HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Andrei Markov Thread

Old
01-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Maxpac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Shoulda re-signed the Wiz.
This. Wizniewski was way more fiestier than Markov and had amazing chemistry with Subban on the power play. Not only are we a d-man short, but Subban has not been the same (offensively) since he left.

Oh, and **** Hamrlik. He sucked last year and sucks even more this season. Hamrlik in the line-up would of ment no Emelin.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
yah a 5.5 millions for 2 goals 17 pts in 28 games (-18) (3rd worst)
Let me explain something.

For the past 4 seasons, the Habs have acquired, midway through the season, a defenseman, mostly to power up the PP. Each year prior to this one, said player was a major factor in us making the playoffs.

Schneider cost a 2nd (I believe we got a third in return too).

MAB was signed as an FA.

Wisniewski was acquired for a second round pick.

See a pattern? Guess what, we traded a serviceable player on an expiring contract for a handcuffing 3-year deal. Except this time, we're a longshot at making the playoffs.

How incompetent can you be to repeat the same mistake each and every year?

The best part is that this time, Markov was coming off a major injury. Re-signing Wiz was the obvious move to make. Guess where we are now? Yup, looking from the outside.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I wasn't saying that is the case, the point I was making that it's ultimately not information we're entitled to know. ...

...It's irrelevant what the reason is, the point is that it's ultimately none of our business. ...It's Andrei Markov's injury, he plays for Montreal, it's their business, we as fans aren't entitled to any information surrounding it.
This is totally, 100% wrong. Businesses aren't doing their customers a 'favour' by disclosing important information. We are not only 'entitled' to information, we are owed it. Sports teams are nothing more than faces on the roster. We root for those faces, we buy tickets and merchandise to go watch those faces play, we show up to events to shake hands with that roster of faces, we get autographs and pictures of those faces. The Habs make all their money from how well that roster of faces is sold to us. So they cannot pretend that those faces instantly become invisible and off-limits because it's inconvenient. Hiding one of those faces away in secrecy is not only bad marketing, it's insulting to the very people who have bought the product based on those faces.

Very simply: Ignore your customers and you lose them. And please spare me the old cliche about how fans will always, always remain loyal to the Habs. Loyalty alone does not keep a business alive. Liking the Habs counts for zero unless it translates to tickets and merchandise. People just like me will continue to buy tickets and spend money only IF we feel the team is doing its best to win and respond to our needs as customers. If you screwed up with Markov, admit it and come clean. I forgive a restaurant that mixes up my order if they're forthright, I'll forgive the Habs as well.

But treat me like I don't exist and, guess what -- my dollars won't exist shortly after.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Let me explain something.

For the past 4 seasons, the Habs have acquired, midway through the season, a defenseman, mostly to power up the PP. Each year prior to this one, said player was a major factor in us making the playoffs.

Schneider cost a 2nd (I believe we got a third in return too).

MAB was signed as an FA.

Wisniewski was acquired for a second round pick.

See a pattern? Guess what, we traded a serviceable player on an expiring contract for a handcuffing 3-year deal. Except this time, we're a longshot at making the playoffs.

How incompetent can you be to repeat the same mistake each and every year?

The best part is that this time, Markov was coming off a major injury. Re-signing Wiz was the obvious move to make. Guess where we are now? Yup, looking from the outside.
yep

Markov injury is a serie of bad luck (IMO)

I dont think that the habs wouldve been able to sign Wiz and Markov

The actual situation make it easy to decide between Markov and Wiz.
Markov is better than Wiz in general

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:25 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
a friend of mine who goes to the same doctor as Markov said that the doctor told him Markov is done for hockey.

take it or leave it.
Since patient confidentiality is one of the most important principles in the field of medicine, specially when doing small talks with your other patients, I kinda doubt it.

What would you think if your priest started babbling about other people's confessions and assure you "but don't worry, yours is confidential".

A squealer is a squealer. I'd never trust a doc who tattletaled. And the docs know it.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:36 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
a friend of mine who goes to the same doctor as Markov said that the doctor told him Markov is done for hockey.

take it or leave it.
Need to report this to the collège des Medecins du Québec
Its unacceptable to see this lack of work ethic

I'm baffled about this

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:40 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
So much for Patient confidentiality and the Hippocratic oath
seriously. I think I've heard rumours (aka "facts") from at least 12 patients that share the same doctor. This dude is really shootin' the **** with everyone. I guess he thinks, this in Montreal, what could go wrong? Who are they gonna tell?

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:58 PM
habsrock76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
This. Wizniewski was way more fiestier than Markov and had amazing chemistry with Subban on the power play. Not only are we a d-man short, but Subban has not been the same (offensively) since he left.

Oh, and **** Hamrlik. He sucked last year and sucks even more this season. Hamrlik in the line-up would of ment no Emelin.
I argued for Wiz over Markov in the summer and got flamed for it. Too many were arguing with their hearts instead of their heads.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:10 PM
overlords
Hfboards

If you're just here to spam with stupid posts, don't bother. You'll be removed from the thread. The 'witty' "lulz where's markov" posts got old before the season even started. Now it's just annoying and helps bury the posts of people who actually want to seriously discuss a topic. This goes for other threads as well.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Patty Roy

The past 2 summer's have given Gauthier 2 major decisions to make..neither one of them particularly easy at the time.

Love the fact that he decided to keep Price over Halak. We will never know if Eller was the best we could have done for Halak, but all in all i'm quite pleased with how he handled that decision.

The other one was obviously the Markov situation. Do we re-sign Wiz? Sign Markov? Or let them both go and go for a Kaberle or similar on the UFA market. Right now this one is looking like a disaster. Markov doesn't seem to be progressing, and i'm not holding out much hope that he will retire even a day before those 3 years are up.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:24 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
The past 2 summer's have given Gauthier 2 major decisions to make..neither one of them particularly easy at the time.

Love the fact that he decided to keep Price over Halak. We will never know if Eller was the best we could have done for Halak, but all in all i'm quite pleased with how he handled that decision.

The other one was obviously the Markov situation. Do we re-sign Wiz? Sign Markov? Or let them both go and go for a Kaberle or similar on the UFA market. Right now this one is looking like a disaster. Markov doesn't seem to be progressing, and i'm not holding out much hope that he will retire even a day before those 3 years are up.
I agree, at least its only a 3 year deal and not a 15 year DiPietro deal.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
I agree, at least its only a 3 year deal and not a 15 year DiPietro deal.
it may only be 3 years but they were counting on him so badly. When healthy he is arguable our MVP along with Price. They counted on him too much and didnt have a back up plan at all.

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:

I'm baffled about this
To be fair, the true story is most likely "He went to see his doctor who is also a friend. Said doctor also knows a few surgeons, and talking to them, they concluded that because of the nature of the injury, the frequency and the multiple set backs, medically speaking, he might not play hockey again. No one has any sort of first hand knowledge on the matter."

That story then became "My doctor also treats Markov and told me..."

Last edited by Max et Guillaume: 01-30-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Lions999

Wiz is injury prone also...

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:33 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

I'm baffled about this
Me too. So much so that I do not believe a single word of it.

There is approximately a 0.00001% chance that "Markov's Doctor" would jeopardize his license to practice in Quebec by violating probably his most high-profile patient's right to confidentiality.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:52 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
it's not a surprise because Gauthier said he would be back on the ice after the break not that he will play
My point is that PG is so vague with his timelines that he could be referring to a timeline between now (post ASG) and the end of Markov's contract.

Quote:
I don't get why people get up in arms about Markov. The probability of him ever returning is slim. He has been out over 15 months. Obviously the knee has not responded. Why worry about it. I'm willing to bet he will retire at years end
They should throw Markov and PG a double-retirment party. PG's portion would be more of a GTFO Party but it's a "2 birds with one stone" type of thing. The Habs really need to save money with all the cash PG has lost for this team.

Quote:
So much for Patient confidentiality and the Hippocratic oath
Hahaha and Markov's lawyer told me he's putting each pay check into an undisclosed Swiss bank account after he robbed PG blind.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 01-30-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: merge
The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:22 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I find it funny how fans feel entitled to know every detail or any details about Markov's injury. Maybe they don't want cheap shot artists like Cooke knowing something that could end Markov's career? I really don't know their reasoning but I find it irrelevant, all we need to know is whether or not he's coming back. Thus far they've told us he'd be back but isn't ready yet. He isn't skating so if that isn't a big enough hint soon isn't when he'll be back, I don't know what is. Would it be more obvious he isn't coming back if PG held a weekly presser to state the obvious?

Fans and media act entitled to know details about the injury, truth is they're entitled to know nothing.
Yeah, it's a big secret to Matt Cooke that Markov has a knee injury. If we don't talk about it, all the cheap shot artists might forget why he has barely played in 3 years, but somehow I doubt it. Please be reasonable.

I find it funny that other posters tell me what I am allowed to be concerned with. lol. As a business, it's good practice to keep your customers informed. Being secretive only leads to speculation. The paying customers are paying for a service that they are not being updated on, no one is saying to make a time of return, but a 3 minute blurb on how the surgery went wouldn't be too much to ask. Instead we don't even get a mention of how or what our best player is feeling after his umpteenth surgery.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:26 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
This is totally, 100% wrong. Businesses aren't doing their customers a 'favour' by disclosing important information. We are not only 'entitled' to information, we are owed it. Sports teams are nothing more than faces on the roster. We root for those faces, we buy tickets and merchandise to go watch those faces play, we show up to events to shake hands with that roster of faces, we get autographs and pictures of those faces. The Habs make all their money from how well that roster of faces is sold to us. So they cannot pretend that those faces instantly become invisible and off-limits because it's inconvenient. Hiding one of those faces away in secrecy is not only bad marketing, it's insulting to the very people who have bought the product based on those faces.

Very simply: Ignore your customers and you lose them. And please spare me the old cliche about how fans will always, always remain loyal to the Habs. Loyalty alone does not keep a business alive. Liking the Habs counts for zero unless it translates to tickets and merchandise. People just like me will continue to buy tickets and spend money only IF we feel the team is doing its best to win and respond to our needs as customers. If you screwed up with Markov, admit it and come clean. I forgive a restaurant that mixes up my order if they're forthright, I'll forgive the Habs as well.

But treat me like I don't exist and, guess what -- my dollars won't exist shortly after.
Agreed, die hards like us are likely not much concern, but there are fringe fans who will go elsewhere. It's a complete and total lack of respect for it's paying customers.

It's like paying service for Cable and your favorite channel going missing and you having no right to know when the service you are paying for will be back. The idea that the fans are just a bunch of minions that need to know nothing is utterly ridiculous.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Moves Like Jagr

Markov skated alone today for 15 minutes and RC says Markov is a ways away. I'm guessing we won't be seeing the general back this season but that's just my opinion. Kind of disheartening to hear that especially after reports saying he would be back after the all star break but kind of expected with the lack of news on the guy recently.

Moves Like Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:39 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moves Like Jagr View Post
Markov skated alone today for 15 minutes and RC says Markov is a ways away. I'm guessing we won't be seeing the general back this season but that's just my opinion. Kind of disheartening to hear that especially after reports saying he would be back after the all star break but kind of expected with the lack of news on the guy recently.
Am I to assume that what PG told us at the beginning of December was incorrect? I'm shocked.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Am I to assume that what PG told us at the beginning of December was incorrect? I'm shocked.
You mean since the day he signed him and then the golf tournament and so on

Anyways like I said, at this point the Habs should really consider shutting him down for the year and not rush him back just to get another freak injury. Markov will not save this hockey team this year, get healthy work out hard all summer and hope for a great and healthy season next year

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:54 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

The sooner he gets back on the ice for a game the better whether it's tomorrow (I know it won't be), next week or next month. I'd rather see him on the ice this year yet so the Habs have some inkling of what they even have anymore in this player.

Why the heck worry about another injury and rest? Geez he's had plenty of rest I'm sure. The sooner he gets in some kind of game shape the better. The amount of hockey he's played the last 3 years is scary. TBH I think another injury is almost inevitable whether it be a knee or something else.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:35 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
He didn't really lie next season is still after the All Star break lol.

Man I hate being right about things especially when I get raked across the coals and told I know nothing about what he is dealing with etc I mean it isn';t like I have dealt with the same injury and had the same type of personelle available to me oh wait yes I have and yes I did lol.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Shoulda re-signed the Wiz.
It's easy to say in hindsight.

Had we let Markov walk and he has 35-40 points at this point on another team and Wisniewski makes about the same money but is in and out of the lineup and injured twice, we would hear the "I told you so's".

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
At least it's a step in the right direction. If he is skating you have to assume he's been doing rehab for a few weeks and the leg is pretty strong.

I'd rather have him play a month and see what he can do than go into next year blind.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote