HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Black still preaching patience

Old
01-30-2012, 01:07 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
What a shocker that you didn't understand Black's point or just chose to ignore it. You also seemed to have missed/ignored the hyperpole he used to make it. Which is surprising considering how often its used on this board.

Its simple. When many of your best players (Roy, Stafford and Miller, etc) are having career worst seasons. You're not going to win many games or make the playoffs. The hyperbole being even the league's best players aren't going to win when they are playing their worst. If you or anyone else actually thinks he is making a skill level comparison between any of our players and Gretzky and co then......

What Black said was correct and not really an earth shattering point to make

Thats not what he was talking about. Black was talking about whether or not this was a lost season. He didn't want to refer to this season as lost one YET. He gave a few reasons for that. One was he didn't want to give up on the possibility of making the playoffs yet. They still have a chance in his opinion. Another reason was he felt that sometimes teams grow and learn from season like this and it can lead to future greatness.

Black's comments weren't a call for patience. They were an arguement that this season wasn't a waste or a lost season. You don;t have to agree with him but thats what he is arguing.

The quote you used in the OP from the article has a falsehood in it. I guess you didn't notice it when you "read past the headline".
Exactly. All he is saying is when a bunch of key players are having their worst year, it is really hard to win and make the playoffs. Notihing more to read into it. As far as patience, again, I am more concerned bout actions that words.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:40 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
Exactly. All he is saying is when a bunch of key players are having their worst year, it is really hard to win and make the playoffs. Notihing more to read into it. As far as patience, again, I am more concerned bout actions that words.
It's really not all he's saying. He wants people to read into it. Guys like Ted work practically their entire lives to polish the ability to influence people's opinions with their words. If a certain percentage of the fan base will buy into Ted's comment, well, mission accomplished.

From Mike Harrington's chat:

1:51 [Comment From Greg: ]
I feel like we have the same group of guys and definately way more talented guys on the roster this year compared to last year and we made the playoffs last years. Is the chemistry really lost on this team, or is it just horrible luck that the players are really having there worst statistic year all at once?

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 06:14 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Terry Pegula could say tomorrow that Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier will never be fired.

That doesn't mean that they can't do it.
So the upside here is that our new owner may have started off his tenure by telling bald-faced lies to the press and ticket-buying public, and then had his right hand repeat those lies ad nauseam for the next year+?

That's great guys.

No coach should have that kind of job security, not in this league, not in any other. Certainly not one without a single championship.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 06:50 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
It's wrong for you to say that I didn't understand Ted's point (which seems to be more and more on the top of his head) or that the WGR writer included a "falsehood" in his story. The various points are very much open to debate. It's not black and white, your way or the highway.
Its not wrong of me at all.

Your opening post included this line from Malacaro's article; "...... he (Black) once again affirmed his belief in the team's head coach and general manager, as well as the players on the roster."

All one has to do is read Black's comments to know that he did not reaffirm his belief in the players at all; " ...our commitment is to winning and not to any particular group players that are labeled as a core or not a core."

How Malacaro could possibly interpret Black's comments as a reaffirmation of his belief in the players is beyond me. But he did and you went right along with his interpretation.

Then you come at me with "Most of us can read beyond the headline and editorial comments of the writer." How exactly did you do that? All you did was regurgitate those exact things to start this thread. Had you actually read beyond the headlines and editorial comments, you would have realized how flawed Malacaro's take is.

Thats not even getting into the fact that Black did not preach patience in his comments. Beechsack did a great job laying the flaws with that out.

Quote:
FWIW, most posters seem to have a very big problem with what Ted said
I'm willing to bet a decent chunk have no idea what his actual comments were and they were inflamed by the thread title.

Last edited by joshjull: 01-30-2012 at 07:11 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:05 PM
joshjull

Quote:
It's really not all he's saying. He wants people to read into it. Guys like Ted work practically their entire lives to polish the ability to influence people's opinions with their words. If a certain percentage of the fan base will buy into Ted's comment, well, mission accomplished.

From Mike Harrington's chat:

1:51 [Comment From Greg: ]
I feel like we have the same group of guys and definately way more talented guys on the roster this year compared to last year and we made the playoffs last years. Is the chemistry really lost on this team, or is it just horrible luck that the players are really having there worst statistic year all at once?
Your opinion was primarily shaped by Malacaro's article and its editorial slant. His editorial comments about preaching patience and his take on Black reaffirming his belief in the players were not from Black. Both were essentially made up elements by Malacaro that Black never put forth. Yet you believed them completely.

I find it laughable that you're now accusing those of us basing our opinions on what Black ACTUALLY SAID as the ones being led around by the nose.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:00 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
So the upside here is that our new owner may have started off his tenure by telling bald-faced lies to the press and ticket-buying public, and then had his right hand repeat those lies ad nauseam for the next year+?

That's great guys.

No coach should have that kind of job security, not in this league, not in any other. Certainly not one without a single championship.
And nobody knows what kind of security he actually has.

As JJ just said, we're being asked to either take what someone says literally, or read into it further, depending on what side of the argument you're on.

I'm willing to not give a crap about what they say, and just see what they do.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:45 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post

That's great guys.

What lies, exactly?

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:31 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
What lies, exactly?
In the post I quoted, the one where Pegula (hypothetically) comes out and says that Darcy and Lindy will never be fired, but then does it anyway.

Could he do that? Sure he could. But that would just make him a liar - and I don't see how that would be considered an improvement on the current situation.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:43 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Your opinion was primarily shaped by Malacaro's article and its editorial slant. His editorial comments about preaching patience and his take on Black reaffirming his belief in the players were not from Black. Both were essentially made up elements by Malacaro that Black never put forth. Yet you believed them completely.

I find it laughable that you're now accusing those of us basing our opinions on what Black ACTUALLY SAID as the ones being led around by the nose.
Ted reaffirmed his belief in Lindy and Darcy. That in itself is preaching patience.

He said the season isn't lost, which is both preaching patience and reaffirming belief in the players.

And the quote about Lemieux and Howe and all that can reasonably be seen as believing in the players. "They're just having fluky career down years that every player, even the great ones, have. It won't (and can't) happen again."

You can agree or disagree. Fine. But stop portraying a differing opinion as the foisting of a pack of lies onto the world or something.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:46 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Ted reaffirmed his belief in Lindy and Darcy. That in itself is preaching patience.

He said the season isn't lost, which is both preaching patience and reaffirming belief in the players.

And the quote about Lemieux and Howe and all that can reasonably be seen as believing in the players. "They're just having fluky career down years that every player, even the great ones, have. It won't (and can't) happen again."

You can agree or disagree. Fine. But stop portraying a differing opinion as the foisting of a pack of lies onto the world or something.

well done

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:58 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Differing opinions are one thing. Using convoluted logic and twisting words to fit your differing opinion is something else altogether.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:10 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Found this outside the arena.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote