HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Webs/Suts Rose Ceremony - All Ryan Suter/Shea Weber FA talk

View Poll Results: Do you think that we should trade Ryan Suter at the deadline?
Yes, we need to get something for him rather than nothing. 18 30.51%
No, he's more valuable than any return that we would get for him. 41 69.49%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-29-2012, 03:47 PM
VFL615*

vCash: 500
Here is his latest backtrack posted this afternoon on nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=614254

Key comments:

"I never said that [test the open market] and I don't want to right now," Suter said.

He does not want to test the market right now he just wants to do so after the season is over, media and preds fan's. Do not mistake what he says! lol

--Suter said any discussions he and Neil Sheehy have had with Predators GM David Poile have focused on the direction of the franchise. Suter said they will not talk about money until after the season is finished mainly because he doesn't want his contract negotiations to become a distraction to the Predators--

Got the Gm saying it is done and only needs a signature and we have Suter who says they have not even discussed money. Thoughts?

To do that, Suter said it is important to him -- both now and for the future -- that Poile go out and add "the right pieces" prior to the trade deadline. He said it will show him the organization is serious about winning.

I think the Preds are serious about winning since they are trying to sign Suter and Weber to go along with Peka. So what is winning to Suter?
The Preds finished in the top 5 in the west last year and are a top 5 team in the entire NHL this year.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 03:58 PM
pekkaslap

Well, the outlook isn't exactly rosy...

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:01 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
So you'd rather be the Atlanta Thrashers? (a team that trades away their top players for future talent)
um, no, i didn't mention atlanta....

i just happen to have a different viewpoint than you do...

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:03 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Here is his latest backtrack posted this afternoon on nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=614254

Key comments:

"I never said that [test the open market] and I don't want to right now," Suter said.

He does not want to test the market right now he just wants to do so after the season is over, media and preds fan's. Do not mistake what he says! lol
Exactly. Suter's words don't match his actions. If you don't want to test the open market, then "sign on the line which is dotted." That's what Poile says is all that we're waiting on. I bet Baldwin will even throw in a set of stake knives.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:28 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Let's see who reads more into Suter's words ... the fans or the media.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:29 PM
predatorsfan2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
I agree the he could sign, but imagine it's the summer and we've just been bounced and did not win the Cup. It's tough in the locker room. Everyone is down about a tough playoff loss. Poile made a trade or two like Suter asked, but the cupboard is a little more bare after trading away assets for rentals. Suter is weeks away from UFA and a bigger payday than Poile is offering. Suter has his pick of the litter. What do you think the chances are he resigns here? Pretty unsettling for the future, no?

The only way I think he resigns after the offseason is if we win it all. I'm just not ready to sacrifice the future (giving away assets and getting pennies for Suter) to go for it now. We know how that ended up last time we went for it all. I'd rather be competitive for years to come with what we can get for Suter, and have a chance for years to come combined with the guys we have coming up. That's just me though.
I agree. Especially the latter. I don't want us to trade away everything away either(NSH: Parise NJD: All Milwaukee Admirals, and every draft pick we have until 2020) . But, the good news is Suter didn't necessarily say that it has to be a big name, just the right fit to the puzzle.

I don't think we have to win the whole thing for Suter to resign. It wouldn't hurt things obviously (and I would most definitely not complain if we won..) but I don't think its a necessity. If we make a serious push in the playoffs (WCF, maybe even WCQF and push it to a game 7, or when the central) that would be enough for Suter.

predatorsfan2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:30 PM
predatorsfan2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Let's see who reads more into Suter's words ... the fans or the media.
We're both neck and neck.

Barry Melrose: "Suter declared he would go to free agency."

No Barry...go cut your nasty, greasy hair and do some research.

Old
01-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
Well, the outlook isn't exactly rosy...
Hey I come in peace. First I hope you keep both Suter and Weber on your team. However it is not the end of the world if they go. Case in point. If Poile can pull off what Holmgren did last June, it could set up your team for years to come. By moving Mike Richards and Jeff Carter for draft picks and young talent Paul revamped the entire team. Holmgren at the time took major heat for getting rid of both Mike and Jeff, both homegrown talent's entering the prime of their careers. However,seven months later not to many people are looking back. If it comes down to it, Poile holds two trump cards that every team in the league would be interested in obtaining. Paul did not even get in any bidding wars with teams and the returns have just been fantastic. The day the two trades went down, I was shocked and dissapointed. But knowing how the two deals turned out. I would do both in a second again. So anyway, as I said, I hope they both stay with your organization. But it is not the end of the world if they do not.(As long as Poile makes the right decisions). Anyway Good Luck.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 05:28 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

There are so many assumptions driving the posts here that it's laughable.

What we know ... Suter says he isn't signing before the trade deadline. He's looking to see what Poile does, but, isn't publicly ranting for a huge name player but the "right piece". Poile claims that there is an offer on the table for Suter.

We don't know what the structure of the reported offer is. We don't know what Suter or Weber have intimated to ownership during meetings during the season. We don't know what either player is requesting from the team, if anything.

Nothing out there says definitively that Suter is leaving ... nor is there anything substantial that says he's chomping at the bit to extend.

Old
01-29-2012, 05:52 PM
BuckeyePredFan

Quote:
There are so many assumptions driving the posts here that it's laughable.

What we know ... Suter says he isn't signing before the trade deadline. He's looking to see what Poile does, but, isn't publicly ranting for a huge name player but the "right piece". Poile claims that there is an offer on the table for Suter.

We don't know what the structure of the reported offer is. We don't know what Suter or Weber have intimated to ownership during meetings during the season. We don't know what either player is requesting from the team, if anything.

Nothing out there says definitively that Suter is leaving ... nor is there anything substantial that says he's chomping at the bit to extend.

Logic is not allowed on the message boards...

BuckeyePredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
We don't know what the structure of the reported offer is.
This might be the biggest thing being overlooked in all of this. What if the offer Poile made is $5.5 or something low like that? Sure he can come out and say "There's a deal on the table, it just needs Suter to sign"... but it might not be the most reasonable deal, which in turn has persuaded Suter to nix discussions until after the season.

Legionnaire11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 06:56 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quite honestly I see some sort of resolution on this in fairly short order. Suter turned up the temperature on this quite a bit with his comments this weekend. He can't just arrive back in Nashville and say, "hey guys, what's up?"

Poile has to respond in some fashion. Maybe it's by making the same old useless comments about commitment to resigning ASAP, but I don't think he can do that. Everyone now knows that it won't happen before his hand is forced.

One option is that the real possibility of playing in a new uniform makes Suter reconsider and sign the extension. Though that's unlikely in my opinion. Maybe 20%.

The other option is that Poile goes business as usual, and makes a couple of modest upgrades at certain positions, and then tries again in the offseason with Suter. I think this is even less likely, maybe 15%, because Poile can't risk giving up future talent now for rentals, I don't think there is a major move in the works for a young player, because you have to give up guys like Suter to get them.

The last option is Suter is traded. I'm guessing it's at least 65% chance this happens. Teams usually don't like this behavior exhibited by Suter to the media. It just makes for a bad environment. By keeping him on the team, every reporter in every city will ask Suter and Poile about it. It won't go away and will be the true "distraction" Suter mis-referred to. It's now a bigger distraction than ever.

Old
01-29-2012, 07:02 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Quite honestly I see some sort of resolution on this in fairly short order. Suter turned up the temperature on this quite a bit with his comments this weekend. He can't just arrive back in Nashville and say, "hey guys, what's up?"

Poile has to respond in some fashion. Maybe it's by making the same old useless comments about commitment to resigning ASAP, but I don't think he can do that. Everyone now knows that it won't happen before his hand is forced.

One option is that the real possibility of playing in a new uniform makes Suter reconsider and sign the extension. Though that's unlikely in my opinion. Maybe 20%.

The other option is that Poile goes business as usual, and makes a couple of modest upgrades at certain positions, and then tries again in the offseason with Suter. I think this is even less likely, maybe 15%, because Poile can't risk giving up future talent now for rentals, I don't think there is a major move in the works for a young player, because you have to give up guys like Suter to get them.

The last option is Suter is traded. I'm guessing it's at least 65% chance this happens. Teams usually don't like this behavior exhibited by Suter to the media. It just makes for a bad environment. By keeping him on the team, every reporter in every city will ask Suter and Poile about it. It won't go away and will be the true "distraction" Suter mis-referred to. It's now a bigger distraction than ever.
I think you're over reacting to Suter's comments. At no time did he say he was gone .. just that he wasn't singing before the deadline which isn't an unexpected move. There's nothing shocking here, except for the huge panic from our fanbase which is demonstrative of our lack of being in this position as fans.

I'd put it at 95% that Suter remains a Pred past the deadline. Even after his comments, 65% that he signs an extension before 1 July.

Old
01-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Token brings up a very good point. If suter leaves, poile will have around 7 million dollars that was earmarked for him to find a suitable replacement. Of course it won't be ryan suter, but playing with the rest of our d and rinne, it could be good enough, and probably have money left over to shop for a forward
Problem is, if Suter leaves, who is going to want to come here of that caliber? If this team isn't good enough for Suter and if all of our best players leave and we can't even sign our own guys, who is going to want to come here?

All the talk about our window of opportunity goes out the window if Weber and Suter leave. They might not be the whole team, but their reputation around the league and importance to our franchise cannot be underestimated here. Without them our window closes and we take steps back once again. This was the year to capitalize.

Poile better have one hell of a strategy at the deadline or be praying for a long playoff run. All three parties are to blame. I blame Suter and Weber for holding the team hostage and I blame Poile for not taking advantage of the perfect storm of the success we had leading up to this season. Should Weber and Suter leave, the blame must fall at Poile's feet.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Problem is, if Suter leaves, who is going to want to come here of that caliber? If this team isn't good enough for Suter and if all of our best players leave and we can't even sign our own guys, who is going to want to come here?
A player who wants to be paid $7M/yr

It will not be the end of the world if we lost one or BOTH players. We have to spend the money one way or the other, it might not be on the best duo in the league, but adequate replacements and probably another piece or two up front. One could argue that (PR hit aside), it would be the best case scenario.

Legionnaire11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:37 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Couldn't he simply waiting until the end of the season to hopefully earn more money by having a monster finish to the season and playoffs?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:40 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Couldn't he simply waiting until the end of the season to hopefully earn more money by having a monster finish to the season and playoffs?
Possibly ... or he doesn't want to get into detailed contract talks again until later in the season and not with 12 games between now and the trade deadline.

I didn't expect him to sign before then to begin with ... once again we have much ado about nothing.

Old
01-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Maybe he wants to see how the CBA turns out?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:43 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Maybe he wants to see how the CBA turns out?

The current CBA is in effect until at least mid September.

Old
01-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
The current CBA is in effect until at least mid September.
Yes, but odds are they will agree on a new one before September. He may be hoping to get a glance at what it'll be like before signing.

I don't think this is it, just tossing ideas out there.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:52 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Yes, but odds are they will agree on a new one before September. He may be hoping to get a glance at what it'll be like before signing.

I don't think this is it, just tossing ideas out there.
Unless the NHLPA gained a huge win and somehow there was a new provision for performance bonuses there isn't much that would apply to Suter.

Old
01-29-2012, 08:23 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:

I didn't expect him to sign before then to begin with ... once again we have much ado about nothing.
Then I take it you will gladly excuse yourself from further discussion since you have it all figured out and leave us worrywarts to ourselves?

Last edited by Majik1987: 01-29-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: trolling
Old
01-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
This might be the biggest thing being overlooked in all of this. What if the offer Poile made is $5.5 or something low like that? Sure he can come out and say "There's a deal on the table, it just needs Suter to sign"... but it might not be the most reasonable deal, which in turn has persuaded Suter to nix discussions until after the season.
It's not. Look at Rinne's deal. Poile didn't low ball Pekka & he won't lowball Weber either...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 09:06 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
It's not. Look at Rinne's deal. Poile didn't low ball Pekka & he won't lowball Weber either...
I don't think Poile would lowball this offer, but, the question of how it's structured is a potential sticking point. There are too many variables of front/back loading, signing bonuses, length, NMC/NTC, etc. An agreement in principle is easy, a solid contract with all of those details worked out can be a time consuming process.

Old
01-29-2012, 09:19 PM
predatorsfan2015

Is it possible Suter signs a 1 year deal just to see what Poile does during the offseason?

Last edited by predatorsfan2015: 01-29-2012 at 09:28 PM.