HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jumbo Joe

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2012, 01:02 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
I'm not upset at all. I just think he'd would get better responses after the season. Thornton could be traded for a forward or defenseman depending on what we do at the deadline (and everyone knows SJ will do something). It's hard to get a good guess on what our team needs will be in 5 months when you don't know what the roster will look like.
Doesn't hurt to discuss, gives me something to do anyway. All my projects at work got put off until 2nd quarter so I'm killing a lot of time anyway heh.

Old
01-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Danglefest View Post
He probably would but I doubt they would shake things up like that to give him krejci and bergy proper minutes as well as proper line mates
Yeah. Trade wouldn't really make sense for you guys unless you were sending someone like Krejci the other way. And given that you just won a cup with Krejci as your first line center it wouldn't make much sense.

Old
01-31-2012, 01:13 PM
ramstoria

First thing I thought when I saw the title, "To the Leafs, right?". Sure enough.

Old
01-31-2012, 01:15 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Doesn't hurt to discuss, gives me something to do anyway. All my projects at work got put off until 2nd quarter so I'm killing a lot of time anyway heh.
Same here. I'm bored waiting for class.

I'd think more teams would get involved in this. Columbus with Thornton's history with Nash - I'm sure they'd love to get in on this if he's available. Then you'll have Calgary and Phoenix as teams who are always looking for centers.

From the Leafs? Gardiner + MacArthur + 1st? I'd bet some of these other NA skaters interests our GM like Tyler Biggs (grit + goals)

Old
01-31-2012, 01:21 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
I think Thornton's decline will only continue and he is a good candidate for a trade, but in the off-season.
He has a NMC, he won't waive it, and he won't be asked to. Doug Wilson just doesn't do that.

Old
01-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
He is in decline, but would still be the best player in any deal involving him likely.

Leafs would offer 1st + Grabo + MacA?

Poor Grabo..he's being offered up more than a dime store hookker! Mac & Grabo dont hold much value outside Toronto. Grabo is a good center, but any GM can just make a run at him come july 1st. MacArthur is a one year flash-in-the pan player.

I'd say IF San Jose were looking for a shake up & ready to hand the reigns over to Pavelski & Couture they'd ask for...actually nobody really. Kessel is the only Leaf who can be mentioned in a trade for Joe. Kulemin's value has plummetted. Kadri is decent but in no way the center piece in a trade for Thornton.. Luke Schenn is overpaid at the moment, & doesnt seem like top pairing potential is in his future (not too mention San Jose doesnt need defensemaen). Grabo MacArthur Kulemin Conolly Bozak Lombardi etc.. dont really ignite anybodys fire.

Old
01-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Anderson55

Quote:
But as I said, DW does not like Russians. Name the last Russian player on the Sharks not named Nabokov? I am pretty sure it's Semenov. Name any Russian prospect in the Sharks system? You can't, the only one we had died in the plane accident. DW has an aversion to Russians.
Dont follow the Sharks close enough to notice i guess. pretty ridiculous, i know they can be issues drafting them but arguable right now the 2 best players in the league are Malkin and Datyuk. Pretty foolish to limit ur self.

Old
01-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
MacArthur is a one year flash-in-the pan player.
Yes, because you've watched so many leafs games this year, right?

He's on pace to match his goal total from last year, and his assist total decline can easily be equated to Kulemin's struggles.

Add in missing a handful of games with nagging injuries and a suspension, and you have a guy who is not really playing much differently than last year.

Old
01-31-2012, 02:19 PM
BBB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
He'd still be your best though, this year at any rate. I think he'd be a good fit for your current team/style of play too.

I hope you were joking, the guy is soft, plays on the outside and has never won any team award in the NHL, he would be third line at best in Boston, home of the SCC, which he will never bring to San Jose, NEVER.

Old
01-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Yes, because you've watched so many leafs games this year, right?

He's on pace to match his goal total from last year, and his assist total decline can easily be equated to Kulemin's struggles.

Add in missing a handful of games with nagging injuries and a suspension, and you have a guy who is not really playing much differently than last year.
You can defend that MacArthur is being offered as a main piece in a trade offer for Joe Thornton?

He is on pace to see his stats decline from last season last I checked.

Old
01-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB24 View Post
[/B]

I hope you were joking, the guy is soft, plays on the outside and has never won any team award in the NHL, he would be third line at best in Boston, home of the SCC, which he will never bring to San Jose, NEVER.
You clearly haven't watched him play since he left Boston. I'd take him over Krejci in a heartbeat, and he's better than Bergeron offensively (though he can't match Bergeron's defensive play).

Quote:
You can defend that MacArthur is being offered as a main piece in a trade offer for Joe Thornton?

He is on pace to see his stats decline from last season last I checked.
I never defended Macarthur as the main piece in a trade for Thornton. I did object to your assertion that "he's a flash in the pan". And I addressed the stats in my first post.

Tl;dr - trade is ridiculous, calling Macarthur a "flash in the pan" is ill-advised and un-knowledgeable.

Old
01-31-2012, 02:35 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
You clearly haven't watched him play since he left Boston. I'd take him over Krejci in a heartbeat, and he's better than Bergeron offensively (though he can't match Bergeron's defensive play).

I never defended Macarthur as the main piece in a trade for Thornton. I did object to your assertion that "he's a flash in the pan". And I addressed the stats in my first post.

Tl;dr - trade is ridiculous, calling Macarthur a "flash in the pan" is ill-advised and un-knowledgeable.
Just ignore that stuff, we've learned its better, arguing about JT turns into a flame fest. For my part, I'm perfectly happy with his effort level, physical play, grit, and defensive play. He's improved dramatically defensively in the last few years.

If we have an issue with JT right now it's that he likes to slow the play down, and with the way our team is built we should playing faster hockey. Scoring on the rush, driving the net, making quick plays. Plus, right now, Couture will likely begin outscoring him as early as next season and is selke level defensively as well. With also having Pavelski, we could spend Joe's salary on offensive depth, which is where we are most hurting.

Old
01-31-2012, 02:38 PM
LeX4cavalier

Thornton for Lecavlier?

Old
01-31-2012, 02:42 PM
BigDmitriy

Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
I would only trade Jumbo for an overpayment aka something that would never happen (Ex: Kessel)

Old
01-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Oates2Neely

I think Burke has the right idea. Let the kids mature (Kadri, Colborne, Gardiner, Schenn), all while trying to plug in holes via reclamation projects (For every Connolly/ Lombardi you'll have a Lupul). Stay put. Leafs have made significant strides this season, they will continue to get better next season as well.

If I were Burke for the summer I'd:

Look into how much Grabo wants in UFA. If too expensive, I'd look at Antropov as a replacement.

Look into acquiring Martin Hanzel from Phoenix

Old
01-31-2012, 02:43 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson55 View Post
Dont follow the Sharks close enough to notice i guess. pretty ridiculous, i know they can be issues drafting them but arguable right now the 2 best players in the league are Malkin and Datyuk. Pretty foolish to limit ur self.
I totally agree, but that's just how it is over here. It's stupid, but that's how it is.

Old
01-31-2012, 02:52 PM
BBB24

[QUOTE=Mansfield;43335115]You clearly haven't watched him play since he left Boston. I'd take him over Krejci in a heartbeat, and he's better than Bergeron offensively (though he can't match Bergeron's defensive play).

Would you really? As a leaf fan you should be looking for players who have heart and have won, a la Krejci, you know, the guy with a Stanley Cup and also lead the entire league in goals and points in the 2011 PO. Would never take him over Krejci or Bergeron, and was very happy when he left Boston, he has won as much in San Jose as he would have brought to Boston, ZERO. When he left it allowed the Bruins to move for Chara and Savard, two players Thorton cannot hold a candle to, keep looking at personal stats, they are worhtless.

Old
01-31-2012, 02:53 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramstoria View Post
First thing I thought when I saw the title, "To the Leafs, right?". Sure enough.
I didn't mean only to the Leafs, I meant in general, the Leafs example was just why it was relevant to my interests. I know it isn't gonna happen but it's fun to dream right?

Quote:
I think the Leaf's 1st is going to be up near the 20's, so that's a bit of an issue, and Doug Wilson is not a fan of Russian players, so that makes it unlikely too. I think Kadri, MacArthur, 1st, 2nd would be closer to our hypothetical reality, and I suspect other teams would have better offers.
I'd still probably pull the trigger on that in a heartbeat, although I think Kulemin might still be more valuable than MacArthur. I know about the whole Russian thing but Kulemin really doesn't play a Russian style of hockey.

Old
01-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
I think Burke has the right idea. Let the kids mature (Kadri, Colborne, Gardiner, Schenn), all while trying to plug in holes via reclamation projects (For every Connolly/ Lombardi you'll have a Lupul). Stay put. Leafs have made significant strides this season, they will continue to get better next season as well.

If I were Burke for the summer I'd:

Look into how much Grabo wants in UFA. If too expensive, I'd look at Antropov as a replacement.

Look into acquiring Martin Hanzel from Phoenix
I think Grabo probably will want too much as a UFA. And there's definitely no way Antropov comes back to us haha

I wish we could get Hanzal - I think he'd be great. But unless Phoenix decides they aren't making the playoffs this year I don't think he's obtainable.

Last edited by Mansfield: 01-31-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old
01-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:

Would you really? As a leaf fan you should be looking for players who have heart and have won, a la Krejci, you know, the guy with a Stanley Cup and also lead the entire league in goals and points in the 2011 PO. Would never take him over Krejci or Bergeron, and was very happy when he left Boston, he has won as much in San Jose as he would have brought to Boston, ZERO. When he left it allowed the Bruins to move for Chara and Savard, two players Thorton cannot hold a candle to, keep looking at personal stats, they are worhtless.
Yes, I would really, because I actually watch him play every once in a while.

Not to discredit Krejci - he's a good player. But JT is clearly better imo.

Old
01-31-2012, 03:02 PM
BBB24

Quote:
Yes, I would really, because I actually watch him play every once in a while.

Not to discredit Krejci - he's a good player. But JT is clearly better imo.
I watch him lots, and he never changes, plays on the outside, gets lots of points, and does absolutely nothing come PO. I agree with Torts, 100%, he will go out of the league having never won anything. Glad to hear you think Krejci is a GOOD player.

Old
01-31-2012, 03:06 PM
SHAR KS
Choking Hazard

[QUOTE=BBB24;43336115]
Quote:

Lol, Thornton can't hold a candle to Savard? Okay...

Old
01-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
I watch him lots, and he never changes, plays on the outside, gets lots of points, and does absolutely nothing come PO. I agree with Torts, 100%, he will go out of the league having never won anything. Glad to hear you think Krejci is a GOOD player.
Right there, this tells me that you didn't watch him in these last playoffs. He was SJ's best player by far imo, and gave it 100% despite playing with a separated shoulder.

And yes, Krejci is, at this point, just a GOOD player. He may well become great, but having one 70+ point season doesn't make you GREAT.

Old
01-31-2012, 03:08 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
seriously, this garbage has been rehashed a thousand times, can you take your Thornton bashing elsewhere? It doesn't belong here. You are trying to start a flame war, and I would appreciate it if you would stop.

Thank you.

Closed Thread