HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

According to one random NHL 'man', AK not a very interesting player to them

Old
01-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
To Toronto:

Andrei Kostitsyn

To Montreal:

Joey Crabb, 7th round pick 2012
disgusting trade...

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:10 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
We will get more for Gill or Moen then what we could get for AK. Its better to resign him if thats the case but he can't go over 3 mil.
"but he can't go over 3 mil"? Seriously, you expect AK to sign here for less than 3M?

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:12 AM
OneSharpMarble

So when we sign him for under 3 million and he puts up 25 goals who will be nowhere to be found?

I don't think anyone here would be sad to see him signed, he is a perfect depth guy. This is the kind of secondary scoring that you need to do anything in the NHL. I couldn't care less if nobody wants to trade for him.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moen in Glory
@MoeninGlory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Nice article by Mathias Brunet, according to many GM(1), Ak is not worth much cause (2) he is not a player you can rely on (3). http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...7_accueil_POS2
(1) Only part of the article talking about NHL GMs is refering to the buyer/seller question from Lebrun's piece for ESPN ("Pierre Gauthier ne sait pas encore s'il sera du camp des vendeurs ou des acheteurs, selon des dirigeants d'équipe sondés par le confrère Pierre Lebrun, d'ESPN./PG doesn't know just yet if he'll be a seller or a buyer, according to fellow ESPN journalist P.Lebrun"

(2) One pro scout suggests Habs would get an "average" prospect in return to AK, because of inconsistency. The second scout thinks of AK more highly and says a 2nd round pick could be offered.

(3) Not a player you can rely on? The 1st scout says: "Une équipe doit vivre avec ses passages à vide/A team has to live with his slumps" AK is streaky and the team trading for him would need other offensive weapons, since he would not be their scoring go-to-guy. (To be honest, I don't see many "go-to-guys" available at the deadline, and this scout could say the exact same thing about many others)

Moen in Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Weber should have been given a final chance, not just a few games here and there and mistakes are part of a learning thing for these guys at their age. There was no reason for Gauthier to trade for Kaberle we had enough D and Campoli was on his way back. Anyways that's another story.
If we didn't trade for Kaberle we would have Spacek.

Spacek is superior to Weber as a defensemen so I doubt Weber would have played either way.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

So wait.

2 scouts who don't deal with other GMs have a clue what their value on the market is?

Not to mention, it's the deadline.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
"but he can't go over 3 mil"? Seriously, you expect AK to sign here for less than 3M?
especially when he is making 3.25 now. I think I would go up to 3.75 but that's me being nice. Nothing more then 4 that's for sure, especially after him saying he would take less to stay here

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:15 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
especially when he is making 3.25 now. I think I would go up to 3.75 but that's me being nice. Nothing more then 4 that's for sure, especially after him saying he would take less to stay here
Bourque makes 3.3 and Akost is almost the mirror image of him. I would expect around the same.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

See.....Kaberle was not something you'd like to acquire from most GM's. But it only takes one.....AKost has surely some interest throughout the league. Frankly, it's not about who are interesting....it's who are interesting AND available. In a league where parity makes it harder for teams to be eliminated come trade deadline, if Habs are in that position, I can tell you that AK WILL be interesting. Now....it might not be THAT interesting only if the asking price is too much.

As far as keeping him, why not. No problem with that. Question is: "Are you interesting in paying 4 M$ for a guy who will end up on your 3rd line." If the answer is yes based on the fact that it means we're solid all over and prooves our depth, so I say yes. But if not, 4 M$ for a 3rd liner is a bit excessive. But for lack of better, I'd keep him. Really hope Eller would take off offensively next year though.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:16 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

lol ak for crabb.. wtf lolwut

hes staying anywyas. players that go out on record and say they rather not go to ufa are keepers. especially if they are servicable players who pot in 20 goals per season.

imo whoever said that most likley trying to lowball at ak trade price and probably would like to get him for his respective team

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:19 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

What else with a GM/scout say really?

If he says yes for sure we would be very interested, then AK`s value goes up.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Iwishihadacup

nice edit of the title, modding overlord

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:21 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
What I understand from this article is that 3 different people from 3 different teams had 3 different opinions on 3 different players.

Doesn't mean a lot.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:25 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
See.....Kaberle was not something you'd like to acquire from most GM's. But it only takes one.....AKost has surely some interest throughout the league. Frankly, it's not about who are interesting....it's who are interesting AND available. In a league where parity makes it harder for teams to be eliminated come trade deadline, if Habs are in that position, I can tell you that AK WILL be interesting. Now....it might not be THAT interesting only if the asking price is too much.

As far as keeping him, why not. No problem with that. Question is: "Are you interesting in paying 4 M$ for a guy who will end up on your 3rd line." If the answer is yes based on the fact that it means we're solid all over and prooves our depth, so I say yes. But if not, 4 M$ for a 3rd liner is a bit excessive. But for lack of better, I'd keep him. Really hope Eller would take off offensively next year though.
"Are you interesting in paying 4 M$ for a guy who will end up on your 3rd line."

Right now, he's playing with Eller and Moen. Yes that line would be considered the #3 line but it's also considered the shut down line many nights. That has value.

Also, replace Moen with MaxPac or Bourque next year. That MaxPac-Eller-AKost line would almost become your #1 line and AK would not be a worse player just because MaxPac would replace Moen. He would actually become even more of a weapon because MaxPac would convert more of his setups and Eller would be one year older and wiser.

Last edited by gillyguzzler: 01-31-2012 at 11:42 AM.
gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Too bad this hockey guy doesn't realize that Weber sucks.

just like Ribs, Streit, Grabs, D'ago, O'byrne, Lapierre, S.Kost et. et.

young guy struggling while being jerked around by the coaching staff MUST suck, obviously, i mean jeez why wouldn't Weber be progressing perfectly while bouncing btw press box/defense/forward... if he were any good he would be adaptable, his confidence would be unshakable and he'd be lighting it up (better than his 27pt/82game pace).

if only he could learn to be as consistent and effective in the defensive zone as vets like Kaberle, Campoli & Gill are, but no, he's no were near as good as they are, he really does suck...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

It's not really a third line when what was your first line is playing like garbage.

I'm pretty sure he'd be sticking in the top 2 lines on any team that values offensive explosion over carrying the puck past the blueline and lobbing a soft one on net.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:29 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
Je pris à tous les soirs pour que les Nordiques reviennent pour pu avoir à endurer des osties de faux-fans dans le genre.

Pardon my french...
There will still be some. Every fan base has idiots.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:29 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Amazing thread title change! Good job Overlord (?I guess)!

Old
01-31-2012, 11:32 AM
Miller Time

A.Kost first 5 years in NHL:

.68ppg
.55ppg
.56ppg
.55ppg
.56ppg

lack of consistency, year-to-year, is clearly not a problem for him.

game-to-game, sure, but at this point that appears to be his m.o... if ever he improved his game-to-game consistency, we'd be talking about a ppg/all-star caliber player.

given that he is still only 26, and has expressed interest in staying in Montreal, I'd much rather see him re-signed then dealt. He wouldn't be the first player to "put it together" in his late 20's, and if we can sign him to a reasonable deal, it's well worth our investment to find out.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:33 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Nice article by Mathias Brunet, according to many GM, Ak is not worth much cause he is not a player you can rely on. http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...7_accueil_POS2
Wait, you are the guy with an anti-Kostitsyn agenda right? The guy that loves Réjaune?

Old
01-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

just like Ribs, Streit, Grabs, D'ago, O'byrne, Lapierre, S.Kost et. et.

young guy struggling while being jerked around by the coaching staff MUST suck, obviously, i mean jeez why wouldn't Weber be progressing perfectly while bouncing btw press box/defense/forward... if he were any good he would be adaptable, his confidence would be unshakable and he'd be lighting it up (better than his 27pt/82game pace).

if only he could learn to be as consistent and effective in the defensive zone as vets like Kaberle, Campoli & Gill are, but no, he's no were near as good as they are, he really does suck...
Weber sucks, just like O'byrne sucked. He doesn't even belong in a convo with the others, plus I don't even see what the point is in bringing them up, Weber wasn't even traded for Kaberle and had trouble cracking the lineup even before Kaberle was brought in.

Three years in a row he can't crack a spot in the lineup and it's not because he hasn't been given a chance. He has zero poise and his decision making is below average.

He had his fair share of time at the begining of the year when Spacek and Campoli were injured and Emelin couldn't crack the lineup. He had even more time when Gill missed games on top of all that. Outside 4-5 games Weber has been below average to downright terrible. I have no faith in him at all and I am pretty confident that we see is what we get with Weber.

I disagree entirely with your assesment on Weber. He has shown little.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:39 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Anyway, we have Diaz already. He's a better Weber.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:41 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Good news

He's a keeper

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:43 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
A.Kost first 5 years in NHL:

.68ppg
.55ppg
.56ppg
.55ppg
.56ppg

lack of consistency, year-to-year, is clearly not a problem for him.

game-to-game, sure, but at this point that appears to be his m.o... if ever he improved his game-to-game consistency, we'd be talking about a ppg/all-star caliber player.

given that he is still only 26, and has expressed interest in staying in Montreal, I'd much rather see him re-signed then dealt. He wouldn't be the first player to "put it together" in his late 20's, and if we can sign him to a reasonable deal, it's well worth our investment to find out.
To be fair to him I think consistancy is the main difference between talented all stars and talented top6 players. If he was consistant he'd be a perennial 35g 35 assist scorer. He's not and thats why he'll get 3.5 or 4m only this summer.

That he is (belo)russian means he has this ''reputation'' tagged on him. He'd be much more coveted he was from Saskatchewan with a gritty name like Richard MacGregor.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:44 AM
PK76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
Je pris à tous les soirs pour que les Nordiques reviennent pour pu avoir à endurer des osties de faux-fans dans le genre.

Pardon my french...
Loved this! Thanks for sharing my thoughts!

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote