HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gauthier article

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2012, 07:54 PM
  #26
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,029
vCash: 500
Everyone knows my opinion about Gauthier, but I have given up. I think Molson will keep him until year end. Now, I'm just really hoping he doesn't do any retarded moves to save his ass like the Kaberle trade

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:56 PM
  #27
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
1) Hamrlik is getting old (37 yo)
7pts with WSH playing on the 2nd PP wave


2) Molson said No! what can you do? I give you 10 millions in cap space. what do you sign with that money? (Richards was sure to sign with NYR)

3) He signed Campoli.
What you mean by young player? Leblanc/Tinordi/Beaulieu/Galagher?
a pick rarely gets you a top 3 proven D.
You are assuming #2. Provide any proof at all.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:57 PM
  #28
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWalkThroughWalls View Post
I never liked Martin as a coach. And I always thought he wasn't the right coach for this team.

But when the coach is the problem, you expect a quick turnaround when you fire him. That's what happened last year with New-Jersey, and that's what happened this year with the Blues. That's exactly what didn't happen with the Habs. Actually, it got worse.

Martin is not the one to blame for putting Plekanec at the point. He showed before he can organize a successful PP. He had nothing to work with this year.
We replaced JM with someone who has never coached an NHL team, did you expect him to take us to the cup?

They havn't hired anyone new because the options are not appealing, the season at that point is a write off so they are just riding it out. Expect a new coach in the offseason.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:01 PM
  #29
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Nah both of those sequences are martins fault for being a **** coach. Let me guess it is PG's fault the team can't run a power play is it? Martin refused to budge from his awful defensive style play at the beginning of the season leading to a awful start and only changed when his job was threatened and Pearn was canned. He slipped back into his old ways and this time there was no more excuses and he was fired.

End of story we move on and no one misses JM because frankly he is not an NHL level coach anymore.
ugh.. i would attribute massive injury to a .500 team that Martin lead. The PP instantly improved once Kabs got shipped here, which, for me anyways, is a sign that PP was lacking the proper personnel, not proper strategy. But that one is up in the air IMO, its just a simple observation by me. Stretch of loss after Martin got canned was more or likely attributable to inexperienced coaching, while having to deal with huge amount of outside pressure, 1/2 into the season. Personally i saw that streak come miles away when Martin got canned, no way and inexperienced coach could take the reigns of one of biggest circus shows in NA and make it click right away. Player motivation, as suggested, was very very low at that point. One reason, IMO, is because the players were playing under negative pressure (afraid of being traded, afraid of making mistakes, everyone is watching you!) and succumbed to panic. Like the management, like molson and like the fans.
I think PG has done great job adjusting to, what are most likely ridiculous pressure by molson and his investors breathing down his neck for profit maximization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Everyone knows my opinion about Gauthier, but I have given up. I think Molson will keep him until year end. Now, I'm just really hoping he doesn't do any retarded moves to save his ass like the Kaberle trade
i have a feeling you will be one angry dude this summer

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:02 PM
  #30
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
We replaced JM with someone who has never coached an NHL team, did you expect him to take us to the cup?

They havn't hired anyone new because the options are not appealing, the season at that point is a write off so they are just riding it out. Expect a new coach in the offseason.
Who's to blame for firing the coach and hiring someone with no experience while we're still in the hunt? You seem to excuse everything Gauthier does. He fired his coach for no reason and replaced him with an Anglo with no experience, haha. Then told everyone, don't worry, he'll be fired in the off season too. Great guy to work for.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:06 PM
  #31
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
ugh.. i would attribute massive injury to a .500 team that Martin lead. The PP instantly improved once Kabs got shipped here, which, for me anyways, is a sign that PP was lacking the proper personnel, not proper strategy. But that one is up in the air IMO, its just a simple observation by me. Stretch of loss after Martin got canned was more or likely attributable to inexperienced coaching, while having to deal with huge amount of outside pressure, 1/2 into the season. Personally i saw that streak come miles away when Martin got canned, no way and inexperienced coach could take the reigns of one of biggest circus shows in NA and make it click right away. Player motivation, as suggested, was very very low at that point. One reason, IMO, is because the players were playing under negative pressure (afraid of being traded, afraid of making mistakes, everyone is watching you!) and succumbed to panic. Like the management, like molson and like the fans.
I think PG has done great job adjusting to, what are most likely ridiculous pressure by molson and his investors breathing down his neck for profit maximization.



i have a feeling you will be one angry dude this summer
Our pp is still dead last, any improvements were insignificant. Aesthetics doesn't win games. I don't agree that the move worked. I agree proper personnel is/was the issue, but don't believe we acquired the guy with the solution.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:08 PM
  #32
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,347
vCash: 500
i'm starting to tend over to the side that thinks Molson is making alot of decision based on his financial statements.
If that's the case, PG is one tough guy to be working under such a premise and being asked to win.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:08 PM
  #33
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,051
vCash: 500
I don't the Powerplay is a personnel problem.

I think it's more strategy. The personnel hasn't changed much from last season. The one thing that did change was Muller leaving. Interestingly enough, I read on teh Carolina board about two weeks ago that they PP was running at like 35% since Muller came in(though I don't have any proof for that stat other than their word).

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:11 PM
  #34
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Who's to blame for firing the coach and hiring someone with no experience while we're still in the hunt? You seem to excuse everything Gauthier does. He fired his coach for no reason and replaced him with an Anglo with no experience, haha. Then told everyone, don't worry, he'll be fired in the off season too. Great guy to work for.
Agreed on this one... one can defend all the other moves... but this one, there's nothing to defend.

We were climbing up (slowly) the standings after a bad start, we had no "real" replacements, he basically told everyone Connie will not be here longterm...

really, wether we agree or not on the language issue, simple fact he (and Molson) had to tell medias/fans the NEW coach will be bilingual shows he was completely wrong on that one... and that he has no understanding of the Montreal market...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:12 PM
  #35
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Our pp is still dead last, any improvements were insignificant. Aesthetics doesn't win games. I don't agree that the move worked. I agree proper personnel is/was the issue, but don't believe we acquired the guy with the solution.
Our PP was (and sort of is) much more 'fluid' with Kabs in IMO. Personally i think we lack a good shot more then anything, which i see as in "it improved, but still ineffective" if that's possible..

Strategy is very possible also, though i have never really paid much attention to PP strategies in general, so i can't really argue that point.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:28 PM
  #36
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
We had one, his name was Subban. I know he doesn't look the part but long ago in a galaxy far far away PK used to hit the net.


Oh wait Gauthiers use of the force clouded Subbans mind and turned him to the unscoring side? Markov used to be decent on the PP too and was supposed to play, damn Gauthier causing Markovs meedical complications!
Oh, that's right... Subban was the PP QB last year.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:33 PM
  #37
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,708
vCash: 500
He is terrible at communicating with his players and staff.

That being said, I liked how he addressed needs when he saw them. The Wiz trade,Kaberle Trade,Cole signing... etc.

Sure he made bad trades but the fact of the matter is, we have a solid group of young players and have veterans to compliment them... We just need a young group of management to go with that young core.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:11 PM
  #38
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,905
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Gauthier has shown some real improvement in his ability to bring in talent at fair to limited value. No home runs (maybe Cole, but it's early in that contract), but a lot of competent moves, i.e. Schneider, Wiz.
i agree with the sentiment of your post and im not picking on you, but this stuff drives me insane: putting other people's moves on gauthier. some people here go as far as blaming the signing of gionta, cammy and gomez on gauthier. makes me all angry on the inside

oh yes, as i was saying, schneider wasn't brought in by gauthier.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:20 PM
  #39
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Who's to blame for firing the coach and hiring someone with no experience while we're still in the hunt? You seem to excuse everything Gauthier does. He fired his coach for no reason and replaced him with an Anglo with no experience, haha. Then told everyone, don't worry, he'll be fired in the off season too. Great guy to work for.
Firing JM was a good move, no need to make the team suffer playing such a terrible style when they knew they wanted to change it. They probably saw the young guys like Subban/Emelin and didn't want them ruined under his "style" and figured the sooner he is gone the better.

"Great guy to work for" awww did someone need a tissue? Do your job or you are fired, pretty simple. JM wasn't doing his job and this is not a charity. Did someone say Cunneyworth will be fired? Odds are he goes back to being assistant with half a season exp under his belt.

Any other straws to grasp at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Oh, that's right... Subban was the PP QB last year.

Was he not taking most of the shots from the point and on the 1st PP wave? Do you think they expected him to go from that to the total non-threat he is today? So yeah he was the PP QB on this team last year, mostly because we didn't have anyone else doing it as well.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:25 PM
  #40
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Firing JM was a good move, no need to make the team suffer playing such a terrible style when they knew they wanted to change it. They probably saw the young guys like Subban/Emelin and didn't want them ruined under his "style" and figured the sooner he is gone the better.

"Great guy to work for" awww did someone need a tissue? Do your job or you are fired, pretty simple. JM wasn't doing his job and this is not a charity. Did someone say Cunneyworth will be fired? Odds are he goes back to being assistant with half a season exp under his belt.

Any other straws to grasp at?
Good point and i hope that will be the case

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:28 PM
  #41
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,905
vCash: 1707
marble, wiz was the qb last year. subban was, and still is, the shooter on wall on the left side.

imo subban failure to score this year is because he is more covered than he was last year since we don't have a point-shooter (wiz double as that). that, and he telegraphs his shot in advance.

and he can't hit the net

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:32 PM
  #42
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
marble, wiz was the qb last year. subban was, and still is, the shooter on wall on the left side.

imo subban failure to score this year is because he is more covered than he was last year since we don't have a point-shooter (wiz double as that). that, and he telegraphs his shot in advance.

and he can't hit the net
Ah yes forgot about Wiz. The point is still there that Subbans shot has disappeared and that is what caused the powerplay problem. Maybe they would have re-signed Wiz if they thought that would happen but they didn't.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:41 PM
  #43
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL
 
Rise from the Ashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,915
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
In October no team is willing to trade any of their top four defenseman, hence Campoli.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 11:23 PM
  #44
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,905
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Ah yes forgot about Wiz. The point is still there that Subbans shot has disappeared and that is what caused the powerplay problem. Maybe they would have re-signed Wiz if they thought that would happen but they didn't.
i wanted the wiz back for sure, but at 5.5 for 6 years? so 5.5 for a second pairing d-man, not so much...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 05:47 AM
  #45
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
Personally, I believe Gauthier is by far the best GM the Habs have had since Serge Savard. The team Gainey left him deserved a chance to prove itself, and over the last two seasons, it appeared that it was only a few pieces from being elite. Now that that experiment is over, Gauthier has proceeded to start revamping the team to fit his vision.

He needs more time, plain and simple.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:02 AM
  #46
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Was he not taking most of the shots from the point and on the 1st PP wave? Do you think they expected him to go from that to the total non-threat he is today? So yeah he was the PP QB on this team last year, mostly because we didn't have anyone else doing it as well.
Um, a PP QB is not typically the shooter. A PP QB is a player who controls the entire PP like Markov did. He's typically the passer, the guy who carries the puck, etc.

Subban is and has always been the shooter. Last year Wiz was the QB. Without Wiz I didn't see PK being the threat he was last year. I didn't expect Markov to play so I was pretty disappointed when a QB was not signed. PK isn't having as much success because the PP is so atrocious that shooting lanes are easily blocked. Players don't move around and they can't pass for crap. Also, there is only 1 threat on the point and it's him...which makes him easy to cover. Last year, teams had to respect both his and Wiz's shot so they played off a bit....if they went after Wiz...he'd pass to PK. The PP moved around a lot more as well.

Kaberle does not shoot and does not have a hard shot therefore it's much easier to key in on PK.

The D situation all falls on Gauthier. He signed a player who hasn't played in like 2 years...only to find out that player is still injured and not playing this year. Many people called this happening.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.