HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jumbo Joe

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2012, 09:42 AM
MastuhNinks

vCash: 500
Jumbo Joe

Now let me first start by saying I don't think there's a chance in hell that Thornton gets traded in the near future, the Sharks are obviously pulling for a Cup win (they're my pick to win it all in fact) as their window of opportunity seems to have only a few years left in it and they have a great team.

That said I've always been a fan of his and coveted him as being the perfect big, playmaking center the Leafs need. Once again I don't think there is any chance of this happening, I'm just curious as to what you guys think it would take. Obviously his production is down a bit but I'd imagine he's still very highly valued, especially considering how central of a piece he'd be to a Sharks cup run.

Old
01-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Kyle J

For a 32 year old that is in decline, he is still worth a lot. I'd say you start at a first rounder and add a roster player plus an A prospect.

Old
01-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Would love to see him come back to bean town but unfortunately we already have like 10 centers

Old
01-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Danglefest View Post
Would love to see him come back to bean town but unfortunately we already have like 10 centers
He'd still be your best though, this year at any rate. I think he'd be a good fit for your current team/style of play too.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Spectator

So lets assume Jumbo is on the block, the Leafs probably wouldn't have the assets the Sharks would be looking for, besides Kessel which is most likely a non-starter for the Leafs. I know Lupal is having an amazing year, but I don't think using him as a center piece would be a starter for the Sharks, and SJ doesn't need any help on defense either. Kulemin and MacArthur are intriguing but neither is a sure thing.

Picks or prospects don't really help the Sharks, it would have to be roster players and would open huge holes. Both teams have too many defenseman.

Would never happen, but Sharks could use some good young wingers, we sent ours to Minnesota. Pavs and Couture are the centers of the future, but the the other four in the top six is kind of a question mark. Marleau is getting up there, Clowe needs to be resigned soon so who knows what will happen there, and Havlat is Havlat. The cupboard is also bare of impact wingers.

Bad trading partners.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:12 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Not that they need him, but imagine if Philly acquired him for let's say Schenn + 1st rounder.

Giroux, Thornton and Couturier down the middle would be scary.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:16 AM
ChiHawk21

Stalberg-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Thorton-Hossa

WOW

Old
01-31-2012, 10:18 AM
TOGuy14

He is in decline, but would still be the best player in any deal involving him likely.

Leafs would offer 1st + Grabo + MacA?

Old
01-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Yeah...I don't see the Sharks trading their captain, cash cow, GM's true love, etc at all. Thornton is gonna retire as a Shark.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Danglefest View Post
If he were dealt back to Boston which Thornton do you think would get more playoff points?

Old
01-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Arrch

If the Sharks were looking to trade, they would pretty much be looking at doing an on the fly rebuild, so a 2nd/3rd line winger, a blue chip forward, and a 1st. Don't need any defensemen/goalies or prospects for either.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:24 AM
tony d
Ours for next 7 yrs.

Thornton's still a good player but he has hit a decline since turning 30. I can't see San Jose trading him but if they did they'd get a decent return IMO.

01-31-2012, 10:30 AM
hockeyball

Let's start this off by saying he is not available because he has a NMC, Doug Wilson has never asked a player to waive a NMC and likely never will.

Joe is having a tough season this year, but I wouldn't read too much into it, the entire team is down points wise (except Couture). It's a coaching issue is my suspicion. Joe is a MUCH better two-way player and playoff performer now than he was when he was putting up those 100+ point seasons. I take this Joe over that Joe without a second thought.

So, hypothetically, what would we want for Joe in a fantasy world where he doesn't have a NMC?

Quality young top-6 player, high-end forward prospect, and a high 1st (top 15).

The philly deal above for instance I'd do Schenn, Testwuide and a 1st perhaps? Something like that.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:32 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
He is in decline, but would still be the best player in any deal involving him likely.

An expiring contract, mid 1st, and a downgrade forward? Not interested.

It would have to knock our socks off to even be considered, we love Joe.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Kristo+1rst+Cole ?

Old
01-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
He'd still be your best though, this year at any rate. I think he'd be a good fit for your current team/style of play too.
He probably would but I doubt they would shake things up like that to give him krejci and bergy proper minutes as well as proper line mates

Old
01-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
If he were dealt back to Boston which Thornton do you think would get more playoff points?
Obviously it would be scott

Old
01-31-2012, 11:15 AM
LeafsYoungGuns

probably kadri+kulemin+1st

Old
01-31-2012, 11:23 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Lacroix View Post
Kristo+1rst+Cole ?
Think we would be more interested in MaxPac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsYoungGuns View Post
probably kadri+kulemin+1st
I think the Leaf's 1st is going to be up near the 20's, so that's a bit of an issue, and Doug Wilson is not a fan of Russian players, so that makes it unlikely too. I think Kadri, MacArthur, 1st, 2nd would be closer to our hypothetical reality, and I suspect other teams would have better offers.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:48 AM
magic school bus

Can we hold off on these types of threads until the offseason? There's zero chance of it happening now, maybe a 1% chance after the season - if SJ loses again. I 'm pretty sure he 'll retire here, but I'd be more interested in entertaining talks later.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:49 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Can we hold off on these types of threads until the offseason? There's zero chance of it happening now, maybe a 1% chance after the season - if SJ loses again. I 'm pretty sure he 'll retire here, but I'd be more interested in entertaining talks later.
It's not happening at all, that was established several times in the thread, by the OP, and by me. We were just discussing hypothetical value. No need for getting upset.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post

eewwww

Old
01-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Think we would be more interested in MaxPac.

I think the Leaf's 1st is going to be up near the 20's, so that's a bit of an issue, and Doug Wilson is not a fan of Russian players, so that makes it unlikely too. I think Kadri, MacArthur, 1st, 2nd would be closer to our hypothetical reality, and I suspect other teams would have better offers.
Gotta disagree, might be having an off year but Kulemin is a great player and IMO would have higher value than MacArthur, grabo or kadri.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:58 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson55 View Post
Gotta disagree, might be having an off year but Kulemin is a great player and IMO would have higher value than MacArthur, grabo or kadri.
But as I said, DW does not like Russians. Name the last Russian player on the Sharks not named Nabokov? I am pretty sure it's Semenov. Name any Russian prospect in the Sharks system? You can't, the only one we had died in the plane accident. DW has an aversion to Russians.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:59 AM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
It's not happening at all, that was established several times in the thread, by the OP, and by me. We were just discussing hypothetical value. No need for getting upset.
I'm not upset at all. I just think he'd would get better responses after the season. Thornton could be traded for a forward or defenseman depending on what we do at the deadline (and everyone knows SJ will do something). It's hard to get a good guess on what our team needs will be in 5 months when you don't know what the roster will look like.

Closed Thread