HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Russian National Team Head Coach on Flyers goalies, defense

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2012, 08:34 PM
  #26
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Unfortunately for Bryzgalov, he has a young 2nd year player outperforming him behind the same team.
Agreed, though it's clear that Bob's athleticism helps him make up for some defensive lapses. We can all agree that Bob has athleticism that Bryz does not. Either way, I can't make any more excuses for Bryz, he was brought in to steal games and he hasn't. I don't think the system is helping him much, but it's not helping Bob much either.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:48 PM
  #27
bryzgalovsky*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
great so the russian national team head coach is a bryzgalov apologist too.

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 11:26 PM
  #28
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
He did not have to keep a "straight face". He came here to evaluate Russian NHL players for the Russian National team. He provided his opinion to the Russian news paper. I do not think he was worried too much about Bryz's sensitivity or about Philadelphia Flyers fans' opinion.

He has plenty of goalies to work with if Bryz does not poan out. I also need to add that he was not enthusiastic about Varlamov.
Really? He looked great when I saw him playing earlier this year.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 11:55 PM
  #29
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Really? He looked great when I saw him playing earlier this year.
He's been wildly inconsistent. Giguere's consistency has stolen that starting position from him.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:19 AM
  #30
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer
 
GirouxGiroux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Delaware
Country: United States
Posts: 2,851
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Zinetula Bilyaletdinov, Russian National team head coach, just returned from his North America trip where he met with prospective Olympic Team players.

Q: What are your impressions of Bobrovsky?
A: This was the first time that I have met him. I have not seen him play, hopefully I will have this opportunity when I come back in February. It was very nice to have a conversation with him. He seems like very goal oriented guy and we can rely on him.
Do they not have TV or the internet in Russia? I mean, how hard could it be for the national team head coach to get tape on somebody?

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:54 PM
  #31
FLYERSxGIROUX28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
there is a problem with lavy's "system" that is not helping bryz, but it is not his offensive-minded system. as has been previously stated, half of the goals bryz gives up are WEAK. nothing to do with the system. however, the flyers, and laviolette, are responsible for the goalie issues we have had in the pas and are again partly responsible, particularly lavy. no matter how many ****** games bryz has and no matter how many good games bob has, we go right back to bryz after a MAX of two starts for bob. Why? If you aren't allowing competition between the two, bryz isn't going to get back to form. Look, I'm not on team bob, at least not yet, because if we are to have any shot at making a legitimate run in the playoffs, it is going to be on the backs of Giroux and a bryzgalov who is at the top of his game. If bryz continues to play mindbogglingly ******, the best thing to do would be to give bob the job for a week, two weeks, whatever it takes to make bryz want his job back. i know bryz is insane and may take it badly at first, but it has to be done. one of the TOP coaches in the league (which lavy is not, he's near there but not top top) i.e. babcock, torts, etc. would not be putting up with this ********.

FLYERSxGIROUX28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:00 PM
  #32
dookie88
Registered User
 
dookie88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSxGIROUX28 View Post
there is a problem with lavy's "system" that is not helping bryz, but it is not his offensive-minded system. as has been previously stated, half of the goals bryz gives up are WEAK. nothing to do with the system. however, the flyers, and laviolette, are responsible for the goalie issues we have had in the pas and are again partly responsible, particularly lavy. no matter how many ****** games bryz has and no matter how many good games bob has, we go right back to bryz after a MAX of two starts for bob. Why? If you aren't allowing competition between the two, bryz isn't going to get back to form. Look, I'm not on team bob, at least not yet, because if we are to have any shot at making a legitimate run in the playoffs, it is going to be on the backs of Giroux and a bryzgalov who is at the top of his game. If bryz continues to play mindbogglingly ******, the best thing to do would be to give bob the job for a week, two weeks, whatever it takes to make bryz want his job back. i know bryz is insane and may take it badly at first, but it has to be done. one of the TOP coaches in the league (which lavy is not, he's near there but not top top) i.e. babcock, torts, etc. would not be putting up with this ********.
Agree, Lavy has to make Bryz work for his time right now.
It would probably be beneficiary for him to have some time to tweek his game, as well.

It's also mind-boggling that, of all goalies who played unter Lavy here, Leighton arguably performed the best so far.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 05:27 PM
  #33
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Miller and Brodeur would be proves of your theory. They are excellent goalies behind reliable defence systems;who suck behind pitifull defences
Not to mention the all star game reinforces this.

No defense, offensive players get to create, and its 8-7 right now.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 06:49 PM
  #34
Brozgalov
Registered User
 
Brozgalov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Honestly, what a lot of you say (and consequently what he says) is wrong.

If this system was so inept defensively then Leighton wouldn't have put up great numbers under Laviolette and Bobrovsky would not be putting up consistently strong numbers again this season.

Bryzgalov has had a few strong games since the Winter Classic. I'll admit that he's getting better.

However, we saw with our own eyes how terrible he's been.

If it looks like a Leighton, is out of position like a Leighton, gives up horrible rebounds like a Leighton, does not hug the post like a Leighton, and gets beat on routine saves like a Leighton...it must be a Leighton.

It's up to Bryzgalov to continue to get better. We all know he's a better goalie than that. Blaming the defense is just a cop out. We're one of the best in terms of giving up limited shots per game.
I don't know if you remember but our Defense basically kicked ass that year. The reason we could get away with having a crappy goalie was because our defense was stellar and it was the only thing anyone talked about.

#1) Pronger was healthy
#2) Richards/Carter are two of the best 2 way forwards in the league.

I am not making excuses for bryz, this is just how I see things when you are comparing him to leighton. Also, for those of you that dislike Carter for his "high and wide" shots, completely overlook how great he was at backchecking and playing defense. Not to mention our system might not be exactly the same as it is now.. it was slower because we had slower players.

Remember I am not making excuses for Bryz, I think he has played bad, but I also think our team has played poorly too. At the end of the day we are still a top team in the league with a completely new roster that is only going to get better.

WE NEED TO ADD A SUTER/WEBER NOW!

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:09 AM
  #35
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I still believe that the defense played with their hair on fire for Leighton. They played far above their abilities, which is saying a lot considering the personnel we have/had. There seemed to be a concerted effort to keep the shot lanes open for clear vision, and to clear out the fat rebounds Leighton would leave.
I cannot believe what is written in this thread:

D played well for MFL (and assume because they had worst stats, poorly for Emery and Boosh)????

D plays poorly in front of Bryz in an offensive system yet Bob puts up strong numbers???

Lavy's system is not built for the playoffs yet the Canes one???

It is not April 1rst yet is it?

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:22 AM
  #36
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen;43284357[QUOTE
]I cannot believe what is written in this thread:
Quote:
D played well for MFL (and assume because they had worst stats, poorly for Emery and Boosh)????
Is this that difficult to believe? You have capable NHL goalies who have each gone deep in the NHL playoffs, and then you have a career AHL who can't keep a job. You don't think the defense will play harder for the AHLer, and become naturally a bit more complacent for the NHL vets?
Quote:
D plays poorly in front of Bryz in an offensive system yet Bob puts up strong numbers???
like i said in a previous post, Bob's athleticism can make up for the occasional defensive lapse. Bryz isn't as athletic. Bob's had a couple bad games this year too, but hasn't suffered from shattered confidence
Quote:
Lavy's system is not built for the playoffs yet the Canes one???
No one said it's not built for the playoffs.
Quote:
It is not April 1rst yet is it?
Answers in bold.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:34 PM
  #37
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
My understanding is not everything is up to him; there are forwards and defensemen, and team defense system. Iliya is not capable of protecting the goal alone without teamís help. I have to consider these issues when I evaluate a goalie performance. I liked what I saw.
Sometimes it takes an outsider to see what's real.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:13 PM
  #38
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Miller and Brodeur would be proves of your theory. They are excellent goalies behind reliable defence systems;who suck behind pitifull defences
Indeed. Let's look at 2 of the Allstar goalies, for instance.

Jimmy Howard - how about his last game before the allstar break, guy couldnt stop ANYTHING. He was an ALLSTAR. I believe he let in 6 against Montreal.

Tim Thomas - our game versus him pre-Allstar game. He let in 5 goals.

Two allstars who let in more than 4 goals in games. Bryz has had multiple bad games but we can't sit around and pretend it's 100% him.

I constantly regurgitate this same argument. Our D, whether it's Lavy's system or the players themselves, play a very flawed game. We all rush into the offensive zone then struggle to get back - odd-man rushes, deflections off of our own sticks and complete disappearance for parts of the game.

Sure Bob has come in and stood on his head. That still proves the point that our D is playing bad. No goalie should have to stand on their head or let in 5 goals. There needs to be a better way.

And for the Leightonism argument. Leighton = Leighton no matter where he played. He was up and down with the Hurricanes too, as he was here.

You can't really compare that to Bryz. He has been a GREAT goaltender in THE NHL everywhere else he played. He just has trouble here. What a freaking coincidence...

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:53 PM
  #39
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Leighton played well in our system because he is a big goalie and can usually make the first save and let the D handle the rebounds.

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:14 PM
  #40
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Sometimes it takes an outsider to see what's real.
Signed,

Not the Philadelphia Eagles

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:23 PM
  #41
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Signed,

Not the Philadelphia Eagles
Ain't no lie there!

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:31 AM
  #42
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
I don't know if you remember but our Defense basically kicked ass that year. The reason we could get away with having a crappy goalie was because our defense was stellar and it was the only thing anyone talked about.

#1) Pronger was healthy
#2) Richards/Carter are two of the best 2 way forwards in the league.

I am not making excuses for bryz, this is just how I see things when you are comparing him to leighton. Also, for those of you that dislike Carter for his "high and wide" shots, completely overlook how great he was at backchecking and playing defense. Not to mention our system might not be exactly the same as it is now.. it was slower because we had slower players.

Remember I am not making excuses for Bryz, I think he has played bad, but I also think our team has played poorly too. At the end of the day we are still a top team in the league with a completely new roster that is only going to get better.

WE NEED TO ADD A SUTER/WEBER NOW!
Yes, I have accounted for this.

Leighton sucked but put up strong numbers because we had what was pretty much an unbeatable team defense that year (i.e. healthy Pronger and Richards/Carter down the middle).

Now, with rookies anchoring our defensive positions among our forwards and our blueline lacking Chris ****ing Pronger, we can't have a goaltender playing like Leighton otherwise they're going to get lit up.

I explained how Leighton was a product of our team defense. Bryzgalov would probably put up incredible numbers with the team that Leighton had with or without Laviolette's "bad system." (I still can't believe that load of crap.)

Well, we paid Bryzgalov so that he would still put up great numbers behind just a strong NHL defense or even a lesser one as opposed to the all-world defense we had with Leighton.

Bryzgalov has just not performed. Plain and simple. We don't have the team defense we used to. In fact, we knew we couldn't have an all-world defensive unit forever. THAT'S WHY WE SIGNED BRYZGALOV.

Anything now is just an excuse. You guys can keep spinning the wheel though. I hope Bryzgalov wakes up just as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to count on it.

In the meantime, I'm going to be rightfully pissed that we have to drop 7m/year on another defender to replace Chris Pronger just to get the same results from Bryzgalov at 5.67m that we were getting from Leighton at 1.55m. It's ****ing absurd.

Meanwhile Bob's career in Philadelphia is in limbo until we solve this problem.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.