HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hal Gill

Old
01-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Hal Gill can still help a team, but the Habs don't need him anymore + they will not be bringing him back next year. Therefore trade him and get some assets

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:08 PM
habtastic

This much is obvious to me:

He is a very underrated player by many. Yes he's slow but he has bailed us out of soooooo many situations including 5 on 5. I don't particularly remember him losing coverage or forgetting to box someone out. In some cases, getting out muscled fine, but it's not that often and not like the other don't either. It's so frustrating to watch him skate, but he gets the job done and make no mistake, the guy is a hugggge part of the dressing room.

Secondly, he's a part of the team I see departing unless he can be signed to a very inexpensive contract. The problem is that he is definitely going to want years on his next contract and just like with Hammrlik (which was the right decision), 2 years is too much, let alone more. We have D coming in, but we still need Hal for at least another season. If he goes, we will see a lot of empty space that he used to fill. Our PK will suffer greatly. We talk about Markov on the PP. Say goodbye to number one PK.

anyway, the truth is that we're going to move him before the deadline to get something for him unless PG thinks he can sign him for something reasonable. I would try the latter option first, but like I said, he's going to want more than a year. Contenders can use this guy and they'll be knocking on the door. Obviously pitt was already mentioned and LA is looking like a possibility re: the Scuderi factor.

I'll be sad to see him go, hopefully we find a way to replace him.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:11 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Do you really want to hold on to Gill if you're rebuilding for the future?
depends for how long. While you are rebuilding do you want to be teaching invaluable lessons to your young D? HELLZ yes. PK was best when playing with Gill. But yes, the question is how long into this rebuild.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:33 PM
coolasprICE

Gill is the most underrated d-man in the NHL.

The guy does not age, since he doesn't rely on mobility but positioning and his reach.

He will be playing for another 3 to 5 years, barring injuries or desire to retire.

Sure he struggled a bit at the start of the year but he's proven to be the pillar of our penalty kill.

I'm all for selling assets for building a future, but Gill is a guy I'd like to keep.. I'd offer him 3 years for 4 million if I were GM.

He is the ideal number 6 guy, and is the BEST penalty killer in the entire NHL.

Mark my words, if we do trade him, the team that picks him for a playoff run will go far. If we end up trading him to a top end team like the Wings, Canucks, Hawks, they are front runners to win a cup... He is a playoff BEAST.

Gill should have been our captain.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:44 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Not sure if serious............
I had the exact same reaction. Is this a troll thread or?..

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
For the life of me I just can't imagine even considering trading that guy. He's like a fine wine, in which he keeps getting better. He is one player that we cannot replace. He's a major reason why our PK is #1 in the NHL. Him not being signed blows my mind.....Getting rid of him will be another bone head mistake that our beloved GM will surely make. I realize we have to groom the young kids but we still need a vet like him. Hal Gill on a 5 on 3 penalty kill is irreplacable.

thanks... i needed a good laugh tonight.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:03 AM
HabsCowboysOwn
No Pain No Gain

this thread =

Gill is slow as ****, old, soft, putrid at 5 vs 5, good on the PK but far from an irreplaceable player. If we can grab a 2nd for him at the deadline I'd be more than happy.

He's a nice guy but comon, he's nowhere close to be a core player or anything. it's time to move foward, not to stick with old, regressing players.

HabsCowboysOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Aurel Joliat

Hal Gill is #1 in the league for icing calls

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Pleky Roks

I honestly can't stop laughing at this thread....sorry!!! Hal Gill seems like a good guy, he's probably a good teammate in the dressing room cracking jokes and making people laugh...but on the ice....he's just painful to watch!!! His play 5 on 5 is ROTTEN!! He's too slow and not physical enough to be an asset moving forward. He might be decent on the PK...but he's certainly no better than anybody else we could throw out there on the PK.

If the Habs can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Gill before or on the deadline....they HAVE to take it. There is absolutely no reason why the Habs are scratching guys like Emelin, Diaz, Weber or Campoli over a guy like Gill. All 4 of those guys can at least skate and are willing to throw a body check once in a while....where Gill does neither.

The Habs made a huge mistake when they signed Gill over Hamrlik. Hammer was a much better veteran and mentor for our younger players IMO.....plus Hammer can skate!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Tim Wallach

I will say this:

1) Hal Gill is over-rated by the lovers.
2) Hal Gill is under-rated by the haters.
3) With a young crop of D, a non-Cup-contending team and a 38-year-old D-man who remarkably holds value to a contending team, we'd be nuts not to field offers. And if anyone offers a pick in the top half of the draft, you likely jump on it.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:56 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I will say this:

1) Hal Gill is over-rated by the lovers.
2) Hal Gill is under-rated by the haters.
3) With a young crop of D, a non-Cup-contending team and a 38-year-old D-man who remarkably holds value to a contending team, we'd be nuts not to field offers. And if anyone offers a pick in the top half of the draft, you likely jump on it.
This

Lets hope a contender over rates him and gives us a 2nd rounder for him.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:09 PM
andy28

Quote:
Getting rid of him will be another bone head mistake that our beloved GM will surely make. I realize we have to groom the young kids but we still need a vet like him. Hal Gill on a 5 on 3 penalty kill is irreplacable.
I think it would be the opposite of a bonehead move. A bonehead move would be trading youth for older talent. Gill is awesome on the penalty kill no doubt, but he is nearing the end of his career. Unless we find ourselves in a playoff position, we will be sellers, and Gill will ultimately be more valuable to someone else than to us.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:11 PM
The Doors

Gill is a badass, keep him unless they're out of contention in a massive way.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
This

Lets hope a contender over rates him and gives us a 2nd rounder for him.
gill is the kindda guy that if PG came to him and said, we have a 2rd pick trade worked out for you, Will you go to contending club? Gill would probably say, where do i sign to help the habs

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Habblues

I get such a kick out of the people on this site. you guys have a VERY short memory. I judge a player by what he has done for us in the playoffs past " a la Domonic Moore", and Gill gave us his heart and soul with each playoff game. Maybe he has struggled a bit this year 5 on 5 but please tell me someone on the habs who hasn't struggled this year ? Yes he is a slow skater, but the guy is rarely caught out of position. It's a huge hole to fill if we lose him.....And yes this is a very serious thread.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:46 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
I get such a kick out of the people on this site. you guys have a VERY short memory. I judge a player by what he has done for us in the playoffs past " a la Domonic Moore", and Gill gave us his heart and soul with each playoff game. Maybe he has struggled a bit this year 5 on 5 but please tell me someone on the habs who hasn't struggled this year ? Yes he is a slow skater, but the guy is rarely caught out of position. It's a huge hole to fill if we lose him.....And yes this is a very serious thread.
The past is just that......the past.

Gill's skills have eroded significantly in just the last year.

Maybe we get a 3rd or 4th for him.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:48 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Bottom line is, what's the point in keeping him? To have the #1 rated PK while we miss the playoffs?

I like Gill and he'll be hard to replace on the PK...but we should be selling assets. Gill is an asset that will be easy to move at the trade deadline. We can work on filling the hole his departure will leave after. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Habblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Bottom line is, what's the point in keeping him? To have the #1 rated PK while we miss the playoffs?

I like Gill and he'll be hard to replace on the PK...but we should be selling assets. Gill is an asset that will be easy to move at the trade deadline. We can work on filling the hole his departure will leave after. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.....When we really have no chance of making the playoffs you guys can make those comments, but until then lets stay positive.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
For the life of me I just can't imagine even considering trading that guy. He's like a fine wine, in which he keeps getting better. He is one player that we cannot replace. He's a major reason why our PK is #1 in the NHL. Him not being signed blows my mind.....Getting rid of him will be another bone head mistake that our beloved GM will surely make. I realize we have to groom the young kids but we still need a vet like him. Hal Gill on a 5 on 3 penalty kill is irreplacable.
The thing is, if we are going to cut our losses this season and reload for next season he needs to go. He will be a commodity as we get closer to the deadline and could get us a pretty good return. It is unlikely he will be back next season as he is UFA. He has been great for us the 3 years we've had him and I too will miss him on the pk, but we need to do what's best looking into next season and beyond.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:50 PM
JustAHabFan

I really don't think Gill can get us a 2nd. We should be realistically look at 3rd round pick at the most for him.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

You guys missed the playoffs.

Yeah, well, we had a number 1 pk !

How was it in the playoffs?

**** off.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.....When we really have no chance of making the playoffs you guys can make those comments, but until then lets stay positive.
But the trade deadline might have passed, and the Habs again like passed years lose players like Souray, Streit, Wiz and company for NOTHING. Thats isn't helping going forward, let the young players play the rest of the way and send Gill to a contender and we finally get some assets back unlike past years

Old
01-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
I really don't think Gill can get us a 2nd. We should be realistically look at 3rd round pick at the most for him.
You will be surprised, teams get desperate come trade deadline and with players resigning like Gleason and now Nashville saying Suter isn't getting traded, Gill and others pick up value. Gill got Toronto a 2nd and 5th couple of years ago

Old
01-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Dr_Hook

With Gleason and Beauchemin signing whith their own team, that's already two less rentals D to hit the market ; maybe it helps Hal's value a little and we end up getting a 2nd after all ? (which I still think would be awesome value !)

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
With Gleason and Beauchemin signing whith their own team, that's already two less rentals D to hit the market ; maybe it helps Hal's value a little and we end up getting a 2nd after all ? (which I still think would be awesome value !)
When the leafs dealt him for a 2nd and a 4th (?) he still had another year left, though he wasn't as experienced.

It's possible. Though, Montreal seems like the type to ask if he wants to be traded and if he says no they wont.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote