HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

ESPN's (John Buccigross') Top 100 Current Players In The NHL- 4 Kings Ranked Overall

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2012, 10:07 PM
  #26
Scottkmlps
Moderator
 
Scottkmlps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
I can't stand Buccigross on SportsCenter. "Number 4 Bobby Orr." Ugh.

But he's the only one on ESPN that cares about hockey so that's a positive.
Too bad his knowledge of the sport is on the level with the entire ESPN brain trust.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:26 PM
  #27
fyrescorp
Registered User
 
fyrescorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
He'll be the next Ray Bourque by the time it's all said and done. I'm not worried one bit about him.
I kinda hope he's not the next "Ray Bourque" for the only reason he had to go to another team to win the SC.

fyrescorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:06 PM
  #28
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied
 
Rorschach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 5,300
vCash: 500
The list is pretty bad...one way to tell is taking a guy higher than another under-rated guy and doing a pretend trade.

Like I'll gladly trade away #49 Matt Moulson for #70 Milan Lucic.

LOL

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:06 AM
  #29
Willard
Kings All The Way
 
Willard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Just Off Highway 1
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
After the stunt he pulled this week, I hope Thomas doesn't even get asked to represent this country.
What an atrocious comment.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 03:40 PM
  #30
Scrivezina
Who needs offense?
 
Scrivezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RSM, CA
Posts: 1,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
What an atrocious comment.
Nah, just an opinion.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:50 PM
  #31
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 10,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
Nah, just an opinion.
What did Thomas say?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 06:39 PM
  #32
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 8,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
What did Thomas say?
It isn't so much what he said, it is what he did.. err.. didn't do.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...GINQ_blog.html

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 06:43 PM
  #33
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 8,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
On the flipside to that article, you aren't paying that contract either, the Kings are.

People have a right to be critical I guess, but there's a difference in being critical and just slamming a guy by calling him "fat" "lazy" etc.
Well, I do pay for tickets to games so I'm paying him indirectly. Regardless, when players sign a big contract, there are expectations from fans, media and management. Remember when Jeremy Roenick came to the Kings? The fans overwhelmingly were let down and had every right to be critical of his performance. It comes with the territory. That is why they get paid the big bucks and my fat ass doesn't.

I'm not calling him fat or lazy. I'm calling him overpaid. And he is.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:51 PM
  #34
BringTheReign
Registered User
 
BringTheReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 2,143
vCash: 500
I bet Moulson will give Quick crap that he is ahead of him on that list, despite the load of BS that it is.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:07 AM
  #35
jonrazor12
Palffy for President
 
jonrazor12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
After the stunt he pulled this week, I hope Thomas doesn't even get asked to represent this country.
He snubbed any and all politicians he would have met during his visit to the white house and I respect him for that. The united states is a great country and is being destroyed from within by our own government. He is proud to be a American but does not respect the people in office right now. I have to agree with him.

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:07 AM
  #36
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Well, I do pay for tickets to games so I'm paying him indirectly. Regardless, when players sign a big contract, there are expectations from fans, media and management. Remember when Jeremy Roenick came to the Kings? The fans overwhelmingly were let down and had every right to be critical of his performance. It comes with the territory. That is why they get paid the big bucks and my fat ass doesn't.

I'm not calling him fat or lazy. I'm calling him overpaid. And he is.
Yes you do, but if you don't someone still has to pay that contract. See my point?

Back on point, I was referring to your last post, which quoted someone referring to people calling him fat and lazy and the like. You want to say he's overpaid, fine. I just don't see how we as fans get to go on a public forum and slam someone for their weight or their effort when the same wouldn't hold true if I said the same about someone else, like you for example. You'd be angry, and rightfully so. If you signed a $2 million per year contract, that doesn't give me the right to go overboard and post derogatory comments about you (regardless of whether it'd bother you or not).

I'm sorry, but I refuse to agree that the size of someone's paycheque is in direct proportion with how much ridicule and namecalling we are permitted to sling their way.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:09 AM
  #37
Capn Brown
Registered User
 
Capn Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Damn, so many players in the top 50 on this list could have been Kings....


Moulson, if DL had realized the potential.

Giroux, if DL had drafted him instead of Lewis.

Gaborik, if DL had agreed to Gaborik's contract demands.

Kane, if we had won the draft lottery.

Parise, if DT had drafted him instead of Brown.

Perry, if DT had drafted him instead of either Boyle or Tambellini.



Does it all come down to luck?

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:11 AM
  #38
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
He snubbed any and all politicians he would have met during his visit to the white house and I respect him for that. The united states is a great country and is being destroyed from within by our own government. He is proud to be a American but does not respect the people in office right now. I have to agree with him.
Yeah this mostly (speaking as a Canadian, so just my outside opinion. Not meaning any insult by it).

The only problem I had with Thomas and what he did is I thought it would have been better if he came out a week or so ahead of time and said something about him not going to the White House. By not announcing it until the day of, it took away a lot of the attention from his teammates and turned a positive things partly negative. If he would have come out ahead of the White House visit, it would have given the media a few days to feed on it like they did and likely would have died down somewhat prior to the rest of the Bruins going their.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:15 AM
  #39
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Damn, so many players in the top 50 on this list could have been Kings....


Moulson, if DL had realized the potential.

Giroux, if DL had drafted him instead of Lewis.

Gaborik, if DL had agreed to Gaborik's contract demands.

Kane, if we had won the draft lottery.

Parise, if DT had drafted him instead of Brown.

Perry, if DT had drafted him instead of either Boyle or Tambellini.



Does it all come down to luck?
Doesn't that apply to all teams? How many teams could have drafted Giroux? Or Perry? Or Parise? Other teams could have won the Kane lottery.

And how does Moulson even belong in the top 50?

It's not all woe is me when it comes to the Kings.

Personally, I'm glad we don't have Perry (not a fan of his attitude) and I'm honored to have Brown as a King. He also signed a nice contract for this team, not trying to get every penny out of a nearly bankrupt team like Parise.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:25 AM
  #40
Capn Brown
Registered User
 
Capn Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Doesn't that apply to all teams?
Sort of. AIUI, Gaborik actually wanted to be here. Same with Moulson.



Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
....not trying to get every penny out of a nearly bankrupt team like Parise.
Whoa, is that what Parise's trying to do? And if so, is it really Parise's fault the team is nearly bankrupt? I really don't see Parise as the "bad guy" in the New Jersey saga. Part of it is the economy, while the other part is lack of long-term planning on management's part.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:35 AM
  #41
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Damn, so many players in the top 50 on this list could have been Kings....


Moulson, if DL had realized the potential.

Giroux, if DL had drafted him instead of Lewis.

Gaborik, if DL had agreed to Gaborik's contract demands.

Kane, if we had won the draft lottery.

Parise, if DT had drafted him instead of Brown.

Perry, if DT had drafted him instead of either Boyle or Tambellini.



Does it all come down to luck?


Everyone can play this game. How many teams go, man, we could have had Kopitar, for example? 10

This list is just crazy stupid. Some of it I have to just laugh out loud at. Not too shabby to have 4 Kings on the list though.

Speaking of Thomas, not to get into it since it has to do with politics, but I don't give a rats ass what Thomas thinks of Obama or the government. You go as a team who won the cup. Period. End of story. It is a TEAM event that he needed to be there for. Do you really think every player who won it through the Bush years supported him as President? Nope, but they went because it's an honor to be invited to the White House, especially as an American.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 11:17 AM
  #42
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post

Whoa, is that what Parise's trying to do? And if so, is it really Parise's fault the team is nearly bankrupt? I really don't see Parise as the "bad guy" in the New Jersey saga. Part of it is the economy, while the other part is lack of long-term planning on management's part.
Not saying Parise is the bad guy at all, and it is most definately not his fault NJ is in financial trouble. But there's more ways to look at a situation than "woe is us, we could have had Parise instead of Brown"

If we had Parise right now, for all we know this board would be full of woe is us, Parise is leaving July 1st type threads. Instead we have Brown and there is threads about us trying to bring Parise here. Doubtful it happens IMO, but ok with the positive talk.

I'm quite glad we got Brown in that draft and I wouldn't take that back at all, not even for Parise.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 11:29 AM
  #43
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 8,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Yes you do, but if you don't someone still has to pay that contract. See my point?

Back on point, I was referring to your last post, which quoted someone referring to people calling him fat and lazy and the like. You want to say he's overpaid, fine. I just don't see how we as fans get to go on a public forum and slam someone for their weight or their effort when the same wouldn't hold true if I said the same about someone else, like you for example. You'd be angry, and rightfully so. If you signed a $2 million per year contract, that doesn't give me the right to go overboard and post derogatory comments about you (regardless of whether it'd bother you or not).

I'm sorry, but I refuse to agree that the size of someone's paycheque is in direct proportion with how much ridicule and namecalling we are permitted to sling their way.
One of her first sentences in that post said "It's more that people lump him in overrated and overpaid category now". That is what I was responding to and even mentioned it my post. But I really don't care if people want to call him fat or lazy. That is their perogative. All i care about is how he plays.

If I was getting paid league minimum, I couldn't care less what some idiots on a message board write. I'd be laughing all the way to the bank. In fact, I don't make $500k a year and you can still say whatever you'd like about me as long as long as it doesn't violate the sites "rules". Hey maybe Drew should sign up here so people can't call him names anymore?

The bottom line, when you are in the public eye, especially with professional sports, you are susceptible to criticism from everyone. It comes with the territory. When a guy gets paid $7m and his conditioning has come into question in the past, it is something people expect to improve and be at an elite level since he is getting paid like it. He is a professional. Anything less than being in superior condition is unacceptable. I'm not saying his conditioning is the reason for his play because I really have no clue what his condition is. I don't get paid $7m a year to play a sport so making a comparison to myself is a bit ridiculous. We all get evaluated on our performance at our jobs whether you are a cook at McDonald's or you are a CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Sometimes it is by our bosses, our peers and our customers.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 11:43 AM
  #44
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
One of her first sentences in that post said "It's more that people lump him in overrated and overpaid category now". That is what I was responding to and even mentioned it my post. But I really don't care if people want to call him fat or lazy. That is their perogative. All i care about is how he plays.
Then that's fine, as I said before. I have more issue with people referring to a player in clearly degrogatory terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
If I was getting paid league minimum, I couldn't care less what some idiots on a message board write. I'd be laughing all the way to the bank. In fact, I don't make $500k a year and you can still say whatever you'd like about me as long as long as it doesn't violate the sites "rules". Hey maybe Drew should sign up here so people can't call him names anymore?
Doesn't address my point. I don't care if you don't care about someone calling you a name. There's difference between that and people being allowed to do it. Like I said before, why should someone's paycheque dictate the level of verbal abuse they recieve? It shouldn't and to insinuate that it should is a double-standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
The bottom line, when you are in the public eye, especially with professional sports, you are susceptible to criticism from everyone. It comes with the territory. When a guy gets paid $7m and his conditioning has come into question in the past, it is something people expect to improve and be at an elite level since he is getting paid like it. He is a professional. Anything less than being in superior condition is unacceptable. I'm not saying his conditioning is the reason for his play because I really have no clue what his condition is. I don't get paid $7m a year to play a sport so making a comparison to myself is a bit ridiculous. We all get evaluated on our performance at our jobs whether you are a cook at McDonald's or you are a CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Sometimes it is by our bosses, our peers and our customers.
The first part I agree with. Critisism is fine. It's what we do, and yes we can be critical as fans. Making a comparision between you and a $7 million athlete is not ridculous however. If you were working the till at MacDonald's and a customer got angry with your job performance and called you a lazy, fat son of a ***** are you going to stand there and tell yourself "Hey, he's the customer, he's right to say that to me?" I doubt it, and you shouldn't have to. You call in the manager and he (should) ban the person from the restaurant if they don't change their attitude. If it gets bad enough in terms of verbal abuse, the police can be called and people have been sued over it.

But once you get millions, that changes?

It's not ok for someone to go on-line and call you slanderous names, but if you are a multi-million dollar athlete, it is suddenly exceptable?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:32 PM
  #45
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 8,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
The first part I agree with. Critisism is fine. It's what we do, and yes we can be critical as fans. Making a comparision between you and a $7 million athlete is not ridculous however. If you were working the till at MacDonald's and a customer got angry with your job performance and called you a lazy, fat son of a ***** are you going to stand there and tell yourself "Hey, he's the customer, he's right to say that to me?" I doubt it, and you shouldn't have to. You call in the manager and he (should) ban the person from the restaurant if they don't change their attitude. If it gets bad enough in terms of verbal abuse, the police can be called and people have been sued over it.

But once you get millions, that changes?

It's not ok for someone to go on-line and call you slanderous names, but if you are a multi-million dollar athlete, it is suddenly exceptable?
There is no double standard. Who here is calling Drew a fatty to his face? Last time I checked they are doing it on the internet and my guess is Drew really doesn't give a ****. Like I said, go over to Yelp and look for one star reviews and you'll see people doing the same thing to fry cooks, clerks at the dry cleaners, you name it. It has nothing to do with paychecks. It has to do with the anonymity of the internet.

And lighten up a little, most of the time people are calling Drew fat are calling him that in jest. I doubt anyone here thinks he is really fat and if so, I'd like to see what condition they are in. Drew isn't "fat" by any stretch of the imganation but that doesn't mean he is in elite physical condition which he should with that contract he signed.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:52 PM
  #46
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
There is no double standard. Who here is calling Drew a fatty to his face? Last time I checked they are doing it on the internet and my guess is Drew really doesn't give a ****. Like I said, go over to Yelp and look for one star reviews and you'll see people doing the same thing to fry cooks, clerks at the dry cleaners, you name it. It has nothing to do with paychecks. It has to do with the anonymity of the internet.

And lighten up a little, most of the time people are calling Drew fat are calling him that in jest. I doubt anyone here thinks he is really fat and if so, I'd like to see what condition they are in. Drew isn't "fat" by any stretch of the imganation but that doesn't mean he is in elite physical condition which he should with that contract he signed.
I am lightened up. Frankly, I don't really care that much at all (once in a while, but whatever). I was more having a discussion based on the issue and the principle behind it.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:10 PM
  #47
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 8,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I am lightened up. Frankly, I don't really care that much at all (once in a while, but whatever). I was more having a discussion based on the issue and the principle behind it.
That is fine but it is fairly innocuous issue. It actually kinda amazes me that people get defensive over people they don't even know being called a name.

On a side note, someone on here called me a name once so I responded by referring to that person as "princess" to which that person threatened to beat me up at a game. It shouldn't take much guessing to who that person is but I gave them my section and row but they never showed up. I would never get in a physical altercation with somebody over words. That is what 5 year olds do.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:38 PM
  #48
Martyros
Registered User
 
Martyros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Holly Hood
Country: Armenia
Posts: 5,277
vCash: 500
Just to point out, Tim Thomas didn't take the trip not because he's a bad American, but because he is a good American; How in the world would someone suggest that he shouldn't even be asked to join USA in the Olympics is beyond me.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:39 PM
  #49
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
That is fine but it is fairly innocuous issue. It actually kinda amazes me that people get defensive over people they don't even know being called a name.

On a side note, someone on here called me a name once so I responded by referring to that person as "princess" to which that person threatened to beat me up at a game. It shouldn't take much guessing to who that person is but I gave them my section and row but they never showed up. I would never get in a physical altercation with somebody over words. That is what 5 year olds do.
I actually was threatened on here too once. Several years ago, but it was by someone who later became a mod (no long is one though).

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:48 PM
  #50
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 8,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Just to point out, Tim Thomas didn't take the trip not because he's a bad American, but because he is a good American; How in the world would someone suggest that he shouldn't even be asked to join USA in the Olympics is beyond me.
There are a lot people in this country that feel like if somebody doesn't share their opinion or they don't walk in line with the status quo they are bad people when in reality that is what our country is supposed to be about. If dissent is frowned upon in a free society, we might as well have a dictatorship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I actually was threatened on here too once. Several years ago, but it was by someone who later became a mod (no long is one though).
Yeah it is crazy that somebody would want to fight somebody over words and especially over words that were written by an anonymous person on the internet.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.