HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Boycott Francois Gagnon/Jack Todd/the media (ALL MEDIA COMPLAINTS HERE)

Old
01-28-2012, 06:40 PM
panayiotis

vCash: 500
dont like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charkey View Post
I know its hard to boycott the media circus leader, but what im doing is turning the channel that he appears on, hopefully if we are enough doing this, they will notice their ratings going down when these bozo's come on.
dont watch.....read or listen.....

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer4 View Post
I'm not talking about competitiveness in terms of goals scored, but also in terms of style of playing.

It's not only if we win or not, but also how we win or lose.

Actually, the Habs are exactly what hockey should not become: soft as puppy sh**, not playing as a team, no toughness, diving to try to draw a call, embellish slashing calls on them, instead of playing like it must be played.
The Habs should never, NEVER use a team like Boston as their model for toughness. Boston won a single Cup in 40 years, and managed that by the skin of their teeth. They won fair and square, but they did not dominate. They also won because of their defensive game -- goaltending and defense. Without Thomas in nets and Chara on D there is no way they come anywhere close to a Cup. Their offensive strength relied on depth, with four lines of solid forwards. Their biggest offensive threats last year? Puny Marchand, smallish Recchi and speedy Seguin.

This whole 'toughness' thing is more a marketing gimmick than reality. Watch their games - they don't check any more than half the teams in the league do. Their fans love the "Big Bad Bruins" tag because it makes them feel tough. But that's not why they win games. Yes, they hack and punch. Yes, they like to fight. But how has that actually affected their game? They've had three suspensions in the past two months, and they're being penalized more for stupid, brainless actions. Their toughness label is starting to backfire. And, most important, this supposedly toughest team in the league has managed a grand total of 9 goals in five games against the Habs. Nine goals in five games - does that sound like we were intimidated?

If they're so big and tough and we're so weak and soft, why can't they ever outscore us by more than one goal? Answer: Thomas. Secondary answer: Chara's defense. Wrong answer: Toughness.

Wanna' become more like them? If you mean scoring depth, absolutely!! If you mean a shutdown defenseman, yes! If you mean a budding star like Tyler Seguin, sure! If you mean bigger players, I agree with that too. But if you mean tough, then get me more guys like Cole, Pacioretty and Bourque, NOT undisciplined punks like Lucic or weasels like Marchand.

Anyone who wants to ape last year's winning team may have to reshuffle the deck pretty fast when the next team wins, and the team after that. Boston doesn't have a special formula. They're not the Red Wings of the last 15 years; they're just the team-de-jour until Thomas or Chara cracks.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
They were lucky to win the 7th game against the habs last season, and are still lucky to have NO injuries to their key players like the habs have endured all along the season.
Marc Savard.

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:07 PM
deandebean

Ok, what happened? Why the witchhunt for Gagnon suddenly? Did I miss another chapter of the Media vs Us saga?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:10 PM
deandebean

You guys don't want to hear him, don't listen. He comes in on radio, change stations. He's on L'Antichambre? Don't watch.

Some of you guys are obsessed by the media. Why? You guys are jealous of their jobs? Probably. Because I just can't figure out why you would be so pissed at reporters.

You don't like the guy? Fine. That's your right in a democracy. But to call for anything more is about as mature as a 10 year old kid. He's entitled to his opinion (because Gagnon is more of a columnist than a reporter anyways). So are you. Case closed.

This forum has become obsessed by the media, it's beyond funny. What's even funnier is that this forum IS a media. So maybe we should all boycott the mediaS and start reading paper books again. And go back to the oil lamps. And ride horse carriages. And dress up like Menonites.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:34 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
And that's why you never belonged in a habs sweater, Pouliot. It wasn't exactly Richard's "obligation" either to drop the gloves.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Ginu

He's an idiot. I'm surprised / disappointed TSN 990 even gives him air time. He should wither and retire on RDS.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:11 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Ok, what happened? Why the witchhunt for Gagnon suddenly? Did I miss another chapter of the Media vs Us saga?
I never understood why fans care. I'm completely indifferent and unphased about the opinions of a hockey commentator, analyst or reporter.

Even Jack Todd and his rants, or Tony Marinaro, and his pretentious ''know it all'' persona....

I just don't give a crap, and I'm not sure why some people do...

Hockey is a religion, but it's also entertainment... and these (mostly) men are just part of the entertainment business.

If people cared that much concern about politics or in helping people we might be living in a better world.

coolasprICE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:28 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I'd say you're frightened of your own shadow. Name one GM or potential UFA on another team who follows him on TV, much less pays attention to him.
his biggest influence is on the fans who listen to him and lap up his drivel. It's been said that we overestimate the effect us fans have on the team. I disagree. I'd like to think we have as many awesome fans, if not more than any other team. We also have fans beyond that number who are total idiots, you might as well throw them in with Tim Thomas and his fanatical views. They would probably like to have lunch with the reporter equivalent of Glenn Beck and they're a huge smear on the fanbase. They'd rather boo, they're rather hate, they are negative and they like it. This is different than being dissatisfied with the team. I understand that even though I share a different view. It's ok to want the team to be better, but there are those who just love to hate and Gagnon fuels their fires.

Even if it doesn't affect the team, the environment around the team, the atmosphere of the Bell Centre, public dissent for the team (all of which I think it does), it makes being a fan of the team suck. And where do I get the idea that I am a true fan? I just do, by definition. So, at the very least, they bother me, so...screw gagnon.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:35 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
You guys don't want to hear him, don't listen. He comes in on radio, change stations. He's on L'Antichambre? Don't watch.

Some of you guys are obsessed by the media. Why? You guys are jealous of their jobs? Probably. Because I just can't figure out why you would be so pissed at reporters.

You don't like the guy? Fine. That's your right in a democracy. But to call for anything more is about as mature as a 10 year old kid. He's entitled to his opinion (because Gagnon is more of a columnist than a reporter anyways). So are you. Case closed.

This forum has become obsessed by the media, it's beyond funny. What's even funnier is that this forum IS a media. So maybe we should all boycott the mediaS and start reading paper books again. And go back to the oil lamps. And ride horse carriages. And dress up like Menonites.
As an analogy, tell democrats that they are too obsessed with what a destructive element of their society Fox is.

He's entitled to his opinion, as in free speach, but it has ramifications. It's good if you're impartial to hearing tirades about PK and how Price sucks and how useless AK is and how shiite the Habs are non-stop, but if that stuff gets to you, then there's a reason to get annoyed at these media types. The difference between my opinion and his is that I'm very sure there are a handful of people reading this post and quite the opposite for that yellow-toothed weasel. Case open.

Btw, I'm not arguing to boycott him, not really sure that would work in any way, just saying I'd LOVE for him to be passing me by on the street so that I might accidentally stick my leg out on those icy Montreal streets. Same with Cherry, same with Edwards, Milbury, etc. I'm weak, I just don't like the irrational diatribes against the team I live and die by.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
As an analogy, tell democrats that they are too obsessed with what a destructive element of their society Fox is.
Except that what Fox does can be a lot more dangerous than what any Sport journalist could ever hope to do. I don't want to get into a political debate, but influencing one's opinion of politics, environment, etc. based on no facts, parading as news when it's really opinion is a million time more wrong and dangerous than Gagnon interviewing Cammalleri and quoting him with a little spin in La Presse the next morning. Comparing the two is beyond ridiculous. (edit: although to be fair, they are comparable in terms of style and how low they are ready to step to get attention--at least in my opinion)

Which brings me to my next point: aren't there much more important things in life to get upset about than millionaire athletes being misquoted by journalist with ill intentions?

Have we all become so obsessed with this team's lack of success that we're ready to dig that far to find a culprit?

You have a right to not like Gagnon and not "consume" the product he sells if you don't like it. But to call for a boycott?

The players are public personalities. What they live is no worse and no better than a lot of stars live through. It comes with the fame. It comes with the glory. It comes with the pay.

Last edited by Gabe84: 01-28-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Gabe84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Andy

Has anyone ever noticed that Gagnon says two different things depending on what language media he's reporting to and that his claims between the two are often contradictory?

He's much more sensationalist when he's on rds, writing his articles in french. But then when he makes English radio or TV appearences, he says the exact opposite and is more tame. What a rat.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Except that what Fox does can be a lot more dangerous than what any Sport journalist could ever hope to do. I don't want to get into a political debate, but influencing one's opinion of politics, environment, etc. based on no facts, parading as news when it's really opinion is a million time more wrong and dangerous than Gagnon interviewing Cammalleri and quoting him with a little spin in La Presse the next morning. Comparing the two is beyond ridiculous.

Which brings me to my next point: aren't there much more important things in life to get upset about than millionaire athletes being misquoted by journalist with ill intentions?

Have we all become so obsessed with this team's lack of success that we're ready to dig that far to find a culprit?

You have a right to not like Gagnon and not "consume" the product he sells if you don't like it. But to call for a boycott?

The players are public personalities. What they live is no worse and no better than a lot of stars live through. It comes with the fame. It comes with the glory. It comes with the pay.
Meh for me it's more that I'm pissed off that guys like this even have jobs and followings while we have guys here on HF who are 1000000000x more informative like Whitesnake for example. It's just a shame that people are exposed to such a low level of hockey insight.

Same goes for Jack Todd and Marinaro. And I disagree with the justification that sensationalism and blowing things out proportion sells. I think having informed journalist, radio-hosts with excellent analysis and insights could be as profitable(McKenzie is an example, everyone is always ready, willing and wanting to listen). The sad thing is that there is very little of it in Montreal and the ones that there are get crowded out by the crap.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Batali Crocs*

Lot of hate for Gagnon. Wow.

I actually enjoy listening to him on TSN990 when he's on. I don't read his articles or necessarily watch L'antichambre often, but he seems like the most rational french-media guy compared to the other french-media hacks that I hate and would gladly talk smack to if I saw them in public (and I'm not even a habs fan). His stuff on TSN990 doesn't seem at all as bad as some of you make him out to be.

I find him to be way better than some idiots on the radio like Marinaro and Tsilikas (sp?)

Batali Crocs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:18 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
I don't read his articles, nor do I listen to him on TSN990 or watch him on RDS. He's a two sides of the coin type guy. He'll side with the popular choice and get down on a guy and say the most ridiculous things and when things turn around, he'll be the first to say, "Well I never really said he was bad... what I REALLY meant to say was..."

Case in point, his imaginary tape of Kovalev saying he hates Carbonneau. When he was confronted though, whoops no tape.

My opinion of him is the same as almost everyone else working for the media here in Montreal - pure bull-crap.

Old
01-29-2012, 12:27 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:
What really scares valuable UFAs is the lack of toughness on the team. Travis Moen accepted the job when he had Laraque in front of him, now that he is our toughest player, he for sure doesn't want to play here anymore when he knows he has to fight better players than him.

As Benoit Pouliot said, "I'm now on the good side of the rivalry, in Montreal I had to drop the mitts, which is not my job".

Show the UFAs that we have a solid team toughness and they will sign. Now the UFAs know that if he is in a scrum, his teamates will run to the bench and wont stand up for him.

100% correct. The Pouliot interview is very telling. ***** Gauthier.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:32 AM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I never understood why fans care. I'm completely indifferent and unphased about the opinions of a hockey commentator, analyst or reporter.

Even Jack Todd and his rants, or Tony Marinaro, and his pretentious ''know it all'' persona....

I just don't give a crap, and I'm not sure why some people do...

Hockey is a religion, but it's also entertainment... and these (mostly) men are just part of the entertainment business.

If people cared that much concern about politics or in helping people we might be living in a better world.
I feel the same. I don't understand why people here care so much about the media and discuss it so much. If you don't like a commentator or columnist, don't listen to him on the radio and don't read his column in the paper. It's entertainment. It's like people who say they hate a TV show but watch it every week and know every little detail about it.

The goal of a lot of commentators is to create discussion and be controversial, because controversy sells. By complaining about them posters here are doing exactly what they want.

There's no need for a full-blown boycott. If you don't like someone then do yourself a favor and don't listen. End of story.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:24 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Except that what Fox does can be a lot more dangerous than what any Sport journalist could ever hope to do. I don't want to get into a political debate, but influencing one's opinion of politics, environment, etc. based on no facts, parading as news when it's really opinion is a million time more wrong and dangerous than Gagnon interviewing Cammalleri and quoting him with a little spin in La Presse the next morning. Comparing the two is beyond ridiculous. (edit: although to be fair, they are comparable in terms of style and how low they are ready to step to get attention--at least in my opinion)

you're right that they aren't the same. The analogy I wanted to make was that:

Fox news spews bs...this affects how a lot of morons think and act

The hate the Habs media spews bs...this affects how a lot of morons think and act

The repercussions are obviously on very different scales, but the ire that it draws from (what I'd like to consider) sensible people in both those cases is understandable. Thus, although the tea party has the potential to ruin western civilzation, the negative nancys fueled by Gagnon et al., that unjustly complain about the Habs (specially when it is jingoist, biased and utter ********) have the potential to ruin what a lot of fans enjoy about the team and while debatable, IMO the actual success of the team.

Old
01-29-2012, 01:27 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Skinner View Post
I feel the same. I don't understand why people here care so much about the media and discuss it so much. If you don't like a commentator or columnist, don't listen to him on the radio and don't read his column in the paper. It's entertainment. It's like people who say they hate a TV show but watch it every week and know every little detail about it.

The goal of a lot of commentators is to create discussion and be controversial, because controversy sells. By complaining about them posters here are doing exactly what they want.

There's no need for a full-blown boycott. If you don't like someone then do yourself a favor and don't listen. End of story.
I don't listen to Gagnon...but I know what he says. There's no hiding from it. The issue is that it affects people's sensibilities and brainwashes people. I don't care about the affect Gagnon has on me. I care about the effect it has on those that really don't know much about the team and believe anything they hear, specially if it feeds some special agenda.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:42 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
100% correct. The Pouliot interview is very telling. ***** Gauthier.
The mitts dropping was more Martin's fault imo.

Martin refused to play the players he was given, he marginalized O'Byrne, Lapierre and Stewart and favored ******* like Darche, Pyatt and MAB. What can you do?

Its like what happened in Moneyball.

All that said, I was against losing Pouliot so that's that.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
you're right that they aren't the same. The analogy I wanted to make was that:

Fox news spews bs...this affects how a lot of morons think and act

The hate the Habs media spews bs...this affects how a lot of morons think and act

The repercussions are obviously on very different scales, but the ire that it draws from (what I'd like to consider) sensible people in both those cases is understandable. Thus, although the tea party has the potential to ruin western civilzation, the negative nancys fueled by Gagnon et al., that unjustly complain about the Habs (specially when it is jingoist, biased and utter ********) have the potential to ruin what a lot of fans enjoy about the team and while debatable, IMO the actual success of the team.
That's something else I don't agree with.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what the whole Cammalleri story is, I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I read the first few posts of the thread here on HFBoards, but then I just closed it because I figured it was just another tempest in a teacup.

So... Cammalleri ends up being traded. Did Gagnon have anything to do with it? I REALLY hope not. Do you even realize what that implies? That a ****** that rambles on l'Antichambre actually has a say in how this team is managed? What kind of management do we have that they'll let this kind of person have an influence on their decisions? If your thesis is that journalists influence the upper management's decisions, what you should be worried about is not quieting them, it's replacing as soon as possible those in control because they absolutely have no spine.

If you point is that the media pressure will ruin players careers, or keep players away from the city, then I think you aren't looking at the right place. This city worships its hockey players. They're Gods here. The media is a bi-product of that frenzy. They're also a bi-product of the team's powerful marketing department.

You can't have one without the other. Such a large fan base will always translate into media scrutiny, players being idolized, stalked, each of their moves being over-analyzed, etc.

I'll say it once more: it comes with the fame, it comes with the glory, it comes with the pay. It's not a tragedy. It's definitely a problem in our modern society, but no more, no less than anywhere else. Maybe not hockey-wise, but popular public figures all over the world live the same thing.

Some players thrive in those conditions. They enjoy the pressure. The intensity of the crowd. The passion.

Some don't.

Obviously, the players we're looking for are of the former category. Guys that want to be demi-gods. Guys that love the attention. And everything that comes with it.

Gabe84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Killerguitar101*

Send a message via AIM to Killerguitar101*
I remember Gagnon and Bergie almost going into a fight live on l'Antichambre. It was funny.

Killerguitar101* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:19 PM
habtastic

Quote:
That's something else I don't agree with.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what the whole Cammalleri story is, I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I read the first few posts of the thread here on HFBoards, but then I just closed it because I figured it was just another tempest in a teacup.

So... Cammalleri ends up being traded. Did Gagnon have anything to do with it? I REALLY hope not. Do you even realize what that implies? That a ****** that rambles on l'Antichambre actually has a say in how this team is managed? What kind of management do we have that they'll let this kind of person have an influence on their decisions? If your thesis is that journalists influence the upper management's decisions, what you should be worried about is not quieting them, it's replacing as soon as possible those in control because they absolutely have no spine.

If you point is that the media pressure will ruin players careers, or keep players away from the city, then I think you aren't looking at the right place. This city worships its hockey players. They're Gods here. The media is a bi-product of that frenzy. They're also a bi-product of the team's powerful marketing department.

You can't have one without the other. Such a large fan base will always translate into media scrutiny, players being idolized, stalked, each of their moves being over-analyzed, etc.

I'll say it once more: it comes with the fame, it comes with the glory, it comes with the pay. It's not a tragedy. It's definitely a problem in our modern society, but no more, no less than anywhere else. Maybe not hockey-wise, but popular public figures all over the world live the same thing.

Some players thrive in those conditions. They enjoy the pressure. The intensity of the crowd. The passion.

Some don't.

Obviously, the players we're looking for are of the former category. Guys that want to be demi-gods. Guys that love the attention. And everything that comes with it.
I don't think Gagnon's Cammy interview had any effect on that trade and actually I approve of it.

I'm referring to his bashing of whoever he decides is going to jinn up a group of pitchfork-carrying angry at the establishment, out of touch with reality "followers of the Montreal Canadiens" (can't bear to call them fans). Again, this is NOT the people who legitimately have reasons to be dissatisfied with PG or whoever. I mean the fringe loonies.

As Spacek said, the language debate was a **** of **** and he's glad he wasn't around for it. This is coming from a non-bitter very well liked former-Hab. I would rather our players do NOT get bombarded with constant negativity. There is an element to sports psychology and it's no surprise that in places where there is less intrusiveness, players seem to play better. The pressure thing is different. I'm glad we have a lot of pressure on this team, it's how it should be. When that pressure turn into mutiny, then I think it turns sour for everyone.

There are two ways to approach the team's struggles and each to varying degrees:
1) apathy or support
2) taking your frustration out on them even though they are trying to work through it

I prefer the first option. Now, letting the PP know they suck, I'm fine with. Having media witch hunts, I'm not.

The media has always been heavily present and you're right, it's BIG because the Habs are big here and important and that has the potential to be exploited. I'm obviously being somewhat pollyannish here to assume we just smile and have the media be super favourable towards the team, but I think there's a line.

Look at the way Toronto's networks cover the Leafs. They are the right amount of *****ing about the team and going nuts when they win. I'm for that kind of support, but that's just me. Even when the bruins sucked or even the rangers, their networks and media were if anything, apologetic (not that I'd want that).

Basically I'm saying, if there's an issue, fine, deal with it proportional to it's actual severity. Tabloid journalism and plain 'ol trolling to the public is a real nuisance and does nothing to help the environment of the team. Wouldn't it be nice if those AC d-wads just left PK alone and like in the Det game, ignored him and focused on the part where we are winning a game?

I do think the negativity gets to the players. They certainly love it when it's good here, but sometimes it's a feedback loop and until you can break out of it (by being cut some slack so you're not gripping your stick or distracted or not covering your guy...little mental things) it's going to keep happening.

The point you made about players wanting the pressure - I fully agree with you. There's a difference between pressure and two bit pieces about how all your teammates hate you and how you should be traded. That's not pressure, that's just cheap.

Keeping the teenage girl gossip to a minimum would IMO help. It's a pipedream, particularly in this age of social networks and media, but I can wish...

Old
01-29-2012, 02:21 PM
habtastic

Quote:
I remember Gagnon and Bergie almost going into a fight live on l'Antichambre. It was funny.
video pleeeeeeeasse!!!!

Old
01-29-2012, 02:22 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestriker View Post
Marc Savard.
Scott Gomez...

Come on, Savard has not been thre since a long, long time. They have 4 centers to take charge anyway.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote