HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hal Gill

Old
01-30-2012, 08:28 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
Gill is on our #1 PK unit and it has been effective but our #2 PK unit has been just as effective. The success of the PK has a lot more to do with team effort than it does with any one individual.

If some team thinks that Gill is the final piece of the puzzle they need to win and they are willing to pay for it, then trade him because we are missing more than one piece. Where we do have a surplus is in our PK talent so let's deal from a position of strength for a change.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:18 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

i like gill and im even open to the idea of bringing him back as a 7th d next year but, the 3rd or 2nd he will fetch us is important.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Ginu

When we lose him, that'll be a huge loss for our locker room and we'll be on pace for our lottery pick. DON'T SCREW THIS UP GAUTHIER

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Born in 1909
Vive la France!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
When we lose him, that'll be a huge loss for our locker room and we'll be on pace for our lottery pick. DON'T SCREW THIS UP GAUTHIER
Very true.

When Gill is gone it will hurt the team NOT help the team.

Its as simple as that.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:15 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Very true.

Its as simple as that.
There is a guy wasting away in Hamilton who could easily replace Hal Gill if we unload him. His name is Alex Henry. He is the only DMan in Hamilton to have a +. He is +4. The next best DMan is St-Denis at -1.

Henry could easily replace Gill and add much needed toughness to this team. I dont know who Henry pissed off but he has not been given a chance. Worst case scenarion would be that he is equally as ineffective as Gill but would at least stand up for his teammates.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:14 AM
idk

Quote:
Very true.

Its as simple as that.
Even if you accept this premise (and there are plenty of people out there who do not) the fact of the matter is that Gill is a pending UFA. Unless we are serious about making a run for the cup (and I don't think we are - a serious run at the playoffs is within reach, but not the cup) then I think Gill could be used to net valuable picks/prospects if moved to the right team (right now Chicago and San Jose have abysmal PK numbers - Gill could improve those statistics rather quickly). Of course I'd want to squeeze them a little bit, but I think we could get a decent prospect out of either of those teams. A guy like Hayes would be nice from Chicago - rough around the edges but almost NHL ready. A big body (6'5" I think) with soft hands. I don't know enough about Chicago's talent pool to suggest he's available, but he might be.

This makes winners of us all. We get a prospect. Gill gets another shot at the cup. If Gill wants to come back then we can sign him in the off-season (and if he doesn't want to come back he wasn't coming back anyways).

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:23 AM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
For the life of me I just can't imagine even considering trading that guy. He's like a fine wine, in which he keeps getting better. He is one player that we cannot replace. He's a major reason why our PK is #1 in the NHL. Him not being signed blows my mind.....Getting rid of him will be another bone head mistake that our beloved GM will surely make. I realize we have to groom the young kids but we still need a vet like him. Hal Gill on a 5 on 3 penalty kill is irreplacable.
Pleks and Moen are,all hes good at is blocking the passing lanes and i dont know what your hoping for but its obvious he wont get resigned this offseason,not only that but he will get traded if the habs arent in a playoffs position come deadline

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:26 AM
SnapVirus

Gill is only good in playoffs and on PK. On 5-5 hes a terrible bad asset. I'd rather see Weber on 5-on-5 than Gill, who cant skate.

On a contender team hes a big plus to have, cauze you can manage your bench and use other superstars dman instead of him at 5-on-5 who can eat big minutes.

On our team, I'd trade him for what I can (2nd pick, prospects, etc.). If we can manage to bring in a couple of 2nd rounders, I would't be surprised if Timmins do his best draft ever this year. We are drafting in the range of 5-10. And thats goes on to the 2nd and 3rd and 4th, and so on, rounds.

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:38 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Gill is good in the room but he's a liability 5 on 5. He's good on the PK, but that's it. He brings nothing offensively and routinely gets beat in his own end. Not to mention he's soft.

The PK may be worse when he's gone, but if he's replaced with a guy who's tough, can skate and can chip in the odd goal...he won't be missed.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:37 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

I would trade Gill for a #2 pick. Any less than that probably best we keep him. Would try to flip that pick for Gaustad, lock him up long term. Habs need some physical size down the middle not to mention a face-off artist.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:48 AM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
I would trade Gill for a #2 pick. Any less than that probably best we keep him. Would try to flip that pick for Gaustad, lock him up long term. Habs need some physical size down the middle not to mention a face-off artist.
I don't understand why it would be best to keep him. He is an ageing UFA on a team that is going to miss the playoffs? Is a third rounder not better than 20 games of Hal Gill when in tank mode? Even a 6th rounder is better than 20 games of Gill when in tank mode.

Try to trade all UFAs for the best possible pick. If it happens to be the going price is the last pick of the draft, so be it.

I would also love Gaustad on the team, but I would never trade a #2 pick for the rights to Gaustad....huge overpayment.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Furry

Quote:
For the life of me I just can't imagine even considering trading that guy. He's like a fine wine, in which he keeps getting better. He is one player that we cannot replace. He's a major reason why our PK is #1 in the NHL. Him not being signed blows my mind.....Getting rid of him will be another bone head mistake that our beloved GM will surely make. I realize we have to groom the young kids but we still need a vet like him. Hal Gill on a 5 on 3 penalty kill is irreplacable.
This team needs to score. Yes great penalty killer, but so are Plekanec's and Gorges.

Furry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Very true.

Its as simple as that.
Our PK was #1 even when Gill was injured...

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:17 PM
Keegs
Rookie User

Quote:
I do not agree...i think he's been very steady....Are you sure your not thinking of Subban ?
I agree that his 5 on 5 isn't up to par, but he's doing much better than Subban right now. He's also more reliable on the PP, IMO.

Keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:20 PM
larek

Quote:
time to move him- time for a new direction and change- Gill is good on the Pk- but he has slowed down even mroe if thast posiible- and makes alot of goofs and gets beat too much 5 on 5- got to be the slowes non physical player in teh league

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:25 PM
hockeyfan2k11

The PK success has more to do with the system than it does Gill or Gorges. They're both solid on the PK, but the team has been successful without either of them on the ice. Gill brings NOTHING besides the PK. He's a 7th dman at best.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote