HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

The Cricket Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2012, 06:10 PM
  #51
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,071
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by senators101 View Post
Dhoni IS the dead weight. POS..
In tests maybe. But do India even have a better option for test keeper anyway?

He's far from "dead weight" overall.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:46 AM
  #52
senators101
Registered User
 
senators101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
In tests maybe. But do India even have a better option for test keeper anyway?

He's far from "dead weight" overall.
Dude, he's the captain of a team that caught fire at the right time and under some brilliant coaching. He is, at times, a good leader, but his decisions are often looked at pretty stupidly.


He also has turned into one hell of a terrible batsman, which was his trade when he came to the team. He's not the guy that will save a match if you need it. What he will do, however, is get runs if the team is either already definitely going to win, or sometimes when they are definitely going to lose. On very rare occasion will he be a matchsaver, which at his spot at 6/7, unfortunately is something he does need to do from time to time. People praise the crap out of him for the World Cup, and he did play a fantastic knock in the finals, but every game before that and almost every game since, he's been useless, regardless of the format. Even his wicket-keeping is deteriorating. They need to drop him from the test team, replace him with someone can who can WK reasonably and can bat.

After this series, there will be a changing of the guard, and he needs to be one of the guys that are gone from the test squad, at least in the near future. Kohli will be just as good a captain as Dhoni was.

As for a replacement WK, there isn't much to choose from, but Parthiv Patel is an option, as well as giving Saha sometime to play.

senators101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:38 AM
  #53
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,071
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by senators101 View Post
Dude, he's the captain of a team that caught fire at the right time and under some brilliant coaching.
Sorry but I pretty much tuned out after reading that.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:29 AM
  #54
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500
pakistan completely stole that one

well done

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 09:17 PM
  #55
senators101
Registered User
 
senators101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Sorry but I pretty much tuned out after reading that.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm from India and follow their matches quite closely. I used to love him when he started his career as a powerhouse batsman, but he's gone downhill since those times. I would like for him to focus on ODI's and have a different wicket keeper and captain for tests. He has too much responsibility and with how the BCCI schedules matches for us (way more than any other nation plays) he needs his time off.

senators101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:21 AM
  #56
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,071
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by senators101 View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm from India and follow their matches quite closely. I used to love him when he started his career as a powerhouse batsman, but he's gone downhill since those times. I would like for him to focus on ODI's and have a different wicket keeper and captain for tests. He has too much responsibility and with how the BCCI schedules matches for us (way more than any other nation plays) he needs his time off.
There is definitely an argument for him to focus on just ODI's and leave the tests to someone else, which is why I said "in tests maybe" but couldn't agree with the suggestion that he is "dead weight" overall.

Unfortunately being the captain of India is "too much responsibility" for most mere human lol. Don't take that as insulting or anything, but it would be like being the captain of the Canadiens multiplied by like 1000000. Doesn't get much more high pressure than being captain of the Indian Cricket team

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:24 PM
  #57
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500
What's up with BCCI?

So they first terminate a team they just added last year, and now Sahara pulls out because of several conflicts. Back to 9 team IPL.

What's going on?

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:31 PM
  #58
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500
god damn

dhoni is clutch

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:49 PM
  #59
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500
ponting and tendulker should have just retired from international cricket last year

doesn't look good when players like them have to be left of the team IMO

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:13 PM
  #60
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,071
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Uhh, Ponting's last 6 test innings

221
60 not out
7
134
62
60

so no, he probably shouldn't have retired from international cricket last year.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:35 PM
  #61
CycloneLaunch
...
 
CycloneLaunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 9,892
vCash: 500
Big thank you to the Indian bowling attack for letting Ponting get back into form.

CycloneLaunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:23 PM
  #62
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Uhh, Ponting's last 6 test innings

221
60 not out
7
134
62
60

so no, he probably shouldn't have retired from international cricket last year.
He should have retired last year. If he did, he would have left on his own terms, and people would have remembered him playing excellent cricket right up to his retirement.

He'll end up getting kicked off the test team as well within a year.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:11 PM
  #63
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,071
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
He should have retired last year. If he did, he would have left on his own terms, and people would have remembered him playing excellent cricket right up to his retirement.

He'll end up getting kicked off the test team as well within a year.
The guy is more than entitled to retire whenever he wants, not when some random bloke on the internet says he should anyone who will remember him as anything less than a world class batsman is an idiot or can't have watched him very long, and I say that despite Ponting being my most hated athlete across any sport.

Not if he continues to perform at such a high level he won't.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:37 AM
  #64
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
The guy is more than entitled to retire whenever he wants, not when some random bloke on the internet says he should anyone who will remember him as anything less than a world class batsman is an idiot or can't have watched him very long, and I say that despite Ponting being my most hated athlete across any sport.

Not if he continues to perform at such a high level he won't.
Is anyone saying otherwise? Of course he is entitled to do it whenever he wants.

I'm not saying people will only remember him for his final years. However, they will remember how his career ended. For a player as good as Ponting/Tendulkar, it doesn't suit to finally get kicked off the team. They will both leave behind a legacy, but you tell me what you rather want:

1. you got kicked off the team at the end
2. you left on your own terms, while performing at a high level

I'm inclined to believe you would choose 2. Especially when your team is going with a youth movement.

That's why you see quite a few players retire after they win a championship towards the end of their career. They want to leave on their own terms, and leave with a big bang.

For players as great as these guys, it doesn't fit to get knocked off the team in the end.

That's one of the reasons why I feel Sachin should have retired after the WC. That would be leaving at ultimate high.

This is just my opinion obviously, so you don't have to agree with it.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:18 PM
  #65
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,071
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
It doesn't matter what I would want, its his career. If he backed himself to still perform, then why wouldn't he continue to try to play. You say he should have retired from international cricket last year, and then you look at his recent test stats and he's still performing at an elite level. If he can do that, then why shouldn't he continue to play if he wants to?

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:00 AM
  #66
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500
Year Team Matches Average
2009-10 (v NZ) 2 23.00
2010 (v Pak) 2 24.50
2010-11 (v Ind) 2 56.00
2010-11 (v Eng) 4 16.14
2011 (v SL) 2 31.00
2011-12 (v SAf) 2 17.50
2011-12 (v NZ) 2 33.00
2011-12 (v Ind) 4 108.80

Those are his test cricket numbers over the past 2 years.

Do those look like elite numbers to you? Do those even look like good numbers for an Australian batsman?

Just using stats from one series against a weak ass Indian bowling attack isn't enough to show he's still performing at an elite level in test cricket.

That averages out to 27.16 runs per innings over the last 2 years, if you exclude the India series.

Ponting has not been performing at a high level for a couple years now.


Last edited by Chandrashekhar Limit: 02-26-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:24 AM
  #67
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,071
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Why would you look at performances from him 2 years ago at this point? what matters is how he is performing now, and he's performing well enough now to continue to play. Heaven forbid someone go through a rough patch, that's never happened before right? based on his recent form, he's' going well enough to continue to play, which again is his decision, not some random bloke on the internet to decide he "should" retire

Why would you exclude the India series? because it suits your argument lol? are we meant to pretend that just didn't happen because it helps what you're saying?

Has not been performing at a high level for a couple of years now lol? yep, if we ignore that he performed at a high level in the most recent test series he played. I for one don't just throw reality out of the window though heh.


Last edited by Morozov: 02-26-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:03 PM
  #68
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,071
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
and just to cap this off for you, Ponting is a finalist for the AB Medal this year and had the second most runs of any Australian batsman in that last 12 month span.

But yeah, he should have retired 2 years ago

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:41 PM
  #69
senators101
Registered User
 
senators101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,439
vCash: 500
And Kohli steps up again! Dude's a beast! I've been following him since he was captaining the youth side and he had always oozed talent, just had some character issues. It seems to be all sorted out and I can't wait for him to take over as a leader of this team.

senators101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:22 PM
  #70
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Why would you look at performances from him 2 years ago at this point? what matters is how he is performing now, and he's performing well enough now to continue to play. Heaven forbid someone go through a rough patch, that's never happened before right? based on his recent form, he's' going well enough to continue to play, which again is his decision, not some random bloke on the internet to decide he "should" retire

Why would you exclude the India series? because it suits your argument lol? are we meant to pretend that just didn't happen because it helps what you're saying?

Has not been performing at a high level for a couple of years now lol? yep, if we ignore that he performed at a high level in the most recent test series he played. I for one don't just throw reality out of the window though heh.


Umm, I excluded the India series because it's an outlier. 108 average over a span of 4 games, when the average is 28 for the other 22 doesn't hold much of a significance.

I could go back further, but no point in wasting time.

Do you understand anything about what it means to be in form? In form doesn't mean you score 100 ****ing runs in one series, and then score 100 in the other 5 combined.

The guy has not played good consistent cricket for a long ass time, and the only good cricket he played is against one of the weakest bowling attacks in test cricket.

If you don't see how that's not upto par, I really have nothing else to say.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:41 PM
  #71
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,071
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
lol you can't just ignore things that actually happened because it suits you if anything, judged over his entire career, his poor patch of form is the outlier.

Again, AB Medal finalist, if you actually know what that is, second most runs of any Australian Batsman over that time frame, but yeah, he should have retired instead of putting up more runs than any other player in his country bar one over the past year and playing the game that he clearly enjoys still, he "should" have retired, according to you, some nobody on the internet lol.

OK champ.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:48 PM
  #72
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
lol you can't just ignore things that actually happened because it suits you if anything, judged over his entire career, his poor patch of form is the outlier.

Again, AB Medal finalist, if you actually know what that is, second most runs of any Australian Batsman over that time frame, but yeah, he should have retired instead of putting up more runs than any other player in his country bar one over the past year and playing the game that he clearly enjoys still, he "should" have retired, according to you, some nobody on the internet lol.

OK champ.
not doing it because it suits me, its because that series is a statistical abnormality

if he had a couple more with 50 avg, i'd include it. one series with 108 runs, when the rest is hovering around 27 doesn't seem very logical to me

with that series, it comes to about 40. now with a 40 avg, it tells you he has been playing well recently, but that's not the case. it was a lot of below par cricket with one good series

yea, the australian board should have kept him in the odi team because he's winning the medal

that's definitely more important than bringing in a young guy, and giving him some chance to play before the next wc

the bolded part is really getting old. did i say anywhere that "he has to retire"?

its my opinion, and i have a right to say what i feel is right

showing respect towards someone you disagree with doesn't hurt you

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 04:52 AM
  #73
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,071
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
It's cool mate, you keep cherry picking what parts of reality you want to take into consideration to suit your argument lol.

Where did I say they should have kept him in the team for being an AB medal finalist? he wasn't "winning the medal" he didn't win, try to keep up and actually know what you are talking about. What I'm suggesting is it's stupid to say he should have retired a couple of years ago when he was a finalist for best player in his country over the last 12 months.

Lol so again he "should" have retired a couple of years ago, even though over the last year he scored more runs than any other batsman in Australia but one no kidding it's your opinion, I'm pretty sure most of us on here are just posting our own opinions, my opinion is that given the above, the suggestion that he should have retired a couple of years ago is silly, in fact I think the idea of suggesting anyone "should" retire at all is silly, that's not anybodies place to have any comment on except the player himself.


Last edited by Morozov: 03-04-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:06 AM
  #74
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500


This team is ****ing pathetic. How the hell do you mange to screw that up???

ugh

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:35 AM
  #75
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500
wow blatant lbw missed against kohli

watch him pile on 100 now


Last edited by Chandrashekhar Limit: 03-16-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.