HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Black still preaching patience

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2012, 02:24 PM
  #76
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,061
vCash: 500
Terry Pegula could say tomorrow that Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier will never be fired.

That doesn't mean that they can't do it.

NOBODY knows what's going on behind closed doors down there. Let. Them. Work.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:26 PM
  #77
static80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Terry Pegula could say tomorrow that Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier will never be fired.

That doesn't mean that they can't do it.

NOBODY knows what's going on behind closed doors down there. Let. Them. Work.
Really? You mean they are actually doing work "down there"?
Could have fooled a majority of the fan base, myself included, since I don't see any work going on quite frankly. All I see is the same product we've seen all season.

What are they working on, their golf swings?

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 03:01 PM
  #78
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,704
vCash: 500
The title of Malacaro's article on WGR is a flat out misrepresentation of what Black said as is the OP's quote from it.

For starters Malacaro claims Black's attitude about Regier and Ruff is the same as his attitude towards the players.

Quote:
.....he (Black) once again affirmed his belief in the team's head coach and general manager, as well as the players on the roster.
It isn't.....

Comments about Regier and Ruff....

Quote:
The team president also reiterated that the franchise is standing behind both general manager Darcy Regier and head coach Lindy Ruff. Black gave both men another vote of confidence, saying, “If this was a court reporter I would ask to read back the record on prior answers.” He has previously said that both men are safe in their respective jobs with the team.

Comments on the players....

Quote:
Black struck a similar tone when asked about the “core players” of the franchise. In recent weeks Black has voiced his unwillingness to lumping any players into the category of a core group. The team president said in a very matter of fact way that the term core player is something “that gets thrown around and to me, you know, our commitment is to winning and not to any particular group players that are labeled as a core or not a core.”
How the hell is Black saying they're not committed to any particular players but to winning the same as saying Lindy and Darcy aren't going anywhere?

At no point in the article did Black reafirm his belief in the players like he did with Ruff/Regier.


Also Black is not quoted as saying anything about fans needing to stay patient.

Quote:
Recently owner Terry Pegula was been outspoken in his belief that injuries are the main reason for the Sabres’ struggles since mid-November. Black told us that Pegula, “by his nature, a very patient person…I don’t know that has changed, that he has looked at this year any differently coming up on the one year anniversary of him buying the team.”
Patience may not be what the fan base is clamoring for right now, but that belief does not seem to have changed, and patience is now the key word
All Black said was that Pegula, by nature, was a patient man. Nothing about fans needing to be patient.




John Vogl's article in the Sabresedge blog and his article in Sunday's paper about the back and forth with Black had different titles with much different sentiments than Malacarro's effort. http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...ff-regier.html

Sabresedge blog title ----> "Sabres' president hopes team's struggles lead to future greatness, reiterates support for Ruff, Regier"

Sunday paper ----> "Sabres' Black hints at possible changes among 'core' players"

Both titles are based on things Black actually said. Wheras Malacaro's is not.

It seems to me Malacaro came into his article with a preconceived idea of what he wanted to write and, facts be damned, thats what he was going to write. Its actually Malacaro that keeps saying Black is preaching patience not Black himself.


Not surpringly a segment of posters jumped on this misrepresentation of Black's comments to rant and rave.


Last edited by joshjull: 01-29-2012 at 03:25 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 03:40 PM
  #79
puckish66
Registered User
 
puckish66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
At no point in the article did Black reafirm his belief in the players like he did with Ruff/Regier.
Malacaro's right, but he failed to include the key comment, the one that suggests the Sabres have outstanding players who are, by bad fortune or coincidence, just happening to have their worst seasons all at once. Derek Roy is Mario Lemieux in his worst year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Also Black is not quoted as saying anything about fans needing to stay patient.
No, but again: the writer was there and heard Ted make the comment about "planting the seed of future greatness." That's a clear call for patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Not surpringly a segment of posters jumped on this misrepresentation of Black's comments to rant and rave.
Most of us can read beyond the headline and editorial comments of the writer.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:34 PM
  #80
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Terry Pegula could say tomorrow that Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier will never be fired.

That doesn't mean that they can't do it.

NOBODY knows what's going on behind closed doors down there. Let. Them. Work.
You're right. We should just disregard everything said and go only by action.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:45 PM
  #81
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Ted Black is right about putting the vast majority of the blame on the players. By my point of view, the players are about 66% accountable for this terrible season, and that's DESPITE the injuries. Ruff hasn't turned water into wine, or polished **** into gold, but I only put about 14% of the blame on him. I mean, what else can he do for Leino? Lace his skates? Back rubs? And the other guys, even Myers, have been around long enough to know what's expected of them. He's tried scratching them and it's worked, they respond for awhile, but what exactly could he do? Nothing. Last but not least, 30% goes to Regier who's passion for trying to fit round pegs into square holes as reached it's zenith.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:51 PM
  #82
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!
 
Fly Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Ted Black is right about putting the vast majority of the blame on the players. By my point of view, the players are about 66% accountable for this terrible season, and that's DESPITE the injuries. Ruff hasn't turned water into wine, or polished **** into gold, but I only put about 14% of the blame on him. I mean, what else can he do for Leino? Lace his skates? Back rubs? And the other guys, even Myers, have been around long enough to know what's expected of them. He's tried scratching them and it's worked, they respond for awhile, but what exactly could he do? Nothing. Last but not least, 30% goes to Regier who's passion for trying to fit round pegs into square holes as reached it's zenith.
Never passed math class I see.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 05:17 PM
  #83
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,333
vCash: 500
I think it's time for certain posters to accept this season as lost already as I believe the front office has.

*****ing about no trades being made to salvage this trainwreck of a team isn't getting you anywhere. Accept the fact that this team is bad and management will make the moves necessary to pull them into contention, be it at the deadline or during the offseason.

Your pointless crusades against Pegula and Black are tiresome.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 05:32 PM
  #84
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll
 
flyingpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pay the troll toll
Posts: 1,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
Never passed math class I see.
He gives 110% every time

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 06:13 PM
  #85
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles
 
brian_griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Z4QQQ batman symbol
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 6,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
Never passed math class I see.
Makes perfect sense to me - this team has to give 110%, 100% of the time.

edit: Oh, the shame, beaten to an easy retort by flyingpig.

In the interest of not making this a meaningless post, I'll say I don't take offense at Black's analogy to The 4 Best Players to Ever Play the Game. Doak, et al., are correct that, if Darcy is/was instructed to be, or independently planning to be, a seller at the deadline, there's no way he, Darcy, of all people would seek to openly devalue his tradeable assets. OTOH, Black's not going to fool anyone with that remark, and certainly not the other 29 GMs, or the 3 or 4 of those 29 who might actually be interested in trading with him. Smart people say stupid **** from time to time. (With the possible exception of Stephen Hawking, for whom even simple speech is laborious, and therefore, I assume his words are always calculated.)


Last edited by brian_griffin: 01-29-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: didn't scroll down, I deserve the shame.
brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 06:51 PM
  #86
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
He gives 110% every time
exactly! lol

maybe it's 56% the players, 14% coaching, and 30% Darcy! All I know is that most of it goes to the players, guys like Roy, Boyes, Stafford, Myers, Ennis, Leino, and more. They have sucked. Vanek is in a funk now too. The rookies and support players like Gaustad and Gerbe have not picked up any slack. Yeah there's been injuries but when they are playing they have not been good enough. Nobody wants to pick up the slack.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:07 PM
  #87
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
exactly! lol

maybe it's 56% the players, 14% coaching, and 30% Darcy! All I know is that most of it goes to the players, guys like Roy, Boyes, Stafford, Myers, Ennis, Leino, and more. They have sucked. Vanek is in a funk now too. The rookies and support players like Gaustad and Gerbe have not picked up any slack. Yeah there's been injuries but when they are playing they have not been good enough. Nobody wants to pick up the slack.
I'm just curious how you're coming up with these arbitrary numbers. 14%?

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:17 PM
  #88
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 19,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Even if that's the case, I'd still like to hear them say that they're looking at everything. I don't like this side-stepping around anything involving the front office.
It'd be nice to hear it, sure, but the fact that Black isn't saying it to the media doesn't necessarily mean they're not watching Regier / Ruff.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:31 PM
  #89
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles
 
brian_griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Z4QQQ batman symbol
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 6,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
It'd be nice to hear it, sure, but the fact that Black isn't saying it to the media doesn't necessarily mean they're not watching Regier / Ruff.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:02 PM
  #90
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
It'd be nice to hear it, sure, but the fact that Black isn't saying it to the media doesn't necessarily mean they're not watching Regier / Ruff.
Anything's possible at this point, and I'm still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and to give them more time. I'd still like them to follow the approach they're now taking with the players with the entire organization.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:51 PM
  #91
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
You're right. We should just disregard everything said and go only by action.
Talk is cheap.

When a player says 'we have to be better', most people would want them to stop saying it and start doing it? Why should we hold the execs to a different standard?

I don't care what Black says to the media. I almost don't care what he says at all. It's what they DO that tells me what they're thinking. Not the PR/spin comments they give publicly.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:57 PM
  #92
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 19,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Anything's possible at this point, and I'm still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and to give them more time. I'd still like them to follow the approach they're now taking with the players with the entire organization.
Same here. If they keep Regier and Ruff, let it be because there's reasoning perhaps unknown to outsiders that contributes to bringing a cup to Buffalo, not because it's status quo.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 09:15 PM
  #93
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
 
Woodhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,552
vCash: 666
Pominville is also toting the party line with the media.
Quote:
According to the Buffalo News, Adam — doing one of those fun teammate interviews that players will do from time to time — asked Pominville which All-Star he’d pick to join the 26th-place Sabres if he could choose just one.

Pominville’s response? “I don’t know if I’d pick a player. I like our team. I like everybody we have. I like the chemistry we have in our locker room, so I would keep it that way.”
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...o-join-sabres/

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 09:15 PM
  #94
Daz28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,229
vCash: 500
I think it's time for Teddy to turn off the mic. I read the Lemieux, Orr comment to my girlfriend who thinks hockey is played on Saran Wrap, and her jaw dropped. Even the semantics are awful. I'll assume he meant a 'down year', because comparing their worst year to one of our "core players" in his prime is stupid in itself. Comparing apples to rotten apples. Anywho's let's import Gretzky's down year of say 150 points, and we still miss the playoffs, Ted? I'm beginning to wonder if this guy might hang out with Sham-Wow Vince. They both love attention, and seem to talk just to hear themselves talk.

Just to add this point, I'll assume Ted doesn't watch NFL post-game interviews. When a guy is injured, his post-game interview ALWAYS includes, "guys are gonna have to step up".(I know it's used in the NHL too, but it's an NFL staple) THIS, Mr. Black is when you find out what your TEAM is all about, not when all your Gretzky's and Lemiux's are healthy. His(and DR) job is to evaluate talent on a daily basis around this league, so I hope all this nonsense he spews is just a smokescreen.


Last edited by Daz28: 01-29-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 09:22 PM
  #95
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I'm just curious how you're coming up with these arbitrary numbers. 14%?

i got the 14% from a previous post in another thread, so im just trying to stay consistant! lol

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 11:46 AM
  #96
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Malacaro's right, but he failed to include the key comment, the one that suggests the Sabres have outstanding players who are, by bad fortune or coincidence, just happening to have their worst seasons all at once. Derek Roy is Mario Lemieux in his worst year.
What a shocker that you didn't understand Black's point or just chose to ignore it. You also seemed to have missed/ignored the hyperpole he used to make it. Which is surprising considering how often its used on this board.

Its simple. When many of your best players (Roy, Stafford and Miller, etc) are having career worst seasons. You're not going to win many games or make the playoffs. The hyperbole being even the league's best players aren't going to win when they are playing their worst. If you or anyone else actually thinks he is making a skill level comparison between any of our players and Gretzky and co then......

What Black said was correct and not really an earth shattering point to make.


Quote:
No, but again: the writer was there and heard Ted make the comment about "planting the seed of future greatness." That's a clear call for patience.
Thats not what he was talking about. Black was talking about whether or not this was a lost season. He didn't want to refer to this season as lost one YET. He gave a few reasons for that. One was he didn't want to give up on the possibility of making the playoffs yet. They still have a chance in his opinion. Another reason was he felt that sometimes teams grow and learn from season like this and it can lead to future greatness.

Black's comments weren't a call for patience. They were an arguement that this season wasn't a waste or a lost season. You don;t have to agree with him but thats what he is arguing.


Quote:
Most of us can read beyond the headline and editorial comments of the writer
The quote you used in the OP from the article has a falsehood in it. I guess you didn't notice it when you "read past the headline".


Last edited by joshjull: 01-30-2012 at 12:08 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 11:51 AM
  #97
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,061
vCash: 500
I've always seen 'read past the headline' as an intelligent sounding way to actually say 'I'm twisting what was written to fit my preconceived narrative."

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:35 PM
  #98
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll
 
flyingpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pay the troll toll
Posts: 1,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Pominville is also toting the party line with the media.http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...o-join-sabres/
As he should. IN a perfect world, the chemistry coment should have been left out and he shoudl have said they all need to get better including him and that he needs to lead them out of the slide.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:36 PM
  #99
puckish66
Registered User
 
puckish66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
What a shocker that you didn't understand Black's point or just chose to ignore it. You also seemed to have missed/ignored the hyperpole he used to make it. Which is surprising considering how often its used on this board.

Its simple. When many of your best players (Roy, Stafford and Miller, etc) are having career worst seasons. You're not going to win many games or make the playoffs. The hyperbole being even the league's best players aren't going to win when they are playing their worst. If you or anyone else actually thinks he is making a skill level comparison between any of our players and Gretzky and co then......

What Black said was correct and not really an earth shattering point to make.




Thats not what he was talking about. Black was talking about whether or not this was a lost season. He didn't want to refer to this season as lost one YET. He gave a few reasons for that. One was he didn't want to give up on the possibility of making the playoffs yet. They still have a chance in his opinion. Another reason was he felt that sometimes teams grow and learn from season like this and it can lead to future greatness.

Black's comments weren't a call for patience. They were an arguement that this season wasn't a waste or a lost season. You don;t have to agree with him but thats what he is arguing.




The quote you used in the OP from the article has a falsehood in it. I guess you didn't notice it when you "read past the headline".
It's wrong for you to say that I didn't understand Ted's point (which seems to be more and more on the top of his head) or that the WGR writer included a "falsehood" in his story. The various points are very much open to debate. It's not black and white, your way or the highway.

FWIW, most posters seem to have a very big problem with what Ted said.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:42 PM
  #100
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
It's wrong for you to say that I didn't understand Ted's point (which seems to be more and more on the top of his head) or that the WGR writer included a "falsehood" in his story. The various points are very much open to debate. It's not black and white, your way or the highway.

FWIW, most posters seem to have a very big problem with what Ted said.
Title of article : Black Still Preaching Patience
Number of time the word 'patient/patience' appears in the article : 3
Number of times the Ted Black is quoted as saying the word 'patient/patience' : 1 , in reference to Terry Pegula being a 'patient person'.

I would expect that someone 'preaching patience' may refer the the topic quite directly and repeatedly. This does not happen. Black does not ask for the fans to be patient. He does not say the organization is being patient.

Ergo, Ted Black is NOT 'preaching patience', ergo the headline of the story doesn't match what Ted Black actually said, ergo it's a falsehood.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.