HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

According to one random NHL 'man', AK not a very interesting player to them

Old
01-31-2012, 09:13 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Nice article by Mathias Brunet, according to many GM, Ak is not worth much cause he is not a player you can rely on. http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...7_accueil_POS2
Tempermental Russians not all GMs willing to gamble a big contract on. Especially AK, he can't play the PK, usually among league leaders in turnovers in offensive zone. But I imagine there'll be one GM that will. Nashville be most likely given his brother is there and teams in hunt for third line 20 goal scorer not overwhelming.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:36 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Funny, that article was in French and you had trouble understanding it. Maybe because your hate for that one player is getting in the way of your comprehension. Or maybe you're not a Francophone.

Two people were approached for the article - nowhere does it say they were GMs to start off. Brunet refers to them as hockey men - that probably means scouts. Secondly one of them didn't like Andrei but the second saw Andrei as the best of the lot (Gill, Moen, Weber).

Learn to read before you create BS threads.
That's Francois Gagnon's HF account didn't you know?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:37 AM
Habs12max

Quote:
Nice article by Mathias Brunet, according to many GM, Ak is not worth much cause he is not a player you can rely on. http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...7_accueil_POS2
Wow, misleading title, learn to read more than than two lines or learn french. One say that ak is inconsistent, the other one say that he is talented and can help a team going foward in the playoff. Change the title please you wasted my time.

Habs12max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:38 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
hey look, patof with an article talking **** about andré!

good, we'll keep him then

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Andy

Can the mods change the title to actually reflect what was written in the article?

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:43 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Drive that market price down baby! Woo!

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:11 AM

Player value isn't uniform...AK can have very little value for team A and much higher value for team B.

There are too many variables to consider to only take the opinion of one GM.

The Chicago Blackhawks might loose Hossa for the year tonight, maybe around the trade deadline Andrei Kostitsyn becomes very attractive for them.

Either way, I think the Habs will be able to lock in Kostitsyn in the 3.5M range...so I'd rather they keep him

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think they are underestimating the return on those guys. Moen will get at least a 3rd probably a 2nd if he his the market. Gill I can see where we may have to take a 3rd, his 5 on 5 contributions are minimal, but moving him would open up more ice for Emelin Diaz and Weber.

AK given that few skill forwards are on the market, once Hemsky and Ruutu move his value should be solid. If he can get hot over the next few weeks to could rise from there. Yeah he is inconsistant but so are 60% of NHL players. Kessel is as streaky a player as you'll find and he is among the top scorers.

Weber I wouldn't move him unless an offer was too good to refuse.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think they are underestimating the return on those guys. Moen will get at least a 3rd probably a 2nd if he his the market. Gill I can see where we may have to take a 3rd, his 5 on 5 contributions are minimal, but moving him would open up more ice for Emelin Diaz and Weber.

AK given that few skill forwards are on the market, once Hemsky and Ruutu move his value should be solid. If he can get hot over the next few weeks to could rise from there. Yeah he is inconsistant but so are 60% of NHL players. Kessel is as streaky a player as you'll find and he is among the top scorers.

Weber I wouldn't move him unless an offer was too good to refuse.
I don't think it's prudent to guesstimate player value...it's a surefire way to be disapointed when the eventual return, doesn't meet our expectations.

Right now, I don't think Hal Gill could get alot in a trade, but I think 'need' drives player value.

All you need is one team that all of a sudden sees they have a need for a certain type of player, and his value goes up

I'm not putting any expectations on what our pending UFA's could get...too early to tell and right now, they're all worth more to the Habs then they are to another team

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:28 AM
elsubz

IMO these GM's read too much hfboards.

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

No one seemed for want Sergei Kostitsyn either when he was a Hab.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:37 AM
LyricalLyricist

Maybe I misread, but apparently this isn't 'according to an NHL GM' but a guy employeed by a hockey team? Not to mention, 1 guy said Kostitsyn isn't favourable and moen isn't good, the second guy seemed much more logical and suggested Moen can help a team's PK and Kostitsyn might be interesting for a team who would like to keep him afterwards.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Bullsmith

AK doesn't have massive value, but he certainly has some. He's big, he hits and he's an established 20+ goal scorer in his prime. He's not terribly overpaid, nor does it look like it will cost a stupid amount of money to sign him. Happy to keep him, myself, but I'm also quite confident that a playoff team that lacked scoring on the wing would be attracted to a player like AK.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:41 AM
Help
Help Yourself

They don't want AK?

Good. All the more reason to keep him

Help is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:43 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
There is so much wrong with this post - starting with basic reading comprehension...

"many GM" - he talked to two

"not worth much" - one thought he was inconsistant, the other really valued his talents

"he is not a player you can rely on" - not one of them said that.

And the title thread is just as nonsensical. I'm guessing Benny Brunet and his sheep will be hard at work bashing AK for the foreseable future.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:44 AM
SeriousHabs

The sample size of one NHL GM is enough to make a generalization, because statistics are stupid.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
They say that now, but by the time it reaches deadline day and a few people lost out on other deals, they'll come calling.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:49 AM
SeriousHabs

Brunet says that Moen and Gill shouldn't get decent returns, as in nothing more than a 2nd round pick for each. Seems like an awesome return imo.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Brunet says that Moen and Gill shouldn't get decent returns, as in nothing more than a 2nd round pick for each. Seems like an awesome return imo.
If we get a 2nd for both players I'd be really really happy. Not sure what Brunet possibly thinks we can get for either player. A possibility of adding 2 2nd round picks for 2 players that we no longer plan on keeping going forward, that seems awesome to me

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:55 AM
gillyguzzler

Just looking at a playoff contender like the LA Kings, their left side looks like :

Kyle Clifford
Dustin Penner
Scott Parse (injured)
Simon Gagne (injured)

You think they'd like AK in Clifford's spot (9 points) or in Penner's spot (11 points). Even Travis Moen is an upgrade on Penner. I don't know who would be in play coming back but it's evident that AK would be a tremendous help this team.

AK-Kopitar-Brown... not a bad 1st line!

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Kriss E

Dustin Penner isn't someone you can rely on, how much did the Kings pay for him again??

OP has already admitted to not being a fan anyways..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:56 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
If we get a 2nd for both players I'd be really really happy. Not sure what Brunet possibly thinks we can get for either player. A possibility of adding 2 2nd round picks for 2 players that we no longer plan on keeping going forward, that seems awesome to me
I'd be very happy with a 2nd and a 3rd. I'd be more than willing to get say 2 4ths along with a bottom 6, bottom pairing type type prospect who has moderate success in the AHL. I feel it's important to stockpile and while higher picks are better, the combination interests me as well because in 2 years time, I don't want to be signing band aids again so having NHL ready depth players at a young age would help us avoid MOST fillers.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
A 2nd round pick for Gill wouldn't be awesome, it'd be a steal.
A 2nd for Moen sounds about right, if we look at the Moore trade a few years back. Wouldn't be surprised if he fetched us that.

Anyways, it's funny to hear these guys speculate, even if they are part of the league. All you need is two GMs really interested in the same guy for it to be a bidding war. It could happen for any player.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BobbyFischer*

To Toronto:

Andrei Kostitsyn

To Montreal:

Joey Crabb, 7th round pick 2012

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Go Habs Go

We will get more for Gill or Moen then what we could get for AK. Its better to resign him if thats the case but he can't go over 3 mil.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote