Here's a thought

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2006, 10:22 AM
rigger

vCash: 500
Here's a thought

Hey Guys,
Oilers fan here. It is not a secret that the oilers may be on the hunt for a goalie. So I am here just to hear what you guys think. I have a couple questions for you guys. First of all I realize a divisional trade this time of year is highly unlikely due to the chance for making the playoffs. It was mentioned in a previous thread that there are a few goalies out there to be dealt and maybe more in the off season but regardless a number one goalie is always in demand come trade deadline, unless you have too many of them. So tell me what you think.

1) What is the biggest need on your team?
2) What do you expect back from Manny?
3) Is there anyone on the oilers that you would have interest in (be reasonable)

Thanks for your responses. As I said it is unlikely to make a trade between the two teams but if it can make us both better then why not give it a try, right?

Old
01-04-2006, 10:52 AM
MePutPuckInNet

Roloson for Pronger.

Where do I sign?

Ok, I was dreaming for a sec...but how about something a little closer to possible...

Roloson and a 4th round pick for Steve Staios & Danny Syvret? [Hell, you can have TWO 4th round picks if you're gonna play hardball, we got lots]

Last edited by MePutPuckInNet: 01-04-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old
01-04-2006, 12:57 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

We have a lot of 4th rounders? That's...uh...okay...

Old
01-04-2006, 12:58 PM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet
Roloson for Pronger.

Where do I sign?

Ok, I was dreaming for a sec...but how about something a little closer to possible...

Roloson and a 4th round pick for Steve Staios & Danny Syvret? [Hell, you can have TWO 4th round picks if you're gonna play hardball, we got lots]

If Roloson was 30 I would do it. But we may only get a season or two out of Dwayne compared to a top 4 d man that is 4 years younger and a prospect that looks to be a top four d man for 15 years to come. If you would substitute Rolo for Manny it is a different story. I was thinking more along the lines of...

Manny + mid pick

for

Conklin or Markannen, Syvret + prospect or good pick (or Laraque or Harvey instead of pick.)

Old
01-04-2006, 03:10 PM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
We dont need a goalie.

Old
01-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
The price for Fernandez woulod be pretty high, at least a 1st rounder or a blue-chipper. The guy is just hitting his prime, and leads the league in GAA and Save %. Roloson could be had for less, and if you're just looking for someone for the playoff run, he'd be a good pick up.

Old
01-04-2006, 05:14 PM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
The price for Fernandez woulod be pretty high, at least a 1st rounder or a blue-chipper. The guy is just hitting his prime, and leads the league in GAA and Save %. Roloson could be had for less, and if you're just looking for someone for the playoff run, he'd be a good pick up.

Agreed. But how much can you expect in return if a team is just grabbing him for a playoff run? Not too much. I would offer a 1st round pick or MA Pouliot (two Pouliots together would be terrible for the other team matching lines, haha) for Manny.

Try this on:

To Edmonton:

Manny Fernandez

To Minnesota:

MA Pouliot
Cory Cross/Igor Ulanov

An up grade on your 5/6 d man pairing and a good young prospect. If you need a mid level pick to seal the deal I would do it. Thoughts.

Old
01-04-2006, 05:45 PM
The Big E

Rigger,

The problem with Cross or Ulanov is they're slow. We've got arguably the fastest team in the NHL and don't need a slow, low production D-Man, we've already got several ... some of whom are regularly healthy scratches. I think that, hypothetically speaking, Torres for Fernandez would be a good deal for us.

Manny is having a great year and I argue it's Torres break-out year. You've seen more of Torres than I ... can he play right wing? We're a little slim on that side. Furthermore, while he's got a great nose for the net, how's his foot speed?

Getting Manny will cost a lot ... would you be willing to deal Raffi?

The Big E

Old
01-04-2006, 08:51 PM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big E
Rigger,

The problem with Cross or Ulanov is they're slow.

Getting Manny will cost a lot ... would you be willing to deal Raffi?

The Big E

Yes, Cross is pretty slow but Ulanov is faster then some players (not too many) but he is not that bad. I still think they would add to your defense right now in the short term. Raffi I don't think is going anywhere. I agree that you have got to give to recieve but I don't think the oilers would part ways with Raffi seeing as that he has already scored 15 goals and is on his way to another stirling season, I guess the same can be said about Manny. But the oilers need a tender but not that badly, it is an obvious week spot but the team is still winning a lot of hockey games. I have a right winger by the name of Dvorak, he would not be the answer to your scoring woes but he adds leadership, scoring and is very good defensively. Also a good prospect. But if the oilers were to lose Torres they would lose to much, he and Stoll are big reasons for each others success and if they lose one the other may falter.

Old
01-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Chrisd

send us cogliano if you want a 30 year old goalie with the best save % in hockey

Old
01-05-2006, 09:27 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd
send us cogliano if you want a 30 year old goalie with the best save % in hockey
Now we're talking, that is interesting from an oiler stand point. Cogliano has the makings to be a very very good hockey player and Manny is currently a very very good hockey player. I wonder if the oilers would do this. If we could sign Fernandez to a long contract then I think there may be potential. But the unfortunate thing is that the WJC's have made a lot of people like him more and like Schremp less. Interesting though. We are strong on offensive prospects right now so this may be a viable option.

Old
01-05-2006, 01:09 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I'm biting my lip on this one...

Old
01-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Wild Bill

If we're anywhere near contention at the deadline, neither guy will get moved...especially to a division opponent...

We'd have to be 10+ games under .500 or 20+ points out of the playoffs IMO.

Old
01-05-2006, 02:48 PM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet E. Sax
If we're anywhere near contention at the deadline, neither guy will get moved...especially to a division opponent...

We'd have to be 10+ games under .500 or 20+ points out of the playoffs IMO.

This I agree with. It has to be a clear cut that they will not be facing each other or helping each other this year.

Closed Thread