HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks acquire Brendan Morrison

Old
01-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Cullksinikers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
John Maddenish signing.
Except he can do more.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:32 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Morrison has had an ACL knee injury. Not good at 36 but looks like a solid lockeroom guy. Fills a hole down the center if he can still skate. Cant be slower than Brunette.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...player.cgi?219

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/10278...-morrison.html

As far as Connelly goes, good for him to get a chance in Calgary. Looks like Lalonde moves up to the #1 call-up for pmd. Bowman also makes room at Rockford for Clendening, Johns, Holl et al. to move in.

I wish Bowman could have gotten more for Connelly but probably not much of a chance of that with an undersized and undrafted AHL prospect.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Cullksinikers

Morrison said his skating is back to where it usually has been.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Morrison could be capable of handling 2nd line center duty... it depends on his ability to stay healthy. He's always been a solid passer and decent finisher.

With no disrespect to Kruger, Morrison is better in that role as it is. Hopefully Q gives him a shot there during practice and in Vancouver, and we'll see how it goes.

Not quite the "veteran center" I think some of us were hoping for, but a pretty solid one nonetheless.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Except he can do more.
Yep. Much more offensively aware than Madden.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Illinihockey

Proud of everyone for not falling into the trap of saying the guy you just traded sucks. Calgary fans doing it glad Hawks fans aren't doing the same. Good luck to Connely

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Proud of everyone for not falling into the trap of saying the guy you just traded sucks. Calgary fans doing it glad Hawks fans aren't doing the same. Good luck to Connely
Aye. As good as Connelly was, it was clear he wasn't going to be playing in the NHL for the Hawks, so it's good that we were able to get something for him, and that he has found a place where hopefully his career can blossom. Good for him!

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:11 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Last time the Hawks sent an undrafted AHL allstar prospect to Calgary, he turned out to be the Flames top LW'r... Rene Borque.

They should be excited in the potential of Connelly.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Last time the Hawks sent an undrafted AHL allstar prospect to Calgary, he turned out to be the Flames top LW'r... Rene Borque.

They should be excited in the potential of Connelly.
Bourque had already played plenty of hockey for the Hawks at that point, though.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:56 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

What, exactly, were people expecting for Connelly? He's a borderline career AHLer at this point. He's 25 and every year, someone else was passing him on the depth chart. Last year, for sure, we know Leddy and Vishnevskiy were ahead of him (at the begining of camp, at least) and this year Olsen's past him. That doesn't exactly scream trade value, despite the points he's put up.

Connelly will likely get a couple shots with Calgary, if he can't stick, he'll be in the AHL for the rest of his career. We didn't just give up a 21-year-old PpG Dman in the AHL who was drafted in the 2nd round.. we gave up a college free-agent who was going to get pushed even further down the depth chart once Dahlbeck/Johns/Clendening/Holl make the jump to the AHL, either next year or the year after.

You're not going to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a guy like Connelly. You're going to get another young-ish AHL player, a Luca Caputi or, in this case, an aging UFA who wasn't going to be re-signed on the team he was on.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Hawkaholic

I like it. Gritty C that can play top 6 if needed.

...and we gave up very little, and no draft pick.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:11 PM
LandofLincoln

I wouldn't mind getting Ruutu in Gleason in one deal.

I don't like Ruutu on the Hawks at all, but getting Gleason would be nice. If we got Ruutu I think it would be good because it means nobody else in the Western Conference gets Ruutu. One hour before the trade deadline I would want the Hawks to trade Ruutu to an Eastern Conference team. Getting Ruutu to block other teams from getting Ruutu. It may help to get Gleason and both in one deal.

Then before trade deadline cut a deal to Toronto where we send them Beach and Ruutu. Burke will be struggling to get into the playoffs, and Toronto has defense Gunnarsson?

Can you imagine us with Gunnarsson and Gleason. Then we wouldn't need a top 6 forward.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:32 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

But we'd have no place for Montador, who was just signed to a 4-year deal this summer..

I don't think Montador is long for Chicago, his deal seems to be structure in a way where when prospects are ready, he'll be traded.. but I'm not expecting him to be moved this year and he's not going to be getting paid the amount of money he's still owed this year to be a 7th Dman.

Chicago, I think, will get a top-4 Dman before the trade deadline and I expect a Dman (Lepisto) to go the other way.. but I seriously doubt Chicago trades for two top-4 Dmen.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:03 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
I love when I see posters usung my favorite agrument, using an exception to disprove a norm.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:54 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
John Maddenish signing.
a little bit as far as a veteran. but not really in terms of role goes. Madden knew he was a 4th line center. Morrison still believes he deserves time in the top 6. If Morrison clicks with Sharp and Hossa Bolland can have his 3rd line.

I do think this move hints Bolland will be the 2nd line center come playoffs. Unless Bowman sells the farm, but Bowman selling the farm would be for a defensemen.

Regarless of the playoff matchup and the 2 line center position can be different depending on the opponent. Morrison can play 2nd line center against the Canucks, and Bolland 3rd line against Vancouver. All other opponents I think Bolland plays 2nd line center. Plus Kruger could always play 1 game a series in the playoffs as a 3rd line center. Depth is getting playoffish.

I'm not sayin Stan Bowman is done with the offense. This trade just allows him to focus on getting the defenseman he wants. HE WANTS. We will get a defenseman keeper this time. No Campoli rental stuff.

There may be enough left over to add another forward, but it will be a trade where it will be after many top guys are off the trading block and already gone. If we get another forward it will be a team wanting to part ways and get something or get nothing in free agency. I see us picking up another rental on the offensive side, and not mortgaging a lot to get it. Like a 2nd rounder just like last year with Campoli. Only this year offense.

Old
01-28-2012, 03:04 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
But we'd have no place for Montador, who was just signed to a 4-year deal this summer..

I don't think Montador is long for Chicago, his deal seems to be structure in a way where when prospects are ready, he'll be traded.. but I'm not expecting him to be moved this year and he's not going to be getting paid the amount of money he's still owed this year to be a 7th Dman.

Chicago, I think, will get a top-4 Dman before the trade deadline and I expect a Dman (Lepisto) to go the other way.. but I seriously doubt Chicago trades for two top-4 Dmen.
Right. I agree about the Montador contract. It is set up to trade him. Yet trading him this year would be premature. I think Montador's contract is a good setup, and I think Montador being traded at next years trade deadline is more likely.

Old
01-28-2012, 03:46 PM
moose vasko

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post

I'm not sayin Stan Bowman is done with the offense. This trade just allows him to focus on getting the defenseman he wants. HE WANTS. We will get a defenseman keeper this time. No Campoli rental stuff.
JJ wrote that Stanbo has been told not to take on any more salary long-term (I guess this opens the door for the expected anti-JJ backlash, but whatever). I don't know if it is true (nor does anyone else on this board), but if it is it shortens the list of possibilities to UFA's and the bargain barrel.

moose vasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 04:07 PM
BiBoFro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose vasko View Post
JJ wrote that Stanbo has been told not to take on any more salary long-term (I guess this opens the door for the expected anti-JJ backlash, but whatever). I don't know if it is true (nor does anyone else on this board), but if it is it shortens the list of possibilities to UFA's and the bargain barrel.
Of course he doesn't want to take on anymore salary. If we exclude the cap and count REAL dollars, he's well over paying 15+million dollars over the cap.

BiBoFro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose vasko View Post
Going to guess the guy who steals trade ideas from HF forums has no idea about the goings on in the Hawks front office

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
...wut?

Brunette: 9g 10a (4ppg)
Bickell: 4g 5a

I'll admit I was expecting more from Brunette, but stats ale show that Brunette has twice the production of Bickell. Aside from that, who would you rather have fighting for the pick along the boards behind the opponent's goal?
+ Brunette goes to front of net and a few of his screens have led to goals, particularly late in games.

Gootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 05:47 PM
yoss

He was one of my favourite players in Van, played on the Naslund/Bertuzzi line when it was among top producing lines in the league. Has a ton of class and underrated offensively imo. One of the worst moves by Gillis in recent memory to let him go in my opinion. Hawks may be pleasantly surprised.

yoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Tyler Durden

Anyone know what number Morrison is going to be wearing?

Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 05:54 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoss View Post
One of the worst moves by Gillis in recent memory to let him go in my opinion.
Why? They aren't a cup contender and he's probably not coming back. May as well get something.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 06:04 PM
yoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Why? They aren't a cup contender and he's probably not coming back. May as well get something.
? I'm talking about Mike Gillis GM of the Canucks not keeping him last year when they had the chance.

As i said, one of my favourite (now former) Canucks. Class act. Put on a line with other capable scorers i think also makes him more effective offensively. Obviously i have no clue what line he would be on with you guys. One of the rare guys i cheer for on other teams just because im a fan of him. That unfortunately is not an option for me anymore..

yoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Gillis is Vancouver's GM, not Calgary's.