HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marc Staal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2012, 05:22 PM
  #26
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Hasn't New York been even better since Staal came back?

I didn't know he was a guy the Rangers considered even remotely available.

What are their needs? Scoring winger with size a la MacArthur +?
He's not even remotely available. Just because somebody put it on a trade board, doesn't mean he is all the sudden available.

The rangers have enough MacArthur types, they need a player closer to with real skills

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:23 PM
  #27
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Thank you for restoring my faith in humanity; sanity still exists.
It seems sanity is getting more and more scarce on the Rangers board.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:58 PM
  #28
smoneil
Registered User
 
smoneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 2,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
True. We do not want to trade Staal. With that said, our D has been great without him imagine it with him when he is 100% back to his old self. What Rangers needs is an elite LW. Ryan, Parise etc. If we got Ryan for Staal it would be worth it. Our D is so good we could (if we needed to, as the first half of the season has proved) survive without Staal. And a player like Ryan would be filling a gap on the LW we desperately need.
The D has been great without him for half of one season, and to be that great, Girardi and McDonagh have to play 30 minutes a game. How long do you think they can keep that up? How much do you think they'll have left when the playoffs come along? I get the impulse--the Rangers have McDonagh, Del Zotto, Staal and Erixon all on the left side. It's tempting to move one to fill a need elsewhere. At some point (ie- when Del Zotto and Erixon are capable of playing top pairing minutes consistently) that may be a move that can be made. This season is not the right time.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:24 AM
  #29
RyanCallahan24*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
The D has been great without him for half of one season, and to be that great, Girardi and McDonagh have to play 30 minutes a game. How long do you think they can keep that up? How much do you think they'll have left when the playoffs come along? I get the impulse--the Rangers have McDonagh, Del Zotto, Staal and Erixon all on the left side. It's tempting to move one to fill a need elsewhere. At some point (ie- when Del Zotto and Erixon are capable of playing top pairing minutes consistently) that may be a move that can be made. This season is not the right time.
I agree. The best way to about this is keep Staal, sign Parise as UFA (if he becomes one, which I believe) or just give Kreider a spot next year. This way we can keep our #1 defensemen and we get a great player in Parise or we get a great prospect LW in Kreider showing up and blowing people away *knock on wood*.

Maybe we should just sign a rental LW then in the offseason go for Parise or give Kreider a spot. Would cost less and I wouldn't mind Kreider or Parise on our LW.

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 05:18 AM
  #30
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,539
vCash: 500
I am not a fan of either of the teams in this proposal, but it seems like a lot of people are underrating Marc Staal.

A young #1 d-man is worth an incredible amount to most teams. That is exactly what Staal is, of course there are injury worries right now and many teams might be put off by that. But Staal is worth more than all but 2 players on the Penguins and if I was the Rangers and the Penguins called about Staal, I would be saying no unless I was trading Staal+ for Malkin.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:23 AM
  #31
racer90
Registered User
 
racer90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
quite honestly, the only reason to go after Marc is if you're also planning on going after Eric.
Theres not much of a point just going after 2 of the 3 brothers. You have to have all 3 brothers on the same team for them to evolve into their final form.

but, just going after Marc alone, probably would cost a lot considering he's established in NY

racer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:43 AM
  #32
dashripdot
Registered User
 
dashripdot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
With the depth the Rangers have on D and the level they played at without Staal for most of the season, would he become available at some point?

Love to have him anchor the Pens second pairing. Guys on a steal of a contract, excellent 1 on 1 defender and has a bit of offense to his game.
They have two guys (including Staal and Sauer) trying to fully recover and get their game legs back from concussions, they're overworking Girardi and McD, and they're using Stralman and Bickel and Woywitka to plug the Eminger absence from shoulder injury. Therefore the Rangers have no defensive depth at the moment. But help is on the way next season via Erixon (maybe this season) and McIlrath (maybe another year away, because they're not gonna rush him), but they're unlikely to trade any defensemen, unless they want to deal for or sign Weber or Suter if they become available. Why another defenseman? They have no effective PMD (MDZ is still a work in progress) and no big shot from the point (although McD would be pretty successful if he used it more), especially on the PP.


Last edited by dashripdot: 01-31-2012 at 06:52 AM.
dashripdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:27 AM
  #33
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,173
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
No, and if he were, he'd be sent West.
Yeah. There is absolutely ZERO chance he would ever get dealt to a divisional rival.

As far as value though, granted he is still getting his game back this year he still is a stud defenseman.

I would say an equally prized scoring threat. Prior to his injury alot of discussion about a Staal for Ryan swap on these boards.

He wouldn't be traded for quantity or scraps though. Scoring forward, or B L U E CHIP scoring prospect + pick or bust.

__________________
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:37 AM
  #34
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYuleGoat View Post
Are you possibly hinting at Jussi Jokinen?
Possibly... NOT.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:52 AM
  #35
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,495
vCash: 500
Staal straight up for Suter. I think the Rangers would have a good chance of getting Suter re-signed. Definitely would help our pwp. Nashville gets one of the best shutdown defensemen in the league and don't have to worry about signing both Suter and Weber--just Weber. Kind of solves half of that problem.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:58 AM
  #36
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Staal straight up for Suter. I think the Rangers would have a good chance of getting Suter re-signed. Definitely would help our pwp. Nashville gets one of the best shutdown defensemen in the league and don't have to worry about signing both Suter and Weber--just Weber. Kind of solves half of that problem.
I agree, makes sense for both teams.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:37 AM
  #37
Chalfdiggity3
Registered User
 
Chalfdiggity3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Staal straight up for Suter. I think the Rangers would have a good chance of getting Suter re-signed. Definitely would help our pwp. Nashville gets one of the best shutdown defensemen in the league and don't have to worry about signing both Suter and Weber--just Weber. Kind of solves half of that problem.
No thanks, why would the Rangers do that when we could possibly just sign Suter or Parise in the offseason with all the available capspace that will be freed up with our RFA's and UFA's gone.

Secondly, Why trade Staal who is on a GREAT contract and signed for several more seasons for a player who is not currently under contract and will be a ufa at the end of the season and can go wherever he wants..

Sorry but please think it completley through before saying yes to a trade. I know we need a offensive dman but honestly what good does this do the rangers?

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:11 PM
  #38
Koekkoek4U
Anthony Eclair
 
Koekkoek4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
You can't expect someone to do their best after coming off a big concussion and that's whats bugging me about all this contriversy on staal. He's still the Staal brother us rangers fans know and love but we just gotta give him a little time which I feel like people are not understanding. Hes not a player like Crosby who will come back and score a frickin hat trick and he never will be. His game is D and I actually seem to see a bit of improvement from him. He's no one to be underestimating and it's a bit hard to believe this thread even exists. I don't think we need to discuss his value because we all know him and we all know his game. Although he may need to see some improvement, I think we should keep his style of play in mind and remember who he was last year and compare him to this year WITH the fact he had a major concussion.

Koekkoek4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:12 PM
  #39
Koekkoek4U
Anthony Eclair
 
Koekkoek4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
And for all the talk about staal and suter, although I would like this transaction, i dont think Torts would go for it.

Koekkoek4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:16 PM
  #40
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchbot 3000 View Post
Mid first.
1. No, that's what Anisimov commands, as high as 12th overall.
Staal >>> Anisimov.

2. No trading w/Division rival they say. I say, IMO, only if you overwhelm me with massive profit, then I think about it.

3. Therefore, no but would reconsider if Letang is part of bigger package.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:17 PM
  #41
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,296
vCash: 500
Also, again, while we acknowledge and assume Staal will fully return to form (no reason to believe otherwise) he is why Girardi gets put in my trade proposals.

As good as Girardi is, Staal is better.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:19 PM
  #42
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
No thanks, why would the Rangers do that when we could possibly just sign Suter or Parise in the offseason with all the available capspace that will be freed up with our RFA's and UFA's gone.

Secondly, Why trade Staal who is on a GREAT contract and signed for several more seasons for a player who is not currently under contract and will be a ufa at the end of the season and can go wherever he wants..

Sorry but please think it completley through before saying yes to a trade. I know we need a offensive dman but honestly what good does this do the rangers?
If the Rangers do something like this--they do it because Suter could help them now more than a Staal who is trying to re-find his game. Because they think they can do something this year. Trying to sign Suter for next year--is next year--does not help our pwp this year. It's with the playoffs--and being a contender this year in mind and then hoping (thinking) that Suter would want to stay.

More or less I see the two players as equal. Weber maybe slightly ahead but there's no question that Suter is good enough defensively and that the Rangers have other shutdown d-men. It's enhancing the whole picture.

From Nashville's standpoint--they get back a slightly younger premium shutdown d-man with a cap friendly contract for another couple seasons. If you're not sure your guy is going to be back it's not a bad a bad plan IMO--and keeping in mind that Ryan Ellis might be replacing Suter's offense anyway.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:23 PM
  #43
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Also, again, while we acknowledge and assume Staal will fully return to form (no reason to believe otherwise) he is why Girardi gets put in my trade proposals.

As good as Girardi is, Staal is better.
That's not so obvious anymore.

And then there's McDonagh. Rangers have 3 of the best shutdown defensemen in the league. And really McD might turn into the best of them all.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:26 PM
  #44
barneyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
3. Therefore, no but would reconsider if Letang is part of bigger package.
..which would make no sense for the Pens.

Let's face it, I'd love to see Staal on the Pens, but we're not in a position to give up what the Rangers would want in return, division rivals notwithstanding.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:29 PM
  #45
Koekkoek4U
Anthony Eclair
 
Koekkoek4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Also, again, while we acknowledge and assume Staal will fully return to form (no reason to believe otherwise) he is why Girardi gets put in my trade proposals.

As good as Girardi is, Staal is better.
I disagree completely. Girardi has a lot more awareness and there should be a save percentage in his stats for all of the shots he blocks. Staal has a great hit and all but i feel like they play 2 different games and Girardi is alot better at his than Staal is. Care to disagree but you won't change my mind.

Koekkoek4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:36 PM
  #46
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,495
vCash: 500
Not necessarily advocating that we move Staal for Suter but it makes some sense--at least if you think like most Rangers fans that we need another big goal scorer or a player who can help our pwp. The move should not weaken our defense corps (that is if we could retain Suter) and it should help significantly improve our pwp.

Staal is a very fine player though and quite likely will be back in form by the end of the year. I don't think the Predators quite have a player like him. Someone who can consistently help shut down the best players in the league. It would be a major deal for both teams.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:39 PM
  #47
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise
 
ChrisKreider20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,313
vCash: 500
Personally I think trading Staal would be a smart moving BUT only if we are dealing him for a RH defenseman.

FOR THOSE WHO DON'T WATCH NY - TORTORELLA MAKES IT A HUGE PRIORITY TO PLAY DMEN ON THEIR NATURAL SIDES***

If you can deal Staal for Subban +
or
Staal + for Weber
etc

you do it, because it actually does improve our D...

What looks better?

McD-Girardi @ 25
Del Zotto - Stralman @ 15
Staal - Eminger @ 20

OR

Del Zotto - Subban/Weber @25
McDonagh - Girardi @25
Erixon/Woywitka - Stralman/Eminger @10

Personally if I was doing either trade I'd attempt
1) Staal + Anisimov + 1st + 2nd (give or take)
for
Weber

OR

*This is my preferred deal:
Anisimov+Staal+1st (give or take)

for

Subban + Pacioretty + Gill

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:40 PM
  #48
Koekkoek4U
Anthony Eclair
 
Koekkoek4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Not necessarily advocating that we move Staal for Suter but it makes some sense--at least if you think like most Rangers fans that we need another big goal scorer or a player who can help our pwp. The move should not weaken our defense corps (that is if we could retain Suter) and it should help significantly improve our pwp.

Staal is a very fine player though and quite likely will be back in form by the end of the year. I don't think the Predators quite have a player like him. Someone who can consistently help shut down the best players in the league. It would be a major deal for both teams.

Isn't Suter a UFA? Why dont we just wait for the offseason? And if we drop Redden we may have enough cap for Weber too

Koekkoek4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:43 PM
  #49
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhenrikthegr819 View Post
Isn't Suter a UFA? Why dont we just wait for the offseason? And if we drop Redden we may have enough cap for Weber too
Refer to post #42.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:49 PM
  #50
Chalfdiggity3
Registered User
 
Chalfdiggity3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
If the Rangers do something like this--they do it because Suter could help them now more than a Staal who is trying to re-find his game. Because they think they can do something this year. Trying to sign Suter for next year--is next year--does not help our pwp this year. It's with the playoffs--and being a contender this year in mind and then hoping (thinking) that Suter would want to stay.

More or less I see the two players as equal. Weber maybe slightly ahead but there's no question that Suter is good enough defensively and that the Rangers have other shutdown d-men. It's enhancing the whole picture.

From Nashville's standpoint--they get back a slightly younger premium shutdown d-man with a cap friendly contract for another couple seasons. If you're not sure your guy is going to be back it's not a bad a bad plan IMO--and keeping in mind that Ryan Ellis might be replacing Suter's offense anyway.
Again like i said, this trade is perfect for nashville but does NOTHING for the Rangers. Suter would help out for this year yes, but what about every year after that, that Staal WOULD be signed and playing for the rangers. Its just TERRIBLE asset managment to give up a player signed on a great contract and is a bonafide #1 dman for a different #1 dman who is NOT under contract and could very well leave after THIS season.

Im not sure what you dont get about this trade and how badly it hurts the rangers this season and in the future. Our team isnt about JUST ONE SEASON. We are finally a very young hungry team with our opening for the cup JUST BEGINNING and we are not a ryan suter away from a championship. Id rather take my chances on Marc Staal easily returning to form and being SIGNED at a good contract for several more seasons, than half a season with Suter.

I understand we have 3 other dman who COULD be like Staal but lets give Staal some more time back before we count him off.. Hes barely played 5 games this season without training camp and preseason. Lets give the guy some more time before writing him off as NOT the same player he was last year. Lets see what they look like all together then if necessary trade one of them for OFFENSIVE help.. Since next year we could have Erixon and McIlrath ready to step up, along with maybe some other surprises.


Again if im giving up Staal, i want bobby Ryan or someone his caliber.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.