HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Bettman Still Believes in New Coliseum

Old
01-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Isles72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin109 View Post
How does he figure we still have 3 and half years when it takes at least 2 years to build a new arena?
I think he believes (like I do ) that it'll go right up to the 11th hour before any deal is struck

therefore , the isles may potentially be playing in the nvmc beyond the current lease while new arena is constructed or playing in nvmc while its renovated during X amount of time during a few off-seasons

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Brunomics

How nice Bettman still believes in a new coliseum, how is this news?

Brunomics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Steve55

I wonder what Bettman was supposed to say IF he knew Wang was actively looking at other options.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:04 PM
seafoam
#Sharks2014

vCash: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
What I took out of the article is what I have been saying all along.

There is no place for Wang to move the team to.

I think this was more Bettman sending a message than anything else. Seattle has no arena, Qubec City has the same arena problem the Isles currently have and we all know the KC expirment failed. So where's he going?
Hartford...

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:16 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Hartford...
Honestly, Hartford is the one place non-NY that I would still continue to be a fan of.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:36 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Honestly, Hartford is the one place non-NY that I would still continue to be a fan of.
not happening...hartford needs a new arena as well and the state has zero money

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscene View Post
In a related story, Bettman also still believes in Santa and the tooth fairy...
Damn you I was just going to say that!!!

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:44 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 1172
Those of you who are espousing the "they wont leave because they have no where else to go" mindset are kidding yourselves. There are plenty of places for them to relocate to outside of the NY Metro area.

First and foremost, Quebec. It's not guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination that Phoenix is going to wind up there (at least not by 2015) especially now since they allegedly have 3 separate ownership groups looking at buying them and keeping them in AZ. Ownership is already in place (Quebecor) and the new arena is coming.

Then you've got right behind them, Toronto. The area could clearly support multiple teams and a new arena is even being built in a nearby suburb.

Seattle, great sports town with a hockey history and no other winter sports competition. Sure the arena isnt ideal, but with a strong owner and the promise of a new one in the next 5 years, the NHL couldnt move a team there fast enough.

Then you've got other markets like Kansas City, Houston, Hamilton, ONT, etc. where if the right owner happened to appear it would quickly become a viable market.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:20 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
It's Bettman saying what he's supposed to say. The isles are gone after 2015 if there's no new arena-I think we all know that. Bettman's really done all he can for us so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Those of you who are espousing the "they wont leave because they have no where else to go" mindset are kidding yourselves. There are plenty of places for them to relocate to outside of the NY Metro area.

First and foremost, Quebec. It's not guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination that Phoenix is going to wind up there (at least not by 2015) especially now since they allegedly have 3 separate ownership groups looking at buying them and keeping them in AZ. Ownership is already in place (Quebecor) and the new arena is coming.

Then you've got right behind them, Toronto. The area could clearly support multiple teams and a new arena is even being built in a nearby suburb.

Seattle, great sports town with a hockey history and no other winter sports competition. Sure the arena isnt ideal, but with a strong owner and the promise of a new one in the next 5 years, the NHL couldnt move a team there fast enough.

Then you've got other markets like Kansas City, Houston, Hamilton, ONT, etc. where if the right owner happened to appear it would quickly become a viable market.

I agree 100%. All of those options are at least as viable as the NY metro is right now for the Isles (and some more viable).

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Isles72

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
I read that report a month or so ago but havent seen anything on the news to confirm .

is it really happening ?

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote