HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Regehr Another Blue Line Bust for Regier

Old
01-31-2012, 03:13 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Regehr Another Blue Line Bust for Regier

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1242

The Regehr fans are not going to like this article.

Quote:
Amidst the egregious screw-ups, one has been largely overlooked: Regier's trade for defenseman Robyn Regehr; a highly lauded move which has turned into a bust.
Quote:
The once great stay-at-home tough guy is now a worn-out shell of what he once was in Calgary. He's still tough and he's still a stand-up leader, but his already below-average speed and skating ability are all but gone. Essentially, the deal has turned into a repeat of the 2007 decision to acquire defenseman Craig Rivet and 2010 choice to pick up Shaone Morrisonn. Both busts.
Quote:
It's impossible to tell whether Regehr's presence is paying dividends for younger players, but Myers' play has not improved. In fact, it's regressed. Myers has rarely shown the type of grit the Sabres hoped he would develop.

Whether the intangibles are paying off or not is hard to say. The cold hard facts, however, paint Regehr as a failure of impressive proportions. Goals Versus Threshold currently ranks Regehr as the 10th worst defenseman in the NHL. He's scored two points in 43 games and is minus-13.

How bad is that? Here are some fun facts to illustrate:

– Eight goalies have more points
– 206 defensemen have more points
– 265 defensemen have a better plus-minus
– 115 defensemen play more shifts per game
– 123 defensemen average more playing time
– 187 defensemen have at least one goal
– 197 defenseman have at least three assists
– Only 39 defensemen have bigger cap hits
Quote:
Butler currently has 11 points and is plus-4 (if you subtract one minus-7 game, he'd be plus-11). He's also only 25-years-old, while Regehr is 31 going on 45.

Make no mistake, Butler is no superstar. But he has often been on the team's top pairing with Jay Bouwmeester. He also ranks 15th on Awad's "most improved players" list.
As an unrelated aside, go figure that a defenseman whose head was constantly ****ed with by Ruff improves when he leaves Buffalo. Who would've thunk it?

Quote:
An oft-made argument for Regehr is that stats don't tell the entire story—that his job is not to score. While that may have been true at times throughout his career, the Sabres badly need scoring. They rank in the bottom five in the NHL in goals. In the past, Regehr has scored a little. He managed 21 points in 2006-07 with very little ice time during the power play. Now when he's on the ice, there's essentially zero chance he'll create a goal.
Quote:
When in the offensive zone, Regehr not only does not create, he also allows the opposition to start rushes of their own. His lack of speed often forces him to drop back into the neutral zone early on "50/50 pucks" that a quicker defenseman likely could have kept in the offensive zone.

His failure to keep the puck in is demonstrated in his Relative Corsi of -19.0, ranking dead last among Sabres regulars. The team's Corsi when he's off the ice is 3.8 and -15.2 when he is on the ice. That is by far the worst ratio on the team.
Quote:
In Regehr's defense, his Relative Corsi Quality of Competition is the highest on the Sabres. He's often—if not always—facing the opponents' top two lines. However, Regehr's Corsi Rel QoC is 1.079. Butler's is 1.809. In other words, Regehr may be facing tough competition, but Butler is facing tougher opponents and performing much better.
Quote:
It's hard to say how much better Buffalo would be with Butler instead of Regehr. There's a good chance the Sabres would still be in last place in the Eastern Conference. And his presence hasn't been all bad. Regehr has been a fairly solid penalty killer. Then again, $4 million cap hit for a "solid penalty killer" on the 21st-ranked penalty kill in the NHL is pretty bad.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:17 PM
SlugLife978

vCash: 500
What is this I don't even...

SlugLife978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:23 PM
PanicItsVanek26

Sure, Butler is good except the fact that no player in the last 20 years has had as bad of a game has he's had.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:28 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
In Regehr's defense, his Relative Corsi Quality of Competition is the highest on the Sabres. He's often—if not always—facing the opponents' top two lines.
And it's a marked improvement over anything we've had in a long, long time.

There are Regehr haters on this board. For sure. But I'm the antithesis of one. Stop dissecting the **** out of stats and watch him play - specifically in front of our own net and in the corners.

He has brought:

- veteran presence
- physicality
- solid PK ability
- toughness
- a true defensive defensman's presence in the top-4

All things that Butler had no chance of bringing. This, so far, is not a bust of a trade. At all.

A -13 on a team that CAN'T ****ING SCORE, while playing against top opponents? Shut the **** up and stop nitpicking. He's so far from anything CLOSE to the problem of this team, and we have to read this.

Also, can someone look up his zone starts? I'd expect them to be heavily in favor of drops in our own end...because he's good defensively.

Not to mention the fact that Byron is....

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:29 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:32 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
An oft-made argument for Regehr is that stats don't tell the entire story—that his job is not to score. While that may have been true at times throughout his career, the Sabres badly need scoring. They rank in the bottom five in the NHL in goals.
Yes, we needed another offensive defenseman this year instead of a stay-at-home guy.

Great analysis, hockeyprospectus.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:34 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
I too write about things without watching them.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:37 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Regehr might not have lived up to the loft expectations, however, I'd hardly call him a bust.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
And it's a marked improvement over anything we've had in a long, long time.

There are Regehr haters on this board. For sure. But I'm the antithesis of one. Stop dissecting the **** out of stats and watch him play - specifically in front of our own net and in the corners.
I hope you're not intimating I'm a Regehr hater, because I'm not. Do I recognize that he's not a top-pairing defenseman in the NHL anymore, though, at least on a contender? I do.

Old
Better Call Saul

I can't believe anyone thinks it's OK to evaluate Regehr by points and plus/minus. It doesn't really get any dumber than that. As for the advanced metrics, I swear by them in baseball because I know how effective they are in that sport. Hockey, on the other hand? Meh.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Zip15

I think you should write the author an e-mail to express your outrage. Let him have it.

Last edited by vcv: 01-31-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Not 4chan
Old
01-31-2012, 03:40 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
In what world was Rivet a bust? Was it because he didn't single-handedly carry them into the playoffs?

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Bust? Strong terms for a guy who's been as advertised since arrival. Eh. Time to pile on someone who's actually done their job...

01-31-2012, 03:45 PM
slip

Regehr has been our best defender this year, and it ain't even close.

I wish I too could pull articles out of my ass and call it sports journalism.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:45 PM
joshjull

We should start organizing these hits pieces so we can focus on bashing one player/owner/management member at a time.

Can't have Pommer and Regehr sharing a day.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Clock

Thanks for the extract, Zip. I knew I wouldn't have to bother clicking and wasting my time once their first criticism of Robyn Regehr was based on points.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:47 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I hope you're not intimating I'm a Regehr hater, because I'm not. Do I recognize that he's not a top-pairing defenseman in the NHL anymore, though, at least on a contender? I do.
I think that's debatable at this very moment in time - but even if he's not, Sekera and Ehrhoff have both shown to be able to handle big minutes and/or top opposition. Again...Regehr brought a handful of things that were blatantly absent from this unit. Insinuating we would be better with Butler and Byron instead of Regehr is insulting to people who watch him play and have watched the team D as a whole over the past several seasons.

Seems that this bears repeating: THE DEFENSIVE UNIT IS NOT A PROBLEM. The top-6 we have is not the problem of this team, and Regehr isn't a problem of this top-6, which again, is not a problem in and of itself.

The team's problem is up front, plain and simple. Could we ask for some better goaltending? Sure. But when your forwards commit the two biggest, basic overall hockey sins at their position...:

- FAILURE TO SCORE/PRODUCE OFFENSE

- FAILURE TO COMPREHEND DEFENSIVE ZONE RESPONSIBILITY

...your team disintegrates, as we currently are witnessing.

I wasn't intimating that you were a hater. Jame is, though - right, buddy?

Old
01-31-2012, 04:03 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

This article is painful to read. Coller has a mini back and forth debate with himself in nearly every paragraph. "Fact against Regehr. However, fact in favor. Then again, Butler related fact against."

I'm not as impressed with him as I thought I'd be, but he brings elements that the defense was sorely lacking. When you're sorely lacking something, it's common to pay a premium to add it.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:05 PM
Zip15

I'm surprised nobody has attacked the author on the grounds that he's the guy who asked Kassian why he hasn't fought more.

Old
01-31-2012, 04:05 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
This article is painful to read. Coller has a mini back and forth debate with himself in nearly every paragraph. "Fact against Regehr. However, fact in favor. Then again, Butler related fact against."

I'm not as impressed with him as I thought I'd be, but he brings elements that the defense was sorely lacking. When you're sorely lacking something, it's common to pay a premium to add it.
And this is where Regier gets unwarranted flack. With due respect...pay a premium? What "premium" did he pay to improve the D? Ehrhoff's cap hit is perfectly fine for his play, and getting Regehr by giving up Chris Butler was hardly a tough concession.

Regier improved the D tremendously with those two moves. You can reach and give him credit for McNabb, too, since he did draft him

Old
01-31-2012, 04:07 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'm surprised nobody has attacked the author on the grounds that he's the guy who asked Kassian why he hasn't fought more.
Probably because most didn't catch that. Wow. Nice one.

Old
01-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Regehr has NOT lived up to expectations. As advertised? Not the advertisement I saw...

Quote:
He has brought:

- veteran presence
- physicality
- solid PK ability
- toughness
- a true defensive defensman's presence in the top-4
did you separate physcallity and toughness on purpose?

Robyn Regehr has demonstrated that he is no longer a top 4 defensemen. It probably took you awhile to recognize the same thing when Rivet was here.

Aside from being a much better body checker and healthier... He's pretty much Craig Rivet.

not criticisizing Regier for making the trade. It was a great deal at the time. And i don't mind it at all, even today with Regehr showing his limitations and lack of fit in the system.

Last edited by vcv: 01-31-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Keep it relevant
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I think that's debatable at this very moment in time - but even if he's not, Sekera and Ehrhoff have both shown to be able to handle big minutes and/or top opposition. Again...Regehr brought a handful of things that were blatantly absent from this unit. Insinuating we would be better with Butler and Byron instead of Regehr is insulting to people who watch him play and have watched the team D as a whole over the past several seasons.

Seems that this bears repeating: THE DEFENSIVE UNIT IS NOT A PROBLEM. The top-6 we have is not the problem of this team, and Regehr isn't a problem of this top-6, which again, is not a problem in and of itself.

The team's problem is up front, plain and simple. Could we ask for some better goaltending? Sure. But when your forwards commit the two biggest, basic overall hockey sins at their position...:

- FAILURE TO SCORE/PRODUCE OFFENSE

- FAILURE TO COMPREHEND DEFENSIVE ZONE RESPONSIBILITY

...your team disintegrates, as we currently are witnessing.

I wasn't intimating that you were a hater. Jame is, though - right, buddy?
Im not a hater. I like everything about the deal to acquire Regehr. I like Regehr as a player. On a contender, who would be a 3rd pairing defensemen, who was kept away from dangerous offensive lines with speed. He would be on the PK. Maybe the veteran leader we all heard about would re-appear on a contender.

Old
01-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
The cold hard facts, however, paint Regehr as a failure of impressive proportions. Goals Versus Threshold currently ranks Regehr as the 10th worst defenseman in the NHL.
That's what happens when you play a veteran, physical, pk, 3rd pairing defensemen against top scoring lines.

Old
01-31-2012, 04:25 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
oh look, another thread defending this team/players/owner/staff against criticism... who would've guessed.

Regehr has NOT lived up to expectations. As advertised? Not the advertisement I saw...

did you separate physcallity and toughness on purpose?

Robyn Regehr has demonstrated that he is no longer a top 4 defensemen. It probably took you awhile to recognize the same thing when Rivet was here.

Aside from being a much better body checker and healthier... He's pretty much Craig Rivet.

Keep drinking the kool aid buffalo....

not criticisizing Regier for making the trade. It was a great deal at the time. And i don't mind it at all, even today with Regehr showing his limitations and lack of fit in the system.
Physicality and toughness aren't the same thing, and Regehr has injected dimensions that have been absent for a long time.

More like, "oh, look, another misguided, attempted shot at a flailing franchise" in which the problem has no relation to the topic being discussed.

Far, far, far from a bust of a trade.