HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jakob Silfverberg - SEL Champion and Playoffs MVP

Old
03-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Exalted User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
I don't think anyone's really worried about him not coming over to the NHL. I think it's more that we don't have great depth at LW and we think he could probably make the team this year and his development would probably be better if he came to the NHL/AHL for the future.
I think that depends entirely on how well his game translates. And as of now, i don't think he'll have any problems considering the way he plays. I think it's more a question of how mature a player is. If you look at the last ten years it's a fact that swedish players who have stayed one or two years longer in the SEL usually have taken a spot on the big club right away without ever playing a minute in the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
With that in mind I love his shot. I don't know about his accuracy because I don't watch a lot of his games, but most of the goals I see of his are straight snipes.
He's worked on it. And i think his wrist shot is way more accurate now then what it was at the beginning of the season. However, his slapshot still needs some work. It's hard and all, but half the time it's either to high or goes wide.

1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
I think the dude said he could be better "if" he reaches his potential (we could have an existentialist discussion on that), but that he is more versatile- which I would take to mean more committed defensively- and possibly more physical- to go with his offensive abilities.

Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth, KRM.
Right, and I'm just asking what makes him think that Silfverberg 'could' be better than Eriksson. Especially since Swedish posters on our board have said they could see him being a 50 point 2nd liner, but doubt he has 1st line capabilities.

60 - 70+ points and being great defensively is definitely first line Wing material.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:08 AM
SpezDispenser

He's definitely still an enigma to fans in NA, all we have to go on is Swedish fan's reports and Youtube clips etc., so this kind of thread is excellent to read people's opinions who have actually seen him play and know what kind of player/prospect he is or can be.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Minister of Offence

I think the consensus among Sens fans is, if he wants to stay another year, go right ahead. I don't think anyone's complaining, I'd love to see him over for camp though, but that's just me being greedy.

KRM's been pretty high on Silfverberg. Once said he could be a poor man's Alfie, then later on said that there's nothing poor about him. I'm not predicting a star player, but it appears like he'll end up being the offensive player Ottawa thought they were getting when they drafted him. Just how much remains to be seen, another year in Sweden would be good...

His couple shootout winners that he put wristers right under the bar were real impressive...reeaaallyyyyy impressive. Said to be a character player.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Minister of Offence

Bump.

At 21, Silfverberg wears an "A" full time and at one point spent time with the "C" due to injuries.

He's currently at 27 GP 12 G 12 A for 24 P. 0.89 PPG

In his last 16 games he has 21 points for 1.31 PPG

For a player lauded for solid defensive play and work ethic....he's scoring at a rate pretty rare for young players in the SEL. Mikael Renberg is now an analyst in Sweden and earlier proclaimed him the best player in the SEL (2nd hand information). Not only this, but this type of production seemed to be expected of him going into this season in Sweden.

A 25-25 guy or 30-30 guy in the NHL maybe? His game has always sounded like it was made for smaller ice as well. Goes to the net, plays around the net and has a great release.

Old
12-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Anchor Town

Who's the better prospect between Silfverberg and Jarnkrok?

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Metalownall

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
I was wondering that.. From what I've read I think Jarnkrok has more upside but is further from the NHL than Silfverberg? Makes sense?

Metalownall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalownall View Post
I was wondering that.. From what I've read I think Jarnkrok has more upside but is further from the NHL than Silfverberg? Makes sense?
Jarnkrok's a little flashier and you're inclined to think his upside is higher for offense.

Sens wanted Silfverberg in the NHL this year and it's starting to appear like this kid isn't hurting for offensive upside either. With current captain Andreas Dackell out he's currently the captain of 3rd place Brynas. I'd say there's similarities to Alfredsson but I'm not prepared to say this is an 80-90 point player or anything...his rate of development over the past 3-4 seasons is said to be very high.

Old
12-07-2011, 07:15 PM
cheerupmurray

Silfverberg has had a steady development curve, even though he originaly wasn't considered a top-notch prospect, he just keep on improving. That's a really good sign in my book. He will probably top out as a ok second liner or a good third liner in NHL, but who knows, maybe he continues to surprise.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
Silfverberg has had a steady development curve, even though he originaly wasn't considered a top-notch prospect, he just keep on improving. That's a really good sign in my book. He will probably top out as a ok second liner or a good third liner in NHL, but who knows, maybe he continues to surprise.
The Sens think he's a good 3rd liner right now.

Old
12-07-2011, 09:03 PM
ponder

To compare him to a current Sens player, does a less physical Michalek fit? I'm not going off seeing him play here, just a guess based on scouting reports and highlights (saw him play at the WJCs, but wasn't really focusing on him specifically).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
To compare him to a current Sens player, does a less physical Michalek fit? I'm not going off seeing him play here, just a guess based on scouting reports and highlights (saw him play at the WJCs, but wasn't really focusing on him specifically).
Not really at all.

If you're going to compare him to any Sens player you might as well just go with Alfie-lite.

I think he's a 20-30 to a 30-30 player though. But pre-draft he was seen as an intelligent defensive forward, some saw a limit to 3rd liner...others saw scoring upside. Our scouts saw scoring upside, and given our scouting in Sweden, I trust his numbers in Sweden right now point to scoring upside.

A 21 year old that is given Captain responsibilities with Brynas' captain out of the lineup. Two way player that is smart, sets up plays, and has a boomer and an NHL release. Lauded for character play and work ethic.

Pierre McGuire threw out a Jere Lehtinen comparison last year, but suggested that it wasn't to say he'd rack up a trophy room full of Selkes. I've heard Alfie comparisons and Loui Eriksson comparisons...."lite" versions at this point.

Old
12-08-2011, 07:56 AM
cheerupmurray

Silfverberg out 4-6 weeks, shoulder injury again. Too bad he was picking up the pace after his last shoulder injury.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 08:04 AM
HSF

Quote:
Silfverberg out 4-6 weeks, shoulder injury again. Too bad he was picking up the pace after his last shoulder injury.

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:41 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Yeah, I believe I read in one of MoO's posts on the Sens board that Silf has produced at a 1.31 pace in his past 16 games. How many games should he miss with this injury? Anything above 10 and I think he might have to kiss away his chances at the scoring title

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Injury prone.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Manny*

Different injury to a different shoulder.

I'm not too worried about it being chronic.

Silfverberg is a monster. Reminds me of Hornqvist, but with a cannon shot. He's also an elite penalty killer. Definite 50-60 point potential if he keeps working hard. 30 goals is a realistic possibility.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:32 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

less skilled wade belak.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Minister of Offence

Sooo....a 21 year old alternate captain (currently wearing the "C") and one of the SEL's best players?

27 points in his last 24 games.

http://bloggar.expressen.se/nystrom/.../fem-getingar/

Quote:
When I praised Silfverberg little more then smiled Jonsson and I told Brynäs coach that he might become a little blind to how well Silfverberg actually is. If you look at world-class day after so get used to it eventually.
Right now it's no doubt about that Jacob Silfverberg's elite series' best player.
Sure, it's tough competition.
But no other is the "total package" that Silfverberg. He creates a constant scoring opportunities. He works as hard in the defensive when he breaks motståndarpass, taking vital signs and forcing opponents into hasty decisions.
He controls much of the game in the elite series 'best' power play set-up "and is as important as Brynäs kills penalties.
Quote:
När jag berömde Silfverberg lite mer så log Jonsson och jag sa åt Brynäs tränare att han kanske blivit lite blind för hur bra Silfverberg faktiskt är. Ser man världsklass dag efter så vänjer man sig till sist.
Just nu är det inget snack om att Jakob Silfverberg är elitseriens bäste spelare.
Visst, det är tuff konkurrens.
Men ingen annan är det ”totala paketet” som Silfverberg. Han skapar konstant målchanser. Han jobbar lika hårt i defensiven då han bryter motståndarpass, tar viktiga markeringar och tvingar motståndarna till förhastade beslut.
Han styr mycket av spelet i elitseriens bästa ”power play-uppställning” och är lika viktig när Brynäs dödar utvisningar.
Mot Luleå spelade Silfverberg fram till alla Brynäs tre mål och när Luleå jagade kvittering i slutet var Silfverberg också inne på isen – och då kom också tredje målpasset.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:03 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
I'm a pretty average poster. I don't have much upside.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Pellegrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Both have potential to become good NHL-players, but Silfverberg looks more suited to the NA-game, even though Red Wing's style should be perfect for Järnkrok.

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:22 PM
SChan*

silfverberg is pacing himself to the scoring title in SEL despite missing several games because of injury. He is top6 material for the senators next season.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

vCash: 1300
36pts in 37 games played. Plays a north-south game, tenacious and battles for the puck. Seems like a real gem. Im actually pretty surprised how little he's talked about on here (but then again Im a sens fan ). He's a top prospect for sure.

His development curve has been very impressive. I can see him making a real impact as early as next year.

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Manny*

I see him winning the Calder next season.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:04 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
I see him winning the Calder next season.
It's certainly possible with the available spots in the Sens top 6. He might even find himself with Alfie and Turris - which to me is the perfect fit.

Nice to hear he's doing well - we always had/have high hopes!

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote