HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garrison and Versteeg Contract Status

Old
01-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Erick

vCash: 500
I'm expecting Garrison to get a nice payday and considering Tallon's loyalty to his players, I expect it to be here. If you look at the free-agent market for defensemen, he's one of the better ones available this offseason.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:51 PM
SoupyFIN
#freePirri

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I'm expecting Garrison to get a nice payday and considering Tallon's loyalty to his players, I expect it to be here. If you look at the free-agent market for defensemen, he's one of the better ones available this offseason.
E5, Garrison re-signed- 8 years 57,143,000 million and 7,142,875 caphit.

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Yeah, I find it ridiculous that anyone would call him a TO machine. In close games, what pairing do we always see late in games? Weaver and Garrison. Why is that? Is it because Garrison is so bad defensively? No, its because those two have been one of the better shutdown duos since the start of last season. Garrison should be in that tier right below all-star Dmen, and his play has proved that.

I would like to see:

Steeger - 4/$18 million
Garrison - 3/$11 million
Kulikov - 5/$19 million

That would put us at around $54 million, which would be about $12-15 million under the cap. Even if we add Huberdeau and Howden to the team, we would still be about $9 million under. I think if we can get into the playoffs, and get the increase in attendance, Tallon could be allowed to spend closer to the cap next year.
Huberdeau and Howden are already signed, right?

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Huberdeau and Howden are already signed, right?
Both have been signed to ELCs, I just dont know the exact numbers, so I went with what Kuli got on his ELC.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:42 PM
LUUUUUIS
2mins for Panthering

Why is Upshall getting paid so much? $3.5/year for 4 years.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:43 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Both have been signed to ELCs, I just dont know the exact numbers, so I went with what Kuli got on his ELC.
Huberdeau has a cap hit similar to Gudbranson at 3.15M(being a top 3 selection), whereas Howden's hit is closer to Kuli's at 1.1M.

I use capgeek.com for all things salary cap related as I've found it has the most accurate figures.

TimHortons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:43 AM
Tuco

DO NOT sign any more of our current players at this point. Based on their (possibly) flukey start of the season, they may command too high a price at this point relative to their average performace level. Wait and see.

Last edited by Tuco: 01-14-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 06:29 AM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiluis View Post
Why is Upshall getting paid so much? $3.5/year for 4 years.
Because being the panthers we have to overpay for free agents even midiocre oft injured ones.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:50 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Of course Garrison is going to leave. I just got his jersey for Christmas. Happens to me every time.
I'm waiting for his extension to get mine, and I will once he does.

I share your stress on the matter

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:57 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Steeg is around Lupul value, slightly more maybe. I'd be pleased with 4.25 mil for 4-5 years type of deal.

Garrison walks I say. I'm interested in seeing Petrovic and Robak up with the big club soon. Ellerby should be dealt for a 2nd line guy in the summer.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Montsy14

Liles, Goligoski and now Gleason getting all around 4 mill definitely cannot be good for negotiations with Garrison.

What do you guys think? How much does Garrison deserve? If it was me, considering this is his break out year, I'd be signing him short-term with a mid-level cap number. Something along the lines of 2 years and 5-6 million.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:15 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Liles, Goligoski and now Gleason getting all around 4 mill definitely cannot be good for negotiations with Garrison.

What do you guys think? How much does Garrison deserve? If it was me, considering this is his break out year, I'd be signing him short-term with a mid-level cap number. Something along the lines of 2 years and 5-6 million.
wow thats a ton of money! If thats how much it would cost id rather put him on the trade market get some offensive help and stick petrovic in next season.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
wow thats a ton of money! If thats how much it would cost id rather put him on the trade market get some offensive help and stick petrovic in next season.
I meant 5-6 million total not per season. I don't really think 2.5-3 mill is that much considering he's playing 20+ minutes a night and will likely score at least 16-18 goals.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:22 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
I meant 5-6 million total not per season. I don't really think 2.5-3 mill is that much considering he's playing 20+ minutes a night and will likely score at least 16-18 goals.
o wow my bad lol i think hes going to get paid a lot more than 2.5-3. Somewhere in between 3-4.5 is my estimation. In which case i would sign him long term. He is very solid defensively as he is offensively.

But lets not forget the panthers have 2 solid prospects who can make the lineup in the next couple of seasons: Robak and Petrovic. Who goes should these guys progress to the next level?

Old
01-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Laus723
Future Now

I'm expecting him to get close to 4, I think he's worth it and we have his partner locked up for several more years as well.

01-30-2012, 03:09 PM
harv3317

i'd be happy with 3-3.5 mill long term if possible. i think 3.5 is a good number all around!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

Quote:
o wow my bad lol i think hes going to get paid a lot more than 2.5-3. Somewhere in between 3-4.5 is my estimation. In which case i would sign him long term. He is very solid defensively as he is offensively.

But lets not forget the panthers have 2 solid prospects who can make the lineup in the next couple of seasons: Robak and Petrovic. Who goes should these guys progress to the next level?
Jovo goes, but I have no idea where. I think Robak is showing he really deserves a chance at the NHL level next year which makes it difficult with us already have 7 guys on the roster.

Panthers are Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:34 PM
KW

I think the Garrison bubble will burst next year. Let's trade him offseason and get a great forward.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
I think the Garrison bubble will burst next year. Let's trade him offseason and get a great forward.
What? He's getting better every year, he's not going anywhere.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:03 PM
CaptainScrewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
He is a FA after the season, he has no value once the season is over. We could trade him now, he would net a decent return, but it would hurt this year and IMO we need to make the playoffs. I also don't think he is a 'bubble' type player; the skills are legit and him and Campbell make a great pair.

He is going to more expensive than when the season started, but a 3.5-4 per year deal will be worth it IMO.

The Jovo contract is what is really hurting us...can't see the value but, oh well...

CaptainScrewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:16 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
What? He's getting better every year, he's not going anywhere.
I had the same initial reaction laus. But giving it more thought has Garrison's trade value ever been as high as it would be right now? If we could get a top 6 forward for garrison since the d-market at the deadline is so depleted i think it could help us in the long run. The thought of replacing garrison with robak for the rest of the season sucks but since samuelsson seems to be getting the point position on PP unit 1 is it that noticeable? Also if we were able to get a top 6 forward for garrison what would be the production from this guy?

Maybe its not as crazy as it sounds.

Old
01-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
I had the same initial reaction laus. But giving it more thought has Garrison's trade value ever been as high as it would be right now? If we could get a top 6 forward for garrison since the d-market at the deadline is so depleted i think it could help us in the long run. The thought of replacing garrison with robak for the rest of the season sucks but since samuelsson seems to be getting the point position on PP unit 1 is it that noticeable? Also if we were able to get a top 6 forward for garrison what would be the production from this guy?

Maybe its not as crazy as it sounds.
It sounds crazier to deal off Garrison instead of Ellerby TBH. And I really like Ellerby and think he's got good potential too. But Garrison means too much right now that it wouldnt net us a positive situation by moving him to get a top 6 forward in return. We upgrade on offense to downgrade on defense so the gain is negated.

Robak could take Ellerby's spot in that scenario too and would make more sense for a team selling off a top 6 forward to want to acquire Ellerby who's a RFA and young over Garrison who's entering his prime and an UFA-to-be. And Robak could still get some ice time next yr but Tallon and Dineen dont need to rush him either. That was the approach with Ellerby in some ways and he played basically 2.5 yrs in the AHL before he got his shot (and that was really only because we traded everyone off, not because he was totally ready). I'd rather see Robak spend one more full yr playing for San Antonio with some brief callups when injuries hit next season. Also want to see Petrovic develop properly too and spend some time in the AHL to adjust to the pro game a little (by then we can maybe trade off Weaver and Jovo may retire).

I like Garrison and he has been consistently getting better every season but he doesnt have the same body of work as some of the other guys who are getting recent deals. Would I give him $4M/yr on a long term deal? Maybe not but definitely would go around $3.25M/yr for 4 yrs (which is identical to what Seidenberg got as a UFA-to-be when we traded him to the Bruins and before the SC run). Thats fair to him and the team IMO.

Oh and BTW, Garrison has not really been on the top PP unit most of the season anyway so doesnt matter that Samuelsson (who also has a good point shot) is getting that time. It was mostly him on the 2nd unit cause Kulikov was usually out there on the 1st unit (Garrison just usually scored when Campbell would set him up when Campbell was double-shifted on the PP 2nd unit). Garrison's true value isnt his offense which is unexpected but his steady defensive play.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:05 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Steeg is around Lupul value, slightly more maybe. I'd be pleased with 4.25 mil for 4-5 years type of deal.

Garrison walks I say. I'm interested in seeing Petrovic and Robak up with the big club soon. Ellerby should be dealt for a 2nd line guy in the summer.
Garrison is a Tallon-player. Bet he gets re-signed.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:19 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Robak or Petrovic are going to have to earn a job in camp if they want to make this team, we aren't going to trade anyone to make room for them. I know everyone thinks Jovo is going to go, but I don't think so. First of all, no one is going to take that contract unless it's a swap of bad contracts in which case I'd rather not. IMO Weaver is more likely to go, but not until after next season at the earliest. I think Robak spends one more year in the AHL, and then we'll assess things one year from now. Petrovic likely spends at least a couple years in the AHL. I really don't see a realistic alternative to this plan unless Garry walks, and we replace him with someone on a 1 year deal. Unless Ellerby is traded this summer, which I find unlikely though. That's just the way our defense is set up.

I would give Garry a 3-5 year deal worth up to 4.25M per. If he asks for significantly higher than 4.25, I'd let him walk. It's tough because we I feel we can't afford to lose him, but at the same time we also have to re-sign Versteeg and Kuli, and plan for Weiss's new contract extension(hopefully) which would kick in a year later. I guess it really depends on how much money Viner gives Tallon to play with over the next few years. Playoff revenue would be nice, but barring a miracle playoff run Viner would still have to up the ante more if we were to compete with the highest spending teams.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:08 PM
LUUUUUIS
2mins for Panthering

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.ht...-Versteeg-0215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Versteeg
"We've kind of implied it toward one another that we both want to do something and get something done," Versteeg said. "Now it's about just getting it done. It's something I want obviously really bad. I don't want to move anywhere else. It's tough to travel from team to team and try to get comfortable over a year into their system. To get production every year is tough when you're going from team to team. I'd like to stay in one spot, get used to a group of guys and start a core group of guys here and try to win here."
Seems like he wants to stay!

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote