HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Webs/Suts Rose Ceremony - All Ryan Suter/Shea Weber FA talk

View Poll Results: Do you think that we should trade Ryan Suter at the deadline?
Yes, we need to get something for him rather than nothing. 18 30.51%
No, he's more valuable than any return that we would get for him. 41 69.49%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-30-2012, 07:34 AM
token grinder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I don't think Poile would lowball this offer, but, the question of how it's structured is a potential sticking point. There are too many variables of front/back loading, signing bonuses, length, NMC/NTC, etc. An agreement in principle is easy, a solid contract with all of those details worked out can be a time consuming process.
I do not think the structure has as much to do with it since it is all guaranteed money.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:09 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Flat out wrong information. They have had a contract worked out year and money wise since before thanksgiving. So while there is truth to the negotiations are on hold, it is on hold because he wants to make sure he isn't going into a Eric Staal-like situation where you afford to pay your goalie and one star player and suck. He wants to make sure alot of the team stays and the Preds are committed to being a consistant contender year after year. And it isn't just Weber/Suter/rinne makes it a contender year after year. It is having the right guys for the right roles. These guys understand most markets are not going to have 4-5 guys making 7 million plus a year. They do not want to constantly be playing with 5 rookies every year.
I can't say with certainty that the numbers are not the problem, but I don't feel they are. Suter and Weber want a commitment from ownership. And that hasn't happened in a meaningful way yet. It's great to hear that ownership is going to spend to the cap max and I'm sure Poile is just waiting for the right opportunity that isn't wasteful to improve the roster.

But until then, you have an organization with almost no history of cap max behavior and a man being asked to commit the rest of his prime to that organization when he can likely get the same money from multiple teams who are the epitome of cap max (Detroit, Philly, etc.). It doesn't seem like either Weber or Suter are being unreasonable here.

As for the quotes, I'm glad Suter walked them back a little. I wish that next to each article quoting a player there was actual, unedited footage of the players comments. People lose all context in a singular quote or set of quotes and then everyone races to the extremes to analyze them. I often think how hilarious our lives would be if we communicated to our spouses through the media and the media got to choose the quotes from our conversations that would be communicated to our spouses. It sounds ridiculous as a hypothetical, yet we claim this form of communication as gospel every time we go to ESPN.com

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:13 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
And I would counter with Columbus doesn't let their home grown talent walk. Nash and RJ Umberger signed long term with their losing team. What does that say about Weber and Suter?
RJ Umberger isn't home grown talent. They got him from Philly.

Rick Nash-Steve Mason-Derek Dorsett-Derek Brassard is their home grown talent. 2 thumbs up, right?

Wiz, Umberger, Vermette (who they traded home-grown talent Pascal LeClaire for) Huselius and Carter (who they traded home-grown talent Jake Vorachek for) are their big acq/ They also traded home-grown talent Rusty Klesla to Pho for Scottie Upshall.

I do not think we need to compare ourselves to Columbus in any way. at all. their owner seems like a good man. But that is it maybe. Their GM is a failure. Their scouting and drafting is a failure. Their coaches, past, present, and with their track record, future are failures. Their players are too often found wanting on the ice. Their sytem stinks. Their luck is awful.

one positive, well two. I like their building. and Thurmans Cafe.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:13 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I do not think the structure has as much to do with it since it is all guaranteed money.
If structure doesn't matter we wouldn't see so many deals structured the way they are. With the impending changes in the CBA, signing bonuses spread throughout the contract are now in vogue. Very few big contracts are now as simple as X dollars for each of the next Y years.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:20 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

There is one thing I think is getting overlooked. It's not "he won't sign until after the deadline" anymore...It's...

Quote:
Suter said they will not talk about money until after the season is finished mainly because he doesn't want his contract negotiations to become a distraction....
IMO, making a move for a player is only one part of what he's looking for. I think he has a set goal in mind...say past 2nd round or something like that.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:26 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
There is one thing I think is getting overlooked. It's not "he won't sign until after the deadline" anymore...It's...

IMO, making a move for a player is only one part of what he's looking for. I think he has a set goal in mind...say past 2nd round or something like that.
If he doesn't want the distraction of contract negotiations during the run up to the trade deadline, I would imagine he wouldn't want it throughout the playoffs.

My guess is that the quote where he said he wouldn't sign until after the deadline was after being asked specifically if he would sign before the trade deadline or if he thought he'd be trade bait. So he answered that question honestly ("after") and then clarified later on ("after the season").

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:38 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
Suter hasnt dealt with the media much. I'm sure he (naively) thought his statements would stop the incessant questions about his contract status/negotiations. Instead of course, it did just the opposite, and he is apparently not happy about how the media have twisted his words.

Hopefullly he learned his lesson and will stick to well worn platitudes when dealing with the media in the future.

As an aside, if you remember back in September, when everyone was ready to hang Poile because the big three werent all signed before the season, Poile made the comment that the players dont always have the same time frame for negotiations as the team does.

We migh as well face it, until the deadline comes and goes, we are gonna have this to deal with, daily...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:49 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think the writing is pretty clearly on the wall. Suter has no beef with Nashville. He can envision signing here long term. Weber's plans are inextricably tied with Suter's.

But both aren't willing to be "the gutsy team that sure gave the Canucks a run for their money."

In years past, this team has been a playoff contender. Other than 06/07, it hasn't been a true cup contender. Even right now, I believe that to be the case--but I think it's close. I think Poile, as Jawanda says, needs to look at this as a "go for it" year. 06/07 was a go-for-it year due to pressure from Leipold to have a deep run. His last ditch at making it work in Nashville, so we got Forsberg that year. This is a go-for-it year in that a first-round flameout or second-round domination might be enough for Suter to seek greener pastures.

Like some others have said, I think\hope Poile is looking for a homerun move. I'm not sure simply adding Ruutu and Allen or Kostitsyn and Gill is enough to push us over the hump. A deep run, and I don't think we have anything to worry about.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:35 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I think the writing is pretty clearly on the wall. Suter has no beef with Nashville. He can envision signing here long term. Weber's plans are inextricably tied with Suter's.

But both aren't willing to be "the gutsy team that sure gave the Canucks a run for their money."

In years past, this team has been a playoff contender. Other than 06/07, it hasn't been a true cup contender. Even right now, I believe that to be the case--but I think it's close. I think Poile, as Jawanda says, needs to look at this as a "go for it" year. 06/07 was a go-for-it year due to pressure from Leipold to have a deep run. His last ditch at making it work in Nashville, so we got Forsberg that year. This is a go-for-it year in that a first-round flameout or second-round domination might be enough for Suter to seek greener pastures.

Like some others have said, I think\hope Poile is looking for a homerun move. I'm not sure simply adding Ruutu and Allen or Kostitsyn and Gill is enough to push us over the hump. A deep run, and I don't think we have anything to worry about.
So round and round we go...lol. I like your thinking and part of me says, we should go for it. Here are two questions to ponder though.

1. Who do we target realistically? I know we've all talked of Ryan, Parise, Carter, Iginla, etc. At the end of the day, who is going to be available? If there are lots of buyers and a few sellers, the asking price for anyone of these guys or anyone else is going to be high as there will be a bidding war. No big deal, we have a lot of pieces we could package to land anyone of those players mentioned.

2. If we land a big name player and give up a few pieces to get them and Suter doesn't re-sign, then what? The pieces that we could've used to replace Suter with are now gone.

This isn't meant to slam your idea because I truly like it. No matter what scenario we put out there, it's a crap shoot at best. We have to make moves to get better to compete come the playoffs but there is an inherent risk with anything we do. And while we don't have the top end talent of other teams, we are as deep if not deeper than anyone 1-12 at the forward slot. Boston proved you can with lots of depth and good D/goaltending. I think Poile is shooting for the same thing.

I agree in that we need a top 3 and a gritty defenseman for the third pairing. How we go about getting those pieces is another story. Good post though.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:36 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So round and round we go...lol. I like your thinking and part of me says, we should go for it. Here are two questions to ponder though.

1. Who do we target realistically? I know we've all talked of Ryan, Parise, Carter, Iginla, etc. At the end of the day, who is going to be available? If there are lots of buyers and a few sellers, the asking price for anyone of these guys or anyone else is going to be high as there will be a bidding war. No big deal, we have a lot of pieces we could package to land anyone of those players mentioned.

2. If we land a big name player and give up a few pieces to get them and Suter doesn't re-sign, then what? The pieces that we could've used to replace Suter with are now gone.

This isn't meant to slam your idea because I truly like it. No matter what scenario we put out there, it's a crap shoot at best. We have to make moves to get better to compete come the playoffs but there is an inherent risk with anything we do. And while we don't have the top end talent of other teams, we are as deep if not deeper than anyone 1-12 at the forward slot. Boston proved you can with lots of depth and good D/goaltending. I think Poile is shooting for the same thing.

I agree in that we need a top 3 and a gritty defenseman for the third pairing. How we go about getting those pieces is another story. Good post though.
If Suter leaves, there's no one outside of possibly Josi that could step in and replace him, in house. We'd have to sign someone..but...I do get where you're coming from.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:

100% agree with the above post. At this point it is Nut Up of Shut Up time.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:51 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

To take a half-full look at this, his demands are what we've all been screaming about since the summer. That is to build upon last season's post season and add the talent to take it to the next level. He just happens to have the ultimate power to have his voice heard, and this includes possible consequences.

Just maybe, this could all turn out to be a good thing (hopefully).

Old
01-30-2012, 10:22 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:

Poile has to consider everything, and it sounds like Suter knows that when he said we needed "the right piece" not necssarily a superstar....

I hope Poile doesnt trade Ellis or Josi unless its for an asset (like Ryan) as they are our insurance against 6/20 leaving.

It will be interesting to see if there is even a true "home run" player available.. but I am absolutely sure Poile will get somebody....

Old
01-30-2012, 10:37 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
To take a half-full look at this, his demands are what we've all been screaming about since the summer. That is to build upon last season's post season and add the talent to take it to the next level. He just happens to have the ultimate power to have his voice heard, and this includes possible consequences.

Just maybe, this could all turn out to be a good thing (hopefully).
Here's what I don't get.

I was one of the loudest screamers that we needed to do something last summer to improve the team. That said, I had no idea who Craig Smith was, was ready to give up on Colin Wilson, had no idea how good Ellis/Josi were, didn't know if we'd pony up bucks to Rinne, etc, etc, etc. I'm happily eating a little crow on that.

With the young core that's only going to get better, the best goalie on the planet locked up - how can Suter/Weber not see that this team has improved and will be a contender for a long time?

Is the only way to show commitment to winning to go out and throw $$$'s at UFA's who have a hit/miss ratio of about 50/50?

With Weber/Suter signed for, say, 4 years - playing in front of Rinne, and with the continuing growth of our younger players and some choice acquisitions (not necessarily throwing huge wads at Parise, but smart additions to the forward core) - I can't guarantee a cup, but there won't be anyone in the NHL who will be a bigger contender.

Do we have more faith in our team than our Captain/Assistant Captain?

And I don't see how Suter can't see that his not signing (if he's truly interested in resigning - I have my doubts) hamstrings this team from doing the things he wants to see. You can't acquire the big time talent without gutting the farm, you can't gut the farm without locking down your foundation players. Not to mention the odds of any really high impact player truly being on the market (Iginla, Parise, Ryan) are slim anyway.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
And I don't see how Suter can't see that his not signing (if he's truly interested in resigning - I have my doubts) hamstrings this team from doing the things he wants to see. You can't acquire the big time talent without gutting the farm, you can't gut the farm without locking down your foundation players. Not to mention the odds of any really high impact player truly being on the market (Iginla, Parise, Ryan) are slim anyway.
That's a very good point. Didn't think about it that way. Although I don't think guys like Josi/Ellis would be in play even with Suter signed, it certainly does limit Poiles options now that he has to have a backup plan in place if Suter decides to test FA.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:46 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Here's what I don't get.

I was one of the loudest screamers that we needed to do something last summer to improve the team. That said, I had no idea who Craig Smith was, was ready to give up on Colin Wilson, had no idea how good Ellis/Josi were, didn't know if we'd pony up bucks to Rinne, etc, etc, etc. I'm happily eating a little crow on that.

With the young core that's only going to get better, the best goalie on the planet locked up - how can Suter/Weber not see that this team has improved and will be a contender for a long time?

Is the only way to show commitment to winning to go out and throw $$$'s at UFA's who have a hit/miss ratio of about 50/50?

With Weber/Suter signed for, say, 4 years - playing in front of Rinne, and with the continuing growth of our younger players and some choice acquisitions (not necessarily throwing huge wads at Parise, but smart additions to the forward core) - I can't guarantee a cup, but there won't be anyone in the NHL who will be a bigger contender.

This is where a different debate opens up. Are we really that much better than last year? Personally, I believe, Rinne is the reason why the record is THAT good. And Rinne is fantastic, but you can't rely that much on your goalie come playoff time, and expect to reach the conference finals. I do think we need to add a couple of pieces to ensure we're not (quoting I believe BTN...) once again a speed bump on the way to the finals.

Old
01-30-2012, 11:03 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Here's what I don't get.

I agree with pretty much everything in this post.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 11:11 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Here's what I don't get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
That's a very good point. Didn't think about it that way. Although I don't think guys like Josi/Ellis would be in play even with Suter signed, it certainly does limit Poiles options now that he has to have a backup plan in place if Suter decides to test FA.
I have been making these points all along. Its a "you show me" "no you show me" situation.

I hope poile is aggressive, but not foolish.

Old
01-30-2012, 12:28 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Here's my take on Suter's All-Star game comments.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:01 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Well put.

If the owners have opened up the checkbook, there should be no issue at the deadline picking up a piece or two and in the off season signing Suter and Weber. If pursestrings remain tight, we can't afford them and we need to move on.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:08 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Our rep is killing us!!!

If Polie doesnt bring someone reasonable ( not a rental, or if a rental then resign him by the end of the regular), bye-bye ....

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:17 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

And here's Kevin Allen's take on it as well. Well worth the read.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:29 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Rose Please

Back to the Rose. The drama is building as Ryan narrows his choices down. Smashville, his long time girl, wants to get hitched in the worst way. These other girls are the “evil women with painted faces” your mother warned you about when you were growing up, Ryan.
The other girls are from bigger cities, wealthier families, and are much more famous. They may whisper sweet nothings into your ear, but nobody will love you like we do. They want you because of what you’ve become. We love you because we grew up together. We’ve experienced everything in NHL life for the first time, together. We loved you when you weren’t “Ryan Suter- Stud All-Star”. And we’ll stick by you, no matter what. You listen to the wrong voices and stray, and then don’t produce a great levels and win a Cup, they will turn on you and go after the next golden boy.
See what happened when you went to the Big City (Ottawa) and got seduced by all those microphones. You tried to answer everyone’s questions honestly (like you were brought up to do here in Nashville) and they twisted and turned your words. That’s just the beginning if you choose one of these Big City Girls.
So now you can’t commit because it’ll be a distraction. Ryan, us coming to terms on our relationship isn’t a distraction. The distraction is postponing the commitment and having to ward off temptation, deal with daily questions, and potentially losing the trust between us.
We know you’re confused. You’re making it all too complicated. You want to make sure Smashville is committed to being the best, for you and the city. We are. Take the plunge. Think how good it will feel to commit to the one you know the best, the one who knows you the best, the one you can grow old with.
Oh Ryan, by the way, you know us as the sweetest partner you’ve ever had. Never had a bad word for you. Always on your side. We’ve laid it out for you. We’re giving you everything you’re asking for. If you string us along until after the season, and we stay together all during that time because we believe in you so much, and then you dump us for one of those Ho’s, you will be dead to us.
No screaming, no violence, no scenes. We will walk away, take our draft picks, and it’ll be like you never existed. We’ll be beyond being friends. That can’t happen. We’re friends with Kimmo, and Harts, and Vokie. With you, nothing. Cut off. It’s all or nothing.
So be the guy we know you to be. Hand us the rose and lets win three cups over the term of your next contract. We’ll rename 5th avenue, Suter Street.
In your heart, you know we’re right for each other. Stop fighting it and trying to be something other people want you to be.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:10 PM
preds1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Should we keep Suter for a playoff run or trade Suter at the deadline to get pieces that may be helpful in the future?

You decide!
Keep Suter; we'll definitely need him in the playoffs, let alone just to make the playoffs. (it's not a given with tight standings)
If he walks.....then he walks. Can't say Poile didn't try.
The monies set aside for him will be used elsewhere (future pieces).

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by preds1 View Post
Keep Suter; we'll definitely need him in the playoffs, let alone just to make the playoffs. (it's not a given with tight standings)
If he walks.....then he walks. Can't say Poile didn't try.
The monies set aside for him will be used elsewhere (future pieces).
Agreed. Defiantly keep him for the playoffs. At very least, if no roster move is made at the deadline, we could go deep into the playoffs possibly changing Suter's stance on how good this team really is.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote