HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Makes the Leafs Canada's Team???

Old
01-31-2012, 01:20 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

vCash: 500
Largest fanbase in Canada (and worldwide), HHOF is here, plenty of Leaf jerseys in movies, etc.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
D3ADLY

well we should be America's team as well after all our fan base does fill up half of their teams arenas

D3ADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Who cares about the rest of Canada? The Leafs are my team and that's all that matters !

FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:22 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Largest fanbase and most recognizeable brand. Leafs fans are all across the country, or really all across the planet.

Few sports franchises are as recognizeable as the Leafs brand is, and that's across all sports, not just the NHL.

Toronto has historically established itself as the Anglophone representative in hockey, versus the Francophone presence enacted by the Montreal Canadiens (or rather, the almost uniquely franco-québecois presence). Across Canada, English is much more widely spoken, and hence a further brand association presents itself among the fanbase.

Toronto is the largest city in Canada, and hence is often times the spotlight in the media. This garners more attention and media focus on all things Torontonian, hence a further magnification of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

There are lots of reasons why the Leafs would be considered Canada's team, but I don't favour one team over another to be Canada's Team. The Leafs are a great franchise with a deep-rooted history and a loyal fanbase, but if you followed the chaotic and ephemeral national psyche and established a true "Canada's Team", my guess would be that whatever team was having the most success, especially in the playoffs, would be Canada's team.

Except of course the Habs, because everyone hates those ****ers.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Bobs your uncle

40 years of the Toronto centric media ramming the Leafs down the throats of Canadians has made them both loved and despised. They stopped being "Canada's Team" when the league expanded beyond two Canada based teams.

Bobs your uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:32 PM
NewFang

Oldest and biggest fanbase.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:34 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan View Post
Nothing. We're Toronto's team and that's fine.
But Toronto IS Canada.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:38 PM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

because the majority of canada either loves or hates the maple leafs.. fans all across canada are passionate (positive or negative) about the maple leafs

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:03 PM
KuleminFan41

They did a poll on tsn or sportsnet and they had every Canadian team but Toronto lol from what I can remember about a year or two ago

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

At some point someone's gonna come in here and post the survey from a couple years ago when the Habs were having their centennial year and were the surprise of the East and the Leafs bottoming put showing them as the most popular team in Canada by a good margin.. wait for it.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:17 PM
spidergoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
I have an interesting take on this from a history class I took last semester in University.

My History Prof was a big hockey fan, and one day we strictly talked about the history of hockey (the class being about Canadian Confederation up to the end of WW2). My Prof always chirped me because on most days I wore my Leafs hat, and he would always reference the Montreal Canadians, so I assumed he was a Habs fan.

Anyways, back in the early days of the NHL obviously their were two Canadian teams in the original six. Of course people who lived in Ontario usually like the leafs, and most people from Quebec liked Montreal.

Canada's history is basically full of tension between the French and the English, ever since Canada's confederation. With that being said, most French people liked Montreal Canadians, and most english speaking Canadians liked the Maple Leafs back in the day. Since english speakers greatly outnumber french speakers, I believe that is why the Leafs became so popular.

Obviously once more teams joined the league, Canada's fan bases became more divided, yet Toronto and Montreal still were strong. We all have our reasons for being Leafs fans, and I would be interested to hear why we all chose the Leafs as our favorite team. My grandfather was a big Leafs fan, and I always watched games with him so it basically rubbed off on me. That works into my theory.

Anyways thats my two cents.
This is the correct answer.
Before the WHL merger, we had two Canadian teams. Fans all across Canada chose one or the other mostly, and given most of the rest of Canada is not French, most chose the Leafs.
My parents were Leaf fans, so am I. (my brother in law is a Wings fan....so is his son)

As for the logo, while it was a nod to the military on the part of Conn Smythe, our flag primarily featured the union jack until 1967. Thus the team had a leaf long before the flag featured one.

With each generation the Leafs are less "Canada's team" though both due to a long history of failure, and more teams across the country for a generation now.

spidergoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:21 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
At some point someone's gonna come in here and post the survey from a couple years ago when the Habs were having their centennial year and were the surprise of the East and the Leafs bottoming put showing them as the most popular team in Canada by a good margin.. wait for it.
I think that Habs fans underestimate the level of hatred of all things Quebec in Western Canada. To me, between the two teams the Leafs are ahead by a wide margin.

East of Quebec is probably about 50-50.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:29 PM
Burkeburger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffler View Post
Nothing. Team Canada is Canada's team. I hate that phrase SO MUCH.
This.

The Leafs are the most popular team in hockey world and has the most fans in the world. It's the most loved team in the whole world. Think about it. It's like wow...

And it's because of so many things. The History of it all, logo, the city, colors, players, everything.

Burkeburger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:36 PM
cynicism

Absolutely Nothing

Calling the Leafs "Canada's team" does nothing other than fulfill the stereotype held by Canadians that Torontonians are arrogant and ignorant brats who can't even have a couple of inches of snow without needing the army to save their skins.

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote