HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Let's Appreciate Carey Price

Old
01-29-2012, 02:41 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
No goalie is worth that much in overall term and cash. We've had this discussion in December. Price is not a 7m goalie AND a long term contract. Too risky, the goalie position is rather stratified and none of those deals seem to pay off (except Lunqvist, maybe).

Price is also shoddy at best in the playoffs in the W-L record, not that I doubt him at all. Let him prove himself a bit until we give him the moon AND the stars.

4 years 5.75m is what I'd offer at first.
Price is a franchise goaltender in the Rinne Lunqvist category, not only he has top end skills but has also a great attitude and represent our team extremmely well.. Give him only a decent team in front of him and his numbers will be among the best.. Its no secret that the Habs have been extremmely porous for a large part of the season relying way too much on their goaltending and no real structure in front of him.. 10 years lead us at 34 years old, what is a perfect length to me.. The kid is the perfect package, big fast skilled, strong technically and strong puckhandling skills, he is basically a third defenseman on the ice.. 4 years is ridiculously short, what will you do when his contract expire? Sign an average UFA starter at 4.5M per year? Great great vision..

Smart GMs lock their franchise players long term and this is what will happen with Price..

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 01-29-2012 at 03:10 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 03:42 PM
NJHABSFAN

after what he did to Chara, I would sign him ! Bravo Price. Whole new respect for you ! Fem Boston Bruin scum bags

NJHABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Price is a franchise goaltender in the Rinne Lunqvist category, not only he has top end skills but has also a great attitude and represent our team extremmely well.. Give him only a decent team in front of him and his numbers will be among the best.. Its no secret that the Habs have been extremmely porous for a large part of the season relying way too much on their goaltending and no real structure in front of him.. 10 years lead us at 34 years old, what is a perfect length to me.. The kid is the perfect package, big fast skilled, strong technically and strong puckhandling skills, he is basically a third defenseman on the ice.. 4 years is ridiculously short, what will you do when his contract expire? Sign an average UFA starter at 4.5M per year? Great great vision..

Smart GMs lock their franchise players long term and this is what will happen with Price..
Too bad we don't have a smart GM.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:59 PM
dutchy29

Well...yeah he has a great personality...but can he make a shootout save?
no. I hope he improves with age

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:01 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
I didn't find him overly entertaining either. If that is entertainment at its finest...
geeky si tehg word- really wasnt very funny or entertaining

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:02 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
geeky si tehg word- really wasnt very funny or entertaining
Geeky is the word- i have to correct it on another Post since i am under slight penalty

Old
01-29-2012, 08:04 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
Well...yeah he has a great personality...but can he make a shootout save?
no. I hope he improves with age
he has the personality of a Cardboard box

Old
01-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Here's a great Question? Is Montreal just way to hard on Goalies or is there Xenophobia towards Anglo's & or Aboriginals, Carey is part First Nations.

Just notice that Euro guys like Kovalev, Halak, Plakanec are bundled in like Quebecois? I find it very strange & rather irritating.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:08 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Here's a great Question? Is Montreal just way to hard on Goalies or is there Xenophobia towards Anglo's & or Aboriginals, Carey is part First Nations.

Just notice that Euro guys like Kovalev, Halak, Plakanec are bundled in like Quebecois? I find it very strange & rather irritating.
It's always on the goalie then you have a ****** team.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
It's always on the goalie then you have a ****** team.
It's just Roy this Roy that, never Dryden who was just as great & never quit on Montreal! You know what I mean...

Old
01-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Habit11

Quote:

Not a great question at all. Player's have been cheered or booed regardless of background.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Not a great question at all. Player's have been cheered or booed regardless of background.
It just doesn't seem like that sometimes from the other side.

Old
01-29-2012, 08:18 PM
larek

Quote:
It's just Roy this Roy that, never Dryden who was just as great & never quit on Montreal! You know what I mean...
thats because alo t of posters never s een Dryden play as in a live game same with alot of posters never seen an Allstar game that w as played more like a real nhl game- i think Roy was the better goalie he had alot more work than Dryden did- cripes how many times in his career did dryden have 15 or less shots??

Old
01-29-2012, 08:20 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Im liking the fact that other fanbases are starting to realize how great a goalie/guy Carey Price really is.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
thats because alo t of posters never s een Dryden play as in a live game same with alot of posters never seen an Allstar game that w as played more like a real nhl game- i think Roy was the better goalie he had alot more work than Dryden did- cripes how many times in his career did dryden have 15 or less shots??
Dryden's team's were a powerhouse! True almost unfair... Still just standing there he blocked 90 % of the net! Still #29 is an Icon!

Old
01-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Habsfunk

Dryden did quit on the team. He skipped the entire 73-74 season because he didn't get the contract he wanted. Then he retired at 31 despite still being an elite goalie.

Habsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfunk View Post
Dryden did quit on the team. He skipped the entire 73-74 season because he didn't get the contract he wanted. Then he retired at 31 despite still being an elite goalie.
I meant in game, in season, BIG Diff!

Old
01-29-2012, 08:31 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
Im liking the fact that other fanbases are starting to realize how great a goalie/guy Carey Price really is.
hes a good goalie but like i said before there many good goalies in the NHL now a days- thast probbaly where the NHL has really strengthened from past years- stickhandling not good anymore- passing not as good- deking not as good finsishing not as good- BUt goaltending better than ever but maybe that has to do with trhe prevbious not being as good- its all dump and chase now

Old
01-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
That they thought he was funny or that he is a great goalie? i'm having a hard time figuring out which catagory he falls under....

Maliki2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:37 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
That they thought he was funny or that he is a great goalie? i'm having a hard time figuring out which catagory he falls under....
How about both.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wanna roll Carey in a beer batter, deep fry him and pour some mango salsa all over him.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
If you kinda watched the trending or are on Twitter, Carey Price was #1 this weekend. For Normal Cities this would be great news, but in Montreal, it's relative... (sigh)

Old
01-29-2012, 08:51 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
He can't win shootouts, can't stop break aways, soft goals.
Thats not a reflection of carey price the person, i got a chuckle
from him as well at the asw. Really liked what i saw of him this weekend,
classy ,nice young fellow, easy to like guy.
The reality is, he had many chances to get an extra few points for the team
this year and he failed badly. It all starts from the goalie out, if that fails,
the rest of the team is sure to follow.

So what i don't like is the fact that he's been nothing more and some nights less
then an average goalie this season, how it will translate going forward, we'll
have to wait and see. Underneath that shield of calm there's a thinking side
to him and thats where his problem's start
To win a shootout first your team actually has to get a goal on the shootout. Price hasn't been great on the shootout by any stretch, but he isn't exactly getting chances to go far in an SO. Our team isn't scoring any SO goals.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:53 PM
neofury*

PS: It starts from the defense out imo. If we had better D Price would have stolen us games. A lot of the goals he's allowed this year haven't been as soft as you say, they've been direct results of poor defensive coverage.

Not saying he hasn't let in any softies, all goalies do now and then. But he hasn't been a bad goalie. He's at the ASG because people know he's good.

Old
01-29-2012, 08:57 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Worse def corps means generally weaker goalie stats.

Yea, he left in a couple softies. Who doesn't? Who can face 80 MPH shots day in and day out and not let one pass by that he could have stopped?

Carey is a good goalie. In no way will I ever put the blame on him for this season, the onus is, IMO, entirely on whoever is responsible for the PP - both players and coaching staff.
In my opinion general manager hasn't given coaching the tools they need in order to have a top 15 PP. Better sure, but good? Doubtful.

Part of it is Markov, but honestly as much as I like Kaberle he's a passer, they needed to go hard after somebody who can also shoot like Streit. Kaberle was the only person available for a fair deal I guess and they settled. People would be crying if we gave up our 1st for Streit lets face it. Kaberle is an alright backup plan but we direly need Markov.