HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Joffrey Lupul

Old
01-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Theron
#beauty

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
first off, we would not get lupuls worth in value in a trade atm.

second off, lupul is a perfect fit here, and he loves it in toronto

unless he asks for an outrageous ammount of money he will be a stay a leaf for years to come..

also he should get komo's "A" .

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 04:06 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

vCash: 50
Lupul is like the Toronto equivalent of Burrows. That's about the summation of his value, in my opinion.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 04:47 PM
MaximusT

Malkin and a first heh

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Briecheeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Lupul is like the Toronto equivalent of Burrows. That's about the summation of his value, in my opinion.
I'd say with a bit more of a higher ceiling (he was drafted #7 overall for a reason), but that's fair.

Briecheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 06:00 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
..what does that have to do with anything I said? I wouldn't go back on the Ballard deal, we need him way more than we need Grabner or a prospect. I think Grabner is overrated, Ballard is a fine defenseman he just makes a bit too much for what he brings. Way to derail the thread tho, everything I said about Lupul has been corroborated by many other posters. Troll elsewhere.
you wouldnt give a first for the sixth leading scorer in the league, but you're ok with the cost that the canucks paid to get an overpaid bottom pairing dman?

and im the troll...

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 07:50 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briecheeze View Post
I'd say with a bit more of a higher ceiling (he was drafted #7 overall for a reason), but that's fair.
He does have a higher ceiling, I'll agree.

I think the fact Burrows has nearly 3 seasons of impressive production evens it out.

I suppose the way I should have worded it was that both players inherently aren't as good as their stats right now make them seem, but the chemistry they have with their linemates (Kessel, Sedins) makes them nearly untouchable save for a huge, guaranteed upgrade.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:59 PM
HappyGilmourr

Probably a little less then Pomminville and Dustin Brown.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Boondock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Probably a little less then Pomminville and Dustin Brown.
I'd say equal to Pominville but more then Brown

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Xander Crews
Genius Poster

Lupul is here to stay as far as im concerned. He become one of those players who is more valuable to us then he is to another team.

Xander Crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:40 PM
ShortSideFlick

Quote:

I think the fact Burrows has nearly 3 seasons of impressive production evens it out.

I suppose the way I should have worded it was that both players inherently aren't as good as their stats right now make them seem, but the chemistry they have with their linemates (Kessel, Sedins) makes them nearly untouchable save for a huge, guaranteed upgrade.
riiiiiiiight... except that Burrows "nearly 3 seasons of impressive production" still isn't enough to put his career point totals close to on par with the previously injured, "not meeting expectations", "disappointing" Lupul.

If you eliminate this years stats from his career totals and rely 100% on stats when Lupul was valueless according to the genius posters on this site, Lupul STILL has more career points than Burrows... including Burrows' '11-'12 points.

And Lupul is two years younger

And Lupul is playing with only one 1st line calibre player as opposed to arguably the best playmaking pair in the league/world.

So no, Burrows' value is nowhere close to Lupul's. This isn't just me pumping up a leaf, his performance before he was a leaf when hfboards seems to have agreed he was S**t was also significantly better than Burrows. Any GM worth a damn knows this, and anyone that knows hockey who's actually watched both players play knows this.

This site is remarkably bad at valuing players. YES, he is likely worth more to the leafs than other teams, but his value around the league is still significantly higher than burrows or the 1st, 3rd, mediocre prospect suggested earlier (unless we're talking lottery).

ShortSideFlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:48 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

I personally do not think there is a value for lupul at this point. The only value lupul really holds is a top line / top 10 nhl point producer for the leafs.

No point in putting a value on an untouchable player at this point regardless of what teams feel he is worth.

He fits on the leafs, did not look out of place at the all star game, and is all around playing a much different style of hockey from his previous years.

Guy seems to be reborn from his pottential career threatening injuries, looks like he loves playing on the leafs and is putting in a consistant effort regularily. Thats all anyone can ask for as a fan.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:32 PM
My name is Legion
Watch it Burn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
change the 2nd to a 1st ...

and that prospect better be good
I hope your just trolling cause there a no way Dallas gives up Morrow, a first and a good prospect for Lupul

Last edited by My name is Legion: 01-30-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Grammer police caught me
My name is Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:40 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchupinPiestany View Post
I hope your just trolling cause there a no way Dallas gives up Morrow, a first and a good prospect for Lupel
Yea, but Lupel sucks. Lupul, on the other hand, is totally worth it!

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:44 PM
My name is Legion
Watch it Burn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Yea, but Lupel sucks. Lupul, on the other hand, is totally worth it!
Thought i could sneak that one bye, fixed

My name is Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Lupul has underachieved forever it seems and has now put together a single good season. Most people won't give you much for that, he could easily revert to his previous form on another team with different line mates. He has more value to the Leafs than anyone else, I wouldn't even give a 1st for him myself.
Although you wouldn't give up a first, I guarantee teams would give the Leafs a lot more than that to get Lupul.

Sure i'm saying this as a Leafs fan, but last year everyone said Versteeg and Kaberle were worth 2nd round picks at the most. The thing is, teams are willing to overpay for their needs.

The Bruins traded their first, a good prospect, and a conditional pick (which the Leafs got) because they needed a puck moving d-man. Philly wanted secondary scoring, so the paid a first and a second for Versteeg.

Teams overpay for needs, that is what the trade deadline is all about.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Phatic

ok, everyone seems to agree that he's worth more to the leafs than he would be to anyone else, so maybe its better to gauge his value by comparing him to other players in the league.

So, new question, what players from other organizations are comparable to lupul?

I think the pominville comparison is pretty close~ pass first kind of guy, but is good for 20+ a season~
Is that a little high? Maybe something more like a Jussi Jokinen? Ready, go

Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Ash35

IMO Lupul has has been the leafs MVP this season. I know it's his break out year but it's not like he has just a lot of point. He's been a horse this season who has taken over games. I wouldn't want to get rid of him unless we got back a big time player.

Not only do non Leafs fans on here undervalue Leafs. Leafs Fans WAY overvalue guys who aren't on the Leafs. I really believe it takes guts to play thrive in Toronto and there are only a handful of guys in the league that would play as well for the Leafs as Lupul is.

Ash35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:41 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
HF's King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
it wasn't like Thornton made every one of those 50 goals go in.
No but that was the start of back to back 90 assist seasons for Joe. You know, something only Mario and Gretzky have done.

It was also in 2006 when everyone was getting used to new rules and everyone was having a career year

King Mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:48 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Kessel benefits equally as much from Lupul as Lupul benefits from Kessel (maybe not equally, but you get the point )

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:01 PM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

I would want Dany Masse from the Habs.

lebdafor norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:07 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
HF's King

Just looked it up. Cheechoo had like 7 goals in 24 games without Joe, 1 in ALL of November. After the deal he had 49 from the start of December to the end of the year

King Mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:13 PM
RogerRoeper*

It's funny how his value has done a 180 from this time last year.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:25 PM
TOGuy14

He has always had the pedigree to be a top scorer he just never reached that potential up until this year.

That said given previous lacklustre years I doubt anyone would pay full value for him now until he proved himself for a couple more years. The catch 22 is that if he proved himself for a couple years of top flight scoring, Toronto wouldn't want to trade him...

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:30 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
Just not sure how you can make the statement that Kessel and lupul are the best duo this year. Giroux/ Hartnell and Malkin/Neal are the top 2
Lupul/Kessel = 46 goals and 103 points

Giroux/Hartnell = 43 goals and 99 points

Malkin/Neal = 53 goals and 105 points

So really Kessel/Lupul have been second best duo this year, only slightly behind Malkin/Neal

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:34 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:

I disagree with this. Sure Burrows has one 30 goal season over Lupul, but Lupul has almost 60 more points in 9 more games over his career, has 17 more goals, and didn't have the luxury of playing with the Sedins, or behind them.

Plus he's younger, dealt with injuries, etc.

Any GM worth their weight in salt would know that Burke would have valid reason to hold Lupul in higher regards than Burrows...

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote