HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marc Staal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2012, 12:27 PM
  #1
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 14,225
vCash: 500
Marc Staal

With the depth the Rangers have on D and the level they played at without Staal for most of the season, would he become available at some point?

Love to have him anchor the Pens second pairing. Guys on a steal of a contract, excellent 1 on 1 defender and has a bit of offense to his game.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:29 PM
  #2
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Can Jordan Staal play left wing?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:30 PM
  #3
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,725
vCash: 300
No, and if he were, he'd be sent West.

BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:30 PM
  #4
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,133
vCash: 500
Mid first.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:33 PM
  #5
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchbot 3000 View Post
Mid first.
The player drafted at that position would dream to have as good a career as Staal has thus far. Not to mention Staal was around a mid-first, but has drastically exceeded expectations in his career. A draft pick that isn't in the top 5 would be a bad deal for the Rangers.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:33 PM
  #6
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 14,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
No, and if he were, he'd be sent West.
Just a hypothetical. But Staal+ for Ryan?

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:35 PM
  #7
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !
 
x BEUKEBOOM x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY Rangerville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,334
vCash: 500
The OP was in response to a half hearted proposal I made in the GLeason signing thread.

Seems the Gleason NTC doesn't kick in till the contract ext actually starts in July.


Gleason + Ruutu

for

Marc Staal.


Seems like equal value. Not to far of a downgrade on D + the LW top 6 depth we lack with a touch of toughness mixed in on both positions heading into the playoffs.


here is my post from the other thread:
Quote:
I cant speak for other NYR fans but I just floated it out there for ha ha's

Considering McDonagh has shown to be almost as good as Staal is defensively and ahead of Staal offensivly in only his 2nd year. Then you have Girardi cementing his place as a reliable defensive D-man with a touch of offense himself. Then we have MDZ a our 1 NHL PMD within the identified "core" players & Erixon who is a ppg AHL Dman who is expected to contribute full time NHL by next season, Sauer who is iffy health wise but a defensive stalwart with toughness, & his eventual replacement in McIlrath who NYR brass is very high on right now believing he is right on path to where they expected him to be. It wouldn't hurt in my eyes to swap Staal for Gleason and upgrade or LW top 6 depth for a run at the cup this year.

I'm not in a rush to off load Staal at all, just looking at it from a "asset" value standpoint.

Staal is a great player for us but our depth is pretty good and Gleason isn't a major step down and our current D got us into 1st place without Staal contributing this year.

Ruuttu + Gleason may be a bit of an overpayment for Staal but the 2 Dman contracts match up and Staal + Staal in CAR is a very attractive marketing tool and who knows what chemistry the two can have together.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:36 PM
  #8
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 15,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Just a hypothetical. But Staal+ for Ryan?
Ryan would likely be the expected caliber of player in return, yes.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:47 PM
  #9
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !
 
x BEUKEBOOM x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY Rangerville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Just a hypothetical. But Staal+ for Ryan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Ryan would likely be the expected caliber of player in return, yes.
Gleason/Ruutu I would be iffy on, but could see the logic.


Staal+ for Bobby Ryan I'd be on board with easily. Aquiring BR with time left on his contract would take the sting out of moving Staal. Given the make up of our team you have to do roll the dice on that move as long as the (+) isn't a "core" player or blue chipper.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:37 PM
  #10
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,119
vCash: 500
Bobby Ryan better be coming back the other way. The Rangers would have to add, obviously, but Sather will not give up one of his assistant/alternate captains and all-star shutdown defenseman for anything less.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:39 PM
  #11
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Exit Dose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x CALLAHAN x View Post
Gleason/Ruutu I would be iffy on, but could see the logic.

Staal+ for Bobby Ryan I'd be on board with easily. Aquiring BR with time left on his contract would take the sting out of moving Staal. Given the make up of our team you have to do roll the dice on that move as long as the (+) isn't a "core" player or blue chipper.
While a healthy Staal would be on our top pairing easily, right now, I just don't see us moving Ryan with a defenseman as a centerpiece. We currently have about 8.8 million tied up in stay-at-home types next season. Staal bumps it up to about 12.8 million. Sbisa and Beauchemin are locked into our top 4 at this point, while being paired up with Fowler and Lubo. Our organization is pretty high on Sbisa, he was the major prospect in the Pronger trade, and we're going to give him the opportunities to keep pushing for more minutes.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:39 PM
  #12
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x CALLAHAN x View Post
The OP was in response to a half hearted proposal I made in the GLeason signing thread.

Seems the Gleason NTC doesn't kick in till the contract ext actually starts in July.


Gleason + Ruutu

for

Marc Staal.


Seems like equal value. Not to far of a downgrade on D + the LW top 6 depth we lack with a touch of toughness mixed in on both positions heading into the playoffs.


here is my post from the other thread:
Tuomo Ruutu is not a significant enough upgrade to justify dealing Marc Staal away for, no matter what anyone says.

It seems that people have forgotten just how good he really is.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:12 PM
  #13
RyanCallahan24*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
With the depth the Rangers have on D and the level they played at without Staal for most of the season, would he become available at some point?

Love to have him anchor the Pens second pairing. Guys on a steal of a contract, excellent 1 on 1 defender and has a bit of offense to his game.
Give us James Neal and a 1st/2nd. Staal is an elite shutdown D. Neal is great but he's contract is expiring if I'm not wrong? Staal has got a low caphit and a few years left on it.


Edit: I wouldn't want to move Staal in the first place. And if we did I would like an elite LW to come back. Ryan or possibly Neal. Him or Bobby Ryan no more, no less. The only reason I would move such a great D as Staal is that we already got a bunch of great young d-men. What we don't have is an elite LW. That would only makes us better. Everyone has stepped up their game this year. I never expected our D to play this good without Staal. Giving up Staal who's a D for an elite LW would only make us better IMO. Although I would still miss Staal. But MDZ, Erixon, McD, Girardi, McIlrath (in the future), Sauer makes us quite set at D. So we could afford it. Add to boot a possible better powerplay and more skills up front never hurts. Which we would get with Ryan or Neal.


Last edited by RyanCallahan24*: 01-30-2012 at 02:21 PM.
RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:44 PM
  #14
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Tuomo Ruutu is not a significant enough upgrade to justify dealing Marc Staal away for, no matter what anyone says.

It seems that people have forgotten just how good he really is.
Change Ruutu to Sutter and it might work... Much rather have Sutter...Ruutu is more physical version of Wolski...when Ruutu ain't putting up points, not that noticeable unless he is playing physical which he doesn't do consistently

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:08 PM
  #15
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 20,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Can Jordan Staal play left wing?
Yes but he's much more effective as a centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
Give us James Neal and a 1st/2nd. Staal is an elite shutdown D. Neal is great but he's contract is expiring if I'm not wrong? Staal has got a low caphit and a few years left on it.


Edit: I wouldn't want to move Staal in the first place. And if we did I would like an elite LW to come back. Ryan or possibly Neal. Him or Bobby Ryan no more, no less. The only reason I would move such a great D as Staal is that we already got a bunch of great young d-men. What we don't have is an elite LW. That would only makes us better. Everyone has stepped up their game this year. I never expected our D to play this good without Staal. Giving up Staal who's a D for an elite LW would only make us better IMO. Although I would still miss Staal. But MDZ, Erixon, McD, Girardi, McIlrath (in the future), Sauer makes us quite set at D. So we could afford it. Add to boot a possible better powerplay and more skills up front never hurts. Which we would get with Ryan or Neal.
Neal's playing a lot of RW these days and while I'd love to have M.Staal on the Pens I wouldn't move Neal or J.Staal to get him, it just doesn't make sense. If I was the Rangers I wouldn't move him right now, McIlrath and Erixon have 13 NHL games between them.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:13 PM
  #16
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 500
Count me among the minority of Rangers fans who would trade Staal. Bottm line is this. Even IF you think Staal is the best shutdown dman in the game, which I'm not saying, the fact is that the Rangers have played a top 5 defensive game all season without him. So even with him, they aren't going to be that much better defensively. I think the potential to win more games comes from dealing from organizational strength, defense, to add to shortcoming, goalscoring. That's before you even consider that Staal commands 25+ minutes of icetime a night, time which his fill ins have been flourishing getting and need to continue getting.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:28 PM
  #17
RyanCallahan24*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Yes but he's much more effective as a centre.



Neal's playing a lot of RW these days and while I'd love to have M.Staal on the Pens I wouldn't move Neal or J.Staal to get him, it just doesn't make sense. If I was the Rangers I wouldn't move him right now, McIlrath and Erixon have 13 NHL games between them.
Okay didn't know he plays RW nowadays.

Well I'd only trade Staal if a great LW came back.

Girardi, McDonagh, Del Zotto, Sauer, Erixon, Woywitka, Eminger, Stralman, Bickel, Valentenko, McIlrath (in a few years) + Lundqvist, Biron. Makes a pretty good defence. Then add our playing style and hardworking guys backchecking like Callahan, Dubinsky etc.

We need goalscoring. We got great defense with some depth.

Bobby Ryan for Staal or we just sign Parise as a UFA (if he becomes one) or just give Kreider a spot next year .

Edit: Wouldn't it be fun to see Jordan and Marc Staal on the same team? Maybe Eric as well in the future haha .

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:48 PM
  #18
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Change Ruutu to Sutter and it might work... Much rather have Sutter...Ruutu is more physical version of Wolski...when Ruutu ain't putting up points, not that noticeable unless he is playing physical which he doesn't do consistently
I agree on Ruutu, but Sutter isn't exactly anything I'd trade Staal for either. We need a pure sniper on the left side. Someone capable of 30+ goals.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:12 PM
  #19
TheYuleGoat
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I agree on Ruutu, but Sutter isn't exactly anything I'd trade Staal for either. We need a pure sniper on the left side. Someone capable of 30+ goals.
Are you possibly hinting at Jussi Jokinen?

TheYuleGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:16 PM
  #20
Kader
Registered User
 
Kader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: C eh N eh D eh
Country: Canada
Posts: 285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
With the depth the Rangers have on D and the level they played at without Staal for most of the season, would he become available at some point?

Love to have him anchor the Pens second pairing. Guys on a steal of a contract, excellent 1 on 1 defender and has a bit of offense to his game.
The Rangers have been playing very well without him, imagine them with him?

He's their cornerstone on Defense, Rangers would never trade him.

Kader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:21 PM
  #21
TOGuy14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
Hasn't New York been even better since Staal came back?

I didn't know he was a guy the Rangers considered even remotely available.

What are their needs? Scoring winger with size a la MacArthur +?

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:29 PM
  #22
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kader View Post
The Rangers have been playing very well without him, imagine them with him?

He's their cornerstone on Defense, Rangers would never trade him.
Thank you for restoring my faith in humanity; sanity still exists.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:51 PM
  #23
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 20,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
Okay didn't know he plays RW nowadays.

Well I'd only trade Staal if a great LW came back.

Girardi, McDonagh, Del Zotto, Sauer, Erixon, Woywitka, Eminger, Stralman, Bickel, Valentenko, McIlrath (in a few years) + Lundqvist, Biron. Makes a pretty good defence. Then add our playing style and hardworking guys backchecking like Callahan, Dubinsky etc.

We need goalscoring. We got great defense with some depth.

Bobby Ryan for Staal or we just sign Parise as a UFA (if he becomes one) or just give Kreider a spot next year .

Edit: Wouldn't it be fun to see Jordan and Marc Staal on the same team? Maybe Eric as well in the future haha .
Neal spent his years in Dallas at LW so shifting back wont be a problem. The top 4 is pretty strong even without Staal but I wouldn't put much faith in guys like Stralman, Bickel, etc come playoff time, imagine if Girardi got injured in the playoffs and that pushed one of the bottom pairing guys into the top 4.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:53 PM
  #24
RyanCallahan24*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kader View Post
The Rangers have been playing very well without him, imagine them with him?

He's their cornerstone on Defense, Rangers would never trade him.
True. We do not want to trade Staal. With that said, our D has been great without him imagine it with him when he is 100% back to his old self. What Rangers needs is an elite LW. Ryan, Parise etc. If we got Ryan for Staal it would be worth it. Our D is so good we could (if we needed to, as the first half of the season has proved) survive without Staal. And a player like Ryan would be filling a gap on the LW we desperately need.

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:04 PM
  #25
GeorgeHamiltonsTan
Registered User
 
GeorgeHamiltonsTan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Thank you for restoring my faith in humanity; sanity still exists.
i second that...

look, because the rangers have far exceeded expectations on the blue line doesnt mean for one second that they are "deep" in the position. they have some kids who could scratch the lineup at some point down the road but when you've got the likes of Bickel, stralman and woywitka being the better option for a 3rd d pairing the last thing you want to do is trade away a proven, dependable dman. trading staal should not be an option...at all.

that said, this is sather we're talking about so ya never know we could wind up getting another washed up euro headcase... yay... cant wait for zherdev part deux

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.