HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Stuart may re-sign with Sharks in summer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2012, 04:27 PM
  #76
sr228
Registered User
 
sr228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I don't want Stuart. I do think he learned things that could be helpful, but I think the original issue remains.

I looked at the roster at the time of the trade. There was not a good hockey reason to be shopping Stuart for a forward. Stuart was being shopped before the trade was made. Not the same as Primeau or Sturm. If they had just wanted a forward for a dman, they would not have been sending out Stuart's name specifically over the wire.

I will remind others that I have said that Nolan would not be back and that has been exactly the case. I don't think that the case is as strong for Stuart, but I do think that it is still very strong. And, I do agree with the reasons, moreso for Stuart than Nolan.
What issues are you referring to with Stuart?

I don't remember hearing that he was a problem on or off the ice.

sr228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 04:29 PM
  #77
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 38,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I don't want Stuart. I do think he learned things that could be helpful, but I think the original issue remains.

I looked at the roster at the time of the trade. There was not a good hockey reason to be shopping Stuart for a forward. Stuart was being shopped before the trade was made. Not the same as Primeau or Sturm. If they had just wanted a forward for a dman, they would not have been sending out Stuart's name specifically over the wire.

I will remind others that I have said that Nolan would not be back and that has been exactly the case. I don't think that the case is as strong for Stuart, but I do think that it is still very strong. And, I do agree with the reasons, moreso for Stuart than Nolan.
I think Stuarts issues were more performance related than locker room or management issues like with Nolan who I also said would never wear teal again. I think Brad has overcome those issues and could be a good signing if the terms and timing are right. I don't believe like with Nolan that the door is shut or even close to being so.

__________________

It disappoints me that you can write a lyric very flippantly—and not a particularly good lyric—and it can mean so much to so many people. That's disillusioning for a writer - George Michael, Careless Whisper
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:46 PM
  #78
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I don't want Stuart. I do think he learned things that could be helpful, but I think the original issue remains.

I looked at the roster at the time of the trade. There was not a good hockey reason to be shopping Stuart for a forward. Stuart was being shopped before the trade was made. Not the same as Primeau or Sturm. If they had just wanted a forward for a dman, they would not have been sending out Stuart's name specifically over the wire.

I will remind others that I have said that Nolan would not be back and that has been exactly the case. I don't think that the case is as strong for Stuart, but I do think that it is still very strong. And, I do agree with the reasons, moreso for Stuart than Nolan.
Wasn't Wilson a bit desperate when he was shopping Stuart? The only thing I can remember that would have caused a lot of waves was the hold out, but that wasn't with Wilson...

I think not signing Nolan had a lot more to do with him being no longer fit to play in the NHL then a problem with management. Stuart doesn't have this problem and if he really does want to sign with San Jose at a good price Wilson would be a fool not to sign him. Seriously how often does that actually happen for the Sharks? Stuart would be a very valuable commodity.


Last edited by WantonAbandon: 01-26-2012 at 10:55 PM.
WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:52 PM
  #79
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
And guess who I saw over at SharksIce this afternoon...

Just sayin.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:54 PM
  #80
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
I think not signing Nolan had a lot more to do with him being no longer fit to play in the NHL then a problem with management.
There were definitely issues beyond health with Nolan and there was no way he was ever coming back.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 12:03 AM
  #81
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 38,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
And guess who I saw over at SharksIce this afternoon...

Just sayin.
Yeah, Brad Stuart comes back to San Jose all the time in his downtime. It's sort of his home where his family is. Just sayin'.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 12:19 AM
  #82
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Yeah, Brad Stuart comes back to San Jose all the time in his downtime. It's sort of his home where his family is. Just sayin'.
I know. That's why I added the 'just sayin' part.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 12:26 AM
  #83
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 38,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I know. That's why I added the 'just sayin' part.
He was doing it before he signed in Detroit too. Meaning, it's completely meaningless. lol

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 12:35 AM
  #84
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
He was doing it before he signed in Detroit too. Meaning, it's completely meaningless. lol
Which, again, was what I was trying to convey when......never mind.

On a positive note, he had his little boy with him all decked out in a Stuart jersey - I assume going for a skate. Cute kid.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:08 AM
  #85
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
If Murray goes, chances are we keep White and sign Stuart if reasonable.

If Murray stays, then we probably won't be getting Stuart unless Boyle is moved for cap space for whatever reason, or Demers/Braun is traded at the TDL.

If the moves are right and it works with the cap, I will gladly welcome back what helped get Thornton.

If Murray/White were swapped for Stuart for next season and Vlasic continues to add to his offensive game, the D becomes a lot less predictable as there would be at least 3 RHD and 2 LHD penciled in to be able to move the puck.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:41 AM
  #86
matt trick
Registered User
 
matt trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
If Murray goes, chances are we keep White and sign Stuart if reasonable.

If Murray stays, then we probably won't be getting Stuart unless Boyle is moved for cap space for whatever reason, or Demers/Braun is traded at the TDL.

If the moves are right and it works with the cap, I will gladly welcome back what helped get Thornton.

If Murray/White were swapped for Stuart for next season and Vlasic continues to add to his offensive game, the D becomes a lot less predictable as there would be at least 3 RHD and 2 LHD penciled in to be able to move the puck.
My thought as well. If we add Stuart it would add a new dynamic to our blue-line, as he'd be the only reasonably potent left handed d-man. Of course Demers is likely being shifted to LD as well, but he shoots right. Also, having five good puck movers on D would be awesome, and Vlasic is improving. Also, that is an extremely mobile defense core.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:13 AM
  #87
WTFetus
Moderator
Marlov
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 12,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Of course Demers is likely being shifted to LD as well, but he shoots right..
In the last few games that had the Braun - Demers pairing, Braun played LD almost exclusively. Seems like the coaches liked Braun's transition better.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:15 AM
  #88
matt trick
Registered User
 
matt trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
In the last few games that had the Braun - Demers pairing, Braun played LD almost exclusively. Seems like the coaches liked Braun's transition better.
Interesting, I haven't seen much of the last few. That probably is more ideal as Braun is more defensively inclined than Demers, meaning that we wouldn't have to pair Demers with Boyle or Burns.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:02 AM
  #89
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
My thought as well. If we add Stuart it would add a new dynamic to our blue-line, as he'd be the only reasonably potent left handed d-man. Of course Demers is likely being shifted to LD as well, but he shoots right. Also, having five good puck movers on D would be awesome, and Vlasic is improving. Also, that is an extremely mobile defense core.
It seems like DW and TM are trying both out at each position to see what sticks. I think Demers would be best but Braun is doing work.


IF*****
The Perrry trade goes down, we get Parise for prospect, goalie we dislike and a first.

Throw in Doherty.

Done,

If so, we ball out

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:51 PM
  #90
one2gamble
Registered User
 
one2gamble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
If Murray goes, chances are we keep White .
god save us

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:15 PM
  #91
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 38,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
god save us
With Braun and Demers both trying the left side, I wouldn't be too quick to believe that Colin White would stay one way or the other. If Stuart comes aboard, Murray probably is gone but it likely won't have any impact on whether White or Vandermeer stays...and that's especially if we miraculously landed Ryan Suter.

Suter-Burns
Vlasic-Demers
Stuart-Braun

Without Suter...

Vlasic-Burns
Stuart-Boyle
Braun-Demers

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:22 PM
  #92
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 9,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
With Braun and Demers both trying the left side, I wouldn't be too quick to believe that Colin White would stay one way or the other. If Stuart comes aboard, Murray probably is gone but it likely won't have any impact on whether White or Vandermeer stays...and that's especially if we miraculously landed Ryan Suter.

Suter-Burns
Vlasic-Demers
Stuart-Braun

Without Suter...

Vlasic-Burns
Stuart-Boyle
Braun-Demers
Agree - Stuart has no bearing on re-signing Vandy or White. We need a 7th dman regardless and I'd be fine with either as long as it is $1M or less

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:41 PM
  #93
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 38,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Agree - Stuart has no bearing on re-signing Vandy or White. We need a 7th dman regardless and I'd be fine with either as long as it is $1M or less
I can't imagine Colin White sticking around here for another season with his family still in Jersey. I think he'll find another place to play closer that will give him the clause like DW did especially if he's willing to play at his price.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:08 PM
  #94
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I can't imagine Colin White sticking around here for another season with his family still in Jersey. I think he'll find another place to play closer that will give him the clause like DW did especially if he's willing to play at his price.
Yah me either, and Vandermeer I have to imagine isn't super happy about the amount of playtime he's gotten here either, especially since he's looked pretty good most nights.

I expect both to be let go, and even if we swap Murray for Stuart, we still have Petrecki/Irwin in the minors who need NHL time. If we somehow jam Suter into our roster, our D becomes absurd. If we swap Suter for Boyle, still one of the best D's in the league.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:08 PM
  #95
WTFetus
Moderator
Marlov
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 12,526
vCash: 500
I could see Vandermeer going to Chicago (surprised he didn't go there last off-season). According to their fans, they could use a bottom pairing defenseman, and Seabrook is his best friend.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:10 PM
  #96
zombiekopitor
Registered User
 
zombiekopitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Best Coast
Posts: 3,777
vCash: 50
There's just no way we get Stuart and Suter, it would be killer but won't happen. and unless Boyle seriously stinks it up the last few months I don't see him getting moved. I mean really the start of the season when he had a broken foot and arguably the middle of the season last year when the whole team sucked are about the only times he was truly playing below his contract, can't hold either against him. He is still one of the top puck moving d men in the league, and as long as he's paired with a guy like Stuart or Vlasic he will excel.
With the market for Dmen if we can get Stuart for under 3mil even with a ntc would be a steal and I'd love to see it, we would be able to I'ce a competitive team w/o having to trade anyone away imo

FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Jamie McGinn ($1.000m) / Michal Handzus ($2.500m) / Lee Stempniak ($1.500m)
Brad Winchester ($0.825m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.575m) / Andrew Murray ($0.575m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Dan Boyle ($6.666m)
Brad Stuart ($2.750m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Jason Demers ($1.250m)
/ Justin Braun ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m) / Thomas Greiss ($0.587m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,664,167; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $635,833

better then this year and realistic, Stempniak might be a slight stretch but it depends if he wants to take a slight discount to play for a contender, like Malholtra did. There's also guys like Moss,Burish, even Brunette who would all possibly be a good fit there

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:01 PM
  #97
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 38,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Yah me either, and Vandermeer I have to imagine isn't super happy about the amount of playtime he's gotten here either, especially since he's looked pretty good most nights.

I expect both to be let go, and even if we swap Murray for Stuart, we still have Petrecki/Irwin in the minors who need NHL time. If we somehow jam Suter into our roster, our D becomes absurd. If we swap Suter for Boyle, still one of the best D's in the league.
Well, Vandermeer was hurt for a bit in this last stretch too and just recently came off of IR. The guys that are here should know that they're needed. DW and McLellan has said repeatedly how they will need 8 guys on D to progress in the playoffs. I don't think Vandermeer has that big of an issue but I wouldn't be surprised if he did leave after the year. He doesn't have any real ties here either. However, if he wants to come back, I don't see a good reason not to bring him aboard again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I could see Vandermeer going to Chicago (surprised he didn't go there last off-season). According to their fans, they could use a bottom pairing defenseman, and Seabrook is his best friend.
Hawks went after other guys and they have 8 d-men too.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:11 PM
  #98
WTFetus
Moderator
Marlov
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 12,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Hawks went after other guys and they have 8 d-men too.
Scott hardly counts as a defenseman, and 3 of them are UFA after this season.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:20 PM
  #99
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 38,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Scott hardly counts as a defenseman, and 3 of them are UFA after this season.
Vandy hardly counts as one either and he's UFA too.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:44 PM
  #100
WTFetus
Moderator
Marlov
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 12,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Vandy hardly counts as one either
What? He's a solid third-pairing defenseman with a decent first pass. You were even complimenting the signing in the off-season. He is nothing like Scott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
he's UFA too.
Hence me saying he could go to Chicago next season...

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.