HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Black still preaching patience

Old
01-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres57 View Post
you got some lol's out of me with that gif. Nice!

Let's see...Orr's worst season was 2 goals, Gretzky's was 9, and Lemieux's was 1. All due to injuries. Those 11 goals are still twice as many as Leino figures to finish with all season. So basically, you could place Orr's severed knee cap into a hockey skate, Lemieux's detached hip band into the other skate, and tie them together with Gretzky's laces and get more production then 90% of the roster.

Last edited by Play4Miracles*: 01-28-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:02 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I'm so glad everyone has decided Pegula and Black don't have a clue after 12 months. Maybe he should just sell the team back to BTG and we can do things the old way again. Because THAT worked...right?

You people are out of control.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:10 PM
indigoo

If he has nothing new/constructive/interesting to say then he needs to stop going on record saying the same ******** PR talk, that's all I'm trying to point out.

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:13 PM
McTank

He may have said some dumb stuff but we don't know what's gonna happen at the deadline and draft so don't crucify him till than. If he were to come out and say we are looking to make big trades that would be dumb

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:26 PM
captaincrunch89

Holy overreaction Batman!!!!! Honestly folks, put yourselves in his situation. What else should he say? If he says that this season is done and talks about the players deficiencies what does that do? It shows that the organization has no loyalty to its players and who would want to play for a team that does that?

I get that this is frustrating for everyone but be patient, do you all really believe that this team would be better off with BTG and LQ in charge? Of course this team has been atrocious this year. We all see it, but for upper management to point it out to everyone is pointless and can only make things worse.

They can obviously see it too, it's not like they have no clue about hockey. The guys in upper management have some experience with this.

captaincrunch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I'm so glad everyone has decided Pegula and Black don't have a clue after 12 months. Maybe he should just sell the team back to BTG and we can do things the old way again. Because THAT worked...right?

I'm not even close to giving up on ownership. Hell, I still want regier to stay. That doesn't change the fact that Black said some pretty dumb things.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunch89 View Post
What else should he say?
I know what he shouldn't say: that monumentally stupid, credibility-damaging line about Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr and Howe. The rest of Black's statements come off as typical management speak, so whatever.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:05 AM
captaincrunch89

Quote:
I know what he shouldn't say: that monumentally stupid, credibility-damaging line about Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr and Howe. The rest of Black's statements come off as typical management speak, so whatever.
Because no one else in the history of the world ever said anything stupid or credibility threatening.

The standard this guy is being held to is mind blowing to me.

Old
01-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Takeo

It took less than a year for you guys to go from parading "hockey heaven" and all your new monopoly money across the main board to now running these guys out of town?! Amazing. So when was the overreaction? In March or now?

Or both.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:22 AM
captaincrunch89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
It took less than a year for you guys to go from parading "hockey heaven" and all your new monopoly money across the main board to now running these guys out of town?! Amazing. So when was the overreaction? In March or now?

Or both.
I honestly don't know if you are a Sabres fan or not. Every time you post it makes me wonder this. In response to your statement, do you really blame fans who suffered through horrible, cheap ownership for being excited when new ownership pledges to spend as much as it take to win?

Old
01-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunch89 View Post
The standard this guy is being held to is mind blowing to me.
Make an idiotic comment, get called out for it. That's the way it works. Doesn't mean I dislike Black. He's a smart, down-to-earth guy and I'm glad he's here.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Whatever, it probably just means they're not making any moves until the offseason. People are overreacting.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:25 AM
captaincrunch89

Quote:
Make an idiotic comment, get called out for it. That's the way it works. Doesn't mean I dislike Black. He's a smart, down-to-earth guy and I'm glad he's here.
I guess what I'm saying is that through one statement, tons of people have seemingly lost all respect for the guy. He has admitted himself that he is not a hockey guy, so I personally am not surprised that he made this mistake. Anyone who thinks we would be better off without him is nuts so I'm glad you clarified.

Old
01-29-2012, 01:22 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Why say anything?

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:34 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post

I couldn't agree more. So glad I have a couple on my ignore list. So short sighted. So knee-jerk. Lame.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:40 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Patience is the buzzword surrounding the Buffalo Sabres organization. Team president Ted Black spoke to the media following the NHL's Board of Governors meeting on Saturday and he once again affirmed his belief in the team's head coach and general manager, as well as the players on the roster.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:27 AM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
As much as I love Pegula, don't just **** on BTG. His franchise made the playoffs 4/6 years after the lockout. It's not like they were the Islanders for Christ's sake. Or even the Preds.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 05:34 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Ted needs to say less. A lot less.

That "seeds of greatness" quote is just ********, same for the asinine Gretzky comment.

Does he think it's just a bad coincidence that all these guys are having career-low years at the same time? Really? Just bad luck/timing?

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark, Ted. When almost your entire team is having the worst season of their career, you may want to start looking higher up the food chain, instead of continuing with the blind loyalty.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 05:49 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Why say anything?
Because he talks with WGR every Friday morning and he can't just say "no comment" to the same old questions every time.

Remember a few weeks ago when he said the "right things" (short of announcing Lindy & Darcy are fired)? Do people expect him to keep saying that every week instead?

Part of their Pegula & Black's responsibility is to show confidence and loyalty (not blind loyalty of course) to their employees.

That doesn't mean they are ho-hum happy behind the scenes about the results and aren't going to take action though.

The meaning of "patience" here is too hard to fully understand without letting things play out. It could mean patience with the current group or patience with their 3-year goal.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 06:45 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
As much as I love Pegula, don't just **** on BTG. His franchise made the playoffs 4/6 years after the lockout. It's not like they were the Islanders for Christ's sake. Or even the Preds.
That doesn't matter to me at all. 7/1/07 happened on BTG's watch. They'd have a cup by now if things were done differently.

As for these comments from Black, whatever. They're going to make the necessary roster changes at the trade deadline and probably have a mini-overhaul come the summer. Sounded to me like they've accepted where they are in the standings.

But that's not "hockey heaven," so let's all freak out.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 06:57 AM
Clock

Meh. I still believe meaningful changes are coming. These guys aren't idiots. We won't have to wait for too long to actually see if this is the case or not.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:44 AM
barcs

Love what Pegula and Black are doing for the franchise. They just make fools of themselves every time they talk. More working, less talking.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:07 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
Love what Pegula and Black are doing for the franchise. They just make fools of themselves every time they talk. More working, less talking.
What have they done? Man, this is the most good PR anyone ever got out of crocodile tears and a fireplace!

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:09 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Meh. I still believe meaningful changes are coming. These guys aren't idiots. We won't have to wait for too long to actually see if this is the case or not.
Already had meaningful "change." Sometimes change is for the worse. Who's the architect of the change? That's the key. As long as it's Terry, a recovering lawyer, three accountants and their eunuch, we're in trouble.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote