Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2012, 02:09 PM
oldunclehue

vCash: 500
Question: Is there a chance Wpg may get the 2013 draft? Last year Minnesota had it, this year its in Pitty so you'd think after two american cities a Canadian one would be next.

Would love to see it as it's supposed to be a great draft class!

Old
01-31-2012, 02:09 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Highly doubt it
But you never know I guess

Old
01-31-2012, 02:16 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldunclehue View Post
Question: Is there a chance Wpg may get the 2013 draft? Last year Minnesota had it, this year its in Pitty so you'd think after two american cities a Canadian one would be next.

Would love to see it as it's supposed to be a great draft class!
We were supposed to get it in 1996 before the team relocated so we're do.

We're also one of only 4 or 5 cities to never have hosted the All star Game

Old
01-31-2012, 02:35 PM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
We were supposed to get it in 1996 before the team relocated so we're do.

We're also one of only 4 or 5 cities to never have hosted the All star Game
We're only due to hold a draft in the sense that we'd be magically entitled to hold one because the Jets were promised so back in 1996. Otherwise, and more realistically, the league treats the draft as a media event to boost the league's profile and Winnipeg isn't a sufficiently big media market. Also our economic market is already fully saturated and thus there's little to be gained by the league.

As for the All-Star game, see the above. Winnipeg didn't and won't get the All-Star game because the event is a purpose-built media zoo and Winnipeg doesn't have a sufficiently sized media market. That's why the comparison between Winnipeg and Ottawa was as divorced from reality as it was. Ottawa is the nation's capital and is geographically tucked in between the Toronto English language market and the Montreal French language market.

Old
01-31-2012, 02:40 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I really hope Tanner Pearson is still available to us in the 2nd round.

He is still lighting up the OHL even though was taken off Scheifele's line.

Old
01-31-2012, 03:13 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmanPat1919 View Post
We're only due to hold a draft in the sense that we'd be magically entitled to hold one because the Jets were promised so back in 1996. Otherwise, and more realistically, the league treats the draft as a media event to boost the league's profile and Winnipeg isn't a sufficiently big media market. Also our economic market is already fully saturated and thus there's little to be gained by the league.

As for the All-Star game, see the above. Winnipeg didn't and won't get the All-Star game because the event is a purpose-built media zoo and Winnipeg doesn't have a sufficiently sized media market. That's why the comparison between Winnipeg and Ottawa was as divorced from reality as it was. Ottawa is the nation's capital and is geographically tucked in between the Toronto English language market and the Montreal French language market.
Not sure how you figure it has anything to do with the media market considering Columbus is hosting next year and Carolina hosted last year. With Phoenix being promised th game if the team stays (and the arizona republic doesn't even send a team on the road with the Coyotes. Stellar media coverage there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I really hope Tanner Pearson is still available to us in the 2nd round.

He is still lighting up the OHL even though was taken off Scheifele's line.
So is Pearson now onteh second line or is Sheif on the second?

Last edited by cheswick: 01-31-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old
01-31-2012, 03:22 PM
mondo3

vCash: 571
I think Wpg is a feel good story for the NHL; might get them more media attention than normal

Old
01-31-2012, 04:36 PM
surixon

If Ottawa can get a draft and allstar game, both within the last 5 years, there is no reason to think that we couldn't do the same. It wont happen until the shed and convention center expansion are complete though, as I don't think Winnipeg meets the hotel and convention space requirements yet.

Old
01-31-2012, 04:44 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
So is Pearson now onteh second line or is Sheif on the second?
I believe Scheifele was bumped to the second line and Pearson was playing with Hall and Behenna (I'm not sure if that is still the case, but it was for a few games).

Old
01-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmanPat1919 View Post

I'm sorry, but I find this ridiculous.

A city's location is irrelevant to this discussion. People who like the ASG are already fans of the league. They will watch, or they won't. It being in a 'smaller media market' (whatever that REALLY means nowadays) has nothing to do with it. All the same media will come to cover it, it will be very well attended, and the exact same number of people will watch it on television and other media. Do you actually think the NHL gained even one fan by having the game in Ottawa this year, or the draft in Minneapolis last summer?

I'd like to hear you explain why having the ASG or draft in Winnipeg would be less meaningful than having it in Ottawa or Minneapolis in a more tangible way than using terms that are as effective as gym-built muscle.

01-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Huffer

I would personally rather have the draft than the ASG, but I could see how others might rather have an ASG.

Old
01-31-2012, 05:37 PM
sully1410

I wonder where they would hold the draft if they had it in Winnipeg?

Fort Garry or the Marlborough perhaps. They typically hold it in hotels. I'm not sure if either of those fit the bill, but their both in relatively close proximity to the convention centre of the Burton Cummings theatre.

Old
01-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post

Fort Garry or the Marlborough perhaps. They typically hold it in hotels. I'm not sure if either of those fit the bill, but their both in relatively close proximity to the convention centre of the Burton Cummings theatre.
The NHL draft? It's never ever held in hotels. Always the rink. Never heard of a NHL draft in a hotel...? It would be at MTS Centre.

EDIT: It is possible that the 05 draft was held in a hotel, since it was coming out a lockout and was thrown together in a few days. But yah otherwise, always in the rink.

Old
01-31-2012, 05:52 PM
KingSalamon

I think that once the new Hotel goes up across from the MTS centre, there will be a place to hold all the out of town guests and a draft is a possibility. (if the Jets came back... who's to stop believing that we could host a draft/ASG)

As for drafting players... I think we need to get heavier as Noel would call it... pick bigger guys... I don/t mind Welly and Little but they need some big boys to help them out.

Old
02-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

The CHL prospects game is tonight, Team Cherry vs Team Orr. Lots of top names there including Grigorenko, Reinhart, Ebert, Murray, Pearson, Faksa, Frk, Gaunce, Athanasiou, etc. I'll prob check it out. It's on a 9cst on Sportsnet here in Canada, or NHL Network in the states.

Old
02-01-2012, 03:58 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
The NHL draft? It's never ever held in hotels. Always the rink. Never heard of a NHL draft in a hotel...? It would be at MTS Centre.

EDIT: It is possible that the 05 draft was held in a hotel, since it was coming out a lockout and was thrown together in a few days. But yah otherwise, always in the rink.
The draft started in the 60's and was hosted in a hotel or the NHL offices up until 1979 but since 1980 it has always been held in an arena with the exception of the aforementioned 2005 draft (and I think Vancouver held it in the football stadium one year).

The draft used to always be held in Montreal. The first 22 drafts were all in Montreal.

The draft didn't used to be a specticle and i think some years they did it by conference call. But since it has become an event its been in an arena

Old
02-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Huffer

Anyone watch the Top Prospects game?

I only caught a little. Of what I saw, I thought that Reinhart and Pouliot looked pretty good.

Old
02-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post

I only caught a little. Of what I saw, I thought that Reinhart and Pouliot looked pretty good.
I really wanted to stay up to watch it, but I somehow fell asleep at 10 last night. Considering I was a Kings fan #1 before Jets, I am used to the late games (also missed the Kings-Jackets fiasco) but last night just couldn't stay up. Caught a little bit, not enough to make any judgements

Old
02-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I really wanted to stay up to watch it, but I somehow fell asleep at 10 last night. Considering I was a Kings fan #1 before Jets, I am used to the late games (also missed the Kings-Jackets fiasco) but last night just couldn't stay up. Caught a little bit, not enough to make any judgements
I didn't watch the whole thing either. But those two guys didn't look too bad in my limited viewing.

I have to think that Reinharts combination of size and skating will be too much for many GM's to pass on. Not making a judgment call on his talent compared to others in the draft, or saying he's going to go like in the top 5 or anything. But just saying that when you see a guy that's already 6'4", over 200 lbs, and skating like that in junior, I think it makes scouts and GM's salivate.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:

I watched the game, it was a real snoozer. You're right Pouliot looked really good moving the puck. I'm not really a fan of Reinhart, but he did play well last night also.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I watched the game, it was a real snoozer. You're right Pouliot looked really good moving the puck. I'm not really a fan of Reinhart, but he did play well last night also.
Yeah, either not a real lot of high end forwards, or the defensemen are that much better I guess.

Would you say that last nights game wasn't a reflection of Reinharts play this season? I.E. He played better last night than usual?

Anyone else stand out to you?

Old
02-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Yeah, either not a real lot of high end forwards, or the defensemen are that much better I guess.

Would you say that last nights game wasn't a reflection of Reinharts play this season? I.E. He played better last night than usual?

Anyone else stand out to you?
I think Reinhart raised his game since a lot of scouts were watching (which isn't a bad thing), but his consistency isn't where it should be.

I liked what I saw from RW Tom Wilson, even though his offensive upside isn't as high as some. He played a tough/gritty game.

I wasn't really impressed by any of the other players games last night. Us fans sure did miss out on a lot of high end talent not playing last night (Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Reilly, Ceci, Maatta, Koekkoek, Subban, etc).

Old
02-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I think Reinhart raised his game since a lot of scouts were watching (which isn't a bad thing), but his consistency isn't where it should be.

I liked what I saw from RW Tom Wilson, even though his offensive upside isn't as high as some. He played a tough/gritty game.

I wasn't really impressed by any of the other players games last night. Us fans sure did miss out on a lot of high end talent not playing last night (Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Reilly, Ceci, Maatta, Koekkoek, Subban, etc).
I forgot about Wilson, I did see him lay out a nice hit in the 1st. He defiantly looked bigger than most guys out there to me. If he developed even a little bit of an offensive game he could be a beast. Is anyone comparing him to a guy like Lucic?

Wilson's draft year (so far)
GP G A Pts PIM +/-
41 7 15 22 122 18

Lucic's draft year

GP G A Pts PIM +/-
62 9 10 19 149 4

Thrower didn't look at that bad either.

I was hoping to see more from guys like Gaunce, Faksa, and Frk to be honest.

Old
02-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
I forgot about Wilson, I did see him lay out a nice hit in the 1st. He defiantly looked bigger than most guys out there to me. If he developed even a little bit of an offensive game he could be a beast. Is anyone comparing him to a guy like Lucic?

Wilson's draft year (so far)
GP G A Pts PIM +/-
41 7 15 22 122 18

Lucic's draft year

GP G A Pts PIM +/-
62 9 10 19 149 4

Thrower didn't look at that bad either.
I think a lot of people are hoping he could become a Lucic type player. It's completely possible, nobody thought Lucic would develop into the type of player he has. The scoring ability could be there if he's developed properly.

Quote:
I was hoping to see more from guys like Gaunce, Faksa, and Frk to be honest.
I was also watching Gaunce and Faksa. Both didn't preform to the level they can and have in the OHL. I'm not a fan of Frk, his skating is below average, he doesn't play with consistency, not the hardest of workers either, and he's been hyped for a couple years without really improving any of those skills. Injuries definitely haven't helped out with his development, but that's just an excuse more than a reality. He seems to be living off his past ranking a lot more than others have. I see Frk sliding into the lower half of the 1st, possibly the early second.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:36 PM
lanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post

Fort Garry or the Marlborough perhaps. They typically hold it in hotels.
Maybe you're thinking of the combine. It's usually in a hotel, but I think it's always in Toronto.

Closed Thread