HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toni Lydman in the summer

Old
01-28-2012, 04:37 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Toni Lydman in the summer

Hey Ducks fans! What sort of value would you be looking for in exchange for Toni Lydman this summer? What positional needs would you be wanting to address? It's pretty obvious that Edmonton has a bad defense core, and Lydman could help out on our second pair most likely. What realistic pieces would you guys be interested in from the Oilers?

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:15 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Hey Ducks fans! What sort of value would you be looking for in exchange for Toni Lydman this summer? What positional needs would you be wanting to address? It's pretty obvious that Edmonton has a bad defense core, and Lydman could help out on our second pair most likely. What realistic pieces would you guys be interested in from the Oilers?
2nd or 3rd rounder, or a decent prospect. I would say Lydman and a 4th for MPS, but I don't know what the Oilers would think of that.

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfan8 View Post
2nd or 3rd rounder, or a decent prospect. I would say Lydman and a 4th for MPS, but I don't know what the Oilers would think of that.
Ouch for the Oil. Can't beieve MPS would even be discussed alongside Toni Lydman

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Force951

Quote:
2nd or 3rd rounder
At that price we would keep him to mentor Schultz and provide some depth.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force951 View Post
At that price we would keep him to mentor Schultz and provide some depth.
I second that. He's not a contract dump or a rental.

Last edited by Exit Dose: 01-30-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
Ouch for the Oil. Can't beieve MPS would even be discussed alongside Toni Lydman
Last year he was the ducks best defender on a team with the leader in points and cam fowler. If he is only gonna fetch a 2nd or 3rd then I would just keep him unless we have an opportunity to sign someone much much better. Which we probably don't.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:37 AM
master4071

Lydman is worth 2nd round 2012...but I don't think it's good for the Ducks to trade him just for pick, unless we will sign someone better...

master4071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:29 AM
duxfan8

I guess it depends on what we could get for Lydman, but if we actually want Stuart (who wants to play in CA next year), it could be a good way to save money until the end of the season (by getting Lydman's contract off the books). He just hasn't played well this year. Problem is, we don't have anyone in the AHL that really sticks out as a number 5 dman that we can use on the PK. There's Fraser, but there must be a reason he's in Syracuse, right? There's also Smaby, but I don't know how I'd feel about him playing PK minutes.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:31 AM
duxfan8

And I like the notion of giving Sbisa more minutes. He has been a beast. If we could deal Lydman for a solid 4/5 dman with a lower cap hit, I'd do it to free up more ice time for Sbisa as well as to save some money.

Old
01-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
And I like the notion of giving Sbisa more minutes. He has been a beast. If we could deal Lydman for a solid 4/5 dman with a lower cap hit, I'd do it to free up more ice time for Sbisa as well as to save some money.
Dealing Lydman isn't going to help Sbisa. He's already playing a top 4 role. The Ducks aren't going to just trade Lydman just for the sake of trading him. No way he goes for a 2nd IMO. That's probably his value, but his worth is more to the Ducks. If he's traded they will be looking for a similar player next offseason and would probably have to overpay. I've heard stuart's name thrown around, but I believe he wants to go home to SJ.

I've heard several Duck fans say that we should keep him until we are able to sign someone else that will replace him, and then trade him. That won't happen. He will either be moved by the deadline or possibily the draft. If he's not moved by then he will remain a Duck until at least next year's deadline. I honestly think that Murray would like to keep him around next season to play with Schultz, UNLESS he goes hard for Suter this offseason. Suter is a pipedream and most likely the Ducks defense looks like this next season:

Beauchemin-Fowler
Sbisa-Lubo
Lydman-Schultz

The only way I see him traded this deadline is if it's for overpayment or something that would help the Ducks immediately. His value is about a 2nd + decent prospect, but it will take more then that to get him out of Anaheim this deadline. I could see him moved for top 6 forward (I believe a deal around he and Malone makes sense for both teams), or if someone overpays and offers a 1st. Something to keep in mind is that the market for defenseman is low now, especially with Gleason off the table. There aren't many realistic avalilable defenseman this deadline that are better then Lydman.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:11 PM
ZDH

Looods

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:24 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Beauchemin-Fowler
Sbisa-Lubo
Lydman-Schultz

The only way I see him traded this deadline is if it's for overpayment or something that would help the Ducks immediately. His value is about a 2nd + decent prospect, but it will take more then that to get him out of Anaheim this deadline. I could see him moved for top 6 forward (I believe a deal around he and Malone makes sense for both teams), or if someone overpays and offers a 1st. Something to keep in mind is that the market for defenseman is low now, especially with Gleason off the table. There aren't many realistic avalilable defenseman this deadline that are better then Lydman.
First off, I like those defensive pairings, but you can't pay Lydman 3 million a year to play 3rd pairing minutes if we have the opportunity to trade him. If we are stuck with him, there are bigger problems to worry about. He certainly has the chance to bounce back and be a force, but I've seen him get deked out of his jock, lose battles and get caught out of position way too many times this year. Not that we have to trade him, but I see him as a guy we can deal, and have replaced easily at a lower cost.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention the underlined part. I also agree with your point on limited d-men available at the deadline. Teams like Philly would definitely be interested if the price was right. If we can get a good piece, might as well do it. I am certainly not saying we should DUMP Lydman on someone for nothing because he still has value on our team. I would only want to trade him for fair value, or an overpayment (obviously).

Old
01-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
First off, I like those defensive pairings, but you can't pay Lydman 3 million a year to play 3rd pairing minutes if we have the opportunity to trade him. If we are stuck with him, there are bigger problems to worry about. He certainly has the chance to bounce back and be a force, but I've seen him get deked out of his jock, lose battles and get caught out of position way too many times this year. Not that we have to trade him, but I see him as a guy we can deal, and have replaced easily at a lower cost.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention the underlined part. I also agree with your point on limited d-men available at the deadline. Teams like Philly would definitely be interested if the price was right. If we can get a good piece, might as well do it. I am certainly not saying we should DUMP Lydman on someone for nothing because he still has value on our team. I would only want to trade him for fair value, or an overpayment (obviously).
I think you're looking too much into him being a third pairing defenseman. Don't feel bad because I've been guilty of the same thing before, recently in fact. Yes Lydman is technically our "5th defenseman" but even as that he's been averaging about 17 minutues a game, and he leads all players in players in ice time while shorthanded aside from Beauchemin. So while yes he plays on our 3rd pairing, he obviously has a lot more value then the average "bottom pairing defenseman".

Also keep in mind that our highest paid defenseman next year is Beauchemin at 3.25 and Fowler is still on his ELC contract, so while 3 million may be a little much for what Lydman brings to the team, we actually aren't spending much on the defense. Assuming Schultz makes the team we would have three guys at 3 million, one at 2.3, and two others making under 1 million. That's actually really cheap compared to most other teams. I realize that pencilling in Schultz is risky, but given Murray's, Dregger's, etc... comments about him, it seems likely that he will be in the lineup next year. Obviously we have no idea how he is going to play, but based on how highly he's held in the organization and his play at the college level, I would hope that he would perform better then the average "6th defenseman". If he's able to play well, we may have a very solid all around defense. Since we lack a clear cut number one defenseman, a well rounded defense will help make up for it. Think of it like a 2a, 2b, 2c type thing.

Now in a perfect world we'd trade Lydman, add someone else close to value at a cheaper contract and use that additional savings on forward help. That's really risky and unfortunately not likely because I don't think everything will fall into place like that. It's ideal but when you consider what's on the market this offseason, and how many questions we have going into next offseason, it doesn't seem like everything would work out that easy.

As I said we should definitely listen to offers for Lydman and if someone is really willing to ante up we should make the move. If it's something that will help our future (as i stated a malone for lydman move makes a lot of sense to me) or if someone is willing to overpay (1st or great prospect) then by all means do it. However in no way shape or form do we need to unload him, because he is a useful piece to the team.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
I realize that pencilling in Schultz is risky
I don't even think it's that risky. Pencilling in a highly regarded prospect for a #6 role is fine, if he fails there are dozens of guys who can be acquired to play in a #6 role for cheap and he can go to the minors easily enough. So long as Murray doesn't do what he's done in the past in pencilling Sbisa (and Fowler although Murray got lucky that Fowler was so good at such a young age) into a top four role when he had shown no indication of being ready.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote