HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#CBJFanProtest @ Nationwide Arena | Saturday 1.28.2012, 2PM

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2012, 05:23 PM
  #976
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,182
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I hope people understand what I'm saying here. Let's focus on actions that build on what happened Saturday instead of dividing us.
Passive momentum, there are many ways to describe it but little "tweeks" lol here and there are ok, nothing drastic but we don't want to be forgotten. I'm hoping actions as Saturday are not needed again, ever, but as you say, we can't take the possibility off the table. We must stay united, division is a result killer and frankly would be embarrassing..

BTW, it was awesome meeting everyone at the rally including but not limited to DSL and Wooten... sort of funny, DSL and Wooten met for the first time too....


Last edited by Robert: 01-30-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Robert is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 05:27 PM
  #977
Doug19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: Aland Islands
Posts: 6,150
vCash: 500
I doubt there will be division amongst the fan base when it comes to this issue. This issue is about as big of a slam dunk as you can get. Can't think of anybody who could rationally believe the current regime is getting the job done, well other than the guy writing the checks.

Doug19 is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 05:56 PM
  #978
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I doubt there will be division amongst the fan base when it comes to this issue. This issue is about as big of a slam dunk as you can get. Can't think of anybody who could rationally believe the current regime is getting the job done, well other than the guy writing the checks.
The bold is the scary part. Can't fire the owner and he's part of the braintrust too.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 06:01 PM
  #979
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,042
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I doubt there will be division amongst the fan base when it comes to this issue. This issue is about as big of a slam dunk as you can get. Can't think of anybody who could rationally believe the current regime is getting the job done, well other than the guy writing the checks.
Well you have Derby, Wooten, 1857 Howitzer and Viqsi to name a few, but that's a vast minority, less than 1% of the fan base.
Most of us are tired of the losing and support the protests.

Timeless Winter is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 06:04 PM
  #980
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman
 
1857 Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Well you have Derby, Wooten, 1857 Howitzer and Viqsi to name a few, but that's a vast minority, less than 1% of the fan base.
Most of us are tired of the losing and support the protests.
Wait what?

Just because I did not go and said I do not believe in protests does not mean I do not support some of the message. And I will leave it at that because your statement is just flat out ignorant.

BTW Wooten was at the protest.


Last edited by 1857 Howitzer: 01-30-2012 at 06:22 PM.
1857 Howitzer is online now  
Old
01-30-2012, 06:07 PM
  #981
Crisp Breakout
Registered User
 
Crisp Breakout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
I'm against walking out of a game or something crazy like that. Anything that makes it seem like we have poor etiquette will work against us in the media. Also, I think it's best if we separate the ASG from this protest entirely. No need to seem bitter about the event because they tried to drown out the negatives with that positive.


I'd say that we accomplished all that we could hope for this past weekend. It would be irrational to expect the organization to bring in a new GM and President due to our protest. However, we most definitely got the message across that we care and are getting uneasy. In fact, if what some have reported is true, there might even be employees that report to Mr. Priest monitoring this very thread. Perhaps it will serve as a bit of a reminder as we head into the trade season that fans will be outraged (more so than normal) if there is not a good return on players - namely Jeff Carter.

To me it seems that our approach should now be a vigilant, albeit passive, one. Let's watch what happens at the trade deadline both with skepticism and excitement. If it seems like this team really is going in a direction that looks bleak, we should step it up. If it looks promising, well then we can sit back and hope this year does not repeat itself. Nonetheless, we should be proud of the fact that we elicited a response from the owner himself and wait to see how the situation shapes up.

Should the need for a bigger protest come about, we are that much better prepared. There are over 1000 users in the Facebook guest list that 3 of us, (and I can extend this privilege to the main organizers if they'd like) can message at the click of a button. We've made a few media contacts, shown would-be protestors that there will be a crowd, and know what goes into creating the event.

Crisp Breakout is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 06:30 PM
  #982
postalpez
Registered User
 
postalpez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
I'm against walking out of a game or something crazy like that. Anything that makes it seem like we have poor etiquette will work against us in the media.
I'm with you on a walk out. I kinda like the idea of staying outside for 1/3 or 2/3 of a game. It lets the media get the story and lets the cbj get the ticket scans for revenue sharing.

postalpez is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 06:30 PM
  #983
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,182
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
I'm against walking out of a game or something crazy like that. Anything that makes it seem like we have poor etiquette will work against us in the media. Also, I think it's best if we separate the ASG from this protest entirely. No need to seem bitter about the event because they tried to drown out the negatives with that positive.


I'd say that we accomplished all that we could hope for this past weekend. It would be irrational to expect the organization to bring in a new GM and President due to our protest. However, we most definitely got the message across that we care and are getting uneasy. In fact, if what some have reported is true, there might even be employees that report to Mr. Priest monitoring this very thread. Perhaps it will serve as a bit of a reminder as we head into the trade season that fans will be outraged (more so than normal) if there is not a good return on players - namely Jeff Carter.

To me it seems that our approach should now be a vigilant, albeit passive, one. Let's watch what happens at the trade deadline both with skepticism and excitement. If it seems like this team really is going in a direction that looks bleak, we should step it up. If it looks promising, well then we can sit back and hope this year does not repeat itself. Nonetheless, we should be proud of the fact that we elicited a response from the owner himself and wait to see how the situation shapes up.

Should the need for a bigger protest come about, we are that much better prepared. There are over 1000 users in the Facebook guest list that 3 of us, (and I can extend this privilege to the main organizers if they'd like) can message at the click of a button. We've made a few media contacts, shown would-be protestors that there will be a crowd, and know what goes into creating the event.
Good post, the engine is on idle but still running and ready to roll...

As DSL said the thread is almost dead due to post count (thank you DSL for giving us a few more posts) so I'm going to refrain from further posting so others can give a final opinion... I'd like to see plong123 and MTM finish it up... awesome thread and work.. Comments from Carl Bennett and LTL would be nice but they do not post here.

If this is it for HF board go to Light the Lamp or Facebook (CBJfanprotest!) .... Facebook is going to go on until the end.. A shout out to Blogger Dark Blue Jacket as well, he was there albeit not a protester... As for the blog "The Cannon", disappointed, he must have some steel in his family..

Add me to that FB guest list thing Mr. Crisp... thanks to all.


Last edited by Robert: 01-30-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Robert is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 06:42 PM
  #984
EdwardG
North!
 
EdwardG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 476
vCash: 500
What would you guys think if the owner announced that Howson was fired, a President will be hired to handle the on-ice product, and Priest reassigned/moved to simply handling the business side of things. This to me would be acceptable as long as I believe Priest had no say in the on-ice product and no say in hiring a GM, coach, scout, system, etc.

EdwardG is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 06:43 PM
  #985
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman
 
1857 Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
What would you guys think if the owner announced that Howson was fired, a President of will be hired to handle the on-ice product, and Priest reassigned/moved to simply handling the business side of things. This to me would be acceptable as long as I believe Priest had no say in the on-ice product and no say in hiring a GM, coach, scout, system, etc.
That would IMO be ideal. Wait what am I saying? I like losing hockey and don't want change, right TW?


Last edited by 1857 Howitzer: 01-30-2012 at 06:51 PM.
1857 Howitzer is online now  
Old
01-30-2012, 08:03 PM
  #986
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Well you have Derby, Wooten, 1857 Howitzer and Viqsi to name a few, but that's a vast minority, less than 1% of the fan base.
Most of us are tired of the losing and support the protests.
If you're going to keep track, I'd like to at least think you'd find the many comments about my being there in this very thread.

I'll be honest though, I'm not a 'protest-y' kind of guy, but I had to stop by if for no other reason to support the passion of my fellow fans. While I may not necessarily agree with each and every person at that rally, I absolutely understand the need for it. If the fact that I don't necessarily need to see Howson and Priest's heads in bags at the end of the day makes me less of a supporter, so be it.

Not sure what you hope to accomplish by listing who did or didn't go or who supports what. It's divisive and of no benefit to anyone. You should take Capn's most recent post to heart.

SuperGenius is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 08:25 PM
  #987
plong123
Litebrite Stinger
 
plong123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Stretchrunston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
What would you guys think if the owner announced that Howson was fired, a President will be hired to handle the on-ice product, and Priest reassigned/moved to simply handling the business side of things. This to me would be acceptable as long as I believe Priest had no say in the on-ice product and no say in hiring a GM, coach, scout, system, etc.
I've considered this angle and I agree, this might be acceptable. The guy doesn't know hockey, he doesn't have hockey contacts, he doesn't know a crisp breakout from a limp wrister, we get it. But he does know his numbers, and maybe he's a competent individual, just in the wrong position. If he was COO instead of CEO it might be a better direction.

Robert, as far as trying to put a cap on this thread as it goes to bed, I think everyone's pretty much said their peace at this point.

We will talk again, though.

plong123 is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 08:38 PM
  #988
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
I'm against walking out of a game or something crazy like that. Anything that makes it seem like we have poor etiquette will work against us in the media. Also, I think it's best if we separate the ASG from this protest entirely. No need to seem bitter about the event because they tried to drown out the negatives with that positive.


I'd say that we accomplished all that we could hope for this past weekend. It would be irrational to expect the organization to bring in a new GM and President due to our protest. However, we most definitely got the message across that we care and are getting uneasy. In fact, if what some have reported is true, there might even be employees that report to Mr. Priest monitoring this very thread. Perhaps it will serve as a bit of a reminder as we head into the trade season that fans will be outraged (more so than normal) if there is not a good return on players - namely Jeff Carter.

To me it seems that our approach should now be a vigilant, albeit passive, one. Let's watch what happens at the trade deadline both with skepticism and excitement. If it seems like this team really is going in a direction that looks bleak, we should step it up. If it looks promising, well then we can sit back and hope this year does not repeat itself. Nonetheless, we should be proud of the fact that we elicited a response from the owner himself and wait to see how the situation shapes up.

Should the need for a bigger protest come about, we are that much better prepared. There are over 1000 users in the Facebook guest list that 3 of us, (and I can extend this privilege to the main organizers if they'd like) can message at the click of a button. We've made a few media contacts, shown would-be protestors that there will be a crowd, and know what goes into creating the event.
I agree with Capn on this one. We should take no legal option off the table. From the way you guys handled yourselves last week, you've earned the trust that we won't do anything rash or anything that will hurt the team. There's no division, only Union Blue.

leesmith is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 10:11 PM
  #989
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,182
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
I've considered this angle and I agree, this might be acceptable. The guy doesn't know hockey, he doesn't have hockey contacts, he doesn't know a crisp breakout from a limp wrister, we get it. But he does know his numbers, and maybe he's a competent individual, just in the wrong position. If he was COO instead of CEO it might be a better direction.

Robert, as far as trying to put a cap on this thread as it goes to bed, I think everyone's pretty much said their peace at this point.

We will talk again, though.
Thank you Patrick....

Robert is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 11:30 PM
  #990
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!
 
MattTheMask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
CBJ Fan Protest Wrap Up

Saturday was certainly a success and a positive event for the Jackets fan community. 300 strong were there. I know there was someone here on HF asking about that number. I know a friend that was sitting above the crowd who did a head count on 2 different occasions, additionally I had a couple friends on the ground walk around and do some head counting. I would also like to point out that others saying 250-300, that was taken at its highest point. There were attendees who came for the first half hour but had to leave for family/work and others who could only participate in the last half hour. Hockey takes attendance for the entire game, why should it be different for the protest?

The Jumbotron and ASG . . . . Wow. This is what we are dealing with, and it was a typical CBJ move to play the Priest interview with Bettman 5 times consecutively on loud speakers, then when we were done to stop it immediately. Classless. As for the ASG, I firmly believe that this community and the uprising had something to do with it. When was the last time they announced next years ASG on the weekend of the current one? Coincidence, I think not. This fan base is smarter than that, and I know some strings were pulled to speed up the announcement.

There are a lot of people that probably regret not going. This is probably because of worries that it would only be a handful of people, or concerns about violence, anger etc. I wish these people would have still participated, as you cannot replicate the first time experience.

The media attention garnered from this was simply incredible. NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, Dispatch, Canadian newspapers, 610am radio, 97.1, and the list goes on and on. The fact that Gary Bettman responded to us is unreal. This certainly displays to ownership, and management that we are certainly capable of something like this and I doubt if they underestimate us again. We had a justified message and ownership is aware of our concerns now. Whether they act on those concerns is a different story.

I would like to finish up by thanking all of HF, and the entire community once again. Absolutely astounding, and I could not be happier with the passion displayed. I think an event like this will build bonds and it was nice for the HFers to finally meet one another. I think this is an important note that I did not see brought up before, but I am of the strong belief that we now have a special type of camaraderie on these boards, and outside these boards now. It was a thrill to work with the organizers, and meet all those who attended. Everyone really did his or her part. I saw where Zoo16 had live streaming, unbelievable. Others here made signs, took pictures, participated, and made an impact. Even those who could not or did not attend, even by spreading the word, and supporting this protest you played your part and helped out.

What a journey these last 7 days have been with you all. This is something I will NEVER forget for the rest of my life, and I will cherish the memories. Remember the 300!!!!!

-MTM

MattTheMask is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 11:51 PM
  #991
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,182
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Thank you Mr. Garret, well said...

There are a few posts possible left, when the mods are ready close her down!!!

GO JACKETS!!!!!!

Remember the 300!!!


Last edited by Robert: 01-31-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Robert is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 01:49 AM
  #992
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheMask View Post
The Jumbotron and ASG . . . . Wow. This is what we are dealing with, and it was a typical CBJ move to play the Priest interview with Bettman 5 times consecutively on loud speakers, then when we were done to stop it immediately. Classless. As for the ASG, I firmly believe that this community and the uprising had something to do with it. When was the last time they announced next years ASG on the weekend of the current one? Coincidence, I think not. This fan base is smarter than that, and I know some strings were pulled to speed up the announcement.
Far be it from me to derail anything, but the announcement time of a future ASG is generally around the time of the current All-Star Weekend or whenever the NHL governors meet close to that time frame. Ottawa was actually the aberration, coming even further ahead of time than that (September 2010). Even then, that was probably due to the Olympics disrupting the normal NHL schedule.

What's sometimes forgotten is that Phoenix was supposed to have the 2005 ASG, which obviously didn't happen because of the lockout. By the time the next one came around for 2007, the arena issues in Phoenix had begun, which disrupted the NHL's willingness to put the game there until those were fixed. Those issues still have not been.

Personally, I have to wonder if this was Phoenix's last chance, and whether there's already been a deal in principle that's entirely contingent upon whether Glendale re-ups the backing of the team's losses for another year. I don't think they will.

Now, I'm not saying that what you've said is untrue or exaggerated. But as far as when announcements are made, I don't know that it's as underhanded as it may appear.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 04:41 AM
  #993
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,182
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Far be it from me to derail anything, but the announcement time of a future ASG is generally around the time of the current All-Star Weekend or whenever the NHL governors meet close to that time frame. Ottawa was actually the aberration, coming even further ahead of time than that (September 2010). Even then, that was probably due to the Olympics disrupting the normal NHL schedule.

What's sometimes forgotten is that Phoenix was supposed to have the 2005 ASG, which obviously didn't happen because of the lockout. By the time the next one came around for 2007, the arena issues in Phoenix had begun, which disrupted the NHL's willingness to put the game there until those were fixed. Those issues still have not been.

Personally, I have to wonder if this was Phoenix's last chance, and whether there's already been a deal in principle that's entirely contingent upon whether Glendale re-ups the backing of the team's losses for another year. I don't think they will.

Now, I'm not saying that what you've said is untrue or exaggerated. But as far as when announcements are made, I don't know that it's as underhanded as it may appear.
I'm breaking my rule to not post....

I've thought about your point, several days ago in fact but could not recall any consistency when future ASG's where announced..

Bettman officially announced our ASG game at 12 pm on Jan 28, exactly two hours prior to this protest, if it was a random announcement the timing was impeccable. It's pretty common for the spin of a major sport announcement to flood the media for several hours after it's been announced, if it was random Bettman needs to visit our new Casino as he is a very lucky person...

Robert is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 07:09 AM
  #994
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Bettman officially announced our ASG game at 12 pm on Jan 28, exactly two hours prior to this protest, if it was a random announcement the timing was impeccable. It's pretty common for the spin of a major sport announcement to flood the media for several hours after it's been announced, if it was random Bettman needs to visit our new Casino as he is a very lucky person...
Here's how I break it down.

Was the process of getting the ASG done far prior to the protest? Yes.
Did the protest play any part in awarding the ASG? Maybe it was a small factor.
Was the timing of the announcement influenced by the protest? Quite possibly. Maybe not by days, but maybe hours.
Was this "bone" thrown to the Jackets because of the failed realignment? Quite possibly.

blahblah is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 08:02 AM
  #995
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Here's how I break it down.

Was the process of getting the ASG done far prior to the protest? Yes.
Did the protest play any part in awarding the ASG? Maybe it was a small factor.
Was the timing of the announcement influenced by the protest? Quite possibly. Maybe not by days, but maybe hours.
Was this "bone" thrown to the Jackets because of the failed realignment? Quite possibly.
I don't think the protest has anything to do with getting the All Star game. All the other points, I agree with.

I don't normally play the "I have a source" card but when I do it's because I actually do have a source.

I had a conversation with someone in the know at 9:30 a.m. last Monday morning who told me the All Star announcement would be Saturday. Mods can PM me if they need more. Or delete away.

Like blah said, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if the hour of the announcement changed (I have no info on that), but the Saturday date was settled on prior to the formation of the protest.

I'm glad the protest went great and applaud everyone's efforts to keep it on point.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 08:18 AM
  #996
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!
 
Zoo16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 888
vCash: 500
Both videos are now uploaded to YouTube. See post# 845.

Zoo16 is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 10:23 AM
  #997
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,581
vCash: 500
Seems like everyone's said their piece. Locking 'er up.

SuperGenius is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 11:10 AM
  #998
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Hoping the CBJ Fan Protest Thread gets opened back up or restarted. The links to the videos are burried on post 845.

Here's a copy:

I streamed pretty much all of it here:
http://www.justin.tv/guseppe16/videos

Should have the vids up on YouTube soon.
Edit: having trouble getting the first vid uploaded, but the second is done.
video 1 of 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuImoR9KCgA

video 2 of 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm_me-sPyPc

(Sorry about the poor quality. I had to choose low quality live stream, or high quality video. I figured more people would appreciate the live stream.)

JACKETfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.