days later...

No worries though, I wont ask you to back up your claims as we both know it's all in your mind anyway.
lol, what are you even talking about anyway? Can't get over what? The fact that the GM of my favorite team has PUBLICLY STATED that language is his number one priority for the next coach?

Mike Babcock? Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold Medal, World Championship Gold Medal...buttttttt he doesn't speak French, so we can't hire him.

It's simple logic, and your inability to grasp it is truly and utterly mind boggling.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:32 PM
  #88
NewEraGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 665
vCash: 500
O for sure!!! Then the french media and french fans ask themselves why we suck. I hate the french fans/media who jump on every ********** bandwagon that comes along! ********** seperatists...

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:33 PM
  #89
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
like who ?
Randy Carlyle for one. Almost every coach in the AHL. I don't know enough about which coaches will be out of work come this summer so I can't say.

For all I know the best guy for the job this summer will be bilingual. But he statistics say he probably isn't, and therefore, won't be getting a job here.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:33 PM
  #90
idk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you'd be surprised. I for one know a ******** of french speaking (only) fans. And despite what a lot seems to think, these fans are not interested one bit in watching/hearing/reading about the Habs in english.
You once again seem to be misunderstanding me. I am well aware that there are reams of French only fans - but most of the media personell that follow them seem to be bilingual. It makes sense when you think about it. To be an effective reporter you have to be able to communicate with the players (who are by and large english speaking) and the fans (who are a smattering of languages but mostly english and french).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
well, your engineer wont have to give interviews pretty much everydays... so your example makes no sense.
Did you read my comment, or just react to what you thought I was going to say? It is possible that, in building a bridge, you might need a welder. To weld pieces of metal together and what not. And in that case you could save money by having a head engineer who is capable of doing that job himself. Of course you'd be hiring a pretty lousy engineer, because not many engineers hold welding certificates. In the same way while it might be useful, on occasion, for the head coach to speak french, he most certainly doesn't have to in order to carry out his primary duties - coaching the team. Other solutions are available for those "everyday" interviews - translators, required language training, making other personell available to hold those interviews. However there are few eligible coaches who are bilingual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Some do, a guy like Gainey did learn french... but it's VERY far from the norm...
I don't want a normal head coach. I want an exceptional one.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:35 PM
  #91
NewEraGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
Someone already pointed out what's wrong with this statement but it clearly hasn't sunk in so I'll try again.

There's NOTHING wrong with having a bilingual coach IF he also happens to be the best coach available or the best fit for the team. He could speak Japanese for all I care if he could figure out a way to make this team a winner.

By saying that he HAS to be bilingual, you're eliminated a TON of good coaches for a reason that has NOTHING to do with their ability to coach a hockey team.

I repeat. There's NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING wrong with having a bilingual coach IF he's the best coach for the team (for the team, NOT for the media.)
this x100000. This is exactly the attitude that everyone should have. Its not that we don't want a french coach/GM or wtv, its we don't want one if there is an English coach/GM who is better!!!!!!

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:44 PM
  #92
Beatnik
Registered User
 
Beatnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,637
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
If someone is intelligent enough to be clearly the best candiate, he should be able to learn french. Many did so. Just make sure he does....


Cunneyworth had over a year in the organisation to learn french and choose not to.... That is just stupid if your goal is to become head coach on the Montreal Canadiens.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:56 PM
  #93
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
lol, what are you even talking about anyway? Can't get over what? The fact that the GM of my favorite team has PUBLICLY STATED that language is his number one priority for the next coach?

Mike Babcock? Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold Medal, World Championship Gold Medal...buttttttt he doesn't speak French, so we can't hire him.

It's simple logic, and your inability to grasp it is truly and utterly mind boggling.
he never did. All he said is that ability to speak french is important and will be factored in.

He'll be available next summer ?



yeah it sure is logic to talk about Babcock while we all know he'll be the Wings HC next season... or to pretend it's a fact that language is NO1 priority while NO ONE ever said that.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:59 PM
  #94
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
You once again seem to be misunderstanding me. I am well aware that there are reams of French only fans - but most of the media personell that follow them seem to be bilingual. It makes sense when you think about it. To be an effective reporter you have to be able to communicate with the players (who are by and large english speaking) and the fans (who are a smattering of languages but mostly english and french).



Did you read my comment, or just react to what you thought I was going to say? It is possible that, in building a bridge, you might need a welder. To weld pieces of metal together and what not. And in that case you could save money by having a head engineer who is capable of doing that job himself. Of course you'd be hiring a pretty lousy engineer, because not many engineers hold welding certificates. In the same way while it might be useful, on occasion, for the head coach to speak french, he most certainly doesn't have to in order to carry out his primary duties - coaching the team. Other solutions are available for those "everyday" interviews - translators, required language training, making other personell available to hold those interviews. However there are few eligible coaches who are bilingual.



I don't want a normal head coach. I want an exceptional one.
and who's Connie translator...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 04:02 PM
  #95
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEraGM View Post
O for sure!!! Then the french media and french fans ask themselves why we suck. I hate the french fans/media who jump on every ********** bandwagon that comes along! ********** seperatists...
please, tell us how you really feel about the frenchies...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 04:05 PM
  #96
yianik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
I wish I hadnt have started this thread.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 04:07 PM
  #97
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
please, tell us how you really feel about the frenchies...
Well, he said it clearly, he hates us... he's racist, now move on...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 04:10 PM
  #98
idk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
and who's Connie translator...
He doesn't have one. Did you have a point with that question, or are you just being argumentative for the sake of it now?

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 04:20 PM
  #99
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
he never did. All he said is that ability to speak french is important and will be factored in.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=609444

"What will happen in the future, at the end of the season, is that we will re-evaluate the whole file," Gauthier said. "As (owner Geoff) Molson said in his communique a week ago, it's very important to us that our head coach be bilingual. So that will be part of our decision at that point."

By saying this, it's basically saying that language is the number one issue. If language wasn't the most important criteria, he would have said something to the effect of "the most important thing is winning, and we'll try our best to keep language in mind when making these decisions."

So yeah, he never said "NO. 1 PRIORITY IS LANGUAGE" outright, and since you can only seem to understand things that are written in the most direct and literal sense, I can see how it might create problems for you.

Quote:
He'll be available next summer ?

yeah it sure is logic to talk about Babcock while we all know he'll be the Wings HC next season... or to pretend it's a fact that language is NO1 priority while NO ONE ever said that.
.........

Of course Babcock isn't available. But if he was, the Habs would turn him down despite the fact that he's won almost everything there is to win as a coach. Why would they turn him down? Because he doesn't speak French (remember the quote I posted...)

Take a coach who's had similar success, just at lower levels (AHL, WJC, CHL etc.) will he even get a look if he doesn't speak French? Probably not.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 05:08 PM
  #100
NewEraGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Well, he said it clearly, he hates us... he's racist, now move on...
wowowo dont put words in my mouth!!! just cause i hate what a group of people are doing doesn't make me a racist! I speak french too and I am happy that I do. I live in MTL. I just hate how they can't let go of this obsession with using french as a criteria on the ideal-coach-checklist! Its one thing to be proud of it, its an entirely different thing to have it shoved down everyone else's throat...

It boggles my mind that some people still don't understand the concept. No one is against having a french coach if that coach is the best available. Not even 2 months we had a prime example. Jacques Martin, french speaking coach and he didn't get his players to play well this year. French, just as much as English media/fans were asking him to be fired. So clearly, french people want a winning team as do everyone, yet now they are protesting that they demand a french coach again. I don't get it, I reallllly don't....

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.