HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

AHL affiliate in Memphis

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2012, 07:32 PM
  #1
Big Z Man 1990
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
AHL affiliate in Memphis

Could a future AHL affiliate in Memphis be feasible? Memphis is part of the market area for the Preds. And there are several choices for arenas too.

Big Z Man 1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:37 PM
  #2
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,266
vCash: 50
I would think you wouldn't want an affiliate quite that close. Folks who might otherwise come up for preds games may stay and watch the farm club instead.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:40 PM
  #3
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Z Man 1990 View Post
Could a future AHL affiliate in Memphis be feasible? Memphis is part of the market area for the Preds. And there are several choices for arenas too.
Which franchise would you relocate to Memphis?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:46 PM
  #4
Big Z Man 1990
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Which franchise would you relocate to Memphis?
None. I say Memphis gets an AHL expansion team when the NHL expands.

Big Z Man 1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:59 PM
  #5
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Z Man 1990 View Post
None. I say Memphis gets an AHL expansion team when the NHL expands.
Highly unlikely. The RiverKings dropped from the ECHL to the SPHL and the AHL is having a hard enough time keeping its current franchises stable. Last season was the first in a while when all AHL 30 franchises were active.

Any rush to expansion is counterproductive and there are better options for the AHL than Memphis.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:20 PM
  #6
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Highly unlikely. The RiverKings dropped from the ECHL to the SPHL and the AHL is having a hard enough time keeping its current franchises stable. Last season was the first in a while when all AHL 30 franchises were active.

Any rush to expansion is counterproductive and there are better options for the AHL than Memphis.
Could you name three for me? Just curious. I thought of Atlanta, but that may not work.

adsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:33 PM
  #7
pekkaslap
Registered User
 
pekkaslap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
Does Seattle or Portland have an AHL team?

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:34 PM
  #8
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Could you name three for me? Just curious. I thought of Atlanta, but that may not work.
Atlanta probably does work ... they only have to draw 5-6k per night to survive, not 15k+ like the NHL.

Seattle works ... add another team in addition to Seattle in the north west (possibly Portland, Ore) and Abbotsford is no longer out there all alone ... a nice little far west division that goes along with the Texas/Oklahoma cluster of teams.

If they look east, Baltimore and the return of the Skipjacks. Let's not forget that the AHL used to have a Lexington and Louisville presence.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:39 PM
  #9
Tootoo
Registered User
 
Tootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Being in Milwaukee, it kind of sucks that no one really has said they want the their affiliate to stay in Wisconsin. But oh well.

Tootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:42 PM
  #10
pekkaslap
Registered User
 
pekkaslap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
I thought the thread was for possible AHL expansion, not moving the Milwaukee franchise, lol. I think the Ads are fine where they are.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:50 PM
  #11
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo View Post
Being in Milwaukee, it kind of sucks that no one really has said they want the their affiliate to stay in Wisconsin. But oh well.
I don't think the improbable hypothetical team from an unforeseen AHL expansion is about to usurp Milwaukee's spot as the Preds affiliate any time soon.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:51 PM
  #12
codeyh
HFB Partner
 
codeyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cellblock 303
Country: United States
Posts: 462
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Memphis has the empty buildings, but that's about it.

Everything good about Memphis ends up in Mississippi.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:56 PM
  #13
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
Does Seattle or Portland have an AHL team?
WHL Franchises

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:01 PM
  #14
Drake744
Unregistered User
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,337
vCash: 500
Seattle actually has two WHL teams really. Seattle and Everett.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:01 PM
  #15
29dryden29
Registered User
 
29dryden29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,628
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Atlanta probably does work ... they only have to draw 5-6k per night to survive, not 15k+ like the NHL.

Seattle works ... add another team in addition to Seattle in the north west (possibly Portland, Ore) and Abbotsford is no longer out there all alone ... a nice little far west division that goes along with the Texas/Oklahoma cluster of teams.

If they look east, Baltimore and the return of the Skipjacks. Let's not forget that the AHL used to have a Lexington and Louisville presence.
The HABS are looking at moving the dogs closer to home. Talk is they may relocate them to Verdun

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 11:45 PM
  #16
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,882
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo View Post
Being in Milwaukee, it kind of sucks that no one really has said they want the their affiliate to stay in Wisconsin. But oh well.
Ehh, I like being affiliated with the Preds but fact is teams change affiliates all the time for a number of reasons. Just using the Brewers as an example. They've gone from West Virginia to Wisconsin, from High Desert to Brevard County, from Indianapolis to Nashville and they've been trying to get out of Huntsville.

If the Preds think it makes business sense to have a team closer to Nashville, more power to them.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:19 AM
  #17
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,409
vCash: 500
I have no problem with putting our AHL team in Memphis, but you're going to have to come up with a good reason as to why we should end our developmental relationship with the Admirals first. I would encourage you to take your time, but don't bother, because you won't find one.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:36 AM
  #18
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Memphis.... NO

Atlanta... YES

Milwaukee... HELL YES!

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:29 AM
  #19
Bongo
Registered User
 
Bongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Atlanta probably does work ... they only have to draw 5-6k per night to survive, not 15k+ like the NHL.

Seattle works ... add another team in addition to Seattle in the north west (possibly Portland, Ore) and Abbotsford is no longer out there all alone ... a nice little far west division that goes along with the Texas/Oklahoma cluster of teams.

If they look east, Baltimore and the return of the Skipjacks. Let's not forget that the AHL used to have a Lexington and Louisville presence.
As long as the Atlanta Spirit Group own Phillips Arena, there will be no hockey played there. If there was a change of heart by ASG, no self respecting hockey fan in the greater Atlanta area would set foot in the place even if the tickets cost $1 and the drinks were free.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:34 AM
  #20
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
As long as the Atlanta Spirit Group own Phillips Arena, there will be no hockey played there. If there was a change of heart by ASG, no self respecting hockey fan in the greater Atlanta area would set foot in the place even if the tickets cost $1 and the drinks were free.
Has the sale of the Hawks to Meruelo fallen through? It was supposed to include operating rights to the arena which eliminates ASG.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:56 AM
  #21
cjerina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Not feasible, at least in the current AHL arrangement.

Closest AHL city is Oklahoma City which is 7 hours away, for that reason alone I do not see it happening.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:07 AM
  #22
Bongo
Registered User
 
Bongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Has the sale of the Hawks to Meruelo fallen through? It was supposed to include operating rights to the arena which eliminates ASG.

Fell through a couple of months ago when the NBA learned ASG was putting up half of his money. The paranoid cynic inside me wants to believe it was all part of their elaborate ruse to get out of the hockey business.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.