HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anyone have advice for a beginner?

Old
01-26-2012, 09:38 PM
shawn1331

vCash: 500
Don't worry buddy, I've been playing hockey since I was 9 and I'm 16 now. Every time I hit the ice I learn something new in my skating, whether it's tighter turns or a more powerful push. It will take you a year or 2 to be able to skate decently and do everything you want to (ie. Crossovers, backwards, pivots etc.) But just know that they are learning to. Even guys in the NHL can improve so in 10 years you will have learned alot of skating but it may not take you 10 years to learn all the fundamentals. After 2 I'd say you will know the basics and in 10 years you will have had tons of time honing the skills.

When you get comfortable on your skates join Scary Mary's skating school. She's right around where you are(I'm in Oshawa). I really wish I had of done this earlier. She will get you better conditioned and teach you how to skate "properly" as well as how to generate the most power out of your stride.

Another thing is to skate on ponds as much as you can. Ponds tend to be fairly uneven so it makes skating a bit periless, especially with a puck. They are usually a bit bumpy and have a few pressure cracks in them so if you can skate like the wind on those imagine what you can skate like on perfect ice.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Bexlyspeed

If you a playing with decent guys, even if its just skating around and passing, you will improve quickly. also just keep to the basics like keeping your stick down moving into space to receive passes, passing into space, positioning. if you do this stuff well you can get away with less skill while you are learning and hey even stickhandling in your livingroom with a tennis ball for 15 minutes a day will help you imrove.
stick with it and just have fun

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:01 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
I'm glad I found this thread I suck at skating and have always been discouraged to go skating, I think now i'm going to go and try to get better
I started skating towards the end of november so it's been almost 2 months. I as going 2-3 times a week every week. Took about 4 times for my balance to get really good so that I could push off consistently I was also not using the right skate size at all. I got mky own skates and have been working them in for 4 weeks. Started adding lessons on top of what I currently do at free skate. In 2 months I've gotten skating forwards and turning down pat. Can;t skate backwards at all yet though I havent put much effort into learning it just yet. I have been tryin g to learn how to stop. Usually to stop I just take a really sharp turn but the last time I went I stopped correctly a bunch of times so I will hopefully have that down soon.

I agree with pushing yourself out of your comfort level though it doesn';t mean you ahve to push too far and fall every 2 seconds. For instance in the 2nd week I was just getting the hang of pushing off correctly but could only push off with my right foot so I forced myself to go right to left and I watched other peoples feet. Then in the third week I realized I could only push off 4 times ina row twice with each foot. I'd push left right left right and then stumble or stop and glide. So I forced myself to push 8-12 times in a row. I'd stumble alot and fell a small handful of times but by week 4 It felt like I had hit a new plateau and i dont think ive stumbled since. I also forced myself to get on the ice without holding the wall. Dunno why but that STILL causes me to wobble a little when I first get on the ice lol. Continueing to skate while turning was also difficult I'd always glide in my turn so I forced myself to turn slightly skate forward while decreasing my turn angle and then finish my turn. I'm pretty close to just doing crossovers now without ever really practicing them because I got the hang of skating and turning simultaneously. You have no pressure at free skates so there's no real rush to kill yourself learning how to balance your body though im sure there ARE better drills you may not have access to them or instructors (I didnt)

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 01-28-2012 at 09:11 AM.
JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:25 PM
AIREAYE

[QUOTE=shawn1331;43221109][QUOTE=JimmyStart;43214735]........I got mky own skates and have been working them in for 4 weeks.......
Quote:

Put your skate guards on and take a shower, yes take a shower with your skates laced up. Then air dry them for a few days and repeat until they are comfortably broken in. If you think it may ruin them remember, it's just water and what is sweat and snow made mostly out of? water. But, to be on the safe side don't take a scalding hot shower.
Don't do this. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Work them in over time, don't break down the liner and don't rust out your rivets. Your reasoning between sweat and water is ridiculous. Just stop.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:58 PM
CPAir

[QUOTE=AIREAYE;43221563][QUOTE=shawn1331;43221109]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
........I got mky own skates and have been working them in for 4 weeks.......

Don't do this. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Work them in over time, don't break down the liner and don't rust out your rivets. Your reasoning between sweat and water is ridiculous. Just stop.

Hahaha, yes definitely don't do that.

CPAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:11 AM
JimmyStart*

That sounded very wrong. I would rather heat them. Part of the problem is I'm fairly certain I may be 1 size or half a size too big still. My toes are close but aren't brushing the front of the skate and I can feel the arch of the skate lined up about an inch ahead of the arch in my foot. I'm worried though that I've already broken it in for 5 weeks and I'm able to skate in them pretty well I don't want to return them and start from scratch all over but I may have to.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Guffaw

My toes don't brush when laced and standing straight up. I'm a 12 Nike and in a 10 Graf, but could probably get into a 9.75 or squeeze into a 9.5. If it's not causing an issue don't sweat it. You'll be thankful for that extra fraction of an inch if you take a shot off the toe cap.

Another good test is take the footbed out and put your foot on it. See where the arch is and where your toes are with the heel positioned correctly. My toes don't brush, but are at the end of the footbed so I know we're talking a millimeter or two.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:35 PM
newfr4u

OP,

for the rest of this post I will assume that you are at the beginner stage, not only in hockey, but in general physical preparedness. That simply means how well you will respond to "beginner" programming. A vast majority of people fall into this category.

here's the truth about training beginners. everything works. you can skate a ton and you will get in better playing shape. you can lift weights and it will help your hockey. as long as you do something, and push yourself over your previous limits, you will be improving. for beginners, overtraining is not a real concern if you remember to cherish your rest days and calories, and there is no such thing as getting worse by training. you are 20, with adequate calories and programming, your hormonal levels will allow you to make huge gains in strength and endurance, not to mention muscle mass and looking good naked.

to answer the question of nutrition, please post your height, weight, strength levels, body fat % if you have it. that will determine how large of a caloric surplus or deficit you will need.

now for programming, some things work better than others. you will gain more strength by lifting weights than skating for hours. on the other hand, you also need to skate in order to play, and finding the right balance between strength training, skill training, endurance training, playing games, and rest and recovery, is a big task.

having said that, it will help you to write down your skating schedule (games and practices) for the next 2-3 weeks, and find specific days when you can go lift, squeeze in extra practice, days when you can take completely for rest. if you'd like, post a sample, and i can tell you when to do what. but realistically, you should read a couple of books in the spirit of Starting Strength or Practical Programming for Strength Training.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:53 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Believe it or not I'm actually teaching a group of 30 year olds who have never skated at all... but hey after a few months, they're doing pretty okay

Just love what you are doing

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Hugh Madbrough

have fun and never, ever forget the beer when it's your turn to bring it.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:20 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
Work Hard. That's It.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote