HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone think the NHL is trying to make Giroux a Poster Boy?

Old
01-29-2012, 10:53 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

vCash: 500
Anyone think the NHL is trying to make Giroux a Poster Boy?

It seems that along with the emergence as a legit superstar this year statistically, the NHL has really been plugging him a lot more and trying to bring him up to "elite" level with Crosby, Ovechkin, Toews, etc. I remember when Richards was hitting his stride in 08ish thinking that it was going to happen with him, and while he was definitely rising, he was never brought to that level through publicity and what not.

Think about how Giroux's been treated this year...here are some examples that make me think it:

-Main Flyer promo'd for WC
-Player site on nhl.com now listed (first Flyer I've seen on there)
-Mic'd up for the All-Star game
-1 of 6 players used for AS promo pics
-Commercials. He's in the Verizon one, and was featured in the AS and WC ones as well
-Memorabilia has been excessive...he has like 10 different Fatheads now
-I've seen him used for ads on various websites
-Pierre basically...well, blows him during the game like he does for select superstars (Toews, Datsyuk, Crosby, you guys know what I mean)

There are other examples that are slipping my mind, but I just feel like the NHL is really pushing Giroux down our throats, more so than any Flyer since Lindros. I'm not complaining since I've loved him since he came up, it's just been sticking out to me and wanted to see what others thought. I understand he was high up on the scoring charts all year, but Kessel isn't getting this much attention...hell he's getting more airtime than Malkin.

Is it just because he's the first universally marketable superstar we've had in a while?

Last edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot: 01-29-2012 at 11:33 PM.
JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 11:42 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

He's fancy, he's finesse, has a wow factor...

All systems go!

POSTER BOY ENGAGED

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 11:45 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Would be pretty cool

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:21 AM
TheTaekster

They most certainly are marketing him heavily these days, and why shouldn't they? He's a marketable talent, putting up huge numbers, and plays in one of the biggest markets in the league.

TheTaekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Top Cheese Danish

Yeah, he's getting a lot of attention. He also had a pretty big media week with the Men's Health thing, the helmet press conference with Stamkos and the TV stuff (Off The Record interview and Cabbie).

He pretty much got the best exposure you could ask for with the HBO 24/7 series basically calling him a future superstar and the team's biggest star every week. It seems like he (or his management) is trying to cash in on some endorsements, so good for him. Of the younger guys in the league, he's one of the most marketable in that he's the first line center for a big market team, has an amicable personality and won't "stir the pot" (i.e. Mike Richards getting p.o'd at the Philly media all the time).

Also: Kessel and Malkin are maybe not the best comparisons here... they can both have 120 point seasons and still be two of the most unmarketable players in the league. Major language barrier with Malkin and Kessel is just painfully, painfully awkward at all times.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:28 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
He can be entertaining too. The NHL has noticed that during 24/7 and via G's twitter. I think this entire weekend really showed how entertaining hockey players can be, even if they seem really dry during interviews.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:09 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

How many francophones have their been in league history that you could have considered "poster boys"?

Mario Lemieux?

I honestly can't think of any others.
Could you have considered lecavalier a poster boy for a short time?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:04 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
How many francophones have their been in league history that you could have considered "poster boys"?

Mario Lemieux?

There was this guy named Maurice Richard. I think I've heard a couple good things about him. There was another guy named Jean Beliveau that people seemed to like a bit. Also, Patrick Roy was kinda popular at one time.

edit: Maybe not so much Lecavalier, but St. Louis seemed a little poster boy-ish for a stint.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:38 AM
CptCannon

NHL doesn't want their poster-boy to look like a monkey (Malkin) or a neanderthal (Kessel).

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:49 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
NHL doesn't want their poster-boy to look like a monkey (Malkin) or a neanderthal (Kessel).
This.

As my wife said about Roo during 24/7, "Well, he's about 10 degrees of adorable!". That always helps with being a "poster boy". She also said of Crosby, "he just strikes me as a whiny little *****."

I love my wife.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 06:00 AM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
This.

As my wife said about Roo during 24/7, "Well, he's about 10 degrees of adorable!". That always helps with being a "poster boy". She also said of Crosby, "he just strikes me as a whiny little *****."

I love my wife.
Haha you got yourself a catch.

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

vCash: 50
Crosby will be out of the league in a couple years so they are going to need new/young/great poster boys to sell the game.

Mr Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:44 AM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post

Mario Lemieux?

This is a joke, right? Brodeur, Roy, Bossy, Lafleur... Daigle?

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:44 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
Also: Kessel and Malkin are maybe not the best comparisons here... they can both have 120 point seasons and still be two of the most unmarketable players in the league. Major language barrier with Malkin and Kessel is just painfully, painfully awkward at all times.
I only put those two to diffuse any argument that it was solely based on his point totals this season.

Old
01-30-2012, 10:33 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
There was this guy named Maurice Richard. I think I've heard a couple good things about him. There was another guy named Jean Beliveau that people seemed to like a bit. Also, Patrick Roy was kinda popular at one time.

edit: Maybe not so much Lecavalier, but St. Louis seemed a little poster boy-ish for a stint.

See the problem with those names is richard and beliveau both played the game before the 'age of technology' if you will. The NHL and sports leagues in general didn't have television and the Internet and all the different types of media outlets we have today that are really essential in developing a "poster boy" as we perceive it.

I guess I should have clarified that im talking modern era. I did forget goaltenders existed, so I forgot to include Roy and Brodeur.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:37 AM
jagrgodr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
-
I have always wondered why certain players are on the NHL site. I remember when Kevin Weakes was on the Rangers as a backup goalie he was on the site.. and i was like WTF is a backup goalie doing on the main nhl site, one of the 10 or so people promoted?

I have a feeling that players pay to be there. Kevin Weakes, as you now know, is doing broadcasting. I bet his agents paid to be on the site. But i don't know.

jagrgodr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 11:39 AM
bryzgalovsky*

they are but a couple of those things listed have an explanation

Quote:
well, he was the flyers best player at that point so it makes sense

Quote:
actually chris pronger had a site too, plus giroux had a site since before the season started and he caught fire

Quote:
-Pierre basically...well, blows him during the game like he does for select superstars (Toews, Datsyuk, Crosby, you guys know what I mean)
i think that has more to do with pierre being a creepy player stalker who is suddenly the biggest fan of anyone who plays well and not some concerted effort by the nhl to make him a poster boy

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Yeah, definitely.

Loving it too.

Roo Mad Bro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:37 PM
MsWoof

I hope they ignore him and just let him play. I don't think he's that engaging of a personality, if that's what they're looking for, then again, it's not like Crosby even HAS a personality! As far as being miked up goes, NBC had different guys miked up than CBC. We had Hartnell and Lupul among others so a lot of guys were getting time in the spotlight. I would rather have someone like those two as the faces of the game because they're a lot of fun and very outgoing.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
I actually kinda like Phil Kessel for that. He seems kind of slow and uncomfortable being interviewed. Like when they asked him to give the last pick some advice. Part of you just wants to be like, aw man, c'mon just leave the poor kid alone.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I actually kinda like Phil Kessel for that. He seems kind of slow and uncomfortable being interviewed. Like when they asked him to give the last pick some advice. Part of you just wants to be like, aw man, c'mon just leave the poor kid alone.
I really like Phil Kessel too, despite him being so awkward. He seems like a really nice, normal dude. It's just that he's just not the type of guy they'll put in Gatorade commercials and such, you know? He doesn't have the look, and he's just really terrible in front of the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
We had Hartnell and Lupul among others so a lot of guys were getting time in the spotlight. I would rather have someone like those two as the faces of the game because they're a lot of fun and very outgoing.
Personality isn't really the main factor in "poster boy" status, though. With the exception of Ovechkin, all of the young NHL stars pulling in the most endorsements (Crosby, Toews, Stamkos, etc) are all either personality-free, or just "nice Canadian boys." Not too chatty and never controversial. Giroux fits into that category, which is probably why it seems the league is giving him the push.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:01 PM
MsWoof

Roo with Cabbie:

http://watch.tsn.ca/clip608294#clip608294

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
It seems that along with the emergence as a legit superstar this year statistically, the NHL has really been plugging him a lot more and trying to bring him up to "elite" level with Crosby, Ovechkin, Toews, etc. I remember when Richards was hitting his stride in 08ish thinking that it was going to happen with him, and while he was definitely rising, he was never brought to that level through publicity and what not.

Think about how Giroux's been treated this year...here are some examples that make me think it:

-Mic'd up for the All-Star game
-1 of 6 players used for AS promo pics
-Commercials. He's in the Verizon one, and was featured in the AS and WC ones as well
-Memorabilia has been excessive...he has like 10 different Fatheads now
-I've seen him used for ads on various websites

There are other examples that are slipping my mind, but I just feel like the NHL is really pushing Giroux down our throats, more so than any Flyer since Lindros. I'm not complaining since I've loved him since he came up, it's just been sticking out to me and wanted to see what others thought. I understand he was high up on the scoring charts all year, but Kessel isn't getting this much attention...hell he's getting more airtime than Malkin.

Is it just because he's the first universally marketable superstar we've had in a while?
So what is your issue with this?

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:50 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
So what is your issue with this?
I know this is HFBoards, but not every post has to be irate and complaining. Just sharing my thoughts and wanted to see if anyone else felt that way.

Old
01-30-2012, 10:06 PM
XS Chop

There's a ton of great things you can say about Giroux that can be said about other players in the league as well. One thing that makes him different is that he looks like a puppy dog that just got a new toy out there, every shift, on the bench, in interviews etc... He just genuinely loves to play the game. Guy's with his kind of talent that look like they'd play for free if no one was there to pay him don't come along too often. Crosby and Ovy don't have that kind of charm. There's no need for the NHL to market him the way they have with others, he does it himself naturally. The most die hard Flyers haters can't hate the kid, he's just too likable.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote